• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

M_A_C

I probably quit watching wrestling 12 or more years ago so this is fun for me. I wanna see how buff Goldberg is now though.

miserable

oldbergq4jor.gif

how is he gonna lift Brock for the jackhammer if he struggles to lift his kid?

Could not watch RAW, but got done watching a bunch of clips on Youtube.

What the hell happened in the Dana vs Bayley match. Even in the Youtube edit it look like a mess. I originally thought Bayley got injured and they ended the match early... which would suck. I now think all three people in the ring botched the finish at the same time.

Sanjuro

I fell asleep like an Oldberg just prior to him coming out. Awesome moment though. Went as well as it could have.

I still don't get the theme song thing though. It must have cost the WWE $6M on his way in and $.99 per minute on the WWF Hotline on the way out.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If they're going all in on WCW nostalgia, they need to get Jericho and Big Show involved since they're the last WCW guys on the payroll.

And they need Tony Schiavone at the announce table. He can't be any worse than Cole.

Saw the Goldberg segment and that might be as much Raw as I can stomach. Also, having all the midcarders fawning over him was dumb.

I'm sure most of them were happy to be apart of a moment like that, one of the last few Goldberg segments in wrestling. Not to mention kids who may not know who he is seeing faces they like admiring this weird old guy may've helped with driving home that this guy is a big deal.

Recall

Watching more old NJPW with Steiners vs Mutoh & Hase from the 1995 Jan 4th Tokyo Dome show. A match Meltzer gave a high rating to and it was in fact a terrible match.

Clumsy, dull and as awkward as it could get. Lots of pointless ground work and then half assed offence which perplexed Scott as it didn't pop the crowd. Loads of weird stuff like that.

At one point Rick pinned Hase for the 3 but the ref stopped at 2 and just stood up as Rick wasn't the legal man.

If it was great once it hasn't stood the test of time at all.

pariah164

I just saw the Goldberg promo.

Holy SHIT. I got fucking chills. It was awesome. I usually don't give a fuck about Brock Lesnar matches, but I will watch this one. "YOU'RE LAST!" So damn good.

oldbergq4jor.gif

how is he gonna lift Brock for the jackhammer if he struggles to lift his kid?

I think two grown men would struggle to lift that sack of meat.

Edit: Something wrong with me. I must have just sat and watched Goldberg hit himself in the face with that kids ass like twenty times over. It's so awkward.....

Recall

Power vs Power. When worlds collide. Brock vs Goldberg could be ace. High intensity, sudden urges of POWER~!

Unlike most I don't judge until it's done and dusted. Those who are whinging already are still watching so why don't you see how it plays out before being full of doom and gloom?

You can't help it. You need it.

Catching up on the thread my fav top 5 all time:

5. Lance Storm
4. Chris Jericho
3. Roddy Piper
2. Chris Benoit
1. Bret Hart

Honorable mention to Disco Inferno for being my fav all time gimmick character and the guy I'd call one of the most underrated in ring performers.

Current:
5. Sasha Banks
4. Heath Slater
3. Brock Lesnar
2. AJ Styles
1. Kevin Owens

Agreed, excellent stuff.

I'm hyped for Brockberg

I actually love their Mania XX match for its wrestlecrap quality. The match plus the crowd reaction makes it hilarious to watch.

Exciting to see them do one for serious.

I wish I was still living in Ontario right now. I'd kill to go to Survivor Series, Toronto crowds are a carny smarked as fuck, being part of that Summerslam 04 crowd was a blast and a half.

Catching up on the thread my fav top 5 all time:

Ever
5. Kurt Angle (because of his WM match with HBK)
4. Chris Jericho (ECW days)
3. The Rock (Because always exciting)
2. Stone Cold (Bret Hart WM 13)
1. HBK (Best Wrestler ever)

Current.
5. Rusev
4. Brock Lesnar
3. Samoa Joe
2. Seth Rollins
1. Charlotte

I like the Goldberg/Steiner no holds barred match better, personally, but that Jackhammer reversal into the Diamond Cutter is a top 5 spot for me.

It's funny I basically called the booking of that match to my cousin a few weeks before the match.

I said here's how it goes down, missed spear, Jackhammer reversal into diamond cutter for 2, second jackhammer for 3.

Low and behold lol.

It's funny I basically called the booking of that match to my cousin a few weeks before the match.

I said here's how it goes down, missed spear, Jackhammer reversal into diamond cutter for 2, second jackhammer for 3.

Low and behold lol.

I was a pro wrestler on the UK scene for a few years and then opened a small training school which is now defunct.

I must admit that once you learn the ropes it does get very easy to predict the way a match is going to go.

I only genuinely pop nowadays if they legit surprise me in a match. Doesn't happen too often.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ever
5. Kurt Angle (because of his WM match with HBK)
4. Chris Jericho (ECW days)
3. The Rock (Because always exciting)
2. Stone Cold (Bret Hart WM 13)
1. HBK (Best Wrestler ever)

Current.
5. Rusev
4. Brock Lesnar
3. Samoa Joe
2. Seth Rollins
1. Charlotte

I dont see the Macho Man, so list invalidated.

I dont see the Macho Man, so list invalidated.

He had good moments don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed his performance in (I think) royal rumble 1992. I also think his match vs Ricky Steamboat at WM3 is one of the best matches ever performed....

That being said, I couldn't stand his persona and I just don't hold him in as high regard as the other 5 I listed.

Holy shit, just got caught up.

Was expecting Goldberg's return to be a train wreck, but damn, he cut a good promo, looks good, and actually got me interested in this match.

Who would've thought?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Holy shit, just got caught up.

Was expecting Goldberg's return to be a train wreck, but damn, he cut a good promo, looks good, and actually got me interested in this match.

Who would've thought?

Agreed! Just sucks we already know the outcome.

He had good moments don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed his performance in (I think) royal rumble 1992. I also think his match vs Ricky Steamboat at WM3 is one of the best matches ever performed....

That being said, I couldn't stand his persona and I just don't hold him in as high regard as the other 5 I listed.

Haha, yeah its all a matter of taste of course. For me he is the best ever, loved his in-ring work, loved his promos, loved his look. On the Bret Hart-scale i would give him close to 10 in all.

BritWres people

Rev Pro are running 12 London Cockpit shows next year, which is quite an increase
vb56Hrdl.jpg

"New for 2017 we will be introducing a ‘Live At The Cockpit Season Ticket’ which will incorporate all 12 shows for just £135 (+ booking fee) giving you a saving of £45 or THREE FREE SHOWS!

The dates of the shows are as follows all with 5pm doors and 5.30pm bell time:

Sunday January 8th
Sunday February 5th
Sunday March 5th
Sunday April 9th
Sunday May 7th
Sunday June 4th
Sunday July 2nd
Sunday August 6th
Sunday September 3rd
Sunday October 1st
Sunday November 5th
Sunday December 3rd"

I was a pro wrestler on the UK scene for a few years and then opened a small training school which is now defunct.

I must admit that once you learn the ropes it does get very easy to predict the way a match is going to go.

I only genuinely pop nowadays if they legit surprise me in a match. Doesn't happen too often.

Last big surprise was Lesnar beating Taker...
I half paid attention to that match becaude it seemed obvious and I was frankly bored of the Taker mania formula as you can only sell a maybe this time something different will happen so many times and after the back to back to back to back Taker vs Kliq run I was over it, I didn't even bother with Mania 29 and Punk. So going in I'm like formula is obvious Tombstone for 2, F5 for 2, second F5 for 2, Last Ride maybe for 2, maybe second tombstone for 2, 3rd F5 reversal into tombstone for 3...

Except that 3rd F5 hits and so I'm think wow another kick out coming? So there I am reading something on my phone expecting the obvious: 1...2... I look up expecting the kickout and then bam 3! Total mark out moment... my complete disinterest with that match and my assumption of an obvious kickout made that the best 3 count in history for me.

kiguel182

I'm sure most of them were happy to be apart of a moment like that, one of the last few Goldberg segments in wrestling. Not to mention kids who may not know who he is seeing faces they like admiring this weird old guy may've helped with driving home that this guy is a big deal.

I think having wrestlers act like fans is weird.

Last big surprise was Lesnar beating Taker...
I halfed paid attention to that match becomes it seemed obvious... Tombstone for 2, F5 for 2, second F5 for 2, Last Ride maybe for 2, maybe second tombstone for 2, 3rd F5 reversal tombstone for 3...

Except that 3rd F5 hits and so I'm think wow another kick out coming? So I'm watching expecting the obvious and then bam it's for 3. Total mark out moment... my complete disinterest with that match and my assumption of an obvious kickout made that the best 3 count in histort for me.

I couldn't agree more. The match itself was shit. That three count and the crowd went silent.....

Then for ages after you just see pictures of gaping mouthed fans. Grown men cried... It was truly one of the biggest moments in wrestling history.

I couldn't agree more. The match itself was shit. That three count and the crowd went silent.....

Then for ages after you just see pictures of gaping mouthed fans. Grown men cried... It was truly one of the biggest moments in wrestling history.

Indeed and after rewatching the match I actually kinda enjoy the match too, the slow pace worked for me but totally get why it's shit to most. 5 star ending though, Heyman's facial reaction is great as well... but yeah that dead silent crowd should go into the WWE Hall of Fame.

I cheered like mad... because I was so over the Streak (both HHH matches bored me because I didn't give a flying fuck and I sure as shit didn't want two of them back to back) and I'm a huge Lesnar mark even in his current Suplex City incarnation.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
are they really going to have him lose his last match?

oh yeah...Sting. Nvm

oh yeah...Sting. Nvm

That was literally my least favorite Mania match of all time because of how garbage that booking was, stupid run ins galore, the nWo helping Sting? HHH winning because get fucked WCW apparently? Garbage. Hated it hated it hated it.

Recall

oh yeah...Sting. Nvm

I want Brock vs Goldberg to end in a draw. Both spear each other at the same point like two raging bulls colliding and neither can get up.

It's stupid but I don't want Goldberg to lose.

That was literally my least favorite Mania match of all time because of how garbage that booking was, stupid run ins galore, the nWo helping Sting? HHH winning because get fucked WCW apparently? Garbage. Hated it hated it hated it.

Yep. It's really awful. It's even worse with JBL screaming the whole time about WCW and the Monday Night Wars. I knew it was going to be a shitshow when they randomly announced before the match that it was suddenly No Disqualification.

What capped it off is that HHH and Sting shook hands after the match, only for HHH to come back later for the Rock/Rousey angle and talk shit about him.

I want Brock vs Goldberg to end in a draw. Both spear each other at the same point like two raging bulls colliding and neither can get up.

It's stupid but I don't want Goldberg to lose.

Would you be happy with Samoa Joe entering the arena and absolutely destroying both competitors mid-match?

A) Arguably the greatest entrance into WWE ever
B) Sets him up as a heel monster
C) Goldberg doesn't technically lose
D) A triple threat between those three could be absolutely incredible....

Yeah I have a problem..... I NEED SAMOA JOE

Yep. It's really awful. It's even worse with JBL screaming the whole time about WCW and the Monday Night Wars. I knew it was going to be a shitshow when they randomly announced before the match that it was suddenly No Disqualification.

What capped it off is that HHH and Sting shook hands after the match, only for HHH to come back later for the Rock/Rousey angle and talk shit about him.

Actually I take it back it's my second most hated Mania match the first is HHH vs Booker T...

And yeah the handshake made literally zero sense and a fucking sledgehammer finish?

That it became about the Monday Night Wars was painful to watch (it didn't start that way... why did it go there?) WCW had been dead for over a fucking decade, you have so much story you could tell with those two guys and instead you rehash something from over a decade ago in a hodgepodge sort of way. Again nWo B&W helping Sting is duuuumb, maybe they could have done a Wolfpac reunion but Lugar is a mess and Konan was probably too busy fighting with Disco Inferno on twitter... I get it Vince ya put WCW out of business. Thanks for the reminder.

Recall

Would you be happy with Samoa Joe entering the arena and absolutely destroying both competitors mid-match?

A) Arguably the greatest entrance into WWE ever
B) Sets him up as a heel monster
C) Goldberg doesn't technically lose
D) A triple threat between those three could be absolutely incredible....

Yeah I have a problem..... I NEED SAMOA JOE

Wrestling has proven if you do anything with the right set up then anything is possible.

The live crowd will either make or break this Goldberg v Brock match. But yes more Joe would be great.

Wrestling has proven if you do anything with the right set up then anything is possible.

The live crowd will either make or break this Goldberg v Brock match. But yes more Joe would be great.

In that case let's just be thankful it's not going to be in New York. Those fans would brutalise that match.

Top Bottom