• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

I agree with the Z-man. APA is A+

Chuck Norris giving jarrett the boot is still the funniest thing ever.

Complete with the break dancing sell.

After watching a well-booked episode of Real Housewives of NJ and a rousing Cards-Hawks tie, I sat down at my computer to speedwatch Hell in a Cell 2016 and saw the Network featuring the 2014 PPV and got very confused.

I forgot it wasn't tonight.

WWE is too hard to keep track of.

That show still has drawing power?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That Vamp/Mesias match was fucking awful. I had to wash it out with a good match from my boys at FMW
ggrgrergerplsq1.gif

dsasdffdfq3sz6.gif

aswdseaefefwwefe7sh4.gif

dsasadsadasddsas1scu.gif

Jamie OD

Been looking at World of Sport matches on Youtube. At times I see some spots that are wonderful in their simplicity then I get this completely out of nowhere.

RjZMa01.gif

So with the rumour some major streaming news is going to drop today, flosports has been mentioned as well as wwe network.

I'd never even heard of flosports before today lol

shaowebb

He left himself dangerously close to a roll-up at the end there. Flipping is fine friends, but do it with one eye open.

Oh for...NO ONE NO SELLS FLIPPY SHIT THAT LOOKS GOOD.
Dangerously close to a roll up. *eyeroll*
Yeah maybe if he was facing Goldberg, Hawk or Ultimate Warrior out there no selling for every thing. No one mutes a damned hype spot if they want people to be entertained in their matches. You have to build up to a moment for a GOOD counter.

Menome

Yeah maybe if he was facing Goldberg, Hawk or Ultimate Warrior out there no selling for every thing. No one mutes a damned hype spot if they want people to be entertained in their matches. You have to build up to a moment for a GOOD counter.

I think you may have taken me a bit too seriously on that comment, friend.

#worked

Go to bed

I thought it was obligatory to post the Lesnar shooting star botch whenever a flip is mentioned.

My favourite botch apart from Ultimo Dragon slipping over on his WM entrance.

I've got to say

Flips are nice, but suplexes, counters and submission holds have always been the best physical part of a wrestling match for me. I always preferred high flying moves to be a big spot a wrestler will do in a risk-everything-for-the-win moment.

It should be a rarity for someone to kick out of a big top rope move, it devalues it when it becomes the norm.

shaowebb

shaowebb worked himself into a shoot

Damned straight. :)
If you've even been in a ring in front of a crowd and you hear folks make suggestions that would've killed a spot and lost match momentum with a crowd is a shoot situation. We were entertainers folks. Both tell the story. If a dude does something flippy as fuck, especially off a hot tag, you sell that shit.

Besides rollups are very very rarely hype counters even for pins. You generally have to blindside someone with one during their finish or when they're distracted to get the crowd hot. In my experience if you want to look good countering a flip either catch them into a slam or submit them for the best pops. Powerslamming a diver is fucking ace with crowds BTW and easy to do. You basically just help the dude tuck and the crowd buys you as "countering" some flip and not just riding out momentum from someone else.

Just...do it in the ring. Seen bad stuff as a result of powerslam rolling with a suicide dive move before on the outside. We were all pretty scared in the back. Turns out he pinched a nerve or something but at the time we were all certain he was in for serious spinal shit.

Meh sorry. Been years since I've been close to the product on anything like at the old armory and fairground shit. I'll go get some sleep now.

klonere

Banned
I watched a lot of graps over the weekend, the two most recent AJPW and Dragon Gate shows (that are available) and the first half and a bit of PROGRESS's latest show.

- Dragon Gate is as usual killing it. Tozawa has no hope of doing anything approaching as good as the Unit Must Disband match in the WWE. This is doubly as impressive due to the fact that the outcome was never in doubt, what with Tozawa leaving and all that. Yet it still had all the incredible emotion and drama that a big Dragon Gate match can have. While Tozawa's individual performance was a stand out, Yoshino was equally as fired up, which isn't something I've really seen before being a recent fan. It's actually kind of terrifying to watch a man that angry go that fast. On the other side you had the always superlative Shingo, orchestrating this tragedy like the world's biggest, most dastardly villain. The man who conclusively puts Shingo away won't just be "made" but an all time Dragon Gate hero, A definite absolute, 100% must watch match. ****1/2 LINK (starts at 1:46:40)

- The main event should have overshadowed everything else on the show but nope, CIMA decided he was going to beat the piss out of some young boys. GAMMA legit started shooting on the poor dojo graduates, with some nasty headkicks and stomping. The real question is WHERE DID CIMA FIND FUTA NAKAMURA. Holy shit this guy is not only super jacked but is impossibly good looking and already really good. Like, I really want to hate the guy but he took his fucking lumps in this 6 man opener. Another near must watch match and probably my favorite sub 10 minute match of the year so far. ***3/4 LINK (starts at 20:14)

- Eita continues his strong year with a challenge against the Twin Gate champions of Jimmy Susumu and Jimmy Kagetora alongside Dragon Kid. Eita's ascension up the card is solidified as he main events the show, although everyone else in with him does have loads of experience and are important figures within DG. Eita gets beaten up a lot, fires up a few times and makes the hot tag to Dragon Kid. Susumu especially lays it in to poor Eita with some brutal Jumbo no Kachi lariats. Eita announces that his next Brave Gate defense will be against Flamita which is guaranteed to be 100% LIT JOHN.
Highly recommended **** LINK. (starts at 1:58:40)

- Shoutout to the #RollUpCrew
UdH1Xi4.gif

- While Dragon Gate is on fire, AJPW quietly builds to a Sumo Hall show everybody laughed at when it was announced. The AJPW shows don't have as much must watch material on them as DG, in fact I'd wager nothing on the shows are particularly spectacular, it is interesting to just sit down and watch a show. AJPW has turned into a super indie of sorts, where competitors from BJW, DDT, W-1 and smaller regional promotions like Heat-up and K-Dojo all show up. The Sumo Hall card is some sort of ultimate Japanese indie sleaze fest featuring matches with teams like TAJIRI, Chavo Guerrero Sr., Ultimo Dragon & Dory Funk Jr.

- The show itself probably won't win any awards - it seems to be designed to fill the building rather than produce incredible matches. Sadly, SUWAMA remains a broken down mess who can barely move and I will be very very disappointed if he takes the title off Kento Miyahara who has carried the title with a dignity and presence that speaks to AJPW's hallowed past rather than their difficult present. Considering AJPW was drawing sub 300 people to Koruaken for a Jrs. tourney at the start of the year and Miyahara's title win being in the midst of those doldrums, he deserves a lot of credit for what he has done with the belt. Alas now he is all sound and fury, bouncing to and fro while SUWAMA stands there, like Andre at his most immobile. And those in the know say SUWAMA is probably taking the belt back. Don't do it Jun. Don't give into the dark side. LINK

- The PROGRESS show is already much more enjoyable than what Brixton ended up being. Kay Lee Ray and Kimber Lee put on a hell of a showcase, with a hard hitting intense affair. The no.1 contenders 4 way worked itself out very well and birthed a new, divisive, chant. Sad that they gave Strickland so much on his debut and now he's gone and fucked it up for both PROGRESS and WXW. I had to switch off halfway through the Origin/FSU/South Pacific Power Trip tag as it was getting late but Dave Mastiff with a beer helmet will never be matched in the history of our sport. Without Cruz and Gibson the Origin do threaten to come off like midcard comedy heels rather than the rampaging main event act they have been. Still can't wait to go back and watch the full show. LINK

- The PROGRESS show is already much more enjoyable than what Brixton ended up being. Kay Lee Ray and Kimber Lee put on a hell of a showcase, with a hard hitting intense affair. The no.1 contenders 4 way worked itself out very well and birthed a new, divisive, chant. Sad that they gave Strickland so much on his debut and now he's gone and fucked it up for both PROGRESS and WXW. I had to switch off halfway through the Origin/FSU/South Pacific Power Trip tag as it was getting late but Dave Mastiff with a beer helmet will never be matched in the history of our sport. Without Cruz and Gibson the Origin do threaten to come off like midcard comedy heels rather than the rampaging main event act they have been. Still can't wait to go back and watch the full show. LINK

Do we know what the deal was with Strickland yet?

mzyOqAA.gif

Top Bottom