• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

I should probably talk about wrestling. Watched most of BOLA night 3, Zack Sabre Jr. vs Kyle O'Reilly is awwwwwwesome, as expected. Some ridiculously smooth chain wrestling in the outset, both guys are so accomplished at their craft and Zack is probably one of the best in the world today at picking a bodypart and working it over. I may have enjoyed the match with Cole a little more, as it had an entirely different feel, but what a great showing for Zack.

Random Stupid movies I like

1) Waterboy
2) BASEketball
3) Encino Man
4) Mallrats
5) Ace Ventura

Great list, I'd go with;

1. Wayne's World
2. Mallrats
3. Ace Ventura
4. BASEketball
5. Bio-Dome

I still find it hard to believe that Michael Keaton managed to be both Beetlejuice and Batman. Growing up I saw Batman as a kid first, so that was my defining image of Michael Keaton... when I found out he was Beetlejuice too I thought my friend was taking the piss.

I think that's the first time I realised what 'acting' really was, as lame as that sounds. Probably 11 at this point.

Random Stupid movies I like

1) Waterboy
2) BASEketball
3) Encino Man
4) Mallrats
5) Ace Ventura

Hell yeah BASEketball and Waterboy!

Sephzilla

Five sequels that get more hate than they deserve
1) Die Hard 2
2) RoboCop 2
3) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
4) Iron Man 3
5) Return of the Jedi

strobogo

Banned
I could make a fave five of things I hate on this page

Goodfellas
Zelda
Step Brothers
Dumb and Dumber
Blade Runner
Aiii-Wait that one will get me banned I think
Pineapple Express

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I still find it hard to believe that Michael Keaton managed to be both Beetlejuice and Batman. Growing up I saw Batman as a kid first, so that was my defining image of Michael Keaton... when I found out he was Beetlejuice too I thought my friend was taking the piss.

I think that's the first time I realised what 'acting' really was, as lame as that sounds. Probably 11 at this point.

He was also dope-ass Ray Nicolet in Jackie Brown/Out of Sight

Jackie Brown is easily the best Tarantino movie out there. Hands down. That movie's a goddamn masterpiece.

Anth0ny

On the topic of stupid movies, I wish people would stop bringing up Batman and Robin as an enjoyably cheesy movie. It has awful cheap looking sets, terrible costume design, the main bat-family actors are wooden as fuck, annoying overuse of dutch angles and a repetitive as hell soundtrack

allow me to break the ice

jmdajr

Beetlejuice is legitimately brilliant and one of those weird movies that kids get something COMPLETELY different out of it than grown folks. Love it.

LoL. Maybe I should do that. I remember seeing Naked Gun recently and it was a whole new ball game than what I remember.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also speaking of George Clooney due to Out of Sight, Michael Clayton was one FUCKING HELL AMAZING movie. God damn that man is amazing.

Wayne's World represents all the horse crap present in the 90's.

That movie was fucking shit.

I don't hate a lot of things and am somewhat less critical on movies than most people on GAF, but FUCK WAYNE'S WORLD.

He was also dope-ass Ray Nicolet in Jackie Brown/Out of Sight

Jackie Brown is easily the best Tarantino movie out there. Hands down. That movie's a goddamn masterpiece.

I watched that the other day and I couldn't get into it, it probably wasn't giving it enough attention. Just seemed so low key for a Tarantino movie.

I could make a fave five of things I hate on this page

Goodfellas
Zelda
Step Brothers
Dumb and Dumber
Blade Runner
Aiii-Wait that one will get me banned I think
Pineapple Express

Are we back into the alcoholic/depressed stage of the Strobogo Cycle? :( Too much Religion and not enough wrestling, my friend.

There are people who hate Blade Runner? The thought that such a thing could be possible hadn't ever crossed my mind.

Also, random aside, but how fucking awesome is Time Bandits?

bjork

Real fucking talk. The PS1 era games pretty much don't hold up a single fucking bit.

Taking out Z-Targeting out of Zelda is a pretty huge omission though when you consider how many games these days use some variation of it.

Take z-targeting out of Zelda and some other game comes up with it. It would still exist.

Also, I'm sure it boils down to a matter of personal preference, but for my money there have to be more PS1 games that hold up than N64. Both have some ugly games and tons of licensed trash, and the PS1 would have to have more just by way of having a library 3x that of N64. But really.

I don't hate a lot of things and am somewhat less critical on movies than most people on GAF, but FUCK WAYNE'S WORLD.

What month is this? Is it suddenly Shitopiniontober?

Anth0ny

Does Commando count as a stupid movie? If so, that's the GOAT. Pumping Iron, too. What a movie.

If we're just talking about comedies:

1. Zoolander
2. Happy Gilmore
3. Ace Venture
4. Dumb and Dumber
5. Airplane

jmdajr

There are people who hate Blade Runner? The thought that such a thing could be possible hadn't ever crossed my mind.

I'm a huge sucker for Blade Runner inspired anime. Bubblegum Crusis, A.D. Police, Cyber City Odeo 808. LOVE IT.

Gonzalez

Banned
Men in Black III is a way more superior entertaining movie, than either of the first two. Felt like a live-action version of the(even more superior) cartoon series.

Sephzilla

I don't hate Blade Runner but I didn't find it especially entertaining. Granted I watched the original cut and its been years since I've watched it.

On the topic of stupid movies, I wish people would stop bringing up Batman and Robin as an enjoyably cheesy movie. It has awful cheap looking sets, terrible costume design, the main bat-family actors are wooden as fuck, annoying overuse of dutch angles and a repetitive as hell soundtrack

But I find it entertaining for those very reasons

this is true.

Batman Forever though? Fantastic (aside from tommy lee jones)

Confession:
I've never sat through an entire Wayne's World or Bill and Ted movie.

I've always just seen bits and pieces and when I was young I confused the series.

Yes! It's a kid's movie that's totally for adults who are tripping off their tits. Some great ideas and visuals in that movie. I feel like Terry Gilliam is totally underrated as a director, as looking at his work he's made some great stuff.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
Twelve Monkeys (1995)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
Time Bandits (1981)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I watched that the other day and I couldn't get into it, it probably wasn't giving it enough attention. Just seemed so low key for a Tarantino movie.

That's part of why I love it so much. It was a quiet but intense movie. Great set design too. And Pam Grier is a goddess of cinema on every level. Fabulous woman.

Time Bandits is one of those things limeys enjoy that Americans don't, to use your vernacular, "cotton" to so well.

Blade Runner's nice but its one of those things that as I get older seems lamer, along with Alan Moore Comics and My Bloody Valentine.

Oh on the subject of Alan Moore comics holy shit v for vendetta's a great flick 8)

strobogo

Banned

Are we back into the alcoholic/depressed stage of the Strobogo Cycle? :( Too much Religion and not enough wrestling, my friend.

Yes. Too much religion and too much wrestling. And too much booze. Not enough sleep. I want out. Of everything. Out of the house. Out of the planet. Out of the train ride.

It's BORING AS FUCK. I've tried to rewatch it multiple times thinking it'd click with me. It never does. Instead it bores me stiff.

bjork

If I ever hear Tia Carrere's horrible rendition of Ballroom Blitz (or any song for that matter) one more time, I will automatically flip the nearest table within my vicinity.

Okay, that I can give you. My least favorite part too, even if I hate the original song too. But the rest of it? Come on, son.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Blade Runner on blu-ray surprised me with how goddamn great it looks. Fantastic movie, even better game!

Sephzilla

Take z-targeting out of Zelda and some other game comes up with it. It would still exist.

That's not a valid answer because you don't know that someone else would have come up with it.

Here's the weird thing about people who complain about OOT but then praise Link to the Past. A ton of the issues people have with OOT are right there in LTTP too, but Ocarina gets more hate because it's the popular one.

Ah damn, I totally forgot all about Black Dynamite.

Airplane
Hot Shots
Naked Gun
Black Dynamite

Some of the greatest spoof movies ever.

Yes. Too much religion and too much wrestling. And too much booze. Not enough sleep. I want out. Of everything. Out of the house. Out of the planet. Out of the train ride.

You were doing well earlier this year, sorry to hear it's not too good right now (unless this is a Mark Henry style work...) You still riding your bike up those stupid hills?

6134757048_6ca67e60e3.jpg

Okay, that I can give you. My least favorite part too, even if I hate the original song too. But the rest of it? Come on, son.

I'll concede, the movie has a ton of heart and definitely had some novel jokes in it. Let's just say i'm more of an Austin Powers kind of guy.

Honestly I think the reason I came off hating the movie as much as I did was mostly due to the part of seeing stuff like this, and the product placement scenes way before i decided to watch the whole movie. So it probably ruined it for me. Like Tia Carrere.

strobogo

Banned
¡HarlequinPanic!;135424789 said:
this is true.

Batman Forever though? Fantastic (aside from tommy lee jones)

Bullshit. Batman Forever is far and away the worst movie in the series. It tries to straddle the line of Shoe Maker and Burton and fails miserably at both. It's garbage all around. Val is fucking awfuuuuuuul as Bruce/Batman. The only thing that makes it half tolerable is the over acting double team of TLJ and Ace Ventura. It's UGLY. It's boring. It's stupid. It isn't funny. It isn't intense. It isn't cool. It isn't so bad it's good. It's a shitty movie to try to sit through.

Sephzilla

Bullshit. Batman Forever is far and away the worst movie in the series. It tries to straddle the line of Shoe Maker and Burton and fails miserably at both. It's garbage all around. Val is fucking awfuuuuuuul as Bruce/Batman. The only thing that makes it half tolerable is the over acting double team of TLJ and Ace Ventura. It's UGLY. It's boring. It's stupid. It isn't funny. It isn't intense. It isn't cool. It isn't so bad it's good. It's a shitty movie to try to sit through.

The scene were Bruce and Alfred piece together Riddler's puzzles and figure everything out is probably the most actual detective work done in any live action Batman movie though, Nolan's films included.

jmdajr

Airplane is its own tier of parody movie. It was so good that it made people completely forget about the movie it was a parody of.

No doubt.

There is this anime movie I like. PROJECT-AKO.
I didn't even know it was meant to be a parody. Stands as it's own as this insane fucking thing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dat pop in the theater when the T-1000 showed up in Wayne's World. Will never forget that.

I remember that too!

Man, can you all imagine how fucking DOPE it would be to see Terminator 2 and not know who the good guy or bad guy is? Fuck, that would be amazing, but it was ruined in trailers and word of mouth so fast.

strobogo

Banned
Ah damn, I totally forgot all about Black Dynamite.

Airplane
Hot Shots
Naked Gun
Black Dynamite

Some of the greatest spoof movies ever.

You were doing well earlier this year, sorry to hear it's not too good right now (unless this is a Mark Henry style work...) You still riding your bike up those stupid hills?

Haven't been on a ride all month. Did maybe 100 miles last month, down from 400 in July. I think I permanently burned my body out because I've felt like shit since then.

I have to agree with this, it is really poor. It goes beyond camp with how poor it is. Val Kilmer has no charisma as Bruce Wayne and no presence as Batman. He's just Blandman. Also TLJ's over acting is terrible, it's like he's trying to be the 60's Joker playing Two Face.

Haven't been on a ride all month. Did maybe 100 miles last month, down from 400 in July. I think I permanently burned my body out because I've felt like shit since then.

You got saddle arse? I might have made that up, but it you'll probably understand what I mean. I used to ride my bike to work a lot back in the day, and my arse was never the same. It was numb for hours.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Five sequels that get more hate than they deserve
1) Die Hard 2
2) RoboCop 2
3) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
4) Iron Man 3
5) Return of the Jedi
Funny, because I think Temple of Doom doesn't get enough hate. Die Hard 2 is just a weak movie in between two great ones, Iron Man 3 is fun, but quite a bit messy in the structure department, RoboCop 2 I haven't seen in years and Jedi, looking back upon it just isn't very good, I feel.

Sephzilla

I remember that too!

Man, can you all imagine how fucking DOPE it would be to see Terminator 2 and not know who the good guy or bad guy is? Fuck, that would be amazing, but it was ruined in trailers and word of mouth so fast.

Honestly the kept the "Arnold is the good guy" thing was kept under wraps for a remarkably long time. If Terminator 2 was made in the internet age we're in right now, that would have been spoiled a year before release.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Best Batman villains (and everything really) are in the 60s. That's the honest to god truth. Batman TV show is so fucking fun and entertaining.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly the kept the "Arnold is the good guy" thing was kept under wraps for a remarkably long time. If Terminator 2 was made in the internet age we're in right now, that would have been spoiled a year before release.

I don't know that they did - I was like 12 when it came out, and the trailer showed the T-1000 killing cops and causing mayhem. It was definitely implied at that point, there was no mystery to me. I just wish I had experienced the surprise. :(

Best Batman villains (and everything really) are in the 60s. That's the honest to god truth. Batman TV show is so fucking fun and entertaining.

Convinced everyone involved in making that were under the influence of drugs, it's too funny and zany to have been convinced otherwise. It feels like a massive in-joke.

bjork

That's not a valid answer because you don't know that someone else would have come up with it.

Here's the weird thing about people who complain about OOT but then praise Link to the Past. A ton of the issues people have with OOT are right there in LTTP too, but Ocarina gets more hate because it's the popular one.

Megaman Legends had lock-on first, but it made you stop. So the concept was already in place and just needed ironed out. Someone somewhere would've figured it out if OOT never happened.

I just don't find OOT to be the rewarding/engaging/life-defining thing that most people seem to. For me it's a math equation of boredom from lack of shit to do plus irritation from scrolling through stupid menus to change items I can't bind to face buttons, multiplied exponentially by nearly 20 years of the internet losing its gag reflex over it. I bought it day one and it just never clicked with me. I can recognize that it is highly regarded, but aside from people that say "because I like Zelda so I like this too" I've never really understood why.

Also, top 5 movies, since we're doing that:
1. Amadeus
2. Dancer in the Dark
3. Duel (the one with the big truck, yes)
I honestly don't know 4 and 5.

Top Bottom