• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is 'getting him fired' is up to his employer, and not this mob justice shit.

It's much, much more likely to happen if people can actually complain about a specific person, know that the footage and photographs that they have are of a specific person, et cetera. People can (and now, will) absolutely put a LOT of pressure on his employer to fire him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's much, much more likely to happen if people can actually complain about a specific person, know that the footage and photographs that they have are of a specific person, et cetera. People can (and now, will) absolutely put a LOT of pressure on his employer to fire him.

And now the employee can expect a lot of pressure on his real life. One reason why people post these personal details is that inside, they hope that some 4chan kid will select this particular 'injustice' (decided upon by youtube viewers...great) and go after him so they can feel some satisfaction. Ridiculous.

akira28

Exactly how is calling and emailing him and his superior, both of whom can be found here: http://police.ucdavis.edu/campus-services/support-services-division, and telling them that you don't support what they did and think it was wrong. How is that in any way mob justice?

Irony is he's the Lt for the division in charge of police complaints, training, and hiring. How about that business?

And now the employee can expect a lot of pressure on his real life. One reason why people post these personal details is that inside, they hope that some 4chan kid will select this particular 'injustice' (decided upon by youtube viewers...great) and go after him so they can feel some satisfaction. Ridiculous.

It's his professional information. It's public domain. What is the problem here?

Yeah 4chan has killed so many people.

Alucrid

Banned
Exactly how is calling and emailing him and his superior, both of whom can be found here: http://police.ucdavis.edu/campus-services/support-services-division, and telling them that you don't support what they did and think it was wrong. How is that in any way mob justice?

Irony is he's the Lt for the division in charge of police complaints, training, and hiring. How about that business?

Probably by sending him pizzas and subscriptions to magazines.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat

It's his work contact information. In the words of Manos, cry me a river.

akira28

Obviously he needs to eat his fucking vegetables. Go ahead and send him a pizza, via email, shit. It's not even like they have an address posted. His office phone number and his Police Dept email address. If you wanted to send a pizza to the UC-Davis police dept in care of the officer's publicly listed name, do it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How is that in any way mob justice?

Let's see what the mob thinks, via youtube comments:

"People should pepper-spray the cops."
"UC Davis cops are pigs."
"Paint-filled balloons make those riot masks quite limiting."
"look at the NAZI's putting their chemicals to use. There was no justification for the use of force or abuse on American citizens!!!"
"i absolutely hate the police, they are on a power trip with their 30,000 a year salary"
"The cops are ignorant assholes!!! I'd like to see them without the uniform and any weapons....and let's see if the act tough like they do in this video."
"there are more people than cops...i wish anarachy had happened. I wish they like all attacked them."

Mob mentality. There's people trying to have a rational conversation in there but...it's youtube comments. That kind of thing doesn't happen.

Dude Abides

Banned
Let's see what the mob thinks, via youtube comments:

"People should pepper-spray the cops."
"UC Davis cops are pigs."
"Paint-filled balloons make those riot masks quite limiting."
"look at the NAZI's putting their chemicals to use. There was no justification for the use of force or abuse on American citizens!!!"
"i absolutely hate the police, they are on a power trip with their 30,000 a year salary"
"The cops are ignorant assholes!!! I'd like to see them without the uniform and any weapons....and let's see if the act tough like they do in this video."
"there are more people than cops...i wish anarachy had happened. I wish they like all attacked them."

Mob mentality. There's people trying to have a rational conversation in there but...it's youtube comments. That kind of thing doesn't happen.

My god, YouTube commenters are saying mean things! I hope they have 24-hour security at this guy's house, he might get lynched!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
oh my gosh what an irrational and crazy thing to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a little irrational. You're looking at video from one point of view and people are interpreting the law how they want to. The only actual judgment that should matter is what a court of law comes to. You probably think I have too much faith in the justice system, because me saying that opens me up to "well what about ____ who didn't get convicted" and on and on, but you have to have a certain amount of faith in the justice system for it to work, or you just have anarchy and frontier justice.

Angry Fork

It's a little irrational. You're looking at video from one point of view and people are interpreting the law how they want to. The only actual judgment that should matter is what a court of law comes to. You probably think I have too much faith in the justice system, because me saying that opens me up to "well what about ____ who didn't get convicted" and on and on, but you have to have a certain amount of faith in the justice system for it to work, or you just have anarchy and frontier justice.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Not going to bother responding to everything else but honestly it makes me feel sick that someone like you can exist.

akira28

Sunflower, so all of it becomes mob justice because you read some angry comments on youtube?

Please place your hands behind your head and step away from the keyboard.

2-Terms of Kombat

No one's wanting to to tear down the justice system; plenty of people do, however, have a healthy pessimism in the system actually delivering justice to those sworn to uphold it, particularly in departments as notoriously insular as law enforcement. Public pressure tends to help the process along so pretending like the guy's work contact information being posted is some dangerous breach of privacy is silly.

Well, yes and no. I do have *some* faith in the justice system as well (but not that much - it's got a well-documented bias in favor of letting cops get away with practically anything as long as they can claim that they felt threatened - it hasn't by any means solved the eternal 'quis custodiet ipsos custodes' problem), but there are several sorts of penalties this guy can suffer: criminal, civil, professional, and personal. I'm not advocating for *personal* shit to happen to him. But he can suffer professional penalties even if this never actually goes to a court of law.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You should be ashamed of yourself. Not going to bother responding to everything else but honestly it makes me feel sick that someone like you can exist.

You're the person who thinks that ANY cop deserves to get stabbed because of their field of work. Come on now. I'm standing behind the justice system and I hope it improves, but not at the point where cops are being stabbed by protestors. There's peaceful answers here.

For the record, the video APPEARS to be excessive, but it's also NOT MY CALL.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god these multi-quotes are so nice.

No one's wanting to to tear down the justice system; plenty of people do, however, have a healthy pessimism in the system actually delivering justice to those sworn to uphold it, particularly in departments as notoriously insular as law enforcement. Public pressure tends to help the process along so pretending like the guy's work contact information being posted is some dangerous breach of privacy is silly.

I had my sites mixed up - another one I frequent -was- posting his personal information out there for justice, and I got my wires crossed. If the info posted here was simply to his employer, I have no issue with that.

Well, yes and no. I do have *some* faith in the justice system as well (but not that much - it's got a well-documented bias in favor of letting cops get away with practically anything as long as they can claim that they felt threatened - it hasn't by any means solved the eternal 'quis custodiet ipsos custodes' problem), but there are several sorts of penalties this guy can suffer: criminal, civil, professional, and personal. I'm not advocating for *personal* shit to happen to him. But he can suffer professional penalties even if this never actually goes to a court of law.

I completely agree with this.

akira28

Hey..the man chooses blind faith in the face of vague, undefined, theoretical dangers. It's not like rationality and logic could win the day, we got people killing and raping and shooting in the streets at every one of these OWS protests. College anarchists are coming out of the woodworks. We NEED the cops, or OWS will destroy America. So...sitting college students, beware. Pepperspray for America.

Angry Fork

Posting personal information and ruining their lives is the only way to get them to stop, otherwise they get away with it and it's business as usual. At least that's the only way without violence. Remember that judge guy who beat on his daughter? What would happen if the 'justice' system was to make a decision on that instead of the video tape + internet?

2-Terms of Kombat
Posting personal information and ruining their lives is the only way to get them to stop, otherwise they get away with it and it's business as usual. At least that's the only way without violence. Remember that judge guy who beat on his daughter? What would happen if the 'justice' system was to make a decision on that instead of the video tape + internet?

As far as I recall (I could be wrong) the video didn't include a home address or telephone number. The judge was well known and the video itself was enough to put a spotlight on him. The people and the press have a name for this officer now, his anonymity is gone. Posting personal information (which anyone crazy enough to do something stupid could likely track down anyway) just ups the ante for the potential for violent reprisal, I would think.

akira28

Vigilantes can't stick to official channels though, and can't expect any kind of official support. I wouldn't support the posting of anyone's personal info in an official capacity either, regardless of if I thought personal action was warranted.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh god these multi-quotes are so nice.

I had my sites mixed up - another one I frequent -was- posting his personal information out there for justice, and I got my wires crossed. If the info posted here was simply to his employer, I have no issue with that.

I completely agree with this.

I agree. With multi-quoting I can now waste time arguing on the internet 453% more effectively than before. Prepare yourselves.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I do not agree with you that ruining someone's life is the only way to get someone to stop doing something.

Angry Fork

As far as I recall (I could be wrong) the video didn't include a home address or telephone number. The judge was well known and the video itself was enough to put a spotlight on him. The people and the press have a name for this officer now, his anonymity is gone. Posting personal information (which anyone crazy enough to do something stupid could likely track down anyway) just ups the ante for the potential for violent reprisal, I would think.

Then he shouldn't of pepper sprayed college students sitting on a floor? If you do bad shit you hopefully get the consequences, I have no sympathy. The fact that he's a police officer (who's supposed to protect them) makes it that much worse.

Wazzim

Banned
You can think it's bad, you can think it's good but it does not matter when Anonymous is releasing personal information of police officers and government officials almost every day. It's already happening.

Information on the officer who pepper sprayed the peaceful students at UC-Davis:

<snip>

is available on one of the two top rated comments on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnR7xET7Uo

He gets no anonymity. He deserves no anonymity. And he needs to be made accountable for his actions.

Unbelievable. He should be jailed immediately. He's obviously a dangerous criminal and not fit to be an officer, let alone walk the streets.

goodcow

http://gothamist.com/2011/11/19/did_the_nypd_purposefully_destroy_o.php

Did The City Purposefully Destroy Occupy Wall Street's Property?
111911laptops.jpg

During the nighttime raid of Zuccotti Park, the NYPD, with the help of the Department of Sanitation, confiscated the items that the Occupy Wall Street protesters had used to make the area home. Demonstrators were told that they could pick up their property, which was just moved so the NYPD could do some mopping, at a Sanitation building on West 57th street. However, there was no mention of what condition the items would be in, and Motherboard reports that computers taken in the raid were broken and dented, appearing to have been "smashed with bats."

A reporter followed Isaac Wilder, a member of OWS' Signal Corps, which was charged with providing Wi-Fi in Zuccotti, as he entered the Sanitation building to collect his property taken in the raid: a backpack, a nine-foot tall tower containing wireless routers, and $5,000 in cash. No press are allowed in the building, and Wilder describes the mound of personal affects as "a large heap of damp, mangled, cat-piss smelling stuff." He finds all the broken computers, laid out in a row.

A Sanitation rep tells Motherboard that he's "not surprised" that the laptops are damaged, and neither are we considering that witnesses to the raid described the "crunching" sound of the contents of Zuccotti Park being dumped into truck beds. Wilder didn't end up finding any of his property; it appears to be lost along with the items from the library, medical tent, and other portions of the park that accrued two months worth of resources.

But don't worry: if the protesters feel that their property was "mishandled or misplaced" you can always fill out a form. Plus, the park's floor is clean enough to eat off it (if you're a pigeon). It's all part of the NYPD's new cleaning service. You won't even notice they're working. We've contacted the NYPD and the Sanitation Department for comment.

And here's an account from one of the school's professors who was there at the scene at UC Davis:

Police used batons to try to push the students apart. Those they could separate, they arrested, kneeling on their bodies and pushing their heads into the ground. Those they could not separate, they pepper-&#8203;sprayed directly in the face, holding these students as they did so. When students covered their eyes with their clothing, police forced open their mouths and pepper-&#8203;sprayed down their throats. Several of these students were hospitalized. Others are seriously injured. One of them, forty-&#8203;five minutes after being pepper-&#8203;sprayed down his throat, was still coughing up blood.

http://gawker.com/5861100/heres-a-cop-just-casually-pepper-spraying-peaceful-protesters

Angry Fork

Oh the rush to judgement without knowledge of police procedure, orders, or context of the entire situation.

Shit's almost comical.

There is no context. College students were sitting on pavement protesting and a thug sprayed them with pepper spray.

The only context that would justify that is if earlier in the video the students tried to attack the police, in which case they'd all get beat downs/tazed/shot and hauled to jail, not pepper sprayed.

Milabrega

Should patience not be a part of police procedure? Were those members of the public protesting an immediate threat to others or to themselves? Of course not, so patience and dialogue should have been the police procedure in that instance. But of course not, those thugs with a hard on for authority were quick to exert force, and to defend their actions here.

Wazzim

Banned
Oh the rush to judgement without knowledge of police procedure, orders, or context of the entire situation.

Shit's almost comical.
Uhm no it is not? Citizens pay for them, they are there to protect them and their rights. They can judge them whenever they want, it's up to the Police to explain their actions.

Well don't break the law then. They have to be responsible for their actions.

Also they only did this to criminals who they couldn't remove.
You're such a disgusting human being. Ugh, how can you walk around with such a mentality? People like you is why the world is such a fucked up place, no joke. Sucking the love out of the world and replace it with a broken and corrupt system of feudalism. Jezus Christ.
This isn't what the Police was meant for...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There is no context. College students were sitting on pavement protesting and a thug sprayed them with pepper spray.

The only context that would justify that is if earlier in the video the students tried to attack the police, in which case they'd all get beat downs/tazed/shot and hauled to jail, not pepper sprayed.

"No context," lol.

Also, you can't pass judgement on anything those police did until you 1. Understand the word context (which apparently you do not). 2. Understand the entirety of the context that lead to the spraying. 3. Know and understand the handbook/guidelines those police work under (for that specific department). and 4. Understand the law and what "rights" actually are.

Until you know all of those things, you and most of the people in this thread displaying what appears to be angsty youth rage will never have an argument, and no one will take you seriously. You're simply reinforcing the "generation entitlement" group stereotype everyone already has of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom