• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

I know I'm late into a big thread, but I can't believe that those denied entry, unaware of Trump's order, were still charged with breaking immigration law

C3WpPKCXAAEyfZR.jpg

CS_Dan

Our research lab (in the UK) is withdrawing about half of our attendees from a conference in Denver this year because of this. Luckily it's in Canada next year and Scotland in 2019, but I can't imagine it's back in the states while this is active.

nomis

What a complete and utter disgrace. What an affront to dignity and humanity.
The Trump administration should take a long hard look at the poem inscribed unto a bronze plaque, nestled inside the statue of liberty.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

These are the values worth fighting for. These are, or at least were, the principles that made america great.

You see, this would matter if we were dealing with human beings but sadly we are not.

When I quoted The New Colossus on twitter this is what I got in return from a pepe amongst a horde of them

">Jew poem on a french statue
LOL
Send the thing back to France IDGAF"

Also

"Oh funny a poem written by a Jew saying whites should take the garbage of the world."

Mifune

Mehmber
Don't know if it was announced but the LAX protest is done for the night. All the detainees have been released. Including this guy's pop:

944NFXy.jpg

Musician

Let's be clear here. That sonnet might have been inscribed within the Statue of Liberty, but we have fallen short of it so very many times since Emma Lazarus wrote it. It was written only a year after the Chinese Exclusion Act. Which helped foment the anti-immigrant rhetoric that led to things like the Rock Springs massacre a year later. And then the Geary Act came soon after that. Some years later, the Immigration Act of 1924 was written. In 1939, the USA turned away the MS St. Louis, carrying 900 Jewish refugees. And Executive Order 9066 came a few years after that. The Magnuson Act happened a year after the internment travesty. Decades later in the latter quarter of the century, we might have accepted refugees from Southeast Asia and Cuba, but neither of those were publicly popular either. We intercepted thousands of those Cubans and held them at internment facilities at Guantanamo. Most of them were lucky enough to get into the USA, but at the same time, we intercepted thousands of Haitian refugees of which something like less half got in.

We've certainly done better since we helped draft the 1951 U.N. Refugee Convention (and its 1967 amendment), but let's not have a rose-colored view of history either. We've done poorly by refugees and immigrants for a long time, and even when the government has done right, it hasn't often been popular.

Thanks for the reply. You're right, of course. The real world usually turns out to be a whole lot uglier than poetry would have it. Nevertheless, as an above poster wrote, they're ideals a country should be fighting for, not against.

Your country was built on the idea of a new start for every man, was it not? It's strange how those who call themselves conservatives and patriots tend to have views so utterly opposed to those outlined in their precious constitution.

SilentRob

This has probably already been posted but I haven't seen it myself.

If any US citizen reading this needs any more motivation to get out there and protest and resist, this is the video of an American-Iranian crying because his brother is not being let into the country. There was one especially profound thing he said:
"We ran away from Iran because they would do something like this. But we didn't know we would have the same situation here."

For a few days now I've been in a state of constant anger.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is awful and disgusting.

But hey, it's just Democrats and Liberals butthurt that their party lost. We need to just work with Trump and give him a chance. /s

I'm literally shaking with anger. We tried to warn people that this was a very real danger. We tried to get allies to be more active in their support of marginalized groups. And our "allies" were all talk. Keyboard warriors and that was it. When the time came to keep Donald Trump out of office, they let us down.

I admit I am legit terrified for my family and friends. Not to mention the millions of other minorities (this includes the LGBTQ community, Asians, Muslims, Blacks, Mexicans, etc, etc; i just use "minorities" or "marginalized groups" as a short hand) struggling even more to live in this country. Naturally I'm afraid for myself too, but I figured that went without saying.

This is quite literally a nightmare for us. It doesn't matter that "Hillary got more votes!" when the person sitting in the White House is signing executive orders that are fucking over millions of lives.

Fucking nightmarish.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
QMnb06f.png

It won't happen, but doesn't matter, because the protests will be glorious. He won't be able to go anywhere.

Just to highlight something about this that I didn't realise until I read the petition itself - this is not a petition to ban Trump entry to the UK, only to prevent it being a State visit. They appreciate that he is able to visit the UK for diplomatic purposes, they just don't want him to meet the Queen, have a formal ceremony etc while he is here:
The petition states: "Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen."
State visits are grand occasions requiring an invitation from the Queen, and are distinct from regular visits by heads of state. The Queen usually receives one or two heads of state a year.

Crispy

From an outsider's perepective (I live in Europe), it's particularly frightening to see how much power the president of the U.S. actually has and how this power can have a significant effect on the entire world in the hands of an incapable wielder.

That said, I'm glad to see so many reactions on here, disapproving what he did and seeing Americans taking to the streets. I hope everyone in the world sees that and doesn't blame the American people themselves for this mess.

deadduck

Just to highlight something about this that I didn't realise until I read the petition itself - this is not a petition to ban Trump entry to the UK, only to prevent it being a State visit. They appreciate that he is able to visit the UK for diplomatic purposes, they just don't want him to meet the Queen, have a formal ceremony etc while he is here:

The cost of policing this will be unreal.

Alx

Why would they teach the power that a US President has in a history class in Europe? They don't teach the powers of the various European leaders in history class in America.

As a matter of fact we do learn a bit about how the US politics work (or at least we did when I was at school, in France), but we certainly do not get into such details as what he's able to do through decrees, on his own initiative and without any external support.

Carn82

As a matter of fact we do learn a bit about how the US politics work (or at least we did when I was at school, in France), but we certainly do not get into such details as what he's able to do through decrees, on his own initiative and without any external support.

Yup, same here in The Netherlands. Pretty much just the basics of the American political system. We did have to lean all the states during geography tho. Woo-hoo.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
do they not teach you this in history class?

You guys aren't the only country you know. Why would a European history class go in depth into the US political system? I went through the UK school system and we probably spent a grand total of 2 hours on how our Parliament works

kess

You see, this would matter if we were dealing with human beings but sadly we are not.

When I quoted The New Colossus on twitter this is what I got in return from a pepe amongst a horde of them

">Jew poem on a french statue
LOL
Send the thing back to France IDGAF"

Also

"Oh funny a poem written by a Jew saying whites should take the garbage of the world."

Unless they sprung from thin air, the chances are they are descendants of immigrants, using the inventions of immigrants, and breathing the culture of immigrants. They are morons.

Do they teach you the specific powers of the German chancelor or British prime minister? Please.
Why would they teach the power that a US President has in a history class in Europe? They don't teach the powers of the various European leaders in history class in America.
You guys aren't the only country you know. Why would a European history class go in depth into the US political system? I went through the UK school system and we probably spent a grand total of 2 hours on how our Parliament works
In fairness to that poster, I don't think they're suggesting that you should know the complete breakdown of American civics. The original comment was that it was "particularly frightening to see how much power the president of the U.S. actually has," and I do agree to some extent that a student of history would probably have seen the enormous power wielded (quite often abusively) by the office of the President.

Just throwing this out there
Maryland police ask woman her immigration status as she walks down her street

This might seem like "just" another racist police incident but think about what this means

well the slippery slope is getting more greasy.
At the border they will get, or have got, authorisation to go through social media accounts. Since it is impossible to keep undesirables out completely, police should have powers to check someone who they have reason to believe might have skipped border controls: a spot check on their social media profile and immigration status is appropriate, nothing an immigration officer isn't already allowed to do. Perhaps a little quiz as well to detect whether they support the constitution and the authority of the president.
It is all entirely logical, it follows neatly. Only someone with something to hide could possibly object.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
In fairness to that poster, I don't think they're suggesting that you should know the complete breakdown of American civics. The original comment was that it was "particularly frightening to see how much power the president of the U.S. actually has," and I do agree to some extent that a student of history would probably have seen the enormous power wielded (quite often abusively) by the office of the President.

Fair enough, I see that now

I had a government course in high school. It was a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom