• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

The reason why Canada booed Berger is because we caught onto his shit while Americans were so fascinated over what he did.

Aiii you can disrespect Bret all you want but not my damn mother country. You're working on being last.

Recall

Yeah calling Goldberg the greatest WCW Champion in history felt a little weird considering Flair and Sting are both in the Hall of Fame. Honestly, maybe the line was supposed to be "one of the greatest" and Cole botched it. It's not like Cole isn't prone to screw ups once and a while.

Cole says exactly as his master in his ear dictates.

He says exactly what he is supposed to.

Aiii

So not worth it
Monday_night_wars_ratings.gif

Goldberg was the biggest draw that company ever had, and his run as champion pushed that company to its heights. He was very clearly their greatest champion.

And in kayfabe even more, it's undeniable, he was the best there was.

Y'all just made my list.

Yeah calling Goldberg the greatest WCW Champion in history felt a little weird considering Flair and Sting are both in the Hall of Fame. Honestly, maybe the line was supposed to be "one of the greatest" and Cole botched it. It's not like Cole isn't prone to screw ups once and a while.

This is the same company that says HHH and Brock only happened twice. The same company that ignored the fact that Jericho was the first Undisputed champ for the longest ass time. They like to forget or ignore bits of history to make modern events feel that much bigger.

So for the time being, till he loses, Goldberg will be the greatest WCW champion of all time. Just like Ric is during Cena promos, during his time with Charlotte etc; and just like Sting was during his run.

Cole didn't botch. It was 100% intentional.

Sephzilla

Cole says exactly as his master in his ear dictates.

He says exactly what he is supposed to.

This is the same company that says HHH and Brock only happened twice. The same company that ignored the fact that Jericho was the first Undisputed champ for the longest ass time. They like to forget or ignore bits of history to make modern events feel that much bigger.

So for the time being, till he loses, Goldberg will be the greatest WCW champion of all time. Just like Ric is during Cena promos, during his time with Charlotte etc; and just like Sting was during his run.

Cole didn't botch. It was 100% intentional.

Cole is prone to botches too. Didn't he keep getting Sin Cara and Kalisto mixed up?

Zach

Maybe they're just trying to build up a match. Flair and Sting are done wrestling in WWE so why not say Goldberg's the greatest champion? Who cares? None of it matters. After Goldberg retires for good they'll start calling Jeff Jarrett the greatest WCW Champion of all time when he returns for WrestleMania 34.

Sephzilla

'I bet the gaf thread is all about why most the main characters are men in a wild west game and crying about no pc port'

I was right.

There's PC port begging going on internet-wide right now. It's like they forget that Rockstar almost never does simultaneous PC releases

Monday_night_wars_ratings.gif

Goldberg was the biggest draw that company ever had, and his run as champion pushed that company to its heights. He was very clearly their greatest champion.

And in kayfabe even more, it's undeniable, he was the best there was.

Y'all just made my list.
Most people here are focusing quantity over quality. Goldberg as champion put them over the top and was their swan song of great things. No disrespect to Flair but the greatest wCw champion is either Goldberg or Sting, business wise. But why are people getting upset over this? It doesn't matter who the greatest was...

WCW IS DEAD AND NEVER COMING BACK! YOUR GREATEST IS JUST A FOOTNOTE!

yVFTBrM.gif

I don't even understand how you can have a non-kayfabe pro wrestling title?

Secondly - Cena still has another ten years in his system. It's possible.....

They ignore some of the nwa/wcw runs.

I dunno, he's rich and he's already been winding down. I wouldn't be surprised if his next title reign was his last (or next two if they want him to beat ric's "record", but that'll be expedited if so).

I don't expect to see him wrestling at all in 2019 personally, unless he gets the taker spot.

Zach

Nothing trumps JR getting Edge & Christian and Matt & Jeff Hardy mixed up with each other mulitple times during the first Tag Team Ladder Match.

That is so grinding

In a Jericho/Benoit match I was watching the other day, JR said something like "Jericho made Chris Jericho tap!" and it made me laugh. Neither he himself or King ever corrected it.

In a Jericho/Benoit match I was watching the other day, JR said something like "Jericho made Chris Jericho tap!" and it made me laugh. Neither he himself or King ever corrected it.

You can almost hear the awkward staring at each other.....

Sometimes you could tell JBL and Cole were legit shooting on each other too, Cole and King too at times.

It's cringeworthy at times like that

Zach

'I bet the gaf thread is all about why most the main characters are men in a wild west game and crying about no pc port'

I was right.

You're a sexist jerk, Data West.

And when I popped in it was just a bunch of bragging about predicting the title (impressive!)/complaining about the title.

Kaladin

Aside from the Goldberg promo, and the Chris Jericho Show, the best part of Raw continues to be Braun Strowman's Jobber World Tour. Seriously, this fucking guy crushes fools and is it just me or does he get better every week?

I'm happy they're moving him up with the Sami Zayn feud. Not happy for Sami, but happy none the less. This is a guy I want to see competing with the rest of the roster. Toss those flippy fools out the ring.

Mahonay

Banned
Aside from the Goldberg promo, and the Chris Jericho Show, the best part of Raw continues to be Braun Strowman's Jobber World Tour. Seriously, this fucking guy crushes fools and is it just me or does he get better every week?

I'm happy they're moving him up with the Sami Zayn feud. Not happy for Sami, but happy none the less. This is a guy I want to see competing with the rest of the roster. Toss those flippy fools out the ring.
You left out Rusev, stupid man.

JeriKO, Braun and Rusev are enjoyable. Hell, I think I heard Roman getting a more majority of cheers last night.

I'm not annoyed with Sami going to braun because it could help lead to Sami underdog story thing. But the problem will be something that's been plaguing WWE for a while: No story, just build to each new PPV.

Last night was weird. Seth got the awful promo with terrible insults and Roman's the one getting cheered loudly.

Da Big Dog is the American hero we need confirmed.

giphy.gif

Mahonay

Banned
And yeah that Red Dead 2 thread is pretty fucking stupid. People at some point need to get over themselves and just try and enjoy video games.

I don't even understand how you can have a non-kayfabe pro wrestling title?

Secondly - Cena still has another ten years in his system. It's possible.....

Not title but title reigns. There are a few title losses that are ignored and thus so to are the matches where he won it back. They just pretend he was always champ at between those points.

Recall

And yeah that Red Dead 2 thread is pretty fucking stupid. People at some point need to get over themselves and just try and enjoy video games.

That can only happen if its hyper realistic along with running at a billion FPS in a billion P resolution. Until then no-one will supposedly be happy and everything is doomed.

Mahonay

Banned
Last night was weird. Seth got the awful promo with terrible insults and Roman's the one getting cheered loudly.

Da Big Dog is the American hero we need confirmed.

giphy.gif
It still baffles me that he was actually getting Roman chants when Rusev attacked him. Like, he's a shit stain that absolutely deserved the beat down for coming out and acting like a giant tool after Rusev was just trying to have family time.

Crowd was weird last night, but at least they were reacting to pretty much everything all night. And they did give Goldberg a whole lot of love which really helped make that thing work.

I've embarked on a long slog.

To watch every PPV on the WWE network.....

I'm going through by company - beginning with WWE I am currently up to payback 2014.

One thing I have noticed - and feel free to discuss - it that wrestling was at it's absolute peak from around 1992 - 2003. That 11 year span contained some of the most memorable matches, greatest gimmicks, legendary superstarts etc....

I couldn't put my finger on exactly what is wrong... I've no doubt WCW played a massive part on forcing WWE to pull off some brilliant stuff, maybe it's that?

All I know is that today's wrestling is most certainly not as entertaining.

These Lita interviews are terrible. Sasha trying to sell how far her and Charolette came is really bad. "We started in NXT and we've made it to here!" It doesn't have the same feel as when others sell how much they worked through.

One thing I have noticed - and feel free to discuss - it that wrestling was at it's absolute peak from around 1992 - 2003. That 11 year span contained some of the most memorable matches, greatest gimmicks, legendary superstarts etc....

A. You need to see Zach, and his ratings
B. It could be nostalgia if you grew up watching then.

According to Ryback, he proposed an angle to McMahon that he thought would make him seem like a credible WrestleMania opponent for Lesnar to the audience. As the story goes, Ryback would appear to leave the company to compete in MMA, only to return to WWE with newly acquired MMA skills.
"My idea was, and I went to Vince, I've been asking for Brock Lesnar for WrestleMania for the last three years. But I told Vince, 'you have to build me up properly.' And I go, 'this pay-per-view, it will break all-time records if you build this match up properly.' And I asked him, I go, 'you need to let me go away for six months' and I go, 'I live in Las Vegas [Nevada]. MMA is hugely, insanely popular. It's pretty much the breeding ground here in Las Vegas of MMA.' I said, 'let me go join a fight camp, full-time, for six months. We will make it look like I'm about to go out and do a real fight. I come back to WWE though, challenge Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania.'"

"Vince, just completely, it went over his head and I just remember sitting there dumbfounded. Like, 'Jesus Christ! You can't f--king be that out of touch.' Maybe he didn't want me to go away for six months or whatnot. I don't know."

These Lita interviews are terrible. Sasha trying to sell how far her and Charolette came is really bad. "We started in NXT and we've made it to here!" It doesn't have the same feel as when others sell how much they worked through.
What annoyed me was that Sasha is basically selling this feud as 'we're going into the cell because of how great it will be for women' and not 'we're going into this cell because I want this feud to end with Charlotte unconscious in that cage'.

According to Ryback, he proposed an angle to McMahon that he thought would make him seem like a credible WrestleMania opponent for Lesnar to the audience. As the story goes, Ryback would appear to leave the company to compete in MMA, only to return to WWE with newly acquired MMA skills.
And I go, 'this pay-per-view, it will break all-time records if you build this match up properly.'

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Lmao, Ryback I'm not gonna blame Vince one bit for turning this idea down.

A. You need to see Zach, and his ratings
B. It could be nostalgia if you grew up watching then.

I mean nostalgia potentially had a part to play in my enjoyment but it just seemed more exciting and more vibrant and more intense.

I'm finding myself getting really bored of quite alot of the roster from nowadays. They seem to be missing some element of magic or something. That spark ya know?

Mahonay

Banned
I've embarked on a long slog.

To watch every PPV on the WWE network.....

I'm going through by company - beginning with WWE I am currently up to payback 2014.

I couldn't put my finger on exactly what is wrong... I've no doubt WCW played a massive part on forcing WWE to pull off some brilliant stuff, maybe it's that?

All I know is that today's wrestling is most certainly not as entertaining.
Good luck. Lots of different podcasts out there to act as companions to a lot of those PPVs.

Here's what I use;

The Attitude Era Podcast
Review-a-Wai
The New Generation Project
The Lapsed Fan

Kaladin

Two things wrong with that.

A) Vince would never let one of his guys be trained by an outside group, that would open up a world of issues including law suits if anything were to go wrong.

B) Vince never liked Ryback that much.

Top Bottom