• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Amadeus is a goddamn tour-de-force of acting skill, brilliant set design, and a fantastic goddamn story. I love that movie.

Sephzilla

Funny, because I think Temple of Doom doesn't get enough hate. Die Hard 2 is just a weak movie in between two great ones, Iron Man 3 is fun, but quite a bit messy in the structure department, RoboCop 2 I haven't seen in years and Jedi, looking back upon it just isn't very good, I feel.

Temple of Doom is a better movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark in every way. Pacing is better. Action is better. Indy is actually relevant to the ending of the movie. Temple and Last Crusade are both better.

Die Hard 2 gets shit for being "the first movie but in an airport" when Die Hard 3 in all honestly tries to copy the first movie even more blatantly than 2 did. At least Die Hard 2 didn't try to be another elaborate bank robbery. Die Hard 2 has the best set up for the catch phrase too.

Iron Man 3's okay minus the Mandarin reveal. The whining people have about Stark blowing up all of his suits is stupid because they forget he can build another 50 suits in like 3 months.

RoboCop 2 is fun, but not as good as 1.

Empire is a better movie than Jedi, but Jedi is fun. It also has the best face turn in movie history.

Convinced everyone involved in making that were under the influence of drugs, it's too funny and zany to have been convinced otherwise. It feels like a massive in-joke.

It's actually pretty close to what the comics were like in the 50s and 60s, but the Adam West show had the added benefit of actors who were WAY too into their roles.

Bullshit. Batman Forever is far and away the worst movie in the series. It tries to straddle the line of Shoe Maker and Burton and fails miserably at both. It's garbage all around. Val is fucking awfuuuuuuul as Bruce/Batman. The only thing that makes it half tolerable is the over acting double team of TLJ and Ace Ventura. It's UGLY. It's boring. It's stupid. It isn't funny. It isn't intense. It isn't cool. It isn't so bad it's good. It's a shitty movie to try to sit through.

I dunno man.

dat battleship game.

Second amadeus' brilliance.

strobogo

Banned
The thing that really bothers me about a lot (most, really) of the best 80s/early 90s action movies is they always have some reallllllly dubious stunt doubles. Die Hard 2 and Terminator 2 come to mind right away, but they certainly weren't the only ones.

RoboCop 2 is fun, but not as good as 1.

I kind of like Robocop 2, but I wouldn't call it 'fun', not compared to the first one. It's much more violent and contains a lot less humor and satire. Or maybe the humor (all the directives) just fell flat for me.

Robocop 2 and 3 were career ending movies for their directors. Hopefully Jose gets to direct again after the remake.

It's actually pretty close to what the comics were like in the 50s and 60s, but the Adam West show had the added benefit of actors who were WAY too into their roles.

I've never been a Golden/Silver-era fan of comics, I've tried to read them going back but they're so socially aware/public service announcement type of stories it's strange. It was interesting to see how the writing has changed over the years though. Those original stories were so paint-by-numbers and conservative, but considered really risque at the time.

I didn't get into Comics until the 90s, the first few I bought were the Batman/Superman double edition, with the Knightfall and Death of Superman stories combined. Good times.

Gonzalez

Banned
T2 was the first R-rated movie I ever saw in theaters.
As Biden would say...It was a big fucking deal.

That movie had probably one of the biggest marketing blitzes ever for an R-rated action flick.

...And looking back at it, outside of about 4 scenes, and a couple of f-bombs, did it really deserve that rating?

Recall

Wait someone thinks Die Hard 3 is a great movie? A movie that is a hodge podge of two seperate scripts mashed into one and that fucking horrifically bad ending.

Then again we have people here who only watch wrestling for its very worst parts so I can't be that surprised.

Sephzilla

I kind of like Robocop 2, but I wouldn't call it 'fun', not compared to the first one. It's much more violent and contains a lot less humor and satire. Or maybe the humor (all the directives) just fell flat for me.

Robocop 2 and 3 were career ending movies for their directors. Hopefully Jose gets to direct again after the remake.

PG-Era RoboCop in #2 is hilarious I think, just because he clashes with everything else.

Gonzalez

Banned
I don't know that they did - I was like 12 when it came out, and the trailer showed the T-1000 killing cops and causing mayhem. It was definitely implied at that point, there was no mystery to me. I just wish I had experienced the surprise. :(

Those trailers implied, but school yard chatter, and my sister made me think Arnold wasn't to be trusted either.

strobogo

Banned
The live action Battleship movie with Tim Riggins and Rihanna wasn't half bad, I'm not kidding.

I agree. I saw it on HBO one day and it was a perfectly enjoyable dumb summer action movie. I'd rather rewatch it over Godzilla 2014 anyway.

The Adam West Batman show was intentionally absurdist. Obviously. The producer Bill Dozier wasn't a fan of comics, so when his company was given the show, he read some and thought the only way to make that show was to be as wacky and ridiculous as possible.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Die Hard 2 gets shit for being "the first movie but in an airport" when Die Hard 3 in all honestly tries to copy the first movie even more blatantly than 2 did. At least Die Hard 2 didn't try to be another elaborate bank robbery. Die Hard 2 has the best set up for the catch phrase too.
Oh, I saw what Die Hard 2 was going for. It's not bad, but it's just that it didn't really hold my attention all that well, judging from the last time I watched it (probably due to a change in director, but at least the guy who made it would go on to direct Cliffhanger).

strobogo

Banned
Wait someone thinks Die Hard 3 is a great movie? A movie that is a hodge podge of two seperate scripts mashed into one and that fucking horrifically bad ending.

Then again we have people here who only watch wrestling for its very worst parts so I can't be that surprised.

Die Hard With a Vengeance is DOPE. Just barely under Die Hard 1. Barely. On a good day, it is better and more rewatchable. The newest one is terrible though. What a bore.

Sephzilla

Oh, I saw what Die Hard 2 was going for. It's not bad, but it's just that it didn't really hold my attention all that well, judging from the last time I watched it (probably due to a change in director, but at least the guy who made it would go on to direct Cliffhanger).

I usually watch it once every other Christmas for kicks, it's not bad. Honestly it's the only Die Hard sequel that really feels like it channels the spirit of the first movie at all. Die Hard 3 kinda sucks though.

The origin of Die Hard is fucking cool though, I think. Die Hard is adapted from a book named Nothing Lasts Forever. That book is a sequel to a book that was previously adapted into a Frank Sinatra movie. When Sinatra didn't want to do a sequel they tweaked the script to be a sequel to fucking Commando, but then Arnold turned it down so they tooled it into a stand alone movie that became Die Hard.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
CoreyGravesEntrance1.jpg

#KingOfLean
Eek, have any diva pictures surfaced I want to see how bad they are if they can't even render Corey skinny.

Gonzalez

Banned
¡HarlequinPanic!;135427177 said:
If it had 4 scenes and some f bombs then use olol
There was...

1. Arnold's bare ass
2. T-1000 stabbing John Connor's foster father through the mouth(but some of that was off screen)
3. T-1000 stabbing the cop through the eye(Probably the goriest scene)
4. Arnold cutting off the skin around his cybernetic arm
5. And maybe the scene where Dyson slowly dies from a gunshot wound.

Outside of that the movie is pretty sterile for an R-rated movie.

I agree. I saw it on HBO one day and it was a perfectly enjoyable dumb summer action movie. I'd rather rewatch it over Godzilla 2014 anyway.

The Adam West Batman show was intentionally absurdist. Obviously. The producer Bill Dozier wasn't a fan of comics, so when his company was given the show, he read some and thought the only way to make that show was to be as wacky and ridiculous as possible.

I don't know what the heck they were trying to achieve with '14 Godzilla, it's just so drab and boring. I think I enjoyed the Matthew Broderick one more to be honest.

Sephzilla

There was...

1. Arnold's bare ass
2. T-1000 stabbing John Connor's foster father through the mouth(but some of that was off screen)
3. T-1000 stabbing the cop through the eye(Probably the goriest scene)
4. Arnold cutting off the skin around his cybernetic arm
5. And maybe the scene where Dyson slowly dies from a gunshot wound.

Outside of that the movie is pretty sterile for an R-rated movie.

I would think maybe the T-800 getting fucked up near the end might have done it too? Also, Sarah Connor bleeds like motherfucker near the end after she gets shot in the leg. I dunno, it's not as R-Rated as Terminator 1 was but I think it still earns its R stripes. You could probably make a case that T1 wouldnt be R rated if you got rid of a few scenes and removed f-bombs.

Neither Terminator movie snifs RoboCop-tier of R Rated though.

Gonzalez

Banned
I would think maybe the T-800 getting fucked up near the end might have done it too? I dunno, it's not as R-Rated as Terminator 1 was but I think it still earns its R stripes. You could probably make a case that T1 wouldnt be R rated if you got rid of a few scenes and removed f-bombs.

He gets fucked up, but he's still a robot. Plus, he doesn't bleed as much as he did in first.

Fave five Bring It On movies:

5. Bring it On: Fight to the Finish - I would have cut it completely from this list but unfortunately there are only five Bring it On Movies. It basically rips off the plot of the previous two films and I felt like too much focus was spent on the romance plot, rather than friendship and squad spirit

4. Bring It On Again - I didn't mind the plot too bad but this has some of the worst acting performances in the series and has some of the lowest quality production. I also felt that Tina and Marni were some of the most annoying antagonists in the series.

3. Bring It On: All Or Nothing - This is probably the highest stakes Bring It On movie as the squads are competing to be featured in a Rihanna music video. There's also a decent fish out of water story as Hayden Panettiere has to adjust to moving to an inner city school. Rihanna is pretty much just reading off lines in her scenes but it doesn't detract much

2. Bring It On - The original and realistically probably the most watchable in the series. The production and acting is the best in this movie and it was the only one to receive a wide theatrical release. A lot of the themes established in this movie are carried throughout the series, including socio-economic culture clash, learning to create your own style, and learning to find friends in unexpected places.

1. Bring It On: In It To Win It - This is really just a sentimental favourite because it is kinda dumb, is probably the most unrealistic plot in a Bring It On movie, and it features the most musical acts. Basically the whole thing is an homage to West Side Story (even going so far as to name the rival cheer squads the Jets and the Sharks and featuring a large scales fight scene between the two). The plot is resolved with the two squads coming together as the Chets and facing off against an even more evil squad.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Warriors is my ultimate movie. It's got all the things I like

• Dudes punching dudes in the face
• Pulpy 70s music
• Shitty 70s New York
• Pretty ladies
• Pretty ladies with knives
• Baseball bats
• Afros and bellbottoms
• Pinball tables
• Amusement Parks

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I usually watch it once every other Christmas for kicks, it's not bad. Honestly it's the only Die Hard sequel that really feels like it channels the spirit of the first movie at all. Die Hard 3 kinda sucks though.

The origin of Die Hard is fucking cool though, I think. Die Hard is adapted from a book named Nothing Lasts Forever. That book is a sequel to a book that was previously adapted into a Frank Sinatra movie. When Sinatra didn't want to do a sequel they tweaked the script to be a sequel to fucking Commando, but then Arnold turned it down so they tooled it into a stand alone movie that became Die Hard.
Yeah, I've heard of that. Minority Report also has a similar origin. It was supposed to be a sequel to another Philip K. Dick adaptation/Ahnuld movie (Total Recall). But for whatever reason, it was delayed for a number of years until it became a Tom Cruise/Spielberg movie (and you can see bits of what remained in the final movie, like when Anderton brought Agatha to that place that looks a lot similar to what Rekall sold its product as).

strobogo

Banned
I find it so weird when movies go through a bunch of changes like Minority Report/Die Hard types, and then leave big chunks of the old movies in it. You'll get one or two scenes where your main character is acting completely out of character, because it was written as an Arnold movie 10 years ago and the dude who got the role is 5'8'' 175 pounds and suddenly throws out a weird one liner or some big feat of strength that makes no sense.

Gonzalez

Banned
Minority Report doesn't hold up very well at all in repeat viewings. But damn what a great realistic future that they designed for that film. Too bad it doesn't hold up well either. Except the freeways. That might still have a chance.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think the only The Rock movies I've seen are The Other Guys and Doom.

The 'twist' in DOOM is the worst part about Doom. Like, it was just an aliens ripoff but whatever, I could still watch it. Then the FPS segment happened. Then The Rock turned heel, and it was like, who the fuck wants to be blockhead Karl Urban instead of The Rock?

Gonzalez

Banned

The 'twist' in DOOM is the worst part about Doom. Like, it was just an aliens ripoff but whatever, I could still watch it. Then the FPS segment happened. Then The Rock turned heel, and it was like, who the fuck wants to be blockhead Karl Urban instead of The Rock?

I think Dredd might have helped that movies repeat viewings(although I haven't seen it since Dredd).

Nerdkiller

Membeur

I would. Just so I could be THE LAAAAAAAWWWW!

dredd-movie-review-610x406.jpg

The Warriors is my ultimate movie. It's got all the things I like

• Dudes punching dudes in the face
• Pulpy 70s music
• Shitty 70s New York
• Pretty ladies
• Pretty ladies with knives
• Baseball bats
• Afros and bellbottoms
• Pinball tables
• Amusement Parks
Probably why I enjoyed beat em games.
That movie had some decent fight scenes

E: Slight- I totally agree with the Rock comment.

strobogo

Banned
I thought Rock was really good in Snitch. Maybe his best acting role since it didn't rely on him being a jacked up dude doing cool action scenes. He was also good in Pain and Gain.

Top Bottom