• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| I'm seein' double here...

I dunno if this is just the end of the natural phase of a wrestling watching period - it probably is, because when I was a kid I also watched for about 3 years from 1998-2001 - but man I can't find it in me to give a shit about anything WWE has done for about six months. I generally tune in for Brock matches but even then the only one I've really enjoyed in a good long while is the Samoa Joe one, and I think that was a one off just in terms of how it was done and the follow up promo. I'd watch another match between those two.

Otherwise though, as good as some of these guys are physically, I don't think there is anything they could do within the context of wrestling anymore that is going to keep my attention for more than a sporadic match here and there. Like if I heard AJ got to have a 30 minute 5 star match with Shinsuke or something, I'd watch it, but when it comes to everyone else - Seth, Dean, Roman, Braun, Miz, Cena, everyone - there's just nothing they could do. I've seen them at their best and worst and I know the score. It's over.

At a time like this people might suggest branching out into indies or NJPW but when it comes to wrestling I need production quality or it's just sad to me, or I need english language promos to get invested in the matches, etc. I think I'll just let this happen, it's been a huge timesink for the past three years. Not so much in the actual watching of it - I always blasted through a Raw or a PPV in 1 hour max - but in the reading about backstage happenings, reactions to what was going on, podcasts etc. The business of it was always what I spent most of my time on, but apparently you do need to give a vague crap about the shows for that to survive. Or maybe I've just seen everything interesting there is about it - I know the whole history from like 1985 on by now. There were some fun times but it's like I sobered up and the party isn't interesting anymore.

Anyone else in this position? It could also be the shows are especially bad this year, but I don't think that's it. They've always been bad with a bright spot in one storyline at a time every few months. I think there might just be a shelf-life on wrestling fandom for most people, and you get burned out. I'll probably be back again in another 15 years when everything's changed and figuring out what the hell is going on, who's good at this, who's bad at this, etc, is possible again.

WWE requires a ton of time to watch and to produce. Having 6+ hours of content a week and by moving towards more and more matches in that 6 hours they burn through match ups really quick which does make it hard to want to watch yet another match you've already seen 5 times this month.

When they cut back on original content for the Network I had hoped they'd roll that creativity/money into doing it on the weekly shows so we had entertaining non-wrestling segments to have less matches outside the PPV's.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mr. Regal announced Undisputed vs. SANITY vs. The Authors of Pain & Roderick Strong in War Games.

TAKEOVER IS GONNA BE AMAZING

somedevil

Man the Dream got some height on that elbow. Like how the story is he wants black to acknowledge him by calling him the velveteen dream and not Patrick.

:O

Where is DMczaf?! RBH?! Dato?!

:O

OH SHIT

IT'S HAPPENING!

YES

So this Takeover card is set, and it might be the best one ever. Regal confirmed
it is a classic War Games match. One cage. Two rings.

Here's the card:

Sanity vs. Undisputed vs. AOP & Roddy in War Games

Andrade Almas vs. Drew McIntyre
for the NXT Title
Kairi Sane vs. Ember Moon vs. Peyton Royce vs. Nikki Cross
for the NXT Women's Title

Velveteen Dream vs. Aleister Black
And probably one more match to be added.

Those NXT Spoilers are awesome.
Hasn't HHH always wanted to bring Wargames into WWE? Vince might not wanna do it but I guess HHH convinced him to let him use it for Takeover.

Nekofrog

Banned
I dunno if this is just the end of the natural phase of a wrestling watching period - it probably is, because when I was a kid I also watched for about 3 years from 1998-2001 - but man I can't find it in me to give a shit about anything WWE has done for about six months. I generally tune in for Brock matches but even then the only one I've really enjoyed in a good long while is the Samoa Joe one, and I think that was a one off just in terms of how it was done and the follow up promo. I'd watch another match between those two.

Otherwise though, as good as some of these guys are physically, I don't think there is anything they could do within the context of wrestling anymore that is going to keep my attention for more than a sporadic match here and there. Like if I heard AJ got to have a 30 minute 5 star match with Shinsuke or something, I'd watch it, but when it comes to everyone else - Seth, Dean, Roman, Braun, Miz, Cena, everyone - there's just nothing they could do. I've seen them at their best and worst and I know the score. It's over.

At a time like this people might suggest branching out into indies or NJPW but when it comes to wrestling I need production quality or it's just sad to me, or I need english language promos to get invested in the matches, etc. I think I'll just let this happen, it's been a huge timesink for the past three years. Not so much in the actual watching of it - I always blasted through a Raw or a PPV in 1 hour max - but in the reading about backstage happenings, reactions to what was going on, podcasts etc. The business of it was always what I spent most of my time on, but apparently you do need to give a vague crap about the shows for that to survive. Or maybe I've just seen everything interesting there is about it - I know the whole history from like 1985 on by now. There were some fun times but it's like I sobered up and the party isn't interesting anymore.

Anyone else in this position? It could also be the shows are especially bad this year, but I don't think that's it. They've always been bad with a bright spot in one storyline at a time every few months. I think there might just be a shelf-life on wrestling fandom for most people, and you get burned out. I'll probably be back again in another 15 years when everything's changed and figuring out what the hell is going on, who's good at this, who's bad at this, etc, is possible again.

You are me

Seriously I know you addressed it but give new Japan a shot. I haven't watched anything wwe in months and it's because new Japan showed me the light

SilentMike03

Neo Member
NXT Spoilers:

Shame about Roddy not turning. I was hoping he'd join Undisputed to maybe give him some kind of personality. I like the guy and want him to do well but holy shit is he dull.

Also, it's been a minute for me - what are the rules for War Games?

I have a War Games question.

What did they do with the 2nd ring for the rest of the PPV? Was it always set up and just not used or was the entire card using all the rings?

Nekofrog

Banned
Why they gotta tug at my
dubyaceedubya
heart strings

Legit the only thing they could do to make me watch again and they're gonna do it

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
crowdd.gif

What did they do with the 2nd ring for the rest of the PPV? Was it always set up and just not used or was the entire card using all the rings?

sometimes they used it. they would do the same with world war 3 rings as well. the infamous rey jumping from one ring to another spot comes to mind. there was also a match where the opponent was running through each ring to duck the other guy

Zach

Somebody post that jif of Flair fleeing to the second ring like a madman. You know the one.

Oh, that might've been a World War 3 show. >_>

NXT continues to confirm what we've thought for a while.

Hunter is just a mark like the rest of us.

BTW, the title of the show is now officially
NXT Takeover: War Games

Top Bottom