• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

For Goldberg to be the Superhero for the kids one last time, I think he needs to win.

That's not how it's normally done, but having Goldberg go 2-0 on Lesnar with no way for Brock to get the wins back would allow Goldberg to leave with his head held high and give Brock a reason to go on a rampage.

That or the match needs to be so brutal that Goldberg actually earns Brock's respect in a losing effort. Lots of possibilities but I hope they avoid an overbooked finish.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One.Last.Match
121659.1425846654.png

For Goldberg to be the Superhero for the kids one last time, I think he needs to win.

That's not how it's normally done, but having Goldberg go 2-0 on Lesnar with no way for Brock to get the wins back would allow Goldberg to leave with his head held high and give Brock a reason to go on a rampage.

That or the match needs to be so brutal that Goldberg actually earns Brock's respect in a losing effort. Lots of possibilities but I hope they avoid an overbooked finish.
THE REF DIDN'T SEE THAT TAP, MAGGLE!
GOLDBERG JUST TOLD THE REF HE POWERBOMBED LESNAR!
GOLDBERG WINS!!!!

Vestal

If Goldberg has fun, gets paid, etc., why assume this is the last match?

The guy is 49 years old. I don't think his body can take too much given his wrestling style. Don't get me wrong the guy is a fucking freak physically. I put him up there with Brock and Cesaro as far as raw strength. He fucking Jackhammered Big Show with ease ffs.

goldberg-vs-big-show-o.gif

Anth0ny

as I saw those clips throughout the show

and the thunderous reaction goldberg got in the ring

those words kept going through my head:

IT

USED

TO

BE

BETTER

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

IT

USED

TO

BE

BETTER
member the attitude era

Oh I member

KingBroly

Banned
The guy is 49 years old. I don't think his body can take too much given his wrestling style. Don't get me wrong the guy is a fucking freak physically. I put him up there with Brock and Cesaro as far as raw strength. He fucking Jackhammered Big Show with ease ffs.

goldberg-vs-big-show-o.gif

Lesnar-Goldberg won't go more than 15 minutes in-ring

IT

USED

TO

BE

BETTER
I'm just glad I got to experience a great time for wrestling while it happened.

Yeah, there's some quality indies out there that I love, but nothing will ever compare to great TV every week and everyone you know being in on it.

cLOUDo

Golberg promo was epic but his fight against Lesnar was awful imagine now
he 50 years old and Lesnar is now shit in the ring

KingBroly

Banned

IT

USED

TO

BE

BETTER

Yeah. Complacency killed wrestling. Competition made it boom.

Maybe Smackdown will push things up, even if only a little bit. But it's got a ways to go.

Goldberg probably was my favorite WCW wrestler. He was just so...different than everyone else. Then Kevin Nash had to be 'lolIwincuzI'mawesome' and ruin everything. Goldberg was the only reason to watch WCW in 98.

Golberg promo was epic but his fight against Lesnar was awful imagine now
he 50 years old and Lesnar is now shit in the ring

Goldberg has always been shit in the ring. He got over with two moves. He's 50, sure, but he's still got enough in the tank for one more for sure. It'll be a fun time.

IT

USED

TO

BE

BETTER

There were so many stars that were over back then that it trickled down to the whole roster. One thing Russo is completely right about is hyping and developing the characters was so much better back then. Guys like Al Snow, Val Venus, Billy Kidman, Saturn, Godfather, Disco Inferno, Buff Bagwell, Konan etc all got big reactions despite being mid card guys.

When the mid card had you emotionally invested it made the stars into bigger stars!

miserable

I'll always be grateful to Nash for ending Goldberg's streak. Made me a nice chunk of money. Plus I hated Goldberg with a passion back then.

Thank you based Kev.

Vestal

Goldberg has always been shit in the ring. He got over with two moves. He's 50, sure, but he's still got enough in the tank for one more for sure. It'll be a fun time.

He had more than just 2 though. Sure Spear and Jack Hammer were the two signatures, but his Military Press to Spine Buster always looked very good as well as the Rolling Kneebar.

There were so many stars that were over back then that it trickled down to the whole roster. One thing Russo is completely right about is hyping and developing the characters was so much better back then. Guys like Al Snow, Val Venus, Billy Kidman, Saturn, Godfather, Disco Inferno, Buff Bagwell, Konan etc all got big reactions despite being mid card guys.

When the mid card had you emotionally invested it made the stars into bigger stars!

Except, contrary to Vince Russo's opinion, you don't need some stupid "storyline" to get people over. Kidman got over because he was the only guy doing a Shooting Star Press and looked different. Disco got over because yes, he was a joke, but he actually won matches. Bagwell got over, even as a face because he looked impressive and won all the time. Saturn got over because he looked like a crazy person, did wild stuff, and won most of the time. Goldberg didn't say more than 30 words his 1st year in the business and was the 3rd or 4th most over guy.

It's not that complicated. Take two people. Have those two people win all the time. Say they're facing each other for a simple reason. Make money. Wrestling isn't that hard.

Majority of the guys that era had like 5 moves and there was a reason it made it easy to identify them by their moveset, it was part of their characters now you see guys doing 20 different moves and wonder why no one gives a sh*t about their moves. Lesnar getting his suplexes more over than some random indy guy like sami zayn doing 50 moves that no one care for.

Goldberg's promo was great. Super hot crowd. Really felt like a segment from the late 90s, especially with the way Goldberg was pacing all over the place, forcing WWE's camerawork to loosen up to keep track of him.

In a perfect world the Brock/Goldberg match would be 10 minutes of stiff one-upmanship, Japanese style, in front of a ravenous crowd, and everyone would be happy. In reality the match will probably suck, but oh well.

Finally watched the Goldberg segment... holy shit was that about 100 times more awesome than it had any right to be. The crowd reactions, Goldberg's mannerisms, the fact he showed legitimate emotion, "YOU'RE LAST". Just phenomenal in every way.

Except for that one fan chanting "what" all the time. I didn't think anth0ny would drive to Detroit to try and get himself over like that.

What is thjs about Goldberg being WCWs greatest champion? Do Sting and Flair no longer exist in the WWEs mind?

It's called hype. Every week, "one of the greatest players in the xxx" is playing in the big prime time game for the NBA, NHL, or NFL even if it's the Jaguars and Titans facing off.

StoopKid

Yeah. Complacency killed wrestling. Competition made it boom.

Maybe Smackdown will push things up, even if only a little bit. But it's got a ways to go.

Goldberg probably was my favorite WCW wrestler. He was just so...different than everyone else. Then Kevin Nash had to be 'lolIwincuzI'mawesome' and ruin everything. Goldberg was the only reason to watch WCW in 98.

It's amazing looking back and seeing how big goldberg was in 98.

The hype for Halloween havoc 98!

Except, contrary to Vince Russo's opinion, you don't need some stupid "storyline" to get people over. Kidman got over because he was the only guy doing a Shooting Star Press and looked different. Disco got over because yes, he was a joke, but he actually won matches. Bagwell got over, even as a face because he looked impressive and won all the time. Saturn got over because he looked like a crazy person, did wild stuff, and won most of the time. Goldberg didn't say more than 30 words his 1st year in the business and was the 3rd or 4th most over guy.

It's not that complicated. Take two people. Have those two people win all the time. Say they're facing each other for a simple reason. Make money. Wrestling isn't that hard.

I mean, maybe this works for a few lower tier guys but a good storyline really brings it over the top.

I mean, maybe this works for a few lower tier guys but a good storyline really brings it over the top.

If you mean a "good storyline" as in a "simple storyline that sells matches", then yes, I agree with you.

But, the truth is, the more "layers" you add to a wrestling storyline, the closer you come to fucking it up. Austin-Hart, Hogan-Savage, Andre-Hogan, Flair-Dusty, Hogan-Sting, Magnum-Nikita, Rock 'n' Rolls-Midnights, etc., etc. weren't complicated. Hell, even Punk-Cena.

Even Austin vs. McMahon is simple an the only time it went close to going off the rails is when they started adding BS to it like the Corporate Ministry and such.

At the end of the day, it's simple. Find two charismatic people. Give them simple entertaining characters that reflect each others yin and yang. Have them face off.

Everyone backstage fawning over Goldberg is a giant reason why most people today aren't perceived as stars.

Sorry, sports entertainers today aren't big stars with lots of money who drive fancy cars. They're geeks playing video games, posting on Instagram, and afraid Steph or Vince is going to fire them if they step out of line.

Remember, even the 'Common Man' Dusty Rhodes wore Rolex watches and had a fur coat at times. He was the Son of a Plumber, not a Plumber.

Anth0ny

lol

Ya'll in Toronto better cheer Goldberg like crazy, dammit. He's fighting to give the kids a hero to believe in. ;_;

i'll be cheering for goldberg

fuck brock, he's boring as fuck

i wonder what will win out: the smarky toronto crowd's love for workrate, or the smarky toronto crowd's love for the late 90s

Toki767

i'll be cheering for goldberg

fuck brock, he's boring as fuck

i wonder what will win out: the smarky toronto crowd's love for workrate, or the smarky toronto crowd's love for the late 90s

The last time they were in Toronto for a big event, they booed Rock over Hogan.

Top Bottom