• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

So, the cruiserweights have been a bust so far, huh?

Yes when the wee main event style is flippy work state. They had no chance. Even cena is getting in on the action

Yeah, there's no organic build up to the Sasha/Charlotte HIAC match. Charlotte isn't dodging Sasha or escaping through the crowd. Dana hasn't been running in to save Charlotte. There doesn't seem to be any intense hate between the two.

Raw exist as a PR vehicle for Stephanie. Its only,goal is to get her over

Cagey

Banned
No need to act like it's some completely impossible task to make it work. Those Nitro cruiserweight segments were hot fire.

It's just WWE and RAW booking. They almost always opt for the lamest approach to pretty much everything.
I think it's harder than people want to believe.

The cruiserweights in WCW were fantastic but they were also different than the rest of the show: the mid card and main event matches didnt resemble those matches at all.

Today? Seth and KO are doing the same damn moves and having similar matches.

Mahonay

Banned
I think it's harder than people want to believe.

The cruiserweights in WCW were fantastic but they were also different than the rest of the show: the mid card and main event matches didnt resemble those matches at all.

Today? Seth and KO are doing the same damn moves.
Valid point for sure. Maybe just build them into a huge midcard division that includes other people? But that would require RAW to not repeat the same exact shit week after week.

Problem with the CW is that half the roster quality for it. Its an arbitrary glass ceiling

DA DEMON KING is a cruiserweight but since he was labled a main eventer he gets a pass

Yeah, Sasha as a face pretty much killed her as a character. The Boss does not work as a babyface at all so the writing they give her tends to be terrible at making her come off as tough (Sasha crying every five seconds doesn't exactly help). Plus her increasingly repetitive promos are just ridiculous at this rate.

Cagey

Banned
Problem with the CW is that half the roster quality for it. Its an arbitrary glass ceiling

DA DEMON KING is a cruiserweight but since he was labled a main eventer he gets a pass
That too. Zayn is a cruiserweight. Kofi too. Neville should be depending on how gassed up he is on a given day. Smackdown would include Ziggler and Styles at a minimum.

How does one make this stand out as different and good, and not simply different and inferior...or the same thing but with guys who look like the ones Braun crushes for sport.

Raw64life

Cruiserweights worked in WCW because it was different from all the other divisions. They're not doing anything different. Doesn't help that half the main roster would qualify for the cruiserweight division these days.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Yeah, Sasha as a face pretty much killed her as a character. The Boss does not work as a babyface at all so the writing they give her tends to be terrible at making her come off as tough (Sasha crying every five seconds doesn't exactly help). Plus her increasingly repetitive promos are just ridiculous at this rate.
This could be resolved if she turned heel after HIAC and started feuding with Bayley again.

Mahonay

Banned
Time to cancel the experiment. Get Papa HHH to run in and pedigree the entire Cruiserweight Division.

They do desperately need their own CWC weekly Network show like they were planning at one point. I hope they still are.

This could be resolved if she turned heel after HIAC and started feuding with Bayley again.
Raw's writing has been terrible so I can only fear them trying to recreate Bayley vs Sasha especially when I'm pretty sure the guy who was the main writer behind it in NXT now currently writes for Smackdown.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Raw's writing has been terrible so I can only fear them trying to recreate Bayley vs Sasha especially when I'm pretty sure the guy who was the main writer behind it in NXT now currently writes for Smackdown.
True. But it couldn't be that bad, right? All you gotta do is just copy what NXT did.

Kaladin

The Cruiserweight Division as it stands flies in the face of the work guys like Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit and CM Punk and Daniel Bryan did to get smaller guys over on the main roster.

Putting these guys on the same show as other wrestlers who are of similar skill and size but quarantining them to a "cruiserweight division" not only insults their abilities, it insults the work of everyone who has fought to show that size doesn't matter in WWE.

Wee needs to embrace the HOSS

w1emO2l.gif

Flips are so 2005

Raw's writing isn't entirely why Sasha is so bland and boring, especially with how well Charolette has managed to rise of that crap. Sasha is just bad on the mic, really bad, and it's become apparent now that we see her week in week out.

Sephzilla

Sasha's mic work goes down dramatically as a face, which is per the norm for Raw. She works way better as a heel. The problem with that is Charlotte also works better as a heel. Basically, the problem with Raw's women's division is that everyone besides Bayley works better as a heel.

Mahonay

Banned
The Cruiserweight Division as it stands flies in the face of the work guys like Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit and CM Punk and Daniel Bryan did to get smaller guys over on the main roster.

Putting these guys on the same show as other wrestlers who are of similar skill and size but quarantining them to a "cruiserweight division" not only insults their abilities, it insults the work of everyone who has fought to show that size doesn't matter in WWE.
tumblr_oaxq6qwoeU1sbzhteo1_500.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All of WCW's 'main' cruiserweights were flamboyant and colorful and looked like super heroes. And Angry Dad Malenko.

Where as WWE's cruiserweights are homeless man kendrick, generic abercrombie reject, generic abercrombie reject, generic guy, generic abercrombie reject, and 34 year old man that dabs and dresses like a sneaker for 9 year olds

Mahonay

Banned
How was RAW? Should I watch it?
Watch the end, and watch Rusev Family Time.
All of WCW's 'main' cruiserweights were flamboyant and colorful and looked like super heroes. And Angry Dad Malenko.

Where as WWE's cruiserweights are homeless man kendrick, generic abercrombie reject, generic abercrombie reject, generic guy, generic abercrombie reject, and 34 year old man that dabs and dresses like a sneaker for 9 year olds
I dunno, Rich Swann has a lot of personality.

tumblr_nvwwk32EVC1sbzhteo1_400.gif

WOMAN WRESTLERS

Raw's writing isn't entirely why Sasha is so bland and boring, especially with how well Charolette has managed to rise of that crap. Sasha is just bad on the mic, really bad, and it's become apparent now that we see her week in week out.
That's true. But the scripts they give her are so bad. You can make a drinking game of how Sasha always goes 'I'm a boss/this has been my dream since I was a little girl//women's wrestling' in a promo. But then again, from what I see of her on social media, Sasha basically does all that stuff herself too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
All of WCW's 'main' cruiserweights were flamboyant and colorful and looked like super heroes.

This is something I noticed last night. Look at the personality Goldberg exudes. How he has that long walk in the back and snorts out the smoke n' shit. Then look at those guys. Where's the IT Factor?

Mahonay

Banned
Jobbers serve a different purpose and you know it. None of the Strowman victims would be able to put on the caliber of a match that the Cruiserweights are capable of.
James Ellsworth is the #1 contender to the WWE World Championship. He's going to put on a 5 star classic with AJ.

Tagyhag

Every damn time. Sigh.

She went from a ruthless "It's all about me" champion to a "It's all about women's wrestling, and I'll kill myself to prove it to you, by the way did I mention that Eddie was my hero?" cheap-pop grabbing, can't promo worth a shit, Sin Cara-like botch magnet that she currently is.

Can't blame it all on her, she has to work with RAW writing, but the wrestling problems are squarely on her shoulders.

I half expect a burning hammer off the cage this PPV.

Sephzilla

This is something I noticed last night. Look at the personality Goldberg exudes. How he has that long walk in the back and snorts out the smoke n' shit. Then look at those guys. Where's the IT Factor?

Yeah, I noticed this too. I admit my perception might be a little tainted because I was marking out a bit, but Goldberg really ended up shining a light on how bland a lot of the current roster is right now. It's similar to when Rock shows up. He has an auro and personality that you can immediately sense when he walks to the ring.

Meanwhile, the current day roster seems like its front loaded with guys who are trying so hard to be cool that they end up coming across as stale and phony.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
let me put it this way

DJ Zema has more of a character than every single member of the WWE Cruiserweight roster. Just by looking at him.

tumblr_nvwwk32EVC1sbzhteo1_400.gif

WOMAN WRESTLERS

That's true. But the scripts they give her are so bad. You can make a drinking game of how Sasha always goes 'I'm a boss/this has been my dream since I was a little girl//women's wrestling' in a promo. But then again, from what I see of her on social media, Sasha basically does all that stuff herself too.

Eddie guerrero

Heroman

Banned
Comparing Goldberg who probably didn't have a script and was free to do whatever he wanted to guys who are scripted with wwe terrible writing is a bad comparison.

Comparing Goldberg who probably didn't have a script and was free to do whatever he wanted to guys who are scripted with wwe terrible writing is a bad comparison.
.you still have to be a good talker w/o a script. Goldberg is a good talker period.

Other wise you get what ever that jack,swagger promo was

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

This permeates every aspect of Raw. They overuse and beat you over the head with everything. Couldn't wait until a PPV even to have Demon Balor come out. Seth Rollins gets a laugh with sparklecrotch, now lets make him say it 30 more times in 5 minutes. Same thing when Reigns got a chuckle out of tater tots. The writing is just ridiculously bad. Same writing Sasha suffers from. Same reason the build to Sasha v Charlotte in HiAC has been shit. Writing aside, face Sasha has been rather boring.

Mahonay

Banned
This permeates every aspect of Raw. They overuse and beat you over the head with everything. Couldn't wait until a PPV even to have Demon Balor come out. Seth Rollins gets a laugh with sparklecrotch, now lets make him say it 30 more times in 5 minutes. Same thing when Reigns got a chuckle out of tater tots. The writing is just ridiculously bad. Same writing Sasha suffers from. Same reason the build to Sasha v Charlotte in HiAC has been shit. Writing aside, face Sasha has been rather boring.
The impact writing alone has immediately became abundantly clear when Smackdown became the watchable show week to week thanks to the NXT writer moving over.

Yes when the wee main event style is flippy work state. They had no chance. Even cena is getting in on the action

Sheamus vs Cesaro had more high flying spots than TJ vs Kendrick did at Clash of Champions.

I almost assumed they were told to keep the spots low amd grounded because they didn't want the Cruisets to take away from the flying spots in that best of 7 finale match.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, there's no organic build up to the Sasha/Charlotte HIAC match. Charlotte isn't dodging Sasha or escaping through the crowd. Dana hasn't been running in to save Charlotte. There doesn't seem to be any intense hate between the two.

The biggest problem is that most of the good parts of the feud already happened

Kaladin

Cruiserweights on Raw in 2016 are kind of like the WWE's use of AAA talent in 1997. it was great flashy filler that you forgot about when it was over.

Sasha's mic work goes down dramatically as a face, which is per the norm for Raw. She works way better as a heel. The problem with that is Charlotte also works better as a heel. Basically, the problem with Raw's women's division is that everyone besides Bayley works better as a heel.

But she can't keep kayfabe when all the fans cheer her. She could easily remain a heel, there is attitude in her speeches but she can't hold it together.

They give her bad scripts, but again she isn't making them work either.

Top Bottom