• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

The fuck was Angle thinking wearing that shit at The Slam '02?

A clue:
oV4VU3.gif

Zach

So sometimes my #Lapsed brother sends me random old matches, right? Well he just sent me some Mid-South match from here in the great state of Oklahoma -- young, gassed-up Rick Steiner vs. Koko B. Ware with Jim Ross doing play-by-play. Notable: whoever the color commentator is said Koko's hotdogging was "a little bit of that blue-eyed soul".

Yup.

gun_haver

Every so often I start to get annoyed with Jack's high pitch laughter at jokes JP makes which actually don't deserve it and I think, maybe these lapsed guys aren't the be-

And then something hilarious comes along and I really can't resist. Yeah, they are up their own ass, and yeah, they exaggerate things on purpose to make it seem like they really love themselves when they don't, which is a little annoying in its own way, but you can't deny these guys sometimes hit on some really funny runs in these deep dives on PPVs.

Also, I'd be kidding myself if I said like, 50 or 60 hours into listening to the podcast, 'nah i don't like it.'. Of course I do. I turn off podcasts I don't like after 15 minutes.

When will Emma come back to save Raw's women's division? If she doesn't do a run in at HIAC, I give up.
I agree with this, too bad they already used the "banned from ring side" stip with Ric.
I'll bet Asuka will take an amazing O-Face on her way out of NXT to the main roster.

I just hope the head guy in NXT and Haitch don't try to be clever or over think it and absolutely no false finish off the damn O-Face/Total Eclipse or whatever it's being called now. Just let Ember be the one who "breaks" Asuka then send her to Smackdown and tone down her unstoppable shtick by about 50% so she at least appears beatable.

gun_haver

They miss as often as they hit. But half of a 36-hour podcast is a lot of quality content!

I agree. I really do enjoy so much of it. Like, they've gotten me interested in pre-96 wrestling and that's a tall order as you would probably guess, Zach.

The Summerslam 92 and surrounding Bulldog and Diana Hart saga. What a tale.

Zach

I agree. I really do enjoy so much of it. Like, they've gotten me interested in pre-96 wrestling and that's a tall order as you would probably guess, Zach.

The Summerslam 92 and surrounding Bulldog and Diana Hart saga. What a tale.

I've just started that episode. You should watch the event if you haven't already.

gun_haver

I've just started that episode. You should watch the event if you haven't already.

I watched the Bret v Bulldog match and it was a slobberknocker. I didn't watch the rest of the show yet though - I might, having the background on it, it's interesting to me.

It has opened my eyes a little though. I thought of wrestling pre-96 to be:

- Devoid of storylines
- Devoid of workrate (i identify pre-96 with either hogan or flair, two guys who are unastounding in the ring, or with out of shape brutes with hairy chests I have trouble even looking at for 20 minutes)

But that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I'll start digging into some old fashioned Macho Man stuff, and also - Jake the Snake. My dad always loved him when I was a kid but I didn't really know who he was, and I hear so much good about him on the mic and as a heel that I think I should do myself a favour and get to know Jake The Snake a bit better.

Zach

You should check out Steamboat/Austin and Vader/Cactus and Sting/Cactus and Vader/Sting and Sting/Rude from the early '90s. Yeeeaaah!

The Diana Hart excerpts in that TLF are just insane. It's more ridiculous than you can possibly imagine.

I remember some of the stories in her book from excerpts I saw years ago, like the one about drugging and anal rape (an idea given by Dynamite to Davey or something wasn't it?) and fucked up shit like that but I think it got pulled from people threatening to sue.

Bros been super busy this week with a new job whats the latest with that gahbage tna?

Mystery backer in bank rolling the PPV.

Please check back later.

TNA will outlive us all.

TNA is literally being funded on a show by show basis now. Jeez. I think they can go lower while still existing as a company.

Cosmozone

Just let Ember be the one who "breaks" Asuka then send her to Smackdown and tone down her unstoppable shtick by about 50% so she at least appears beatable.
Nope. Let her wipe the floor with everybody she hasn't fought yet, then retire her unbeaten and switch her to a manager/trainer role. Alternatively, heel turn with stable, reign of terror and everything until the top face can finally dethrone her at WM and get super over. I don't want to have such a high workrate for her anymore, considering her age. On the other hand, AJ is four years older than her and can still go...

But I actually think Ember Moon will defeat her. It's what you expect and most likely will get. Not a big deal. Having Asuka in the main roster is a great thing in itself already. Let's just hope she doesn't get a shitty RAWesque treatment with cliche-pandering or something (shudder).

Reddit You Got Worked of the day:
A couple hours ago, I was in the break room at work during lunch hour and finished up my shift, but thought I'd eat my food there before heading home.
I was having kind of a shitty week already so I wasn't in the mood for small talk or anything. Just wanted to eat my food and head out for an hour long commute back home (traffic on the 405 is killer).
I'm watching some wrestling clips on youtube off my laptop to kill the time while I eat and one of my coworkers comes in, hovers over me and says "you know that whole thing is fake right?"
I don't know what exactly made me snap but I looked up at the guy and pretty much yelled "No, I didn't know this shit was fake Gregg! You mean to tell me a guy who dresses up in a vest and jeans can actually get away with putting cement in his bosses car? You do know Tom Hardy wasn't strapped to a fucking car in the goddamn desert for 2 hours right? What about that shit Gregg?!"
At that point, some people were peeking into the break room to see what was going on but by then, I grabbed my stuff and headed out and drove off in a huff. Sitting here hours later, I don't know why particularly his comment made me go off like that.
My phone's been ringing off the hook since I got home. I don't really care. Of the shitty things that happened this year, the only bright spot in my life has been wrestling. Probably got tired of hearing it get shitted on. Peace.

Safe to say Sweeney, I'm disappointed that story didn't end with a finishing move of sorts.

The Unanswered Call is a classic finisher. See the years TNA has went with ignoring late paychecks, or the time Heyman acted like his phone blended in with background music on the set of Rollerball while ECW talent on the other side of the country found out he was broke and the company was done

All I ask is that they don't drag the Ember Moon vs Asuka fight out until 'Mania weekend because I don't wanna see Asuka have filler feuds with Liv Morgan or Billie Kay for the next five or six months.

RBH

maxresdefault.jpg

This Peyton Royce/Billie Kay tag-team is something I can get behind

Peyton impressed the hell out of me when I saw her against Carmella at an NXT house show in Atlanta over the summer

somedevil

All I ask is that they don't drag the Ember Moon vs Asuka fight out until 'Mania weekend because I don't wanna see Asuka have filler feuds with Liv Morgan or Billie Kay for the next five or six months.

Its to early for that match. Thats a wrestlemania match with their history. If I had a guess its going to be a 3 way with her against team Australia.

Cause if I had to tier the current NXT women in wrestling skill it would be like this:

Asuka

Nikki Storm, Ember Moon

Peyton Royce and Billie Kay

Liv Morgan, Daria, Mandy Rose and Aliyah

Cosmozone

That fallout video with Royce, Kay and Morgan could be a nice starting point of an underdog story with Liv Morgan. Hope they don't screw it.

Heroman

Banned
I gotta check out this ROH show tonight or tomorrow , I head some amazing things about it especially the main event

ReiGun

That fallout video with Royce, Kay and Morgan could be a nice starting point of an underdog story with Liv Morgan. Hope they don't screw it.

I hope they change up her gimmick. We've already got a hip hop Jersey girl in Carmella, and in both cases, it's just lame.

ReiGun

Only bit I've seen of Total Divas is a segment where Natalya left Stephanie like 40 voicemails complaining and threatening to quit over not being Divas Champion. Stephanie promised her that she'd win it again one day.

That was in 2013. Nattie hasn't been champion since 2010.

giphy.gif

Only bit I've seen of Total Divas is a segment where Natalya left Stephanie like 40 voicemails complaining and threatening to quit over not being Divas Champion. Stephanie promised her that she'd win it again one day.

That was in 2013. Nattie hasn't been champion since 2010.

giphy.gif
Best part was when she left the messages clearly intended for Tyson Kidd.

Natalya is awful on the show but when she has a good moment, holy fuck, is it amazing.

RBH

WWE Royal Rumble 2017 to be held at the AlamoDome in San Antonio, 20 years after the Rumble was held in the same building:

WWE announced that the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, will host Royal Rumble 2017 on Sunday, January 29, 2017. This marks the return of Royal Rumble to the Alamodome for the first time since 1997.

Royal Rumble is one of WWE’s biggest pay-per-views of the year and officially kicks off The Road to WrestleMania. The event will be highlighted by a 30-man over-the-top-rope Royal Rumble Match featuring WWE Superstars from both Raw and SmackDown LIVE, where the winner will receive a title opportunity to headline WrestleMania 33 in Orlando, Florida on April 2, 2017.

Tickets for Royal Rumble 2017 will be available starting Friday, October 14, at 11 a.m. ET/10 a.m. CT through all Ticketmaster outlets, www.ticketmaster.com or by calling 1-800-745-3000. All tickets are subject to service charges and facility fees.

The Alamodome previously hosted the 1997 Royal Rumble, where more than 60,000 fans witnessed WWE Hall of Famer “Stone Cold” Steve Austin win the Royal Rumble Match and WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels win the WWE Championship

9788_original.jpg

ROH's WTF year continues: Taeler Hendrix just got concussed at the TV taping after an unprotected chairshot

Unprotected chairshots. In "major" promotions.

In 2016.

somedevil

ROH's WTF year continues: Taeler Hendrix just got concussed at the TV taping after an unprotected chairshot

Unprotected chairshots. In "major" promotions.

In 2016.

According to someone at the show she took it on the back of the head. Plus they did a tag match where after the match they did some chairshots to the head to War machine.

Top Bottom