• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

imBask

Banned
Can't believe you guys would prefer keeping it the way it is right now. A shit show of uninteresting matches booked to make Stephanie McMahon look strong in her book

MC Safety

Using the term is unnecessarily disrespectful to the lady wrasslers.

You bought into that?

Diva refers to a woman of extraordinary skill and quality.

I understand why they changed it. I prefer "women" to "diva," too.

But diva was neither derogatory nor disrespectful.

Many of the people they have are fine.

They just need to be better booked and not be quite so sloppy/dangerous with the big flying moves.

But the men need to be better booked too, that's not just a women's problem. But yes, the women's booking specifically tends to default to crap it shouldn't because of vince. I was not remotely impressed by the "miss piggy" jibe directed at Dana a few weeks ago.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with SmackDown isn't anything to do with booking or the show. The show is fine. Its that there just literally aren't enough guys I really want to see because they're all languishing in NXT. I was really hoping we'd see some of these newer recruits like Big Damo, Tommy End and Adam Cole (that one is just a rumor since Cole is currently the ROH champion and under contract, but the rumor is that he was mostly out the door just prior to that) do the NXT thing.

Guys like Roode, Joe and Nak have no real business still being in NXT.

The problem with SmackDown isn't anything to do with booking or the show. The show is fine. Its that there just literally aren't enough guys I really want to see because they're all languishing in NXT. I was really hoping we'd see some of these newer recruits like Big Damo, Tommy End and Adam Cole (that one is just a rumor since Cole is currently the ROH champion and under contract, but the rumor is that he was mostly out the door just prior to that) do the NXT thing.

Guys like Roode, Joe and Nak have no real business still being in NXT.

Well I'd like Roode to get a decent finisher before he leaves NXT at least

somedevil

smackdown viewership:

Tuesday’s WWE Smackdown Live averaged 2.405 million viewers for USA Network, according to Showbuzzdaily.com. The number was down slightly from the 2.448 million count from last Tuesday’s edition.

Down 43,000 compared to last week.

Catching up on the last two episodes of Smackdown, watching last week's right now. I really like this Ambrose/AJ feud

EDIT: Picture in picture returns???? Can they only use it once every 3 months

Dah Meltz said:
Just saying I'm in the middle of the TNA article, and this issue will tell the story of the real day that led to nearly killing the brand.

One could make an argument that the day that really led to the apparent death of TNA was Vince Russo first being thrust into the wrasslin' world.

Tagyhag

wrestling is fake bullshit, intergender is totally fine when you don't treat it as something to get someone off

Yeah, I'm down with them trying.

Of course this is WWE so they'll fuck it up IMMEDIATELY, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Maybe they can come up with something good.

Here's Ryota Hama delivering a fat German suplex to Hideki Suzuki.
hama2.gif

klonere

Banned
doing a lot of intergender gets you more or less blacklisted from NXT on the female side, at least that's the line I see all the time.

I still maintain the Bucks vs Joey and Candice is a great great great match.

doing a lot of intergender gets you more or less blacklisted from NXT on the female side, at least that's the line I see all the time.

I've heard that line, and I've also heard it goes both ways, but I know Crazy Mary has done a decent amount of that, and they've looked at people like Kay Lee Ray who made a name mostly off intergender.

Can't believe you guys would prefer keeping it the way it is right now. A shit show of uninteresting matches booked to make Stephanie McMahon look strong in her book

I apologize for not getting a kick out of watching women getting beat up by men like you. That's not the ideal future, sorry.

imBask

Banned
Asuka vs Perkins for example would be a dope match that I would wanna watch

as others have said nobody wants to see Bayley vs Big Show, that's not the point of intergender matches

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've never seen a good, let alone great, intergender match. And I've seen some featuring wrestlers I consider goat-worthy on both sides.

No thanks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Aja Kong vs Minoru Suzuki is much better than Kana vs Minoru Suzuki(imagine that, someone better than Kana.) and it's still not great

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think that people's view on intergender matches really depends on how seriously they take kayfabe. I can certainly see how if you see them as simply actors with essentially wrestling superpowers, you might not have a problem with it, but on the other hand, the unfortunate implications are still there when you have a muscled up dude fighting a woman.

I'm on the latter side of this argument. I don't think it adds anything but the unfortunate implications, and men delivering stiff forearms to tiny women seems wrong.

it is hard to converse with someone whose entire argument is built around fallacies. your position is centered around extremities and you are taking those extremities and saying "See? can't work!". Like anything else, it can and under the right circumstances per my post above in this page.

I'm not sure what to tell you. There are men who were Charlotte's height and smaller who have been in matches and have been man handled by guys like Big Show, Brock, Taker etc; Usually results in a squash. The ones that stood a chance had more mass than a Charlotte. Hell, even the intergender shit Chyna did, or Lita was uncomfortable.

Remember a week or two ago with Charlotte and Sasha standing up to Rusev? How do you think that would have gone if he legit got in there and did his shit..?

I obviously agree kayfabe plays a huge role. See some of the characters we have to just buy as threats? Are we really to expect Sami stands a chance against Braun IRL? but we do. And I'm sure if they book it, we can have competitive matches with Sasha going up against giants like Rey and other smaller wrestlers have done in the past.

Still wouldn't make me feel any less uncomfortable seeing Brock take Sasha to suplex city. If you want men vs. women, you should expect to get everything in that package. Including Braun facing female jobbers. and Rey Mysterio David Vs. Goliath underdog stories.

That's the point I'm trying to make with my extremes. If you want that intergender equality, men and women on the same footing, you get the good with the bad.

i wonder if lake effect kid really thought spike was a woman :D

I picked that gif as an example. Because Spike is roughly average height of the women's Division. So that's basically what it'd look like if Brock just rag-dolled some of them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think that people's view on intergender matches really depends on how seriously they take kayfabe. I can certainly see how if you see them as simply actors with essentially wrestling superpowers, you might not have a problem with it, but on the other hand, the unfortunate implications are still there when you have a muscled up dude fighting a woman.

I'm on the latter side of this argument. I don't think it adds anything but the unfortunate implications, and men delivering stiff forearms to tiny women seems wrong.

This is why Chyna is a first ballot Man God Wrestling Hall of Famer. She did such a convincing job that she BELONGED with the men. Her wrestling is okay at best. Her promo work...not good at all! But her presence. Her believably. Through the fucking roof.

Kaladin

This is why Chyna is a first ballot Man God Wrestling Hall of Famer. She did such a convincing job that she BELONGED with the men. Her wrestling is okay at best. Her promo work...not good at all! But her presence. Her believably. Through the fucking roof.

There were also legit fans who thought Chyna was a man at times.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There were also legit fans who thought Chyna was a man at times.

People definitely thought that about Nicole Bass, but she did not have the same aura that she could mix it up with the men. She was more like the women's version of Reese/Giant Gonzalez.

Great post and, btw, I will not ever tell someone when they should or should not feel uncomfortable. It is a good starting point to discuss how to address the issue on a multitude of layers. A lot of problems are also a direct link to some of the systematic issues in our society but i will leave that alone for meow.

It's just a weird thing to discuss without somehow looking terrible on either argument, honestly. Especially with something like pro-wrestling which isn't real, but pretends to be real? I dunno. Like you buy it in comics because super powers usually put people on equal footing, regardless of gender, age, height or weight. But if you were to set up a UFC fight against two professionally trained fighters from either gender, more often than not, the guy will win. But in the WWE we buy into Rey standing a chance to beat Brock Lesnar? But we wouldn't want to see some 125 pounder go up against a super heavy weight. That just doesn't work, it's not possible.

So how do we come up with a fine balance between reality and kayfabe?

Wrestling is fucking weird.

somedevil

From John Pollock. It looks like TNA has possibility found another money mark in the name of Anthem aka fightnetwork in Canada:

Have confirmed that the TNA / Billy Corgan hearing has been moved to next Wednesday, Anthem will be putting out statement today

Anthem is also offering to fund TNA in order to repay the loans of Billy Corgan

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly, its the most regressive thing about the PG era. Men and women, portraying realistic super heroes in this fake sport, won't get physical. It's legitimately the one thing I miss most about the attitude era and the one bit of realism that detracts from the product. I could give a shit about blading, chair shots to the head, unsafe bumps galore, bragging about wrestling while concussed. But the idea that these over the top characters are stopped by the PG morality that says that one sex can't get in the mix with another is ludicrous. It's mainly self imposed too as the Beth Phoenix Santino stuff happened during the early days of PG.

Top Bottom