• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| I'm seein' double here...

Zach

The "body jewelry" Warrior was referring to was a colostomy bag. That's a bag connected to your large intestine that collects waste before it leaves the healthy part of your colon. You uh, don't poop anymore, it just flows out into the bag and you replace it when needed.
Yeah, I understand that part. My sweet old grandmother has one. But then you rambled on and lost me.

Anth0ny

Soon

and naito is a son of gun

yessssssss

might stay up to watch, it falls on canadian thanksgiving

I haven’t seen Shingo look so tiny compared to his opponent since he faced Takeshi Morishima for the ROH Championship at Good Times, Great Memories.

Yeah, I understand that part. My sweet old grandmother has one. But then you rambled on and lost me.

Warrior said awful shit about a lot of people. When Heath Ledger died, he said his kids were better off (because Heath was in Brokeback Mountain, you see). He said he admired Heath because he took great effort to kill himself for the sake of his kids.

When Hurricane Katrina happened, he said it was good because it showed the world how dysfunctional the people of New Orleans were and a lot of racist tropes about poor people with good shoes and cell phones and they're obviously not starving and stuff you've probably heard a million times.

He took a dump on MLK, Jr. for having a holiday because he only marched 40 miles on paved roads with security guards and JEEEEZUS I don't want to keep typing this shit fuck you for making me

Oersted

According to Showbuzz Daily, this week’s episode of WWE Smackdown Live brought in 2.323 million viewers, which is down from 2.542 million viewers last week. This week’s show, which was the ‘go-home’ show for Sunday’s WWE Hell In A Cell pay-per-view, was the ninth overall ranked show on the night, and the third overall ranked show in the 18-49 demographic.

gun_haver

I dunno if this is just the end of the natural phase of a wrestling watching period - it probably is, because when I was a kid I also watched for about 3 years from 1998-2001 - but man I can't find it in me to give a shit about anything WWE has done for about six months. I generally tune in for Brock matches but even then the only one I've really enjoyed in a good long while is the Samoa Joe one, and I think that was a one off just in terms of how it was done and the follow up promo. I'd watch another match between those two.

Otherwise though, as good as some of these guys are physically, I don't think there is anything they could do within the context of wrestling anymore that is going to keep my attention for more than a sporadic match here and there. Like if I heard AJ got to have a 30 minute 5 star match with Shinsuke or something, I'd watch it, but when it comes to everyone else - Seth, Dean, Roman, Braun, Miz, Cena, everyone - there's just nothing they could do. I've seen them at their best and worst and I know the score. It's over.

At a time like this people might suggest branching out into indies or NJPW but when it comes to wrestling I need production quality or it's just sad to me, or I need english language promos to get invested in the matches, etc. I think I'll just let this happen, it's been a huge timesink for the past three years. Not so much in the actual watching of it - I always blasted through a Raw or a PPV in 1 hour max - but in the reading about backstage happenings, reactions to what was going on, podcasts etc. The business of it was always what I spent most of my time on, but apparently you do need to give a vague crap about the shows for that to survive. Or maybe I've just seen everything interesting there is about it - I know the whole history from like 1985 on by now. There were some fun times but it's like I sobered up and the party isn't interesting anymore.

Anyone else in this position? It could also be the shows are especially bad this year, but I don't think that's it. They've always been bad with a bright spot in one storyline at a time every few months. I think there might just be a shelf-life on wrestling fandom for most people, and you get burned out. I'll probably be back again in another 15 years when everything's changed and figuring out what the hell is going on, who's good at this, who's bad at this, etc, is possible again.

Heroman

Banned
Njpw had some of the best production in the business. I do agree on the promos somewhat but there are way to get translation and it's not rocket surgery to find out what they are talking about.
Also there is so much great wrestling from all over the world that you can leave wwe easily.

Syder

Njpw had some of the best production in the business. I do agree on the promos somewhat.
Also there is so much great wrestling from all over the world that you can leave wwe easily.
I think the lack of promos is made up for with in-ring story telling and the larger than life characters.

NXT tidbit

Almas beat Roddy. So that's a nice win for him. Then Undisputed came out and offered Roddy a spot in the group. He didn't answer and they left.

I dunno if this is just the end of the natural phase of a wrestling watching period - it probably is, because when I was a kid I also watched for about 3 years from 1998-2001 - but man I can't find it in me to give a shit about anything WWE has done for about six months. I generally tune in for Brock matches but even then the only one I've really enjoyed in a good long while is the Samoa Joe one, and I think that was a one off just in terms of how it was done and the follow up promo. I'd watch another match between those two.

Otherwise though, as good as some of these guys are physically, I don't think there is anything they could do within the context of wrestling anymore that is going to keep my attention for more than a sporadic match here and there. Like if I heard AJ got to have a 30 minute 5 star match with Shinsuke or something, I'd watch it, but when it comes to everyone else - Seth, Dean, Roman, Braun, Miz, Cena, everyone - there's just nothing they could do. I've seen them at their best and worst and I know the score. It's over.

At a time like this people might suggest branching out into indies or NJPW but when it comes to wrestling I need production quality or it's just sad to me, or I need english language promos to get invested in the matches, etc. I think I'll just let this happen, it's been a huge timesink for the past three years. Not so much in the actual watching of it - I always blasted through a Raw or a PPV in 1 hour max - but in the reading about backstage happenings, reactions to what was going on, podcasts etc. There were some fun times but it's like I sobered up and the party isn't interesting anymore.

Anyone else in this position? It could also be the shows are especially bad this year, but I don't think that's it. They've always been bad with a bright spot in one storyline at a time every few months. I think there might just be a shelf-life on wrestling fandom for most people, and you get burned out. I'll probably be back again in another 15 years when everything's changed and figuring out what the hell is going on, who's good at this, who's bad at this, etc, is possible again.

Why not just watch NXT then? It's like WWE without the bad booking.

Draxal

NXT tidbit

Almas beat Roddy. So that's a nice win for him. Then Undisputed came out and offered Roddy a spot in the group. He didn't answer and they left.

Spoilers i guesss.

NGL, they need the numbers as right now it kinda seems silly that they're super heel group with the roster they have.

gun_haver

Well it's true, NXT has better matches and less frustrating squandering of wrestlers in service of a broad brand strategy which changes every 15 fucking minutes, but the same issues are there. I know who all the big indie wrestlers are and I either don't care about them or have seen what they've got to offer, and I've seen many of them come to WWE and proceed to be miused or boring as fuck including in NXT, and it doesn't excite me any more. I watched NXT regularly for about two years and saw call-up after call-up go on to a big nothing, so I know that the NXT matches are really as good as it is going to get for 99% of them. So like with the potential AJ vs Nakamura classic match that I might hear about, I might tune in if the women's title scene produces a particularly great match - but I've seen great NXT women's title matches already. How you gonna top the four horsewomen stuff? I don't think you can, those matches were great, and I saw them all. I feel like I've seen absolutely everything this current incarnation of WWE can do, all the good and bad, and there's no surprises left.

At a time like this people might suggest branching out into indies or NJPW but when it comes to wrestling I need production quality or it's just sad to me, or I need english language promos to get invested in the matches, etc. I think I'll just let this happen, it's been a huge timesink for the past three years. Not so much in the actual watching of it - I always blasted through a Raw or a PPV in 1 hour max - but in the reading about backstage happenings, reactions to what was going on, podcasts etc. The business of it was always what I spent most of my time on, but apparently you do need to give a vague crap about the shows for that to survive. Or maybe I've just seen everything interesting there is about it - I know the whole history from like 1985 on by now. There were some fun times but it's like I sobered up and the party isn't interesting anymore.

I'm in the same position pretty much. I don't know if I've outgrown it or what, but it's just not there for me anymore.

Well it's true, NXT has better matches and less frustrating squandering of wrestlers in service of a broad brand strategy which changes every 15 fucking minutes, but the same issues are there. I know who all the big indie wrestlers are and I either don't care about them or have seen what they've got to offer, and it doesn't excite me any more. I watched NXT regularly for about two years and saw call-up after call-up go on to a big nothing, so I know that the NXT matches are really as good as it is going to get for 99% of them. So like with the potential AJ vs Nakamura classic match that I might hear about, I might tune in if the women's title scene produces a particularly great match - but I've seen great NXT women's title matches already. How you gonna top the four horsewomen stuff? I don't think you can, those matches were great, and I saw them all. I feel like I've seen absolutely everything this current incarnation of WWE can do, all the good and bad, and there's no surprises left.

Idk. That sounds like a cynical way to watch, to me. If you're of the mindset that nothing will impress you or excite you because the past has already excited you, or the unknown future dread impacts your present enjoyment, seems like a poor state of mind to be in. That's not to disparage you by any means, but you might just be at a mindset past a point of no return.

Draxal

Well it's true, NXT has better matches and less frustrating squandering of wrestlers in service of a broad brand strategy which changes every 15 fucking minutes, but the same issues are there. I know who all the big indie wrestlers are and I either don't care about them or have seen what they've got to offer, and it doesn't excite me any more. I watched NXT regularly for about two years and saw call-up after call-up go on to a big nothing, so I know that the NXT matches are really as good as it is going to get for 99% of them. So like with the potential AJ vs Nakamura classic match that I might hear about, I might tune in if the women's title scene produces a particularly great match - but I've seen great NXT women's title matches already. How you gonna top the four horsewomen stuff? I don't think you can, those matches were great, and I saw them all. I feel like I've seen absolutely everything this current incarnation of WWE can do, all the good and bad, and there's no surprises left.

I hear you man, there's definitely fatigue with how many hours of wrestling that's on right now.

Heroman

Banned
If you only watch wwe and hate it but haven't search for all this great wrestling going on all over then I don't what to tell you. Cause it is a golden age of wrestling.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Remember when Luke Harper's film premiered at the Fantasia film festival and WWE literally didn't hype or promote it at all
I’m more mad at myself right now for not knowing Luke had a film at Fantasia, especially since I keep up with all the news from Film Twitter

If you only watch wwe but haven't search for all this great wrestling going on all over then I don't what to tell. Cause it is a golden age of wrestling.

Some people like to watch wrestling with high production value because they've been conditioned to that. Some people don't love looking up promo translations or like understanding the product completely. There's also some crossover there.

What is "great wrestling" to one fan might be unwatchable to someone else for one reason or another.

What I'm saying is that there's no broad stroke with which anyone can say "there's no way you can't find something great here!"

Oh, that Okabayashi/Takagi vs. Sekimoto/Sato match from the 9/20 BJW show was a lot of fun. Highly recommended. Probably won’t end up on anyone’s MOTYC list, but it’s a fun 30 minutes.

I’m now searching for this Ciclope vs. Nick Gage match from the Nick Gage Invitational 2. I also want to watch Big R Shimizu vs. Mochizuki from 9/5 Dragon Gate and Mochizuki vs. YAMATO from the 9/18 Dragon Gate. If I have time, I want to see this Shotaro Ashino vs. Daiki Inaba match from the 9/18 Wrestle-1 show.

I'm more mad at myself right now for not knowing Luke had a film at Fantasia, especially since I keep up with all the news from Film Twitter

He was away for a little bit promoting the film

And then he's been away for a lot longer ever since because ??????? aka fuck wwe where the fuck is luke harper

If you only watch wwe and hate it but haven't search for all this great wrestling going on all over then I don't what to tell you. Cause it is a golden age of wrestling.

Yeah as much as we bitch about the wwe, there is so much going on that surely some semblance of fun can still be had.

I haven't watched WWE consistently since June so I get the burnout there but man, when you have some of the matches we have seen from Japan this year, I can't grasp how one couldn't find some entertainment.

gun_haver, anything else going on in real life? Stress etc?

Some people like to watch wrestling with high production value because they've been conditioned to that. Some people don't love looking up promo translations or like understanding the product completely. There's also some crossover there.

What is "great wrestling" to one fan might be unwatchable to someone else for one reason or another.

What I'm saying is that there's no broad stroke with which anyone can say "there's no way you can't find something great here!"

Yeah. I don’t watch pretty zero WWE except for TakeOvers, and I’m willing to explore grimy American and Japanese indies more than most. But PROGRESS is out there, if you want good enough production values, good wrestling, and English promos and commentary.

Yeah. I don’t watch pretty zero WWE except for TakeOvers, and I’m willing to explore grimy American and Japanese indies more than most. But PROGRESS is out there, if you want good enough production values, good wrestling, and English promos and commentary.

Yeah, Progress is probably my highest recommendation if someone wants to follow an English promotion with reasonable production values. They're great.

Heroman

Banned

But if people dont try to watch it they will never know

Weird NXT result

Fabian Aichner defeats Johnny Gargano

Huh

Hmm

I'm still a month or so behind, last I saw Johnny lost to Almas at Takeover cause of the shirt. Has he still been losing? Is he still distracted? If they're still building that he can't get it done with Ciampa on his mind, then great.

Hope this means they have plans for Aichner too, he's been good the little I've seen.

Great wrestling and poor production values are mutually exclusive. Getting hung up on the latter doesn't feed into what is or isn't "great wrestling". If I haven't finished watching a match because I hated the lighting, then I can't make an assertion whether the match was good or not

I'd take a break from watching wrestling if I was feeling like you. Get into a new hobby or look into old hobbies you have. Watch some new tv shows you don't think you would like. Try out new things.

Wrestling will always be here (unless you are a 5 year-er)

Edit - I took a break from wrestling for a few years in the late 00's and came back to wrestling when the WWE Network launched in 2014.

gun_haver

Yeah I'm the kind of fan who likes production value and to understand everything that is going on. I guess you could say it's conditioning with the production value, but understanding and following stories and context closely is just a matter of taste. I don't have much of a taste for pure, dry athleticism. If I did, I'd be a sports fan.

I get that there's a lot of inherent value in a well performed match for a lot of wrestling's fans, but to me that's always only been a piece of the puzzle. For me, I do need it, but it's not enough. I need other reasons to care, whether they are storyline based or business based (ie, man i wonder if they're gonna take this guy to x spot, wonder what the reaction will be like, etc).

I'm not a hate-watcher, if something is boring me I just skip it. These days I'm skipping pretty much everything, that's all. In the past I would get frustrated momentarily because I wanted something to happen and then it didn't, or the inverse, but now it's more like there's nothing I particularly even want to happen.

Like I said above, I think it's just the expiry of a phase. I think I'll probably be back when there's some degree of 'what's been going on' or 'wow who are all these new wrestlers', but a lot of time needs to pass to build up that lack of familiarity. So I guess I'll see you guys in 2032.

gun_haver, anything else going on in real life? Stress etc?

Haha, nothing out of the ordinary, no. I mean I am spending a lot more time on other things - other hobbies, self-improvement stuff - but that's y'know, good and the lack of time I feel compelled to spend hearing about Look Who's Getting Pushed Now gives me more room for all that.

I think SDL's first few months last year were kind of the last chance, in retrospect. With all the changes and differences in focus on that roster, I thought, okay well here's something new - let's see where this goes. We've seen where it goes.

Zach

Warrior said awful shit about a lot of people. When Heath Ledger died, he said his kids were better off (because Heath was in Brokeback Mountain, you see). He said he admired Heath because he took great effort to kill himself for the sake of his kids.

When Hurricane Katrina happened, he said it was good because it showed the world how dysfunctional the people of New Orleans were and a lot of racist tropes about poor people with good shoes and cell phones and they're obviously not starving and stuff you've probably heard a million times.

He took a dump on MLK, Jr. for having a holiday because he only marched 40 miles on paved roads with security guards and JEEEEZUS I don't want to keep typing this shit fuck you for making me
Gross. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

Almas vs. McIntyre
for the NXT Title at Takeover

But if people dont try to watch it they will never know

I agree, people should try it.

Great wrestling and poor production values are mutually exclusive. Getting hung up on the latter doesn't feed into what is or isn't "great wrestling".

What's "great" is subjective. If we're talking just wrestling in the ring, then yeah that's good irrelevant of production. But if we're using "wrestling" as a euphemism for the whole package, then production value can absolutely drag that down. What your tolerance is for that stuff varies from person to person.

Hmm

I'm still a month or so behind, last I saw Johnny lost to Almas at Takeover cause of the shirt. Has he still been losing? Is he still distracted? If they're still building that he can't get it done with Ciampa on his mind, then great.

Hope this means they have plans for Aichner too, he's been good the little I've seen.

Yeah, he loses his rematch to Almas next week on TV, and then he loses to Aichner in a few weeks. They seem to be running with him not being able to take off as a singles guy. I think it'll lead to him eventually decide that he can't move on until he beats Ciampa one-on-one and we get that big match.

Almas vs. McIntyre
for the NXT Title at Takeover

Yeah, he loses his rematch to Almas next week on TV, and then he loses to Aichner in a few weeks. They seem to be running with him not being able to take off as a singles guy. I think it'll lead to him eventually decide that he can't move on until he beats Ciampa one-on-one and we get that big match.

This all sounds good.

Top Bottom