• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

.you still have to be a good talker w/o a script. Goldberg is a good talker period.

Now that is some serious bullshit revisionist history.

Last night's promo was actually probably one of if not the only truly great promos he's ever done.

Goldberg at his peak said next to nothing and it worked.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Cruiserweights on Raw in 2016 are kind of like the WWE's use of AAA talent in 1997. it was great flashy filler that you forgot about when it was over.

I don't even think the Crusierweights have been that fun or flashy, though. Like, I love Cedric Alexander and know that dude can work, but where has that even been? They just have them do these nothing, bad, boring matches with zero story to them.

Now that is some serious bullshit revisionist history.

Last night's promo was actually probably one of if not the only truly great promos he's ever done.

Goldberg at his peak said next to nothing and it worked.

My point is that in 2016 Goldberg can talk. I never said anything about 1998.

You can make up excuses about scripting and Vince but it comes,down to the performer and their ability to,cut through the bullshit.

Sephzilla

Goldberg, a guy who was never a solid talker back in his prime, came out and dropped a better promo than most of the roster. While Goldberg apparently did improve, that's still all the evidence you need to show how creative's over-scripting sucks.

Goldberg, a guy who was never a solid talker back in his prime, came out and dropped a better promo than most of the roster. While Goldberg apparently did improve, that's still all the evidence you need to show how creative's over-scripting sucks.

Yep.

And the Goldberg promo was even like that great either. It was solid but not much more than that.

It was just great for a Goldberg promo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The part that was good about Goldberg's promo wasn't anything he said, it was that he came out there, legit looking choked up and emotional about what was happening around him instead of selling that its all fake bullshit. It was like the polar opposite of the kind of terrible pandering shit Seth Rollins was spewing 3 hours prior. Even Roman's promo was better than that (even though he came off as a dick) because Rusev played the funny heel and Roman got off like 2 good lines (I thought the 911 line was good) and then that was it.

Incidentally, Roman/Rusev would be a *great* double turn, even if its never happening. I've always though Rusev was one of the guys who could play babyface and do it pretty well if they needed him to. There's lots of guys who I just can't picture switching (e.g. Sami Zayn, or Seth Rollins, who is coincidentally doing a terrible job as face now) but I could see it.

tumblr_oaxq6qwoeU1sbzhteo1_500.gif

One of those two is competiting for the WWE Championship tonight.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One of those two is competiting for the WWE Championship tonight.

My assumption is that its a quick squash followed by Ambrose shenanigans. Which is fine really. Ellsworth has been fun, but let's get him back on the shelf until his Royal Rumble appearance.

Kaladin

That whole Jericho / Owens / Rollins promo is what is wrong with WWE promos today. The crowd ate it up from both sides, but they were just working lines to get to their scripted bits. Jericho got all of his shit in, Rollins got a chantable insult on Jericho.....it was terribly scripted and pandering to the crowd....a crowd that ate everything they said up.

kiguel182

The Cruiserweight Division as it stands flies in the face of the work guys like Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit and CM Punk and Daniel Bryan did to get smaller guys over on the main roster.

Putting these guys on the same show as other wrestlers who are of similar skill and size but quarantining them to a "cruiserweight division" not only insults their abilities, it insults the work of everyone who has fought to show that size doesn't matter in WWE.

Yeah, the idea of a cruiserweight division undoes years of work that smaller guys did.

Daniel Bryan, a guy that legitimately main evented Wrestlemania, would be put into that box and probably wouldn't get to where he got.

You can argue that WWE put the best writers on that promo, but at the same time you can give sasha the best writers and she'll still suck it up out there.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Yeah, the idea of a cruiserweight division undoes years of work that smaller guys did.

Daniel Bryan, a guy that legitimately main evented Wrestlemania, would be put into that box and probably wouldn't get to where he got.

The part that really gets me is that they make the Cruiserweight stuff look like a separate show, with the purple ropes and apron. It's basically telling everyone at home that this is different and not as good and not worthy of the regular Raw name and colors..

Anth0ny

One of my faves from the last couple of days.

Jim Cornette Shoots On Gun Control In America

"And these 2nd Amendment motherfuckers don't realize that the Constitution was written back when leaches were cutting edge medical technology"

in..fucking...tears...right now

so u think that tighter gun laws will keep them out of the bad folks hands???????? if so jim u are some kind of stupid aint you????? and also according to that peace of paper signed September 17, 1787 allows us to have them lol and how the fuck do u think a cow chicken or pig is raised and treated????????? we are wrong as hunters b/c we want good clean healthy meat?? and fyi if not for a deer season they would be over populated then what happens dumb fuck????? it makes them starve to death b/c its not enough food for them u dumb fuck so whats worse them literary starving them to death??? or us controlling population??? oh and how many times do u hear folks crying i hit a deer well how many more do think it would be without a deer season fucking sad to know someone like u lives in the south and with u being from the south i will bet anything your ass ate deer rabbits and so on as a child we all did and most still do for the fact that i can tell u what they ate do u even know how a butcher kills there beef and pork and so own if not shut the fuck up b/c its way more cruel if u dont think so u are a dumb fuck we raise calfs just to kill them as a calf b/c its more tender thats all good???? but letting a buck grow breed and then eating them after they are grown is wrong??? lol but u dont eat meat do u???just keep this in mind the next time u put us hunters in your shit According to a 2013 report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 6.6 million cows were commercially slaughtered in the U.S. in 2012, which results in an average of 18,032 cows killed each day. Including steers and heifers, a total of 32.95 million cattle were commercially slaughtered, which averages to 90,027 killed each day. but thats ok i guess?????????????

Nekofrog

Banned
I was never super into Goldberg back then but I appreciated how great his build was and how well he played the role given. Just wasnt my cup of tea. Liked him vs raven and Diamond Dallas Paralyzed.

I loved the return last night and I wasn't expecting much. When he started addressing the in ring camera I squealed.

Kaladin

The part that really gets me is that they make the Cruiserweight stuff look like a separate show, with the purple ropes and apron. It's basically telling everyone at home that this is different and not as good and not worthy of the regular Raw name and colors..

Yep. When you had them on the CWC, it made them look special and like it was something totally different and new. But when you take a group of those same wrestlers and move that same presentation to a segment on Raw, it becomes a boring filler match in a larger show and it feels like you're telling the audience these guys are a side attraction to the main event.

Angry Grimace

Ellsworth is fun and wrestling needs to be fun.

But you can't do it all the time. I don't think he's worn out his welcome yet, but this is probably as far as they can take it before it gets old.

Bringing him in the Rumble would be great though, but it would need pretty much from now until then to breathe to re-invigorate the Ellsworth humor level.

Uh, what? It's a fun and engaging story which is rare in WWE. I think it's more than okay to be enjoying it.

Hopefully tonight is the end of it. Have AJ murder him.

I think printing Ellsworth t-shirts is going a bit far, no?

I'm ok with fun and good stories, but I feel like they went from 0-60 on this one

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ellsworth needs to adopt his gimmick once it gets stale to a the wwe version of a toru yano gimmick

sublime master thief ellsworth

Sephzilla

Ellsworth should just make sure to not tuck his head this time.

Also, in terms of kayfabe shouldn't Ambrose want AJ to win this match? If AJ was to lose that means Ambrose has to keep waiting for a title shot

ReiGun

Bless Ryback's heart, he really tried to get himself over in a variety of bizarre ways which is more than I can say for most.
If nothing else, Ryback's stories show Vince doesn't value talent taking initiative as much as people like Austin would have you believe.

Cosmozone

Sasha's mic work goes down dramatically as a face, which is per the norm for Raw. She works way better as a heel. The problem with that is Charlotte also works better as a heel. Basically, the problem with Raw's women's division is that everyone besides Bayley works better as a heel.
Nia Jax would work better as a face (with proper writing).

Top Bottom