• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hEist

o9V0K0q.png

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/826037516478341123

Waiting for Trumps response. something something against the UN.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
OH! Okay. Close the thread guys, all is going well. Man, why didn't he tell us earlier that Secretary Kelly said this? Phew, I was getting worried over nothing.

Zushin

This has probably already been posted but I haven't seen it myself.

If any US citizen reading this needs any more motivation to get out there and protest and resist, this is the video of an American-Iranian crying because his brother is not being let into the country. There was one especially profound thing he said:

For a few days now I've been in a state of constant anger.

This has got me in tears. I wish I could say he would be welcome in my country, but Australia is just as pathetic and unethical at the moment with our ex-immigration minister (and current treasurer) proclaiming proudly that "the rest of the world is finally catching up to Australia" on border security.

in the US, i did learn about the government structure for some of the superpowers throughout history. so for Europe, that would be more like classical rome or 19th century england, not modern day UK or Germany

i wish we learned more about modern europe, but we basically stopped after the USSR. i guess that's when things stopped being historical and started being current events, so the history curriculum never covered it when i was in school

i'll admit that it's a double standard because many older governments were monarchies and didn't need a lot of detailed explanation, but the head of the US military is kind of a big deal from 1940 onwards.

in the US, i did learn about the government structure for some of the superpowers throughout history. so for Europe, that would be more like classical rome or 19th century england, not modern day UK or Germany

i wish we learned more about modern europe, but we basically stopped after the USSR. i guess that's when things stopped being historical and started being current events, so the history curriculum never covered it when i was in school

i'll admit that it's a double standard because many older governments were monarchies and didn't need a lot of detailed explanation, but the head of the US military is kind of a big deal from 1940 onwards.
Actually that is a good point about it not being historical. That's a good reason to have students take a Global/Currents Events class if possible. Need possibilities like Model UN for those interested as well.

How far away are we from riots now?

And are they justified? I feel like they would be at this point
Mhmmm. Dunno. If we get definitive proof that Trump really was ordering the CBP to ignore court orders and that people are being shipped to black sites or something, I could see massive civil unrest.

RPGCrazied

These new tweets. Every morning waking up is something awful from this man. Someone in congress really needs to start the impeachment process. We can't do this for 4 years.

The tears of Schumer are the real problem.

Fuck

This

Motherfucker

Yeah came to post this , you don't have to take tweet sequences out of context to make him look bad. Look for the total message. The tears of Schumer were to blame (along with computers and protesters). Wow. He is so fucking stupid he didn't blame the correct fire starter - michael moore.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
How far away are we from riots now?

And are they justified? I feel like they would be at this point

I've been thinking a lot about this recently. How will this end? How can it end? After just 10 days, actual riots seem like a real possibility. How can this country survive 4 years with this man. What could possibly happen to defuse this situation? Trump won't step down, and unless somebody finds something he won't get impeached.
I seriously can't even begin to predict how things will look one year from now.

Does he even know about it though?

I'm sure he has set up a Google Alert for "Muslim"

I think you guys have enough ammo to impeach him now. .. please... It hurts to watch this happen to a country whose freedoms I could respect...

Charles M Blow has been writing some fiery stuff lately.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/opinion/no-trump-not-on-our-watch.html

When Barack Obama was in office — remember the good old days, just over a week ago, when we didn’t wake up every morning and wonder what new atrocity was emanating from the White House

Trump’s America is brutal, perverse, regressive, insular and afraid. There is no hope in it; there is no light in it. It is a vast expanse of darkness and desolation.

Not only is Trump a literacy-lite, conspiracy-chasing, compulsively lying bigot, he is also a narcissistic workaholic who now wields the power of the presidency. You could not have conceived of a more dangerous combination of characteristics. He is the paragon of the clueless and an idol of the Ku Kluxers.

America will not stand for this, so if obsequious conservative politicians or lily-livered liberal ones won’t sufficiently stand up to this demagogic dictator, then the American people will do the job themselves.

I don't understand... How's he lying? Delta DID/Does have major outages. I'm at the airport now. Major delays

He is lying about tears.
Protests at the airport are protests, AFAIK, not attempts to block people getting on flights or off flights, so it is hard to know where his mind is at. Other than trying to play down the protests.

jiiikoo

Banned
Sean Spicer on Morning Joe.
https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/826053821478510592

Not even answering about the "imminent threat" he talked about. Boldfaced lying if you ask me.

Spicer defending the sudden nature of the immigration EO:

"What would happen if we didn't act and somebody was killed" (his emphasis)

wow.

Yep. Next it's "Trump signs EO that bans everyone" and the thinking is the same "we had to do this because something could/might happen. Imagine if we didn't do this and something happened, like anything".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom