• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Omega

Banned
Yes. That's why his career was killed. He was unable to cash in on Cena, then Cena beat him again just to prove the point that Sandow wasn't shit and he's been in a free fall ever since until the stunt double stuff.

of course

i don't even remember it but not surprising it happen.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
You know, seeing these pages, with ongoing intelligent discussions makes me realize just how great WrestleGAF is. This is, I believe, the best wrestling community on the net.

But I can only say that because before my account was approved, I used to lurk WrestleGAF, and it really put a desire in me to discuss wrestling with others. I went to some other wrestling forums, and they were filled with complete, total idiots yelling at each other. I wouldn't have experienced that if you guys hadn't gotten my hopes up so high. Because of that, I just want to say fuck you to every single one of you. I'm never going to get those five or so hours of my life back, and it's all your fault.

strobogo

Banned
WWE was doing "season premiere" stuff as early as 1995. The last two Raws before Summerslam make multiple references to the start of the Fall season and what not. They've been doing it consistently on Smackdown for years, though. I thought it was weird when everyone made a big deal out of how weird/stupid the season premiere of Raw was a few weeks ago. It's not new at all, even in modern WWE.

Anth0ny

Another great quote from Daniel Bryan on this week's Monday Night War, regarding the cruiserweights:

"The guys that I liked never got any recognition. Here's a character I'm very attached to and to see him not progress is 1: frustrating, and 2: you lose interest. Even though he's having great matches you lose interest because this match doesn't mean anything. He can win or lose this match and it doesn't make a difference, he's not going to move up the card."

Amazing how this applies to so many guys on the current roster. Amazing that they talk about how WCW went to shit every week, yet so much of this booking reminds me of the current WWE product.

DiscoJon

Banned
With all this talk about WCW Cruiserweights, I hope you guys are down with November being Blitzkrieg appreciation month.
02.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Another great quote from Daniel Bryan on this week's Monday Night War, regarding the cruiserweights:

"The guys that I liked never got any recognition. Here's a character I'm very attached to and to see him not progress is 1: frustrating, and 2: you lose interest. Even though he's having great matches you lose interest because this match doesn't mean anything. He can win or lose this match and it doesn't make a difference, he's not going to move up the card."

Amazing how this applies to so many guys on the current roster. Amazing how they talk about how how WCW went to shit every week, yet so much of this booking reminds me of the current WWE product.

Even better is that they made a point to show that DOESN'T happen in WWE, by showing how the cruisers that jumped ship ended up as top guys (Eddie, Jericho, and Rey) and how the cruisers made it possible for guys like Punk and Bryan to win the title. Doing these docs should make it very clear to WWE how similar they are to WCW after reaching the point of no return. It should be a doc series on how to not repeat the past as much as it is anything else.

Omega

Banned
lol, watching this MNW episode and when they start talking about how WWE tried to launch their light heavyweights, you see this roided up dude coming out.

Figures Vince would miss the point. "Hey, they like those small guys over at WCW, lets get small guys, but also be meatheads!"

strobogo

Banned
All you need to know about the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship is that Gillberg is the longest reigning champion. The only guy to even come close was That Motherfucker, and Gillberg still had 100 days on him. Unless you're counting the period before 1997 where it made more appearances on WCW television that WWF TV.

Amazing how this applies to so many guys on the current roster. Amazing how they talk about how how WCW went to shit every week, yet so much of this booking reminds me of the current WWE product.

Yep MNW is pretty introspective toward today's product

Cesaro is the new melanko

Omega

Banned
did they edit Jericho's debut in this episode?

I remember it being way louder than that. One of the biggest pops I ever remember hearing

Legit shook that WWE didn't cut Benoit out of the Radicalz on the latest Monday Night War. They cut him out of all the WCW stuff, but then showed the whole group in the crowd at Raw with all of them being named. Then some more Benoit stuff in that first month or so after jumping.
Keith David mentioned him or one of the wrestlers?

Cagey

Banned
Yep MNW is pretty introspective toward today's product

Cesaro is the new melanko
Cesaro needs to realize this and evolve as a character. In ring ability isn't the only aspect of being a pro wrestler. He could be given a push but he needs to be more than Really Good In Ring Guy for such a push to have a lasting impact.

Cesaro needs to realize this and evolve as a character. In ring ability isn't the only aspect of being a pro wrestler. He could be given a push but he needs to be more than Really Good In Ring Guy for such a push to have a lasting impact.

Yea dude was a ghost on commentary . Just give him a sthatham transporter gimmick

Cagey

Banned
Yea dude was a ghost on commentary . Just give him a sthatham transporter gimmick
Given I've watched The Transporter roughly 30 times I'm for that.

Cesaro can't get away with bad ass silent heel though. He seems naturally goofy and smiley. He could perhaps succeed as a smug, arrogant bag of dicks with that obnoxious smirk. Anything is better than nothing.

Alucard

Banned
Yes. That's why his career was killed. He was unable to cash in on Cena, then Cena beat him again just to prove the point that Sandow wasn't shit and he's been in a free fall ever since until the stunt double stuff.

You remember how many people were saying the match still elevated Sandow and was probably the start of something big for him? Yeah.

njean777

That sucks, sorry man. Do you really feel like watching Raw tonight?

No, I am not going to watch it until tomorrow to be honest. Just want to make sure if I am going to waste my time that at least Ambrose was on. I watch the Hulu cuts so I am not wasting 3 hours, I only allow that for PPV's.

I still find it amusing that you guys don't get that the pompous overconfident heel falling to the injured super hero babyface despite the heel having all the advantages is a wrestling story as old as time.

In other words, when you support the baddies, don't be disappoint when he loses in a forum where the hero usually wins.

You mean when creative stuck him with that fucking ridiculous gimmick that was going nowhere? That shit was trash until he got stuck paired with The Miz.

I'm pissed that we couldn't have Ambrose/Cena at HiAC.

I still find it amusing that you guys don't get that the pompous overconfident heel falling to the injured super hero babyface despite the heel having all the advantages is a wrestling story as old as time.

In other words, when you support the baddies, don't be disappoint when he loses in a forum where the hero usually wins.

I'm just going to re-post what I said earlier, as it pretty much sums up why people have a right to be pissed off about "the good guy beating the bad guy":

The "build up the heel so the big babyface hero can defeat him" idea is not bad in and of itself. The problem is with how that story is booked when Cena is involved and the fact that after being built for Cena, creative (read: Vince) ceases to give a shit about the guy Cena beat because, well, he's served his purpose. Keeping the heel strong after his defeat helps both that character and the babyface that beat him, but WWE has no interest in doing that, so the monster heel gets sent to midcard hell. So the idea isn't bad, the execution is just consistently terrible.

I'm just going to re-post what I said earlier, as it pretty much sums up why people have a right to be pissed off about "the good guy beating the bad guy":

The "build up the heel so the big babyface hero can defeat him" idea is not bad in and of itself. The problem is with how that story is booked when Cena is involved and the fact that after being built for Cena, creative (read: Vince) ceases to give a shit about the guy Cena beat because, well, he's served his purpose. Keeping the heel strong after his defeat helps both that character and the babyface that beat him, but WWE has no interest in doing that, so the monster heel gets sent to midcard hell. So the idea isn't bad, the execution is just consistently terrible.

Sure, I'll happily admit that WWE creative beyond the main event sucks much of the time. But, that doesn't make John Cena the worst human on the face of the planet who deserves to have his legs broken because he doesn't shoot in the middle of the match and give wrestler y the title.

It seems a lot of people hate Cena when they should really hate Vince, since even in the Observer, there's been almost no stories, aside from that one Summerslam, which even Edge & Jericho has said was overblown, about Cena stopping people from being pushed, when there were stories about Hogan being an ass, and hell, even Austin refused to do storylines with Jarrett and Billy Gunn after he became a main eventer.

Sure, I'll happily admit that WWE creative beyond the main event sucks much of the time. But, that doesn't make John Cena the worst human on the face of the planet who deserves to have his legs broken because he doesn't shoot in the middle of the match and give wrestler y the title.

It seems a lot of people hate Cena when they should really hate Vince, since even in the Observer, there's been almost no stories, aside from that one Summerslam, which even Edge & Jericho has said was overblown, about Cena stopping people from being pushed, when there were stories about Hogan being an ass, and hell, even Austin refused to do storylines with Jarrett and Billy Gunn after he became a main eventer.

Oh I don't blame Cena at all. As I said, it's creative and Vince's lack of giving a shit that leads to the guys becoming jokes. Cena's only involvement in the whole thing is the promos he typically does when he deconstructs a guy's gimmick (Del Rio) or tries to make a joke out of it (Wyatt). Those are things Cena does that are absolutely detrimental to the guys he's paired with, and he has the power to say no to that bullshit and doesn't. But yes, that all could be less problematic if anyone was booked strong coming out of a feud with Cena, which they almost certainly never are.

Ceener don know how ter work with the peebles. Plane ann smipple.

But when yer got all of der power and all of der right werds ter say yer dont haventa, yanna what i squrr?

As a resooty her never make nerbody better.

Oh I don't blame Cena at all. As I said, it's creative and Vince's lack of giving a shit that leads to the guys becoming jokes. Cena's only involvement in the whole thing is the promos he typically does when he deconstructs a guy's gimmick (Del Rio) or tries to make a joke out of it (Wyatt). Those are things Cena does that are absolutely detrimental to the guys he's paired with, and he has the power to say no to that bullshit and doesn't. But yes, that all could be less problematic if anyone was booked strong coming out of a feud with Cena, which they almost certainly never are.

Right. But, I don't think Cena is not saying 'no' to these promos because he wants to destroy Bray Wyatt's career. He's doing them because that's what he's always done. I mean, it's not like he spent 10 years on the indies. He went from UPW for a few months to Ohio Valley to the main roster.

I was talking more to the numerous pages of people blaming Cena for every bad decision simply because he doesn't have a great booking mind. I mean, can any of us really say we wouldn't just go along with it if we were Cena because we were making millions of dollars and having sex with Nikki Bella every night?

Top Bottom