• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

RBH

I'm not sure why people have fond memories of him honestly, he was Brock with no suplexes.

Legitimately asking, did you watch WCW in 1998?

He had an amazing aura to him not only in terms of his presence, but the way that he delivered his moves. Was he the greatest wrestler? Hell no. But that's missing the point of why he was so fun to watch. Just seeing the crowd's reaction to him as he was progressing up the card throughout 1998 was half the fun:

spear.gif

spearr.gif

crowdd.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-Sd8nw8c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf_VIGKnRCs#t=3m40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aurEwf_UJQo#t=3m37s

I was WWF ride or die in the late 90's and even I knew about Goldberg. One of my friends kept trying to get me to watch WCW, and I kept giving him the stiffarm each time.

Adree

He had an amazing aura to him not only in terms of his presence, but the way that he delivered his moves. Was he the greatest wrestler? Hell no. But that's missing the point of why he was so fun to watch. Just seeing the crowd's reaction to him as he was progressing up the card throughout 1998 was half the fun:

spear.gif

spearr.gif

crowdd.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-Sd8nw8c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf_VIGKnRCs#t=3m40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aurEwf_UJQo#t=3m37s

I loved WCW in 98, at least the first hour of each Nitro. Never had any patience for Hogan or Goldberg. I will admit to liking Hall and Nash though, I was a confused teen.

I really hope No Mercy delivers. Especially Miz vs Ziggler, Alexa vs Becky and the triple-threat. I feel like it can. Ziggler vs Miz just needs Miz winning for the PPV to be gold.

Lothar

Banned

I loved the cruiserweights in 98 and enjoyed seeing them bust their asses to entertain me each night. Then I saw this guy that could just do two moves get all the spotlight and become popular. It annoyed me to no end. Then I saw this fucking asshole end of the career of one of my favorite wrestlers, Bret Hart, someone who was actually good. How could anyone like him?

Raw64life

I can only assume that they managed to convince Goldberg that since he beat Brock last time, jobbing to him would just make them even and not make him look weak.

Yes, I know Goldberg hasn't wrestled in 15 years. But he probably still thinks the same way about his character.

DJKhaled

I can only assume that they managed to convince Goldberg that since he beat Brock last time, jobbing to him would just make them even and not make him look weak.

Yes, I know Goldberg hasn't wrestled in 15 years. But he probably still thinks the same way about his character.

I doubt he cares

Menome

I really like Sting's cultural-appropriation jacket and WM31 entrance. Having him come out in full Crow Sting attire would have just looked completely out-of-date.

I may have to upgrade my Time Warner account since now they have the axs tv channel. They're showing vintage New Japan Wrestling on it

Adree

Mafia 3 is a good time if you wanted a new Godfather 1/2 game. Feels very similar to how you'd take over territory in those games.

Mafia 3 is a good time if you wanted a new Godfather 1/2 game. Feels very similar to how you'd take over territory in those games.
Looking forward to picking it up around Christmas. Do I need to know anything from the previous two to play the game?

Adree

Looking forward to picking it up around Christmas. Do I need to know anything from the previous two to play the game?

No, it's an entirely new story. Different developers entirely even although it does share the sense of strong narrative the previous two had.

Meltz talking about 0$/5$/10$/15$ tiers to the network on WOR.

0 : Five hours on the network archives per month, and unlimited access to the stream, but the stream will go blank whenever live ppv, cruiserweight classic (new weekly show that's planned) or NXT comes on. Butt-ton of commercials.

5 : unlimited archive use, unlimited stream, which goes blank whenever the cruiserweight classic is on. You for some bizarre reason get the big 4 ppv's (bryan noted it would make more sense to get the b-tier ppv's). This would ONLY work on tablets and phones.

....Can't wait for two days later someone to spoof the wwf app on a computer. :/

10 : current network stuff + new cruiserweight classic show + NXT live. The Meltz isn't sure if NXT is going live ever week or if it's a stream of the current tapings.

15 : indy wrestling content. Trying to get TNA obviously, plus talking to sinclair about ROH, as well as Evolve and talking to UK promotions like Progress. Some sort of live chats with wwf wrestlers too, and you get to vote in the Hall of Fame. Time to get Rude in!

wwf selling themselves cheaply again

Menome

Still no tier with not quite instant catch-up for RAW and Smackdown though, which is what would get me to pay extra.

I don't think that'll ever happen, it's way too complex with all the different worldwide tv deals.

And their big cash cow, the USA network definitely wouldn't want the catchup to air anywhere near the live shows as it's their biggest show and they're close to only being watched by the hardcore - if any of that leaks off because they can watch it on the network the next day, they're screwed.

Jamie OD

0 : Five hours on the network archives per month, and unlimited access to the stream, but the stream will go blank whenever live ppv, cruiserweight classic (new weekly show that's planned) or NXT comes on. Butt-ton of commercials.

5 : unlimited archive use, unlimited stream, which goes blank whenever the cruiserweight classic is on. You for some bizarre reason get the big 4 ppv's (bryan noted it would make more sense to get the b-tier ppv's). This would ONLY work on tablets and phones.

....Can't wait for two days later someone to spoof the wwf app on a computer. :/

10 : current network stuff + new cruiserweight classic show + NXT live. The Meltz isn't sure if NXT is going live ever week or if it's a stream of the current tapings.

15 : indy wrestling content. Trying to get TNA obviously, plus talking to sinclair about ROH, as well as Evolve and talking to UK promotions like Progress. Some sort of live chats with wwf wrestlers too, and you get to vote in the Hall of Fame. Time to get Rude in!

I assume the big 4 are still Rumble, Mania, Summerslam and Survivor Series? I would substitute Survivor Series with Money In The Bank but I guess they want their Big 4 to be few and far between so you can go cheap for Rumble+Mania season but still miss out on a lot after that.

$15 for the ROH and/or TNA additions does sound tempting. I have a Progress subscription and buy Evolve iPPVs through WWN so I prefer giving them money for that through their own services. HOF vote made me laugh.

Yeah, the classic big 4. They have devalued survivor series a ton recently by just having a standard ppv and throwing one poorly devloped 5 on 5 match for apperances most years.

Hopefully the brand split (and the potential goldberg/lesnar match) will help make it meaningful again, but they'll probably just get lazy and make a raw vs sd 5 on 5 match and call it a day.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's amazing how many people will pay to watch indie wrestling as long as the money goes to their tsundere senpai WWE

In chart form courtesy of Wreddit

gWHGQPQ.jpg

Looking at these tiers more closely they are 100% designed around up selling. Everyone is going to buy the 14.99 plan just to avoid commercials.

I wonder if this is their way of trying to test the waters for having RAW & Smackdown stream live.

Top Bottom