• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Let's be honest here: Could TNA - managed correctly - compete with WWE?

Yes

but

that assumes not only good management, but sizeable capital, good tv (need to get back on spike) and about five years to build up to a point where people see them as credible - getting back on the road, paying people on time, wrestlers confident that a contract means something, fans coming out of house shows happy.

possible but doesn't seem that likely

Recall

Let's be honest here: Could TNA - managed correctly - compete with WWE?

No.

It's not about in ring match quality or consistently high end booking.

WWF made its name not in the back of 5 star classics but big name appeal and mainstream acceptance. Oh and lots of fucking money with someone in charge who wouldn't accept no as an answer.

Marvel

could never
Mandy Rose has the potential to be huge in a couple of years from now

tumblr_oe8ocv3R2S1u1ljrzo1_500.gif
She has... IT.

gun_haver

WWE is at like it's weakest point I can see it happening.

Are they though? TV ratings are down, as is the consistent trend since the year 2001, but right now all I see is them growing. They've split up their touring, they have more PPVs and broadcast specials, lots of bespoke series on the network, they are constantly bringing in big names from the indies, and creatively a lot is going on. Sure Raw sucks but it's like 20% of what they put out on a weekly basis now.

I haven't heard anything about WWE being down financially, only the TV ratings, and while that's an important indicator, it probably accounts for only a small portion of their income these days.

Are they though? TV ratings are down, as is the consistent trend since the year 2001, but right now all I see is them growing. They've split up their touring, they have more PPVs and broadcast specials, lots of bespoke series on the network, they are constantly bringing in big names from the indies, and creatively a lot is going on. Sure Raw sucks but it's like 20% of what they put out on a weekly basis now.

I haven't heard anything about WWE being down financially, only the TV ratings, and while that's an important indicator, it probably accounts for only a small portion of their income these days.

TV is the most important indicator. It's their key driver of growth, and a huge part of their income - they get over $160M from tv per year. If they don't have tv, there's far less new network subscribers.

Heroman

Banned

Just cause is more content doesn't mean they growing. Thier live attendance down across the board, before raw and ppv use to sell out but they don't. Backlash and Clash did like 7k. And TV is super important cause when their TV deal is up they will have to get a new one and with these ratings they probably won't get the deal they got before. Also TV is like 40 percent of there revenue.

Recall

This week's Squared Circle Gazette Radio podcast is:

Rebooking The WWF In 1993

First time listening so my two main complaints are:

The lead guy talks too fucking fast. If they have a time limit on the podcast then manage the time better because listening to someone talk at 100mph at length isn't fun.

The audio is ok. There are times where it is amateur hour and suddenly it's top notch then it flip flops during the podcast.

I'm not sure I need another wrestling podcast but I may give another episode a listen and see how that fares before casting total judgement.

Acosta

If anyone wants something to watch tonight,

Heel Stone Cold Steve Austin in 1996. The lead up to his match vs Bret at Survivor Series 96. Uploaded by me.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vdx9l_buildup-to-austin-vs-bret-at-survivor-series-96_tv

You may have seen some of it, but maybe not all of it in the same place.

Included:
Austin challenging Bret "If you put the letter S in front of Hitman, you have my exact opinion of Bret Hart"
Austin on commentary saying he'll go to Calgary and beat up his old man if he doesn't get an answer
Austin breaking Brian Pillman's ankle because Pillman called Bret "the best there is"
Austin stopping an ambulance from taking Pillman to the hospital
Austin breaks into Pillman's house and Pillman pulls out a gun on him
Austin telling Vince to stop pretending Monsoon was the boss
Austin beating up the production crew because they cut him off and then getting arrested for it
The classic "Pink tights? What the hell is that all about, Bret?" promos.

Attitude Era before the Attitude Era. All in 26 minutes.

Thanks for this, Austin is really the best there is.

Yes

but

that assumes not only good management, but sizeable capital, good tv (need to get back on spike) and about five years to build up to a point where people see them as credible - getting back on the road, paying people on time, wrestlers confident that a contract means something, fans coming out of house shows happy.

possible but doesn't seem that likely

I thought Panda Energy was loaded. Then, all of a sudden, TNA's finances are being handled by the Harris Bros.

Sara Lee (female winner of Tough enough) apparently just got released.

Summer Rae
angry-john-cena.gif

They should bring back her manipulative side from NXT given she's the Kayfabe reason for the Boss side of Sasha Banks and also why Charlotte first turned heel.

But then again that would require giving her a story-line.

Mengetsu

Sara Lee — ‘Tough Enough’ Winner RELEASED From WWE Contract
Tough Enough Season 6 winner Sara Lee has been released from her WWE contract.

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned Sara received the news on Friday, but there’s no word at this point on why she was cut from the company.

Lee beat out 7 other women last year to earn a $250,000 contract. She debuted at an NXT live event in March, but hasn’t been used much since.

Runner-up Mandy Rose, who the trainers clearly wanted to win, was instantly signed to a deal and given a role on Total Divas. She’s since made multiple appearances on NXT programming.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/sara-lee-tough-enough-winner-released-wwe/#.V_FhL48rLIW

KingBroly

Banned
If anyone wants something to watch tonight,

Heel Stone Cold Steve Austin in 1996. The lead up to his match vs Bret at Survivor Series 96. Uploaded by me.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vdx9l_buildup-to-austin-vs-bret-at-survivor-series-96_tv

You may have seen some of it, but maybe not all of it in the same place.

Included:
Austin challenging Bret "If you put the letter S in front of Hitman, you have my exact opinion of Bret Hart"
Austin on commentary saying he'll go to Calgary and beat up his old man if he doesn't get an answer
Austin breaking Brian Pillman's ankle because Pillman called Bret "the best there is"
Austin stopping an ambulance from taking Pillman to the hospital
Austin breaks into Pillman's house and Pillman pulls out a gun on him
Austin telling Vince to stop pretending Monsoon was the boss
Austin beating up the production crew because they cut him off and then getting arrested for it
The classic "Pink tights? What the hell is that all about, Bret?" promos.

Attitude Era before the Attitude Era. All in 26 minutes.

I still like that match over the WM13 match. It FELT like a big deal, maybe even bigger than the Iron Man Match at Wrestlemania (which, ironically, I read some internet rumors at the time saying it'd happen that I didn't believe).

I also thought it was interesting that Bret's trunks had some orange in them for that match.

I still like that match over the WM13 match. It FELT like a big deal, maybe even bigger than the Iron Man Match at Wrestlemania (which, ironically, I read some internet rumors at the time saying it'd happen that I didn't believe).

I also thought it was interesting that Bret's trunks had some orange in them for that match.

The SS match is my favourite too. Doesn't hurt that I'd never seen that finish before. Still one of the coolest match finishes ever - did nothing to hurt stone cold whatsoever, while putting over bret as the consummate pro.

--edit

For anyone who doesn't have the network, wwf have uploaded the whole match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_BFtn-SHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhs-pOpBwcU

watch it if you haven't, it's a doozy

Menome

Well, at least she's not like Paige's mother then. Shame to see her go before we got to see her go in the ring.

As for Mandy Rose, I don't care what her technical ability is. Tough Enough showed that she's a complete bully and not the kind of person I want to give any kind of support to.

klonere

Banned
Well, at least she's not like Paige's mother then. Shame to see her go before we got to see her go in the ring.

As for Mandy Rose, I don't care what her technical ability is. Tough Enough showed that she's a complete bully and not the kind of person I want to give any kind of support to.

dont get worked by the reality tv wrestling show

hqdefault.jpg

Don't watch Total Divas unless you wanna see her as Eva Marie's sidekick who prefers selfies over training.

The women at WWE's invite-only tryouts:

Ariel Monroe (one of Nia Jax'a jobbers)
Constance Ezugha (track & field athlete from Arizona State)
Ella Anne Kociuba (massage therapist and endurance athlete)
Heidi Lovelace (6 year indie vet, Chikara Young Lion's Cup winner and current SHIMMER tag champ)
Jayme Jameson (7 year vet, current SHINE tag champ)
Jessica James (10 year vet, current Inspire XX Champ)
Julie Real (no fucking clue)
Kailey Dawn (Team 3D trainee, aka Kailey Farmer)
Kimber Lee (5 year vet, current JAPW Women's Champion, former Chikara Grand Champion, former SHIMMER tag champ, former SHINE former champ)
Lauren Pappas (fitness athlete)
Nicole Savoy (5 year vet, current Heart of SHIMMER Champ)
Samara (no clue)
Shayna Basler (former UFC fighter, current AIW Women's Champ)
Su Yung (9 year vet)

That's some of the top tier of indie women wrestlers, some intriguing talent, and some raw recruits. They've employed Andrea and Santana in NXT shots before, and they have Nikki Storm in training, so they're replenishing their stock of women wrestlers. Queens of Combat, WSU, SHINE, and SHIMMER could probably survive losing Savoy, Lee, Lovelace, James, and Jameson, but companies that tried to get into women's wrestling, like AIW, ROH, Inspire, or JAPW, will have a hard to field decent rosters. And with Gargano entrenched in WWE now, Candace Le Rae probably isn't far behind, so that's another talent leaving the NA women's wrestling scene.

Top Bottom