• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Alucard

Banned
Still haven't watched all of last week's Raw. Stopped mid-way through Rusev vs. Big Show, which had solid pre-match segments and buildup. The match is quite good so far too.

But yeah, I watch Raw -hoping- that something good or interesting happens...and that Paige and AJ stop their dumb as dirt storyline.

Gonna watch and write about ROH tonight and let the WWE stuff on my DVR accumulate a bit more.

It's insanely depressing that I'm enjoying Total Divas a lot more than Raw right now
ÉEehhhh. Even the NXT Women's division is more compelling than anything on Raw or Raw regurgitated on Friday night. It's too bad since Veronica's departure their aren't any newcomers on the horizon or talent they could go after.

Alucard

Banned
It's insanely depressing that I'm enjoying Total Divas a lot more than Raw right now

It's okay, man. We're all on this bland ride with you.

Based on Raw, Orton vs. Cena is main eventing HiaC. Pretty sure that was Vince's decision thinking he needs name value at the top of the card. Hard to argue with the logic, but it still sucks for regular fans.

Aiii

So not worth it

Raw is really really bad right now, so yeah.

And as camp as Total Divas is, it's compelling, storylines have a clear goal, a defined beginning and an end. Shit makes sense in that show.

Ultratech

These Motherfuckers.

Hjz68dw.jpg

Dat animation.

(Especially when the hole by the T-Rex just straight up disappears, then the Triceratops comes through.)

Raw is really really bad right now, so yeah.

And as camp as Total Divas is, it's compelling, storylines have a clear goal, a defined beginning and an end. Shit makes sense in that show.

Sad but true.

joelseph

I'd like Dean Ambrose to throw my bachelor party. Just hire a bunch of strippers we can motorboat while they sing the CZW theme

My girl looks over at me last night during the episode and says "You would want Dean to throw your bachelor party, wouldn't you?"

Of course I would!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's the life expectancy on Saturns? I got my second Dreamcast, and that's worked out fine. But I really have an urge to play Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Fighter Kids. And Megamix.

Hasney

What's the life expectancy on Saturns? I got my second Dreamcast, and that's worked out fine. But I really have an urge to play Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Fighter Kids. And Megamix.

Mines still going. Just remember to replace the battery if it needs it as some games screw up without it.

Think the drive is a lot more sturdy than the DCs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how anyone can defend Zwarte Piet, that shit is so racist.

I could see the uhaa to WWE rumours being right

His natural charisma is amazing, although he doesn't like dancing so that could be an issue.

There's a Willie Mack sized opening as well

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Uhaa Nation is so much fun to watch, I'd love to see him weekly on NXT.

Also Ox Baker died :( He's as punk rock as wrasslin' gets.

UHajLxo.gif

Best wrestling shirts in the business.

Uhaa's one of those guys who can just instantly win over a crowd, even before he's hit all the ridiculously athletic moves in his repertoire. Dude's awesome.

Sad to hear about Ox Baker, I know he wasn't in great health these days. Watched an ROH show a few weeks ago where he randomly shows up to attack Dusty, was very random.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't know how anyone can defend Zwarte Piet, that shit is so racist.

I guess this is aimed at me and I'm supposed to go "NO, IT IS NOT!"

Because I agree, it's racist and should be changed, unfortunately people have tried to force the issue and it's beyond the point of reasonable discussion and it won't change because people feel threatened by the change, so I'm staying the fuck out of it until things cool down and shit can be done about it. Neither side has any interest in being reasonable and coming to a resolution though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Because I agree, it's racist and should be changed, unfortunately people have tried to force the issue and it's beyond the point of reasonable discussion and it won't change because people feel threatened by the change, so I'm staying the fuck out of it until things cool down and shit can be done about it. Neither side has any interest in being reasonable and coming to a resolution though.

No, in relation to the blackface thread

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In that thread = a bunch of people who don't know what actual blackface is. That Walking Dead cosplay isn't racist what so ever.

Wrong, it doesn't have to be derogatory or the context to be racist for it to be racist.

(edited and added in a bit of an explanation)

strobogo

Banned

Motherfucker, not everything is about you.

cowardlytaker.jpg

Sephzilla

Wrong, it doesn't have to be derogatory or the context to be racist for it to be racist.

(edited and added in a bit of an explanation)

I think it does.

She's trying to emulate a character she wants to look like. She isn't being derogatory or demeaning to African Americans in any way. If she was walking around dressed like this holding a bucket of chicken or eating a watermelon or *insert offensive stereotype here* then it would be racist.

This, below, is blackface. It's offensive as fuck because it's a caricature that's meant to portray "LOL look at me I'm one of those inferior things"

RogerSterlingBlackFace11-460x281.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think it does.

She's trying to emulate a character she wants to look like. She isn't being derogatory or demeaning to African Americans in any way. If she was walking around dressed like this holding a bucket of chicken or eating a watermelon or *insert stereotype here* then it would be racist.

This, below, is blackface. It's offensive as fuck because it's a caricature that's meant to portray "LOL look at me I'm one of those inferior things"

Like I said, there's a base level of racism that isn't necessarily meant to be offensive or negative, but is still there. It's still racist. Listen to the people in that thread that are telling you this.

You can be racist and not be shitty about it - racism doesn't "require" a bucket of chicken and watermelon. Even something that is "well intentioned" can still be racist.

Aiii

So not worth it
Motherfucker, not everything is about you.

Excuse me, I'm sure you can understand that after being called out about Zwarte Piet several times in the past in this thread (by Sunny, too) that my mind would go there.

Really no reason to respond like you do, though.

Sephzilla

Like I said, there's a base level of racism that isn't necessarily meant to be offensive or negative, but is still there. It's still racist. Listen to the people in that thread that are telling you this.

You can be racist and not be shitty about it - racism doesn't "require" a bucket of chicken and watermelon. Even something that is "well intentioned" can still be racist.

I'm sorry but that's a load of bullshit.

Alucard

Banned
Wrestler battling cancer:
http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/getwelltrav

sjs69.png

Kris Travis is one of the fastest rising professional wrestlers in the UK. His name and reputation have quickly been spreading. Travis was to be a much anticipated part of the upcoming collaboration between ROH and Preston City Wrestling.

Recently, Kris Travis went public with his battle with cancer. It has taken him out of action for the near future. Travis wants his fans to know he's fighting back on the road to recovery, but the wrestling world wants HIM to know he has our full support.

Athletes from all over the planet have come forward to support Kris Travis, and that includes Ring of Honor. PCW has posted more information and links about Travis and his career as part of the #GetWellTrav campaign.

Kris Travis will definitely be missed on November 28th when ROH and PCW come together for SUPERSHOW OF HONOR. But every single wrestler and fan there will be supporting his fight and waiting for his return!

Aiii

So not worth it

The problem I have is that, fine, it's racist, you go to the girl and explain it and likely she'll understand the nuances (partly based on cultural differences) and not do it again.

Instead, she's vilified from the get-go, called out for using "blackface" and posted all over the web to shit over.

That's not helping anyone.

Sephzilla

Look, if you don't want to believe it, that's on you - it is what it is. It's important to listen to how other people feel about it.

I would say the same should apply to you. You kind of seem to want to label it racist and walk away and not listen to anyone else explain why it rightfully shouldn't be viewed as racist.

There are fucking miles of difference between making your face literally black and giving yourself big goofy red lips and making yourself accurately look like a different ethnicity. I'm assuming you found Cloud Atlus offensive as fuck too?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would say the same should apply to you.

There are fucking miles of difference between making your face literally black and giving yourself big goofy red lips and making yourself accurately look like a different ethnicity. I'm assuming you found Cloud Atlus offensive as fuck too?

Just listen to others. This isn't a bad post here:

But the baggage of the shit white people did to black people, the portrayals, the mockery, the insensitive "comedy", all that baggage still exists. This cosplay isn't racist, but it is ignorant in our culture for a white person to pretend to be a black person. Will it always? I don't know. But especially with all of the casual racism/bigotry going on in our society right now. TODAY we should be a little more sensitive to these issues than, whatever I exist in my own little world and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Sorry, your part of a shitty society. Try a little harder to think about how other people will interpret your actions.

Never saw Cloud Atlas, no clue what that references yet

Sephzilla

Just listen to others. This isn't a bad post here:

There's an infinite loop in that logic though. If we constantly keep shunning people from doing artistic stuff like this because of the baggage of the past, we're never going to get to a point where it's okay to do artistic stuff like this because of baggage from the past. And no progress will ever actually get made. Too many people just want to take the lazy route and throw a blanket statement over everything instead of actually showing good examples of not racist versus actually racist.

Meh, I'm aborting mission on this topic though - cuz wrasslin.

.We know that Redditor does not have his pulse on the indies and has been extremely dubious in the past. I remember his bogus report of the breaking up of the World's Cutest Tag Team and the signing of Candace. It was ridiculous.

strobogo

Banned
Excuse me, I'm sure you can understand that after being called out about Zwarte Piet several times in the past in this thread (by Sunny, too) that my mind would go there.

Really no reason to respond like you do, though.

Because it wasn't about you, and it is a "quote" from a wrestler, with a funny picture of said wrestler included. As in, lol look at that joke. In a wrestling thread where the "motherfucker not everything is about you" story gets mentioned on a fairly regular basis. So...I guess if that offends you, it is your right to be upset.

JavyOO7

Bret Hart book is getting really engrossing. Key moments from what I read yesterday include Bret ranting on Ultimate Warrior for not seeing the Make-a-Wish Kid and staying cooped up in his dressing room all day. Bret having to carry British Bulldog in their summer slam match at Wembley Stadium because Bulldog forgot all the spots. Bret winning the World Championship belt. Bret talking about all his great matches with Curt... I love the segments about Mr. Perfect. Bret puts him over like no tomorrow, borhterjackdude!

Then Bret ranting on and on about Hogan not wanting to relinquish the belt to him after Hogan said he would pay the favor back. Bret wondering whether Hogan and/or Vince are playing him, etc.

I just can't get over it. The further I get with the book the more Bret thinks he's the shit... which I guess is fine. I actually found it rather amusing how much Bret is putting himself over. How highly he thinks of himself. Real talk, it actually makes me question whether I should adopt an approach serious to Bret. I can see where the confidence comes from. He really did work his tail off to get to where he was at that point.

After Bret's book I think I'm going to read all of Jericho's books.

Cloud Atlas wasn't so much offensive as silly-looking. But it was absolutely necessary for them to convey the point they were trying to make.

Top Bottom