• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Striker

I think it's more just that I find alot of modern wrestlers boring compared to wrestlers from the 90's

Personal taste I guess
Most of them just feel like caws with a big moveset, many of which have no idea how to wrestle with ring psychology or know how to act like a heel. I mean other than older vets like Henry and Jericho, there's probably like three or four I actually either enjoy/don't mind/seek out when I'm on the YT channel looking for clips.

Cosmozone

I think it's more just that I find alot of modern wrestlers boring compared to wrestlers from the 90's

Personal taste I guess
When I was watching wrestling back in my youth/childhood, I was used to flamboyant wrestlers such as Hogan, Warrior and Undertaker. Many of the others were not really compelling to me. That especially included Bret Hart with his awful pink colored costume and stupid catchphrase, but also: Shawn Michaels (the most acceptable from the bunch though), Dusty Rhodes, Million Dollar Man, Diesel, Macho Man, Razor Ramon, Roddy Piper, Davey Boy Smith, Tatanka, Yokozuna, Jake Roberts. HHH was some jobber, Steve Austin was mostly recognizable because he was bald, but I stopped watching soon after he appeared so I haven't seen much of him. I think because WWF wasn't on TV anymore over here then. I liked Goldust and Waylon Mercy (yay!), though.

Edit: For some reason, I really liked Owen Hart, although he was pretty normal for the time.

Since I've started watching again, I'm far more lenient towards normal gimmicks. Perhaps because my English is better and I'm more into the matches themselves.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Fav 5 matches

1.) Bret v Austin WM 13 - Nothing really to be said here, a great match. Maybe the greatest match.
2.) Rock v Hogan WM 18 - Not the greatest match, but the spectacle of it all just makes it have a special place in my heart.
3.) Angle v Michaels WM 21 - Its a match between Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle, how could it not be great?
4.)E&C vs Hardyz ladder match No Mercy 99 - This match blew my mind when I first saw it. It took the ladder match to a new level.
5.) Mankind v Undertaker hell in a cell KOTR 98 - First wrestling PPV I ever bought. I actually thought Mick getting thrown off the top of the cell was an accident. Mick Foley climbing back to the top an continuing instantly made him my favorite wrestler ever.

Fuck it - honorable mention

Sasha vs Bayley Takeover Brooklyn - Match is great in ring, it tells a great story, and the end/curtain call hits me in the feels every time.

Fav 5 matches

1.) Bret v Austin WM 13 - Nothing really to be said here, a great match. Maybe the greatest match.
2.) Rock v Hogan WM 18 - Not the greatest match, but the spectacle of it all just makes it have a special place in my heart.
3.) Angle v Michaels WM 21 - Its a match between Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle, how could it not be great?
4.)E&C vs Hardyz ladder match No Mercy 99 - This match blew my mind when I first saw it. It took the ladder match to a new level.
5.) Mankind v Undertaker hell in a cell KOTR 98 - First wrestling PPV I ever bought. I actually thought Mick getting thrown off the top of the cell was an accident. Mick Foley climbing back to the top an continuing instantly made him my favorite wrestler ever.

Fuck it - honorable mention

Sasha vs Bayley Takeover Brooklyn - Match is great in ring, it tells a great story, and the end/curtain call hits me in the feels every time.

Didn't this match have the honour of being the only female match to win the PWI match of the year? Amazing match

Mahonay

Banned
My personal favorite 5 matches, in chronological order.

Stone Cold vs Bret Hart - WM13
Cactus Jack vs HHH - Royal Rumble 2000
Shawn Michaels vs HHH vs Chris Benoit WM20
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels WM25
Shinsuke Nakamura vs AJ Styles - WK10

Honorary mentions:
Daniel Bryan vs John Cena - SummerSlam 2013
Bayley vs Sasha Banks - TakeOver Brooklyn 1

My biggest issue with it is the reversal feature.

You have a certain number of reversals - which slowly replenish over time.

Andre the Giant has three reversals - Bret Hart has 5.

What that means is once Andre has attempted three reversals, Bret can reverse the next move. This leaves Andre helpless for at least a few moves until his first reversal replenishes.

Once it does - he reverses - Bret reverses that and then rinse and repeat.

It basically means if you have more reversal points at the start of the match than your opponent - you can effectively leave them helpless for large portions of it and just slowly wear them down. It's a really big design flaw.

Heroman

Banned
Kenta Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama is the greatest match of time
Prove me Wrong
WJxOco.gif

imBask

Banned
the wcw one sounds off beat AND out of tune, it's real bad, plus the WWE one fits way better with the Goldberg chant

take your stupid WCW nostalgia mark goggles off

According to Pwinsider.com, former WWF wrestler and manager Jean “Frenchy Martin” Gagne passed away this morning. Martin entered into hospice care several weeks ago as he was battling cancer. He was 66 at the time of his passing. Prior to working with the WWF in the 80s, Martin had long runs in Stampede Wrestling and in Puerto Rico. When he arrived in WWE, he wrestled, did commentary, hosted an interview segment for international broadcasts and also managed the late Dino Bravo.
http://411mania.com/wrestling/frenchy-martin-passes-away/

Wrestlers I care for a lot right now in no particular order

1) Kenny Omega
2) Shingo Takagi
3) AJ Stylish
4) Tetsuya Naito
5) Mark Haskins
6) Liverpool's number 1 Zack Gibson
7) Chris Hero
8) Fred Yehi
9) Kazuchika Okada
10) The Miz

and many many more. The graps is good.

In no particular order:
Kento Miyahara (AJPW)
Shuji Ishikawa
Tyler Bate (PROGRESS/wXw)
Naoya Nomura (AJPW)
Chris Hero
Shingo Takagi
Zack Sabre Jr.
Matt Riddle
Fred Yehi
Daisuke Sekimoto

klonere

Banned
It's okay imbask you come across as having a better grasp of the english language than say, Blue.

In no particular order:
Kento Miyahara (AJPW)
Shuji Ishikawa
Tyler Bate (PROGRESS/wXw)
Naoya Nomura (AJPW)
Chris Hero
Shingo Takagi
Zack Sabre Jr.
Matt Riddle
Fred Yehi
Daisuke Sekimoto

How did I forgot the best champion in wrestling right now Kento Miyahara. I am ashamed.

People have been talking up Ishikawa to me but effort of watching DDT when I'm already behind on DG and EVOLVE.

It's okay imbask you come across as having a better grasp of the english language than say, Blue.

How did I forgot the best champion in wrestling right now Kento Miyahara. I am ashamed.

People have been talking up Ishikawa to me but effort of watching DDT when I'm already behind on DG and EVOLVE.
Shut your damn mouth jabroni.

lol

I think I heard he demands they get Gertwitz to write his stuff whenever he comes back, even though Gertwitz left the company ages ago. Bet Vince HATES that

he's samoan, of course it is

That and there's nothing in it but bile.

Still disgusts me how that Hall of Fame went down

Top Bottom