• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Hasney

Further weakening AJ as a character by making him appear to need that chinless fuck to beat Dean Ambrose.....

They've been booking heels like this for 12 years so noone should be even remotely shocked. If they're still watching WWE at this point, they must like it. At least this one is entertaining.

They've been booking heels like this for 12 years so noone should be even remotely shocked. If they're still watching WWE at this point, they must like it. At least this one is entertaining.

I'm shocked they still haven't learnt how to book properly. Just gotta keep telling myself it'll all be over soon.

Hasney

The EA Sports Mantra

"Fuck you, you'll still buy it"

Also:

logo.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could see Ellsworth turning to help AJ retain then AJ kicking him out and sending him packing the next show

Bonus points if Ellsworth comes out in a furry coat and tells the fans to SHAAADAAAAAAP

I honestly don't know why I even keep up with WWE anymore, it's just so fucking bad. Maybe I hold out some faint hope it will get better but it never does, maybe it's just habit. I draw the line at actually watching the weekly shows though, that's just masochistic.

These Global Wars cards are looking stacked, shame Big Mike can't make it over but Yuji Nagata is a fantastic replacement.

V3gK62M.gif
DrwuhBt.gif
Wish they'd come up North sometime :(

klonere

Banned
Boots, while you are around, where would I have to start to see the full UWF vs NJPW feud? Is most of it up on NJPWWorld or is it spotty?

I'm finding myself genuinely intrigued as to where Orton's headed following his disgusting big red betrayal, the power of smackdown booking!

I've come around on Kane thanks to my good friend, Sweeney T-*rolls him up*

THANKS TO MY GOOD FRIEND NOCTURNOWL

We got long term booking on our side, that Beef and Owl connection.

Boots, while you are around, where would I have to start to see the full UWF vs NJPW feud? Is most of it up on NJPWWorld or is it spotty?

UWF or UWFi? The original UWF vs NJPW feud is a little harder to find, but there's a few matches on NJPW World, like the 5 vs 5 elimination; http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00065_1_1 or the 5 vs 5 gauntlet; http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00066_1 both definitely recommended, fantastic matches.

For other matches, look for anything involving Maeda, Fujiwara or Takada from '84 ~ '86, by 1987 UWF had already gone tits-up and most of the roster had returned to NJPW. The second feud, NJPW vs UWFi, didn't go on for as long and is generally easier to find. Starts with the NJPW vs UWFi Tokyo Dome show from September 1995; http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=3125&page=2 which I believe is on NJPW World in full. Then there's the 1996 January 4th show and the Battle Formation in Tokyo Dome show from a few months later; http://njpwworld.com/search/tag/champ_166 and that's it.

UWFi had to give Choshu full creative control for the feud to go ahead and, as a result, were pretty badly buried, so the whole thing didn't last very long. While the original UWF collapsed because of Maeda's ego, UWFi collapsed because they ran a terrible business. They also weren't treated well by NJPW and Choshu as Takada had enlisted Lou Thesz to help promote UWFi as "real wrestling" and deride New Japan for being fake, which (unsurprisingly) didn't sit well with NJPW. Also, Choshu hated Takada for leaving New Japan in the first place and despised anything UWF-related for the association with Maeda, as Choshu had his eye socket broken by Maeda being a petty little bitch and shooting on him.

klonere

Banned
UWF or UWFi? The original UWF vs NJPW feud is a little harder to find, but there's a few matches on NJPW World, like the 5 vs 5 elimination; http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00065_1_1 or the 5 vs 5 gauntlet; http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00066_1 both definitely recommended, fantastic matches.

For other matches, look for anything involving Maeda, Fujiwara or Takada from '84 ~ '86, by 1987 UWF had already gone tits-up and most of the roster had returned to NJPW. The second feud, NJPW vs UWFi, didn't go on for as long and is generally easier to find. Starts with the NJPW vs UWFi Tokyo Dome show from September 1995; http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=3125&page=2 which I believe is on NJPW World in full. Then there's the 1996 January 4th show and the Battle Formation in Tokyo Dome show from a few months later; http://njpwworld.com/search/tag/champ_166 and that's it.

UWFi had to give Choshu full creative control for the feud to go ahead and, as a result, were pretty badly buried, so the whole thing didn't last very long. While the original UWF collapsed because of Maeda's ego, UWFi collapsed because they ran a terrible business. They also weren't treated well by NJPW and Choshu as Takada had enlisted Lou Thesz to help promote UWFi as "real wrestling" and deride New Japan for being fake, which (unsurprisingly) didn't sit well with NJPW. Also, Choshu hated Takada for leaving New Japan in the first place and despised anything UWF-related for the association with Maeda, as Choshu had his eye socket broken by Maeda being a petty little bitch and shooting on him.

Yeah I was talking about the second one. but the other links are fantastic, thanks so much. I restarted my AJPW 93 watching but there was a big section on the second UWFI feud on Between The Sheets a few weeks ago and I really wanted to watch some of it, sounds amazing.

Speaking of Maeda

he was involved in one of the most surreal moments in wrestling history during a match with André the Giant; neither man could agree to losing the match, and Maeda proceeded to shoot kick André's legs and then back off, while the giant repeatedly blocked Maeda's attacks and threw him out of the ring. After 30 minutes of this, André voluntarily laid down to be pinned (in spite of being assured that Maeda would lose the match), but Akira refused to do so. Inoki eventually came to the ring and demanded the match to end, much to the bewilderment of the audience.

Insanity.

Anyone remember that crazy 5 Star Show from January run by the shitty videogame? They're running again this January in Dundee with 5 Star Champion: John Morrison
'The Big Guy' Ryback
Drew Galloway
Joe Coffey
Jimmy Havoc
PJ Black
Carlito
Jay Lethal
Global Heavyweight Champion: Nick Aldis

I was convinced we'd never hear of this lot again. they at least gave us this wonderful #squadgoals photo

0uWbLeDl.png

klonere

Banned
Maeda also shot on Sayama in the original UWF. Kicked him in the nuts, probably because he knew Sayama would have fucking wrecked him in a stand-up fight.

Christ what a fucking dick.

Anyone remember that crazy 5 Star Show from January run by the shitty videogame? They're running again this January in Dundee with 5 Star Champion: John Morrison
'The Big Guy' Ryback
Drew Galloway
Joe Coffey
Jimmy Havoc
PJ Black
Carlito
Jay Lethal
Global Heavyweight Champion: Nick Aldis

I was convinced we'd never hear of this lot again. they at least gave us this wonderful #squadgoals photo

GWF and 5-Star Wrestling, together in the quest to lose as much money as possible.

Would absolutely love to see Riddle in RevPro - he would be such a perfect fit for NJPW too
as long as he doesn't try and smoke up in Japan
, could see him being a big hit with the audience over there.

klonere

Banned
Would absolutely love to see Riddle in RevPro - he would be such a perfect fit for NJPW too
as long as he doesn't try and smoke up in Japan
, could see him being a big hit with the audience over there.

riddle liked my tweet to quildan about booking that

if that happens, i run wrassle twitter now

I can't see WWE passing up on Riddle (if they do then my god) which would make me think he'd shy away from any sort of interaction with NJPW. Of course I'd much prefer him to be in NJPW and I think he could hit AJ/Kenny levels in a few years, provided he can keep off the green on tour as Boots said.

Lothar

Banned
I was watching Beyond the Mat for the first time since 1999. Why the hell would Foley have his kids in the front row for Royal Rumble 1999? The idiot knew what was going to happen.

What a sad ending. "He didn't make it, he only stayed retired for 3 months so his family his back to being miserable, this guy is crazy, this guy never talked to his daughter again, this guy is paralyzed" The creator wanted you to believe he's a big fan of wrestling. That didn't come out at all.

Seeing Vince's reaction to coming up with the idea of Puke makes me have complete understanding of all the decisions made in WWE today. "You got Animal, you got Hawk, now we got Puke!" "After you're regurgitated on your opponents..." "Puke fits the WWF Attitude."

I was watching Beyond the Mat for the first time since 1999. Why the hell would Foley have his kids in the front row for Royal Rumble 1999? The idiot knew what was going to happen.

Coz it's a work.

His son is now a writer for WWE. His daughter is training to be a wrestler but after watching her on Holy Foley I think she'll be god awful.

Updated BOLA 2016 rankings:
1. Ricochet vs. Jeff Cobb
2. Pentagon Jr. vs. Marty Scurll
3. John Hennigan vs. Matt Sydal

I had forgotten how tiring PWG shows are to watch on tape because every match is booked in the main event finisher/kick out style. Watching one or two matches a night is the way to go if you're not there in person.

Also, this has to be the year of tournaments. The G1 was great. King of Gate was great. BJW's Ikkitousen Strong Climb was great. BOLA looks to be as good as usual. AJPW's Champion Carnival had some great highlights. The Cruiserweight Classic was great, and this year's Dusty Classic has been pretty good. The weakest tournament might have been the Super J, oddly enough.

Also, this has to be the year of tournaments. The G1 was great. King of Gate was great. BJW's Ikkitousen Strong Climb was great. BOLA looks to be as good as usual. AJPW's Champion Carnival had some great highlights. The Cruiserweight Classic was great, and this year's Dusty Classic has been pretty good.

Also great, the PROGRESS SSS16, the Scenic City Invitational, AAW's Jeff Lynam Memorial and the wXw Tag League. 2016 has been a pretty amazing year.

Top Bottom