• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Bert409

1jraZGYrmbM.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bean not posting in here means he's just going to make OT threads to discuss things he wants to discuss. Someone had to stop him.

TheBear

A couple of observations from Season 1 of Total Divas

- The Uso is probably the most funny charismatic person on the roster and on the show
- Eva Marie is hot
- So are the Bellas. Nikki more so.
- Divas are terrible at wrestling, except for Nattie. She is fuckin legit
- TJ is such a fascinating character. He is a good-looking, wrestling obsessed man-child with the personality of a cardboard box.
- I don't know what to make of Cena. He is like this calm, super reasonable, likeable musclebound gentlemen that is incapable of emotion. His acting has come a long way.
- This and NXT are the best shows WWE has to offer right now.

Gonzalez

Banned
Isn't Karl Anderson the Johnny Ace of New Japan? Basically the one that helps bring in American talent, and books all the Gaijin?

I wouldn't say they have no faith in Karl, he did get the 2012 G1 final and, unlike most gaijins brought in on a tour-by-tour basis, has a long-term contract with New Japan. Also, he has a great spinebuster. Screw you, stro.

Anywho, have some Portland gifs;

Boyd1.gif

Rose.gif

Youngblood.gif

Isn't Karl Anderson the Johnny Ace of New Japan? Basically the one that helps bring in American talent, and books all the Gaijin talent?

Him and Rocky Romero.

Yujiro is being held back by these goobers.

Yeah, he won his first singles title and gets to feud with the returning Yoshitatsu. Awful.

DiscoJon

Banned
I'm firmly in the Karl Anderson hate camp. I've said it once and I'll say it again, no one here would give two shits about the guy if he was in TNA rather than the cool overseas promotion.

I'm firmly in the Karl Anderson hate camp. I've said it once and I'll say it again, no one here would give two shits about the guy if he was in TNA rather than the cool overseas promotion.

People give a shit about Karl Anderson because of Bad Intentions, who were undoubtedly one of the top tag teams on the planet for a good few years. I readily admit I gave no shits about him in PWG, or even his early days in New Japan, but wrestling some of the best talent in the world in front of huge audiences in Japan has improved him as a wrestler. To the degree he can hang with New Japan's top talent, headline Sumo Hall and add a G1 final to his resume.

Also, I don't give a shit about anyone in TNA, no matter how good a wrestler they may or may not be. It's TNA, they fuck everything up.

Oh wow. The Yoshi Tatsu. I take it all back.

Please, it's stylised as Yoshitatsu now. All one word.

strobogo

Banned

There are a number of dudes in NJ that I don't think anyone would give a shit about in smaller Japanese promotions or on US indies. Like Ishii. Like Goto. Like Honma. Like Yano. Like Koslov. Basically everyone who is a regular member of the pre-intermission card. People raving over Ishii would be like people raving over Paul Roma in 1989 WWF. That dude is as stock and basic as possible.

TMF AND Norman Smiley getting talking head segments on MNW. The GOAT episode already.

Yeah, Ishii's a generic puro guy who wears black, does all the fighting spirit stuff and hits people really hard, but he stands out in an era of New Japan where everyone else is flashy, fast-paced and more inclined to displays of athleticism than hitting people in the face. Also, Goto could walk into any other promotion in Japan and hold their top title, easy. And I don't get how you don't GET Honma - he's such a basic underdog, overlooked for the majority of his career because of his deathmatch background and never really given any opportunities to shine, be it in All Japan or New Japan. The fan's big reactions for him aren't something that could ever happen overnight, it's based entirely on seeing him in that position for the past decade, and the same goes for Ishii, who's only getting his due now because the fans responded so well to him and his style and his popularity has grown over the years, in spite of being a perennial undercard performer.

Also, Ishii could go to PWG with zero fanfare, wrestle anyone on the roster and tear the goddamn place down. There's a good reason he's on so many peoples wrestler of the year lists, including Meltzer's.

There are a number of dudes in NJ that I don't think anyone would give a shit about in smaller Japanese promotions or on US indies. Like Ishii. Like Goto. Like Honma. Like Yano. Like Koslov. Basically everyone who is a regular member of the pre-intermission card. People raving over Ishii would be like people raving over Paul Roma in 1989 WWF. That dude is as stock and basic as possible.

You're so funny sometimes, Stro.

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, Ishii's a generic puro guy who wears black, does all the fighting spirit stuff and hits people really hard, but he stands out in an era of New Japan where everyone else is flashy, fast-paced and more inclined to displays of athleticism than hitting people in the face. Also, Goto could walk into any other promotion in Japan and hold their top title, easy. And I don't get how you don't GET Honma - he's such a basic underdog, overlooked for the majority of his career because of his deathmatch background and never really given any opportunities to shine, be it in All Japan or New Japan. The fan's big reactions for him aren't something that could ever happen overnight, it's based entirely on seeing him in that position for the past decade, and the same goes for Ishii, who's only getting his due now because the fans responded so well to him and his style and his popularity has grown over the years, in spite of being a perennial undercard performer.

Also, Ishii could go to PWG with zero fanfare, wrestle anyone on the roster and tear the goddamn place down. There's a good reason he's on so many peoples wrestler of the year lists, including Meltzer's.

I see absolutely nothing in Ishii or Honma. They're both boring as shit to me. I don't GET Honma because he doesn't look like a good wrestler to me. I don't GET Ishii because he's the most basic Japanese wrestler ever.

I see absolutely nothing in Ishii or Honma. They're both boring as shit to me. I don't GET Honma because he doesn't look like a good wrestler to me. I don't GET Ishii because he's the most basic Japanese wrestler ever.

You may not get it, but I don't think it's fair to assume that if he were in another Japanese promotion or the US indies then no one would give a shit about him. If he was doing the same thing he is doing now elsewhere, the people who like his style and his matches would still like his style and his matches.

strobogo

Banned
You may not get it, but I don't think it's fair to assume that if he were in another Japanese promotion or the US indies then no one would give a shit about him. If he was doing the same thing he is doing now elsewhere, the people who like his style and his matches would still like his style and his matches.

Would they really give a shit if he was doing that stuff in modern day All Japan? I don't think they would at all.

Ishii is like danel bryan( down to completely destroying his shoulder and being short )over looked for years, got a following. , given a chance to shine and is now working his ass off .

Guy has great intensity .

Would they really give a shit if he was doing that stuff in modern day All Japan? I don't think they would at all.

I just don't see how the environment he is in makes his matches better by default. Would as many people see him? Certainly not. But would the ones that do see him like him just as much as they do now? I think so.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like Ishii.

But Honma is shit tier. He's the Zack Ryder of NJPW. Shit tier in AJPW too even with their shitty roster

I like Ishii.

But Honma is shit tier. He's the Zack Ryder of NJPW. Shit tier in AJPW too even with their shitty roster

You can at least appreciate why the fans have such big reactions for him, though? I'm not saying Honma's some amazing talent who deserves all the belts, he's an undercard guy, but there's a good reason he's as popular as he currently is.

Remember what I said about Ishii standing out in New Japan because he works a different style from the majority of the roster? Yeah. Also, people wouldn't give a shit because it's modern day All Japan. A promotion that, much like NOAH, W-1 and Z1, is currently in the shitter and struggling to draw.

strobogo

Banned
I just don't get it. NJPW has the best upper card in the world, but at least half of their roster is completely uninteresting to me and their popularity online makes no sense to me. Ishii and Honma especially. I mean, as shitty as I think the Young Bucks are, I guess I can see why shitheads would like them. I can't see the appeal of Ishii or Honma no matter how many matches of theirs I see.

Ishii has had an incredible 2014 and every single one of his matches has delivered. He may be bland but so was Malenko but yet you love the hell out of him.

strobogo

Banned
Legit shook that WWE didn't cut Benoit out of the Radicalz on the latest Monday Night War. They cut him out of all the WCW stuff, but then showed the whole group in the crowd at Raw with all of them being named. Then some more Benoit stuff in that first month or so after jumping.

Idk but it seems like people don't consider Honma the straight up comedy character that Santino is.

They don't, I'd say Captain New Japan's the more appropriate comparison to Santino - however, comedy is part of the reason behind Honma's popularity, what with his insistence on using the Kokeshi and his unusually deep voice (thanks to crushed vocal chords), even though he isn't seen entirely as a comedy wrestler. He's a definite undercard guy, though - people didn't see him as a contender for the G1, or even likely to win any of his matches, but that didn't stop them wanting to see him get at least one moment of glory, in spite of how unlikely that ever was. Like I said, I don't get how you don't get it - underdog, big personality, sells well, makes people laugh = popular undercard guy.

Haven't seen BOLA yet, but congrats to the PWG crowd for upping the fedora factor of wrestling audiences with a "you're a goddess" chant directed towards Candice LeRae. *cringe*

strobogo

Banned
Dope episode of MNW. The most accurate one, at least. No bullshit revisionist history about how WWE also had a great cruiser division, or that the cruisers made no impact. In fact, it was the most "WCW was dope" episode yet. TMF got a ton of love. La Parka got a shout out from Norman Smiley in a talking head segment. The "who are you to doubt El Dandy" promo was included even if it cut out right before that part. The cruisers impact on the in ring style of the next 15 years was acknowledged, particularly as it concerns to guys like Bryan and Punk. Guys like Flair and Bret put the cruisers over as the best part of WCW. Then there was actually acknowledging Benoit, which left me legit shook. I mean, all of the talking heads had any Benoit references cut out, all of the WCW stuff had Benoit missing, but once the Radicalz were shown on Raw, he was shown an the call naming all four of them was left in. Then the next month or two's worth of backstage segments with them were shown with Benoit intact.

Worst ring announcer in the history of the company. Annoying voice and terrible annunciation. Anyone remember JEEEEEAAAAAANNNNN CEEEEEEEEENNNNUUUHHH? Yeah, me too. Good move by (I'm assuming) Triple H. Bring back the Fink or the guy who used to do Smackdown, he was pretty damn good. Ring announcers need to have big, booming, surly voices - I don't buy into a guy as much if his name is being announced by a guy like Roberts.

Omega

Banned
I suddenly feel like I should have watched Main Event.

i dont understand how sandow doesn't get pushed more

he's taken every stupid gimmick they give him and made the best of it

Did he even get fed to Cena? he somehow just had his career killed and i dont ever remember him being fed to Cena

strobogo

Banned
i dont understand how sandow doesn't get pushed more

he's taken every stupid gimmick they give him and made the best of it

Did he even get fed to Cena? he somehow just had his career killed and i dont ever remember him being fed to Cena

Yes. That's why his career was killed. He was unable to cash in on Cena, then Cena beat him again just to prove the point that Sandow wasn't shit and he's been in a free fall ever since until the stunt double stuff.

Worst ring announcer in the history of the company. Annoying voice and terrible annunciation. Anyone remember JEEEEEAAAAAANNNNN CEEEEEEEEENNNNUUUHHH? Yeah, me too. Good move by (I'm assuming) Triple H. Bring back the Fink or the guy who used to do Smackdown, he was pretty damn good. Ring announcers need to have big, booming, surly voices - I don't buy into a guy as much if his name is being announced by a guy like Roberts.
Every ring announcer they have now is a woman outside of Byron Saxton in training on house shows.

Top Bottom