• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Sephzilla

5. Seven Samurai
4. For A Few Dollar More
3. City of God
2. Pulp Fiction
1. Robocop

i9PIB933TszBP.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Goodfellas isn't horrible at all, just way too long imho. But you can't beat that opening, goddamn.

I also really liked Funny Games.

Gonzalez

Banned
Goodfellas is pretty good for an abridged version of Henry Hill's documented mob life in Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family. But if you want a more fleshed out story set in a similar universe Sopranos has you covered.

Goodfellas isn't horrible at all, just way too long imho.

It's long, but the plot moves at a 100mph. Of all the times I've seen that film never have I felt that the movie dragged one bit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Goodfellas is pretty good for an abridged version of Henry Hill's documented mob life in Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family. But if you want a more fleshed out story set in a similar universe Sopranos has you covered.

Plus, it's superior in every way.

Fav Five Movies
1. Ghostbusters
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
4. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
5. Curse of the Black Pearl

Fav Five Zelda Games
1. A Link Between Worlds
2. Link's Awakening
3. A Link to the Past
4. Wind Waker HD
5. The Minish Cap

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda games generally suck. Haven't been worth playing since the SNES days, really.

bjork

Zelda games generally suck. Haven't been worth playing since the SNES days, really.

To be the boss, you have to be willing to make statements of truth, even if the truth hurts some non-believers. ^5

Top Zeldas
1. Zelda 2
2. Zelda 1
3. LTTP

There are no zeldas after that. OOT most overrated thing in ever.

MOVIEZ

1. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
2. Robocop
3. Dumb and Dumber
4. Rocky IV
5. Pulp Fiction

Yeah never had much of a personal reverence to OOT but always respected it's contributions to 3D games. We'd all be playing games like Bubsy 3D without it.

Kaladin

Fave Five Authors

1. Brandon Sanderson
2. Stephen King
3. Neil Gaiman
4. Patrick Rothfuss
5. Anne Rice

I love world builders.

I need to read more Tolkien and Robert Jordan before they go up there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
MOVIEZ

1. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
2. Robocop
3. Dumb and Dumber
4. Rocky IV
5. Pulp Fiction

Rocky's a tough one for me to pick a favorite with. IV has Dolph Lundgren, and is kind of the pinnacle of the 80s insanity that grew into the 90s. At the same time, Rocky III was the first non-Apollo focused movie and was knee deep in the 80s, and on top of that Rocky had to deal with a very sound loss and the death of Mick.

Rocky 1 was a love story, and very powerful, but very different than 3 and 4. And Balboa was a GREAT send-off for the character. II doesn't get enough credit but honestly it doesn't hold up to the others.

We don't talk about V, period.

strobogo

Banned
ALL Zelda games suck. You know what are pretty much always stupid? Little fucking elves. That's why I wish Neville would drop the NXT Championship.

I swear I'm not picking on you but

Alien and Aliens are SUCH different movies, you can't group them together.

They're not grouped in that way, just tied together as a generally watch one and then the other. It's my favourite franchise.

ALL Zelda games suck. You know what are pretty much always stupid? Little fucking elves. That's why I wish Neville would drop the NXT Championship.

Watch your drunken mouth. I can let a lot of things slide, but you start picking on the Geordie Gargoyle....

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They're not grouped in that way, just tied together as a generally watch one and then the other. It's my favourite franchise.

Which of the two do you prefer, if you could only watch one for the next 10 years?

Fave Five Jackie Chan films

1. Project A
2. Police Story
3. The Young Master
4. Drunken Master
5. Drunken Master II

Fave Five Authors

1. Brandon Sanderson
2. Stephen King
3. Neil Gaiman
4. Patrick Rothfuss
5. Anne Rice

I love world builders.

This is a good one.

1. Terry Pratchett
2. Kurt Vonnegut
3. Gene Wolfe
4. Harlan Ellison
5. Fritz Leiber

Sephzilla

Rocky's a tough one for me to pick a favorite with. IV has Dolph Lundgren, and is kind of the pinnacle of the 80s insanity that grew into the 90s. At the same time, Rocky III was the first non-Apollo focused movie and was knee deep in the 80s, and on top of that Rocky had to deal with a very sound loss and the death of Mick.

Rocky 1 was a love story, and very powerful, but very different than 3 and 4. And Balboa was a GREAT send-off for the character. II doesn't get enough credit but honestly it doesn't hold up to the others.

We don't talk about V, period.

Rocky 3 is probably my favorite Rocky movie simply because it paved the way for literally every comeback storyline in movies and wrasslin thereafter.

I actually kind of admire Rocky V for trying to do something different.

bjork

Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time pretty much paved the way for most 3D adventure gaming as we know it.

Real talk though - Majora's Mask is a better game than Ocarina of Time.

I'll grant that Mario was and is amazing. Take z-targeting out of Zelda, and what exactly did it give to the gaming world? A hatred for empty overworlds and menus that are horrible to navigate.

Also, I caught you pre-edit, I'm too old to be a hipster. I was too old when OOT came out, and I recognized it as subpar back then. I was too busy playing real games on PS1.

bold made me laugh, well done :)

Sephzilla

I'll grant that Mario was and is amazing. Take z-targeting out of Zelda, and what exactly did it give to the gaming world? A hatred for empty overworlds and menus that are horrible to navigate.

Also, I caught you pre-edit, I'm too old to be a hipster. I was too old when OOT came out, and I recognized it as subpar back then. I was too busy playing real games on PS1.

Real fucking talk. The PS1 era games pretty much don't hold up a single fucking bit.

Taking out Z-Targeting out of Zelda is a pretty huge omission though when you consider how many games these days use some variation of it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Beetlejuice is legitimately brilliant and one of those weird movies that kids get something COMPLETELY different out of it than grown folks. Love it.

strobogo

Banned

Watch your drunken mouth. I can let a lot of things slide, but you start picking on the Geordie Gargoyle....

Fook yew, m8. Neville is the definition of vanilla midget. He has no presence or charisma. He's just really jacked and can flip around.

Which of the two do you prefer, if you could only watch one for the next 10 years?

Alien has the better story, pacing and general direction. Aliens loses points for rehashing the Star Trek II and III OST, so I'm forever getting Klingons and Xenomorphs mixed up now.

Rocky I is an legitimately good movie, the rest are enjoyable but lose the appeal of the first one. And yes, fuck 5.

Yeah, Rocky I is insane and I've totally come to appreciate it more as I've got older for some reason. I've found a whole new level of respect for Stallone too, I had no idea he had such a major part in it's development (even if he did rip the story off a real Boxer's career). They were on Netflix recently, if you want to watch them again.

And that is exactly why I choose Rocky IV.

Sephzilla

Alien has the better story, pacing and general direction. Aliens loses points for rehashing the Star Trek II and III OST, so I'm forever getting Klingons and Xenomorphs mixed up now.

I'm not sure I agree here but it's hard as fuck to compare Alien to Aliens. I think I kind of prefer space Vietnam while Ripley overcomes her PTSD versus slasher movie set in space. I strongly disagree on pacing though and kind of think it's the weak point of Alien - especially in the director's cut.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Random Stupid movies I like

1) Waterboy
2) Baseketball
3) Encino Man
4) Mallrats
5) Ace Ventura

Encino Man is dope as fuck. Pauly Shore had some legit great stupid movies in the 90s. Encino Man, Bio-Dome, Son in Law - all shit, but all pleasant.

Fook yew, m8. Neville is the definition of vanilla midget. He has no presence or charisma. He's just really jacked and can flip around.

ibzOadocv7Hz5B.gif

You are Breeze.

I find Neville's accent kinda cool. I constantly just mimic his accent whenever he talks and it's so much fun to do.

Encino Man is dope as fuck. Pauly Shore had some legit great stupid movies in the 90s. Encino Man, Bio-Dome, Son in Law - all shit, but all pleasant.

In the Army Now is a film I watched A LOT as a kid. So by law, I naturally have to love it.

Gonzalez

Banned
Beetlejuice is legitimately brilliant and one of those weird movies that kids get something COMPLETELY different out of it than grown folks. Love it.

I was one the kids who watched the cartoon before the movie. So I totally thought Geena Davis, and Alec Baldwin were the villains when I first saw it(I had this same problem with Terminator, and Ghostbusters). Also crossing wooden bridges scare the shit out of me because of that movie.

Anth0ny

Top 5 movies:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Aladdin
4. Toy Story
5. Dark Knight

yeah, kids shit. #6 is Terminator 1 cause T1>>>>>T2

Top 5 Zeldas:
1. Majora's Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Wind Waker
4. Link Between Worlds (need to replay, might be #3)
5 Zelda II

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was one the kids who watched the cartoon before the movie. So I totally thought Geena Davis, and Alec Baldwin were the villains when I first saw it(I had this same problem with Terminator, and Ghostbusters). Also crossing wooden bridges scare the shit out of me because of that movie.

Fuckin LOL, that's funny to me. I loved Otho, he's such a shithead. Everyone in that movie was just fantastic.

On the topic of stupid movies, I wish people would stop bringing up Batman and Robin as an enjoyably cheesy movie. It has awful cheap looking sets, terrible costume design, the main bat-family actors are wooden as fuck, annoying overuse of dutch angles and a repetitive as hell soundtrack

Beetlejuice is just one of those movies that when it plays on a channel while you're channel surfing, you just have to stop and sit through it.

I need that shit on Blu-Ray/DVD or whatever.

Top Bottom