• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And the other is going to murder Sami Zayn on a preshow

I don't think Zayn will be relegated to the pre-show, but I simply can't fathom how its possible that even one of the best wrestlers in the entire world could carry Brawn Strongman to a safe, good match.

The Smackdown roster is extremely thin, and AJ is great at making comedy work. A mini filler feud is fine.

There isn't even a PPV for SD until Survivor Series. They have to dawdle just to fill up time. It's fine and better than AJ getting hit with exploding slime briefcases.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Sasha thread does make me question how the hell they intend to keep momentum for the women's division up given how ridiculously thin the roster is in NXT.

Those Two Australian Girls aren't particularly good, Liv Morgan is Carmella but somehow worse, and Asuka, Nikki Cross and Ember Moon aren't likely to get called up any time soon.

Raw can always insert Bayley into the picture to keep it going for a while (and Survivor Series obviously won't have any other women's matches other than the traditional tag), but at some point there has to be a legitimate challenger for Becky, and I just can't envision them putting Alexa over their most popular female star in her first defense.

Braun vs Zayn could legit be MOTN.

Based off how Zayn sells offense and the ability to be the "oh shit he might actually do it" guy that he's so good at being.

And Braun should win.

The Sasha thread does make me question how the hell they intend to keep momentum for the women's division up given how ridiculously thin the roster is in NXT.

Those Two Australian Girls aren't particularly good, Liv Morgan is Carmella but somehow worse, and Asuka, Nikki Cross and Ember Moon aren't likely to get called up any time soon.

Raw can always insert Bayley into the picture to keep it going for a while (and Survivor Series obviously won't have any other women's matches other than the traditional tag), but at some point there has to be a legitimate challenger for Becky, and I just can't envision them putting Alexa over their most popular female star in her first defense.

They could have James beat Asuka and send her up, and sign James to a short term contract. It's believable for her to beat Asuka, and a hell of a lot more believable for James to be beaten then Asuka. Asuka -> James -> Moon would work moving the title, freeing up Asuka to go to smackdown.

I don't know that Asuka should go to smackdown though, she only has two believable matches there (nattie, becky), while she has four on raw (Sasha, Charlotte, Bayley rematch, Nia).

Sephzilla

Legit question - has Goldberg ever said/done anything really bad? I can never really remember him doing something that would immediately make me dislike him

Angry Grimace

Yep, Meltzer said on WOR that Goldberg has always been a good guy who cares about kids and stuff like that and that he has a lot of stories about Bill doing charity work and stuff for kids on the side, but that he didn't mention it because if Bill wasn't mentioning it, then he didn't want it out there.

Brawn shouldn't beat a guy like Sami.

I feel like the Balor injury ended up hurting Sami because Owens immediately got the headlining spot and immediately had to eat a pin to justify Owens' being the champ despite losing to Zayn the month prior, which then relegated Zayn to the Ziggler spot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Legit question - has Goldberg ever said/done anything really bad? I can never really remember him doing something that would immediately make me dislike him

Only if you're Evan Karaigis.

He supposedly had an ego back in the day but that was a long, long time ago. He also put over the cruiserweights and Jericho specifically many times during his interviews. It's why I always think it's funny people praise Regal for his 'shooting' on Goldberg because to me it just makes Regal look like an unprofessional dickhead taking it out on someone who had nothing to do with him not getting treated the way he wanted.

Angry Grimace

I honestly don't know if, even in a brand split era, Zayn will ever get over enough to be more than a minor title guy. He's a great wrestler, but he's known to be prickly when working with others and unlike Owens, he doesn't really exude a type of charisma.

Owens is just the kind of guy where he walks out on stage and you know what his character is and what would be consistent with him. Not everyone can do that.

I think he used to take things in the business a bit too seriously, at least that's the impression I got from the jezza autobiography. Could of just been Jericho blowing smoke though

Mahonay

Banned
Could of just been Jericho blowing smoke though
giphy.gif

Sephzilla

I don't think I would blame Goldberg for taking the business a little too seriously when he was younger. He was pushed through the moon when he was still green and probably had a lot of people in his ear talking about how they needed to beat WWF in ratings and all that shit, plus people probably warning him about backstage politics and shit.

RBH

Dave Meltzer talks about Goldberg this morning on Wrestling Observer radio:

"Bill's a really great guy...one year in Atlanta he filled his van with nothing but toys and stuffed animals and drove to visit sick children and underprivileged children...I know plenty of stories like this about Bill."

Kaladin

Real Talk : I see a lot of early Goldberg in Strowman. Same kind of intensity, same kind of presence. The guy has it if WWE can keep up what they're doing and actually do something similar to the streak with him.

That's what we're talking about lol

Real Talk : I see a lot of early Goldberg in Strowman. Same kind of intensity, same kind of presence. The guy has it if WWE can keep up what they're doing and actually do something similar to the streak with him.

I'm worried he's a bit too awkward in how he moves. Also, he's never stopped looking green as hell.

Kaladin

I'm worried he's a bit too awkward in how he moves. Also, he's never stopped looking green as hell.

I beg to differ. He looks more confident every week it seems and his moveset has really grown since they started the jobber matches. He's still green, but he's at the point he needs someone to actually compete with rather than toss around.

Angry Grimace

That's what we're talking about lol

The problem is that whatever his potential is, he needed more time learning to wrestle and they straight up skipped the part where he wrestles in developmental.

Kaladin

The problem is that whatever his potential is, he needed more time learning to wrestle and they straight up skipped the part where he wrestles in developmental.

If you forget the Wyatt Family run, he's essentially getting his NXT run now. It's just on Raw. He just spent the last 3 months destroying jobbers, just like they do with any big man in NXT.

Fox318

In an off way you can see why he never came back to wrestling.

Say what you want about MMA but there is an honesty and respect to it. Ultimately you have to prove your worth and there is a level of respect. I think that's why Goldberg moved over to cover that instead of being like Kevin Nash making 8 k to work a small indie.

Now wrestling is a script heavy soap opera so people like the McMahons can claim all the credit. When people watch NJPW nobody comes away talking about Goto , they talk about the stars. And Goldberg is whatever his faults a star because he was himself and he had an identity.

Meanwhile Vince is scripting Reigns like a teletubby and thinking that Cesaro needs a Facebook live gimmick to get over.

Just because the results of the contest May be fake doesn't and the impact of moves isn't meant to main doesn't mean that the people in the ring have to be fake and scripted.

Last night was proof of that and you can tell it was also something they didn't really want to do.

Maybe part of the problem is nobody wants to be a tough guy or a fighter, they want to be entertainers.

Top Bottom