• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

They just need to review the tape and get rid of the biting and hitting herself plus the crazy noises.
Yeah, I just watched and I honestly like what she's going for. But especially when she stops the flow of the match like "oh hold on let me hit myself" it's too much

I could only see the biting thing working if she was getting beat and trying to hulk up or something, even then ehhh

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The benefits of a smaller roster is that they made sure to highlight their major guys very well.

Razor in 1995 is arguably the most over face on the roster despite never being world champion. Even over Bret in a lot of towns.

They really knew how to build feuds in 1993/1994 WWF. Funny considering they are two of the worst years for business. RAW legitimately was taped at high school gyms some weeks.
Talk shit all you want about 93-95 but the stories were well thought of even with the silly gimmicks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Moose vs Lashley was pretty fun
sdasadsadsf6fsuf.gif

fddsdsfsfdtusml.gif

but man there were some Full Sail-esque dummies in the crowd really trying to ruin it. I guess it's good to see moron manchildren expose their racism to others in television(by chanting 'which one's bobby' thankfully some of the other crowd started shutting them down)

They really knew how to build feuds in 1993/1994 WWF. Funny considering they are two of the worst years for business. RAW legitimately was taped at high school gyms some weeks.

The thing was, compared to the past, the show was bad. It's just compared to now, there's still some sembelance of planning.

>WWE alive in 25 years
jFQx19D.gif

Oh, so wrestling will be like roller derby - something amateurs do in front of a few hundred people as kind of a lark? Because if the WWE collapses, New Japan or TNA or PROGRESS or Lucha Underground ain't replacing them. Wrestling will just slowly die.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Put the strap on Takeda, Akiyama. He's got more star power than your whole roster right now.

No not the junior title. THE title. There are so many women in the crowd at the latest AJPW show and they all lit up the second Takeda came out

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And watching AJPW kind of got me thinking. This dude deserves to be in the discussion of GOAT just as much as your Brets or HBKs or Flairs or whatever.
dfaac6b4d185da6b8c35fcfbd3836ecd.jpg

+Legendary in Japan and Mexico. Arguably the biggest Japanese wrestling star in US history.
+Helped usher in the greatest era of junior heavyweight pro wrestling in Japan with Jushin Liger and Great Sasuke as the three pillars.
+Went to Mexico and became one of the most hated rudos in the country, having one of the best feuds of 90s lucha with Blue Panther as well as some of the most well regarded technical matches in lucha libre to this day.
+Went back to Mexico and become a huge icon. Still sells out shows in 2016 and fills arenas that CMLL has trouble filling.
+Trained the first generation of what would become the second biggest promotion in Japan(Dragon Gate)
+Is arguably the most influential wrestler for the modern era. He was one of the first wrestlers regularly on television in WCW, NJPW, CMLL and AAA that was mixing lucha libre and the Japanese junior heavyweight style which is the foundation of what Dragon Gate does now and what a massive amount of indie wrestlers do now.

Whenever I think of Ultimo Dragon, I think of how Vince apparently soured on him early because he was expecting Ultimo Dragon to wrestle like Rey Mysterio 2.0. I remember thinking, 'maybe he meant to sign Dragon Kid and got mixed up?'

He's definitely one of the GOATs though. He can still get it done in the ring too.

And watching AJPW kind of got me thinking. This dude deserves to be in the discussion of GOAT just as much as your Brets or HBKs or Flairs or whatever.
dfaac6b4d185da6b8c35fcfbd3836ecd.jpg

+Legendary in Japan and Mexico. Arguably the biggest Japanese wrestling star in US history.
+Helped usher in the greatest era of junior heavyweight pro wrestling in Japan with Jushin Liger and Great Sasuke as the three pillars.
+Went to Mexico and became one of the most hated rudos in the country, having one of the best feuds of 90s lucha with Blue Panther as well as some of the most well regarded technical matches in lucha libre to this day.
+Went back to Mexico and become a huge icon. Still sells out shows in 2016 and fills arenas that CMLL has trouble filling.
+Trained the first generation of what would become the second biggest promotion in Japan(Dragon Gate)
+Is arguably the most influential wrestler for the modern era. He was one of the first wrestlers regularly on television in WCW, NJPW, CMLL and AAA that was mixing lucha libre and the Japanese junior heavyweight style which is the foundation of what Dragon Gate does now and what a massive amount of indie wrestlers do now.

I massively rate this wrestler. Him and Tiger mask are some of my favourite masked wrestlers of all time.

Jamie OD

Moose vs Lashley was pretty fun
sdasadsadsf6fsuf.gif

fddsdsfsfdtusml.gif

but man there were some Full Sail-esque dummies in the crowd really trying to ruin it. I guess it's good to see moron manchildren expose their racism to others in television(by chanting 'which one's bobby' thankfully some of the other crowd started shutting them down)

How Lashley didn't end up drilling his head into the mat with that Spear I'll never know.

HA I thought the "I saw Wade Barrett outside the PROGRESS show" thing was a bit, it actually happened

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/danny-stone/wade-barrett_b_12377556.html
"Have you followed the British scene, what are your thoughts?"

"I’ve spoken to a few British wrestling companies since I left WWE about possibly doing some stuff. I’ve not agreed to do anything yet but it’s been good to sound them out and see what’s going on out there. I know it’s a thriving scene right now. I started wrestling in the UK in 2004 prior to coming over to the US and it was a pretty sparse, barren scene. I was fortunate enough to get in with a guy called Brian Dixon who runs All-Star Wrestling. I did a lot of the holiday camps but he was really the only big promoter out there who was doing anything major. Now I look at what’s going on and there’s some pretty big companies out there - Preston City Wrestling, Progress, Insane Championship Wrestling (ICW), Five Star, RevPro. There’s quite a few big companies that do some exciting stuff. So I’m definitely keeping my eye on what’s going on. There’s a bunch of guys on the UK scene that I’ve been impressed with and it’s amazing to see that the British scene has been thriving so well. Funnily enough I was out in Finsbury Park recently when I shot the movie. I had a Sunday off and thought where shall I go? What’s near here? And I saw that Camden Town wasn’t far and I don’t know London too well but thought it sounded great and I knew it from the Madness song. I was up late as it was a day off and got out at Camden, wandered down the street, its packed and then all of the sudden I saw this huge line of what must have been about 500 wrestling fans at the side of the street. I had no idea they were going to be there but subsequently found out they were queuing for the Progress show which was apparently in town that day. To my horror a couple of people yelled out “Oh My God, there’s Wade Barrett!” So I quickly dived down some side street and sprinted away before I got mobbed but that was a bit of a surprise! But I’m glad they’re doing great business and it’s important that the wrestlers in the UK get the opportunity to perform in front of big and passionate crowds and fan bases that weren’t there when I was coming up on the UK indie scene. Hopefully through that some people will get opportunities to come out to the States and work with some of the big companies out here and work in Japan with New Japan out there."

Turok_TTZ

Three active WWE wrestlers that you just don't care for right now, and go!

Sasha
Bayley
Kendrick
Replace kendrick with TJ Perkins and that would be my list.

I dont see the hype for sasha banks.
Bayley is too soft. Never liked tjp from the beginnig, probably never will.

Replace kendrick with TJ Perkins and that would be my list.

I dont see the hype for sasha banks.
Bayley is too soft. Never liked tjp from the beginnig, probably never will.

Three wrestlers I care for the least right now

James Ellsworth
Dean Ambrose
The New Day

Don't get me wrong - the list is huge... but these three spring to mind first

Cosmozone

Disagree Guy said:
Don't get me wrong - the list is huge... but these three spring to mind first
My list is small, actually. Even had a bit of a difficulty thinking about three people. Perhaps because I always look at some person and find something sympathetic or relatable to him/her. Even the likes of Titus or Natalya. Am I too soft? lol

My list is small, actually. Even had a bit of a difficulty thinking about three people. Perhaps because I always look at some person and find something sympathetic or relatable to him/her. Even the likes of Titus or Natalya. Am I too soft? lol

I think it's more just that I find alot of modern wrestlers boring compared to wrestlers from the 90's

Personal taste I guess

klonere

Banned
Wrestlers I care for a lot right now in no particular order

1) Kenny Omega
2) Shingo Takagi
3) AJ Stylish
4) Tetsuya Naito
5) Mark Haskins
6) Liverpool's number 1 Zack Gibson
7) Chris Hero
8) Fred Yehi
9) Kazuchika Okada
10) The Miz

and many many more. The graps is good.

It's hard to not be sympathetic when even people you like are being used in terrible/boring ways a lot of the time

I don't really expect people to shine when they're given garbage opportunities. There's just people who are harder to watch than others, where you watch and you can't see any way they would be interesting even if they had something else going

1) AJ Styles
2) Kenny Omega
3) The Miz
4) Kazuchika Okada
5) Jericho
6) Tetsuya Naito
7) Zack Sabre Jr
8) Volador Jr
9) The Revival
10) Asuka

Naito should be higher, but I'm not a huge fan of how been booked since Dominion. I love Omega but I kinda feel Naito should have been going to WK. :/

I need to start watching ROH again, I hear PBK have been amazing against War Machine.

I don't think there's been this many talented wrestlers out there since the monday night wars.

I'm sure you've done it plenty of times but lets all discuss out favourite matches and why.

This doesnt necessarily mean 'best matches' ever... just ones that are your guilty pleasure for re-watching over and over

Tajiri Vs Super Crazy(Pick any match from ECW feud)
The fast pace of these matches was incredible. Joey Styles had trouble just calling it. A real exciting pleasure to watch

Ricky Steamboat vs Ric Flair (Clash of Champs 6) 2 out of three falls
It's an hour long. Most people don't realise that. What an incredible piece of wrestling. Arguably the best ever.

Bret Hart Vs Austin (WM13)
Arguably the match of each of these two's career. Seminal in the timeline of Stone Cold becoming what he was and therefore shaping the course of wrestling history.

HBK VS Undertaker 2 (Retirement match)
The most perfect wrestling match I've ever seen. It's a shame the outcome is memorable because we all know taker only lost once but watching it live was a spectacle

ReiGun

Wrestlers I care for a lot right now in no particular oorder

1) AJ Styles
2) Broken Matt Hardy
3) Kevin Owens
4) Chris Jericho
5) Charlotte
6) Sasha Banks
7) The Miz
8) Asuka
9) The New Day
10) Heath Slater
11) Shinsuke Nakamura
12) Samoa Joe
13) Rich Swann
14) Booby Roode
15) Tye Dillenger

Five matches I enjoy the most are probably

Shawn VS Taker - Badd Blood 97
Bret VS Austin - Survivor Series 96
Bret VS Austin - Wrestlemania 13
Austin VS Dude Love - Over the Edge 98

Just such great builds and storytelling in the above.

The worst match I love is probably Shawn VS Vince at Wrestlemania 22. Shawn just DESTROYS vince which is hilarious, and JR is egging him on. Amazing stuff:

"Hit him harder shawn"
"the black heart"
"if he has a heart, I swear to god it's black"
"hit him over the head with it....then shove up his ass" (A giant picture of mcmahon from a magazine)

Austin VS Dude Love - Over the Edge 97

The worst match I love is probably Shawn VS Vince at Wrestlemania 17. Shawn just DESTROYS vince which is hilarious, and JR is egging him on. Amazing stuff:

"Hit him harder shawn"
"the black heart"
"hit him over the head with it....then shove up his ass" (A giant picture of mcmahon from a magazine)
If only Shawn did fight at 17.

It was 22 😄

If only Shawn did fight at 17.

It was 22 ��

Whoops

I wrote that, thought it looked wrong and figured I'd check after I wrote all the JR quotes out, but I had so much fun remembering them I forgot lol

I think he had severe problems at 17, he was supposed to be involved in the main event program but was high in the shows leading up to it or somesuch

Whoops

I wrote that, thought it looked wrong and figured I'd check after I wrote all the JR quotes out, but I had so much fun remembering them I forgot lol

I think he had severe problems at 17, he was supposed to be involved in the main event program but was high in the shows leading up to it or somesuch
Yep, he had signed a new contract and was supposed to fight Hunter but he was still fucked. This is when he made his turn around. Imagine that match though if he wasn't showing himself in those meetings. A pilled up hbk one last time. But it all worked out for the better.

Raw64life

My current fav five and five most overrated wrestlers combined into 1 list

1. Nakamura
2. Sami Zayn
3. Charlotte
4. Becky
5. Ibushi
6. The Miz
7. Marufuji
8. TJ Perkins
9. Sasha Banks
10. Omega

Austin VS Dude Love - Over the Edge 97

The worst match I love is probably Shawn VS Vince at Wrestlemania 22. Shawn just DESTROYS vince which is hilarious, and JR is egging him on. Amazing stuff:

"Hit him harder shawn"
"the black heart"

Literally laughed out loud reading that in JR's voice. I remember that vividly. Good choices too haha.

The worst match I love is that hardcore title battle royal from like WM18 or something where the title changed hands like 30 times. It's just so much fun.

Top Bottom