• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I wonder how much WWE is struggling behind the scenes. It seems dire but I wonder if it just what's being portrayed and not reality for the exec team. I would think that bringing back or signing wrestlers such as Angle, Sting, Dudleyz, Hardys, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Bobby Roode, and others would help fill out the roster to help patch the leaks on the sinking boat while Ambrose, Wyatt, Rollins, Reigns, Zayn, Itami, Devitt, Neville, and Cesaro move up the ranks and gather fans.

Recall

I wonder how much WWE is struggling behind the scenes. It seems dire but I wonder if it just what's being portrayed and not reality for the exec team. I would think that bringing back or signing wrestlers such as Angle, Sting, Dudleyz, Hardys, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Bobby Roode, and others would help fill out the roster to help patch the leaks on the sinking boat while Ambrose, Wyatt, Rollins, Reigns, Zayn, Itami, Devitt, Neville, and Cesaro move up the ranks and gather fans.

It's not how WWE works regardless of how the Internet wants it to.

Merch creating personalities are far more important than wrestling ability. Everyone keeps saying the WWE is struggling yet has survived 12 years on the same booking style and will keep at it.

strobogo

Banned
It really isn't cena's fault. it's creative as a whole and the way the entire program is booked. cena is used poorly but really most of the powerful babyfaces they book these days can't get anyone over. shaemus fucking sucks but they decided if he can't make it in the main event being a cena clone he will be the midcard version of cena. reigns is being groomed to replace cena. bryan is replacing cm punk as the guy that holds over teenage boy fans and smarks too old to still be watching wrestling.

really the only periods of time wrestling has been amazing is when the story deviated a bit from the typical predictable format of good/bad and encompassed other possibilities of other things happening and why it was happening other than "just cause it's good/bad." they've had quite a few opportunities to run with more compelling stories and work with different talent but they've chosen to keep the company centered around their hogan clone, cena.

this is just how they want wrestling to be right now. I think they plan to sell the company soon or see a certain market growing up and staying with them for many more years to come. who knows?

First off, Sheamus is a pretty dope wrestler. As a character, he has often sucked. In actual matches, he's one of the best guys of the past decade that wasn't big on the US indies first. People complain about the lolbroguekick kind of finishes, but I think that is silly. It's one of the most protected finishers over the last 3-4 years. There has definitely been a problem with his character, especially when he was WHC, but in ring he's dope.

Secondly, I find it impossible to believe that John Cena has zero say in what he does. There is no way that a guy who has been on top for 9 years straight has no influence in what he does or says on screen. It's pretty silly to see how many guys end up much worse off after working with Cena than they were before and claim that he's not at all to blame. Getting into a program with Cena has been terrible for nearly everyone that wasn't already an established star, Edge (who WAS an established star, though not a main event one) and CM Punk. People talk about Hogan all the time, but guys who worked with Hogan in the 80s were still making a lot of money 5-10 years later. Working with Hogan made guys valuable for years. Working with Cena kills your heat and gets you turned into a joke or released with in a couple of years. He has consistently gone out and shit on gimmicks for the past 7 or 8 years, very very very rarely put over anyone clean, and typically made guys look terrible in the feud ending matches. You can say he's just following orders, but to pretend like he has no say is silly. He's like just about every to guy ever; he protects his spot.

Ugh. So much wrestling discussion going on in here
Wrestling?

2YFfur1.gif

Caspel

It's not how WWE works regardless of how the Internet wants it to.

Merch creating personalities are far more important than wrestling ability. Everyone keeps saying the WWE is struggling yet has survived 12 years on the same booking style and will keep at it.

Um, you contradict yourself. Sting is already giving them a lot of great mercy possibilities. The others I mentioned, especially Jeff Hardy, would give WWE great merch to sell while the new stars rise. And you're wrong -- if wrestling ability wasn't considered, then Angle would be back by now based on the past 2 years of talk.

Um, you contradict yourself. Sting is already giving them a lot of great mercy possibilities. The others I mentioned, especially Jeff Hardy, would give WWE great merch to sell while the new stars rise. And you're wrong -- if wrestling ability wasn't considered, then Angle would be back by now based on the past 2 years of talk.

Angle's not back because he's a pill popping drunk who's one too many soma or pain pills from being another death, only this time, it'll be an Olympic gold medalist.

As for the rest, the Hardy's aren't worth the trouble of another drug issue and all of his 14-year-old fans who were creaming their panties over him are doing it over Dean Ambrose or Roman Reigns now, Samoa Joe is old and fat, Bully Ray is old, AJ Styles makes more in Japan (and wouldn't want to go to NXT), and Bobby Roode is too old.

Caspel

Angle's not back because he's a pill popping drunk who's one too many soma or pain pills from being another death, only this time, it'll be an Olympic gold medalist.

As for the rest, the Hardy's aren't worth the trouble of another drug issue and all of his 14-year-old fans who were creaming their panties over him are doing it over Dean Ambrose or Roman Reigns now, Samoa Joe is old and fat, Bully Ray is old, AJ Styles makes more in Japan (and wouldn't want to go to NXT), and Bobby Roode is too old.

Yawn. They will sell merch regardless of whatever excuses you may have for not signing them.

bjork

You are getting the match the internet fans have clamored for since this feud started and Cena is out of the picture and you still complain. This caps off a Raw that was almost all wrestling.

This community is determined to not enjoy ANYTHING.

I wonder which is worse, being sour over the content of a show, or being sour over the people watching that show?

Twice in a lifetime...the same thing Bret and Shawn were supposed to do with Mania 12 and 13, but Shawn pussy-footed out of it.

Good thing he did, I doubt Bret/HBK III (let's count the 1992 Survivor Series match!) would've had the same impact as Bret/Austin.

Im watching Diesel's promo on the Raw before Summerslam 95 on WWE Network...this shit sounds just like Roman Reign's interview from last week.

Vince, stop it. You don't learn shit from history.

I couldn't get the PPV on my cable, and wondering if Diesel beat Mabel is why I got on the internet for the first time ever. You quit talking dirty on Diesel. You're betraying the new generation!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My only interest in a Career mode in a wrestling game lies in the backstage politic simulator that it should be. I want to 'get heat' by refusing to put up some young up and comer over. I want to see someone with a lot of momentum and get into a feud with them where I ultimately win the war.

I mean, NBA 2k's career mode kinda does that kind of stuff with making drama amongst your players. Reality era, damnit.

My only interest in a Career mode in a wrestling game lies in the backstage politic simulator that it should be. I want to 'get heat' by refusing to put up some young up and comer over. I want to see someone with a lot of momentum and get into a feud with them where I ultimately win the war.

I mean, NBA 2k's career mode kinda does that kind of stuff with making drama amongst your players. Reality era, damnit.
I want to browse wrasslegaf in my career mode.

bjork

I was watching some old episode of Raw and they opened with Owen/Anvil v. Bret/Bulldog and gave them like 20 minutes. There was a PPV report to recap some stuff, then Bam Bam had a squash, then a brief King's Court with 1-2-3 Kid and I thought this might be a good example of how they managed to fit a bunch of good stuff on one-hour episodes. But then there was a Doink match where he squashed Pat Tanaka and the midget clowns and midget kings had a staredown. That might have been the worst SS match ever. :(

Oh, it was also the episode where Vince says bye to Macho. His face after his statement is like "you fuck."

strobogo

Banned
Guys who were never the same after working with Cena:

• Chris Jericho
  • Christian
  • Umaga
  • Great Khali
  • Ken Kennedy
  • Randy Orton (arguably)
  • JBL
  • Bobby Lashley
  • Carlito
  • Every member of The Nexus
  • R-Truth
  • Miz
  • Alberto Del Rio
  • Mark Henry
  • Damien Sandow
  • Kane (arguably)
  • Ryback
  • Bray Wyatt (plus Harper and Rowan)

Recall

Angle isn't there for health concerns that he wants to work less dates, while WWE wants more of a commitment.

Everyone still tunes in regardless of who is in RAW. WWE can't be failing or no one would watch.

DiscoJon

Banned
Guys who were never the same after working with Cena:

• Chris Jericho
  • Christian
  • Umaga
  • Great Khali
  • Ken Kennedy
  • Randy Orton (arguably)
  • JBL
  • Bobby Lashley
  • Carlito
  • Every member of The Nexus
  • R-Truth
  • Miz
  • Alberto Del Rio
  • Mark Henry
  • Damien Sandow
  • Kane (arguably)
  • Ryback
  • Bray Wyatt

You're forgetting about all the people he's leeched popularity from:

Cryme Time

Zack Ryder

Usos

Countless more, help me out people.

strobogo

Banned
You're forgetting about all the people he's leeched popularity from:

[*] Cryme Time

[*] Zack Ryder

[*] Usos

I also didn't include all the times he crushed a popular mid card act on Raw in a 5 minute match for no reason. Or defeated a tag team with ease in a handicap match. The biggest example that comes to mind was a random complete squash of Cody Rhodes on Raw when he had been working hard for months to get over as a heel. This was within the last 2 years. I believe it twas during the time he was teaming with Sandow. They had a match on Raw for no reason that was a complete squash. Cena is 100x worse than Hogan just based on how different the modern WWE TV style is. Hogan basically only wrestled on SNME and PPVs, and the dudes that worked with him would have another 10 years of making money in WWE or WCW as long as they weren't super hard to work with or complete fuck ups. Even though Hulk would always Hulk Up and kick out of finishers, he sold like death for dudes.

Cena wrestles almost every week for 9 years and guys who work programs with him have to start all over again or find work elsewhere. There is a consistent pattern of guys taking huge hits to their careers after working with Cena. Both on the mic and in ring. The pattern is so consistent and blatant that only a dumb dumb the likes of Aiii would believe it is just coincidental. Only the same type of Aiii level dumb dumb would believe that he doesn't have a say in what he does. That same Aiii type would be naive enough to think that he isn't aware of how he kills gimmicks on the mic and in the ring. He's not a politician like Hogan was, but he doesn't need to be. His role is to step in and say "this is a bad idea, it's going to hurt X". He's way, way past the point of beating every top up and comer being something that helps him get/stay over. As the top guy and defacto leader, it's up to him to reject ideas that put him over at the expense of hurting guys. After nearly a decade of doing the opposite, I think it is fair to assume he's a bit of a shit head and partially to blame for the lack of new stars and boring ass shows.

kirblar

The failure of the network + going public is resulting in massive problems for them.

strobogo

Banned
The failure of the network + going public is resulting in massive problems for them.

They went public 14 years ago, though. They also haven't changed how they run shit at all since going public. They're public, but the McMahon family holds something like 70% of controlling interest. I don't think being a public company has anything to do with their current issues. Most of the problems they have now are rooted in the post-Attitude Era where they had no identity and were gun shy about pushing new stars over established Monday Night War guys.

First matches for Power Struggle announced;

. Special Singles Match: AJ Styles vs Yoshi Tatsu
. Special Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi vs Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI
. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Katsuyori Shibata

Also, it looks like Ryusuke Taguchi may have broken his ankle in the match with El Desperado yesterday. I think he injured it right at the end, when he hit the Dodon's Throne. Hopefully it's not too serious, worst time of year to get injured in New Japan, what with the Tokyo Dome show on the horizon.

gaiadyne

First matches for Power Struggle announced;

. Special Singles Match: AJ Styles vs Yoshi Tatsu
. Special Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi vs Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI
. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Katsuyori Shibata

Also, it looks like Ryusuke Taguchi may have broken his ankle in the match with El Desperado yesterday. I think he injured it right at the end, when he hit the Dodon's Throne. Hopefully it's not too serious, worst time of year to get injured in New Japan, what with the Tokyo Dome show on the horizon.

How good is Yoshi Tatsu when they actually allow him to be a legitimate competitor?

kirblar

They went public 14 years ago, though. They also haven't changed how they run shit at all since going public. They're public, but the McMahon family holds something like 70% of controlling interest. I don't think being a public company has anything to do with their current issues. Most of the problems they have now are rooted in the post-Attitude Era where they had no identity and were gun shy about pushing new stars over established Monday Night War guys.
Not that - it's the slash/burn cuts they're going through right now that are primarily the result of going public years back. They can't just eat the L.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So... I wouldn't give this too much merit normally. It's probably a flub, and I'd be extremely shocked if it wasn't. Don't know if any of the gamescom hands-on have said anything. I'm thinking maybe this is the last gen versions blurb, and they pasted it over.

But.
On the WWE 2k15 store page on PSN. It says, '720p HD Video Output'

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
PS4 store.

And another fun thing. They have a 'digital deluxe' version listed. It's 80 dollars. So you might think, 'oh it saves me 5 dollars on the season pass like every other gold edition' or whatever. NOPE. It's the Hulkamania edition WITH NONE OF THE PHYSICAL STUFF

Aiii

So not worth it
PS4 store.

And another fun thing. They have a 'digital deluxe' version listed. It's 80 dollars. So you might think, 'oh it saves me 5 dollars on the season pass like every other gold edition' or whatever. NOPE. It's the Hulkamania edition WITH NONE OF THE PHYSICAL STUFF

They've been doing that alot I've noticed, giving the special limited edition crap digitally for the same price as physical on the PSN store, not sure what's up with that, surely people don't buy into that?
Of course they do

But there's nothing to the Hulkamania edition besides a few pre-order character skins, that's just insane.

No more "JEEEEYAAAAAHHHNNN CENAAAAAAA!!!!"

It's more like JEEEEEERRRRRRRN SIIIIIIIINAAAAAAAA.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The more I think about it. With the history of Yukes. And all the 'impressions' from Gamescom....

I bet it is 720p. Let Yukes lead the way in being outdated. Because almost every other game either says 1080p or doesn't list resolution at all. It's totally going to be 720p, and it's still going to perform like shit.

Jamie OD

PS4 store.

The deluxe edition includes the season pass.

Aiii

So not worth it
The more I think about it. With the history of Yukes. And all the 'impressions' from Gamescom....

I bet it is 720p. Let Yukes lead the way in being outdated. Because almost every other game either says 1080p or doesn't list resolution at all. It's totally going to be 720p, and it's still going to perform like shit.

I don't think there's any 720p PS4 games yet, that I know off, everything is 900p or up. And even 900p is undercutting the hardware for one reason or another. There's no reason it shouldn't be 1080p, they don't exactly have the highest graphical demand.

It's probably an error, NBA 2k14 was 1080p, and I doubt 2K would accept anything less from Yuke's.

I also didn't include all the times he crushed a popular mid card act on Raw in a 5 minute match for no reason. Or defeated a tag team with ease in a handicap match. The biggest example that comes to mind was a random complete squash of Cody Rhodes on Raw when he had been working hard for months to get over as a heel. This was within the last 2 years. I believe it twas during the time he was teaming with Sandow. They had a match on Raw for no reason that was a complete squash. Cena is 100x worse than Hogan just based on how different the modern WWE TV style is. Hogan basically only wrestled on SNME and PPVs, and the dudes that worked with him would have another 10 years of making money in WWE or WCW as long as they weren't super hard to work with or complete fuck ups. Even though Hulk would always Hulk Up and kick out of finishers, he sold like death for dudes.

Cena wrestles almost every week for 9 years and guys who work programs with him have to start all over again or find work elsewhere. There is a consistent pattern of guys taking huge hits to their careers after working with Cena. Both on the mic and in ring. The pattern is so consistent and blatant that only a dumb dumb the likes of Aiii would believe it is just coincidental. Only the same type of Aiii level dumb dumb would believe that he doesn't have a say in what he does. That same Aiii type would be naive enough to think that he isn't aware of how he kills gimmicks on the mic and in the ring. He's not a politician like Hogan was, but he doesn't need to be. His role is to step in and say "this is a bad idea, it's going to hurt X". He's way, way past the point of beating every top up and comer being something that helps him get/stay over. As the top guy and defacto leader, it's up to him to reject ideas that put him over at the expense of hurting guys. After nearly a decade of doing the opposite, I think it is fair to assume he's a bit of a shit head and partially to blame for the lack of new stars and boring ass shows.
Upvoted.

Recall

I don't think there's any 720p PS4 games yet, that I know off, everything is 900p or up. And even 900p is undercutting the hardware for one reason or another. There's no reason it shouldn't be 1080p, they don't exactly have the highest graphical demand.

It's probably an error, NBA 2k14 was 1080p, and I doubt 2K would accept anything less from Yuke's.

Oh noes its not 1080pee

Recall

Just read up on Raw and it sounded like a fun show with a decent chunk of wrestling. Even got Rusev and Big Show to go 15 mins!

Aiii

So not worth it
Just read up on Raw and it sounded like a fun show with a decent chunk of wrestling. Even got Rusev and Big Show to go 15 mins!

With Charles Robinson as ref, doesn't get much better than Lil' Naitch selling all the power moves in the background.

Anyone else really enjoy Bruce Tharpe-des? I don't think the character could work anywhere else but Japan, he's so over the top, in the vein of proper old-school managers. He's been the best thing about the New Japan partnership with the NWA, that's for sure.

Tharpe.gif

Tharpe1.gif

Liger.gif

Incidentally, W-1 confirmed that El Patron (Del Rio) will be wrestling Masakatsu Funaki! That's something actually worth paying attention to W-1 for, I'd say.

Top Bottom