• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

bjork

I saw that movie once in music class. I can't watch it again, for fear of it diluting the experience of the first time I saw it. It's SO fucking good.

Arn says iawtp

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Slap Shot and Major League are the best sports movies

Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Beetlejuice are also awesome. Too bad about what happened to Burton.

Anth0ny

I thought Rock was really good in Snitch. Maybe his best acting role since it didn't rely on him being a jacked up dude doing cool action scenes. He was also good in Pain and Gain.

yeah I was pleasantly surprised with Snitch. shane from walking dead was pretty good in it, too.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
You know, while we're still talking about movies, is there anyone out there that agrees with me that Gladiator is just not a good movie? The basic plot seems a bit too overly familiar, which could work if it excelled in other areas, like Avatar for having some of the best large scale action scenes out there and the environmental details, but unlike Avatar, in which the story is mainly background for the spectacle, Maximus' all too familiar story of revenge is front and centre. I don't think it should have ever won Best Picture.

Slap Shot and Major League are the best sports movies

Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Beetlejuice are also awesome. Too bad about what happened to Burton.
You should keep an eye out for Big Eyes, as it looks like he's gonna be channelling his Ed Wood energy for that one.

Fave five Bring It On movies:

5. Bring it On: Fight to the Finish - I would have cut it completely from this list but unfortunately there are only five Bring it On Movies. It basically rips off the plot of the previous two films and I felt like too much focus was spent on the romance plot, rather than friendship and squad spirit

4. Bring It On Again - I didn't mind the plot too bad but this has some of the worst acting performances in the series and has some of the lowest quality production. I also felt that Tina and Marni were some of the most annoying antagonists in the series.

3. Bring It On: All Or Nothing - This is probably the highest stakes Bring It On movie as the squads are competing to be featured in a Rihanna music video. There's also a decent fish out of water story as Hayden Panettiere has to adjust to moving to an inner city school. Rihanna is pretty much just reading off lines in her scenes but it doesn't detract much

2. Bring It On - The original and realistically probably the most watchable in the series. The production and acting is the best in this movie and it was the only one to receive a wide theatrical release. A lot of the themes established in this movie are carried throughout the series, including socio-economic culture clash, learning to create your own style, and learning to find friends in unexpected places.

1. Bring It On: In It To Win It - This is really just a sentimental favourite because it is kinda dumb, is probably the most unrealistic plot in a Bring It On movie, and it features the most musical acts. Basically the whole thing is an homage to West Side Story (even going so far as to name the rival cheer squads the Jets and the Sharks and featuring a large scales fight scene between the two). The plot is resolved with the two squads coming together as the Chets and facing off against an even more evil squad.
There are many ways to account suicide, but this is the first time I've seen this. Pull up, Pepsi!

What's wrong?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Actually, I take it back. The best sports movie is the Detroit Pistons documentary. That counts, right? It's a movie.

Bill Laimbeer and Isiah Thomas are definitely those mother fuckers

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nah it's Major League, hands down.

Honorable mention to Necessary Roughness and Any Given Sunday

My name is WILLIE

Willie BEEEEEEAMEN

Actually, I take it back. The best sports movie is the Detroit Pistons documentary. That counts, right? It's a movie.

I really like those ESPN 20 for 20 movies, even on the subjects I know little about.

Avatar also sucks. Christ I couldn't even get half way through that hunk of shit. And it's not even like the visuals are so stunning you deal with the shitty story, dialogue, and acting. They aren't. Almost everything looks distractingly fake. There is no way the visuals could have suffered that much in just a few years, right?

Possibly as the Toby Maguire Spiderman Trilogy CGI aged really quickly too.

strobogo

Banned
Avatar also sucks. Christ I couldn't even get half way through that hunk of shit. And it's not even like the visuals are so stunning you deal with the shitty story, dialogue, and acting. They aren't. Almost everything looks distractingly fake. There is no way the visuals could have suffered that much in just a few years, right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I really like those ESPN 20 for 20 movies, even on the subjects I know little about.

That's ah, 30 for 30. And they are really good, I loved Broke and the Rotisserie League one a lot. Same with the USFL one, any boxing ones, and all the EVERYTHING ones.

strobogo

Banned

Laimbeer is no doubt TMF. Dude was king heel of the NBA. That doc was rad. He's That Motherfucker and a mother fucker at the same time.

That's ah, 30 for 30. And they are really good, I loved Broke and the Rotisserie League one a lot. Same with the USFL one, any boxing ones, and all the EVERYTHING ones.

I knew it'd be you who'd correct me. I knew it. I couldn't remember if it was 20 for 20 or 30 for 30, but I knew if I was wrong you'd correct me. Knew it. I'm getting Zack Ryder little man angry feud rage.

Gonzalez

Banned

The camera work is the problem with the visuals. Most of the human scenes are shot with tight camera angles that are sometimes filmed with handhelds, while all Navi scenes have impossible shots that can only be done in a CG animated film.

Jamie OD

Fave five Bring It On movies:

5. Bring it On: Fight to the Finish - I would have cut it completely from this list but unfortunately there are only five Bring it On Movies. It basically rips off the plot of the previous two films and I felt like too much focus was spent on the romance plot, rather than friendship and squad spirit

4. Bring It On Again - I didn't mind the plot too bad but this has some of the worst acting performances in the series and has some of the lowest quality production. I also felt that Tina and Marni were some of the most annoying antagonists in the series.

3. Bring It On: All Or Nothing - This is probably the highest stakes Bring It On movie as the squads are competing to be featured in a Rihanna music video. There's also a decent fish out of water story as Hayden Panettiere has to adjust to moving to an inner city school. Rihanna is pretty much just reading off lines in her scenes but it doesn't detract much

2. Bring It On - The original and realistically probably the most watchable in the series. The production and acting is the best in this movie and it was the only one to receive a wide theatrical release. A lot of the themes established in this movie are carried throughout the series, including socio-economic culture clash, learning to create your own style, and learning to find friends in unexpected places.

1. Bring It On: In It To Win It - This is really just a sentimental favourite because it is kinda dumb, is probably the most unrealistic plot in a Bring It On movie, and it features the most musical acts. Basically the whole thing is an homage to West Side Story (even going so far as to name the rival cheer squads the Jets and the Sharks and featuring a large scales fight scene between the two). The plot is resolved with the two squads coming together as the Chets and facing off against an even more evil squad.

The second movie. Which was the only one I saw during a red eye flight across the Atlantic. And I watched it muted the entire way though. I think it was the second one. Hang on. Maybe I'm thinking of Step Up. Yeah that's the one. Let's go with that one.

strobogo

Banned
The camera work is the problem with the visuals. Most of the human scenes are shot with tight camera angles that are sometimes shot with handhelds, while all Navi scenes have impossible shots that can only be done in a CG animated film.

The Judge had a number of impossible and obvious CGI shots. The Judge. A family drama. With zero need for any CGI. But it had a few really obvious shots that were impossible without CGI. Drove me crazy. But Avatar was just shit all around. Once he put out True Lies, James Cameron accomplished everything he could and died a peaceful death in my head.

The second movie. Which was the only one I saw during a red eye flight across the Atlantic. And I watched it muted the entire way though. I think it was the second one. Hang on. Maybe I'm thinking of Step Up. Yeah that's the one. Let's go with that one.

I don't watch the Step Up movies because I have standards.

Though I do like Channing Tatum...

Alucard

Banned
2 questions.

What are the best-protected finishers in the WWE?

-Sheamus' brogue kick
-Reigns' spear
-Rollins' curb stomp
-Big Show's KO punch
-Bryan's (RIP) running knee

What are the finishers that don't mean shit? (aka are kicked out of a lot)

-Cena's AA
-Kane's chokeslam

Uhh...Ziggler's finishers maybe?

Alucard

Banned

It looked great in theatres, but it looks like shit and like a video game on television in HD.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
2 questions.

-Sheamus' brogue kick
-Reigns' spear
-Rollins' curb stomp
-Big Show's KO punch

-Cena's AA
-Kane's chokeslam

You're missing Cesaro's Neutralizer. He may not always hit it,but when he does, you know that's the end of the match. No one has kicked out yet.

Browny

Banned
Burning Hammer and Western Lariat are top shouts... hogan's leg drop is probably up there. Neville's Red Arrow is clearly destined that way too.

Alucard

Banned
That was my reasoning for going to see Gravity at the iMAX. I have no desire to see it on a TV, as it won't be the experience it should be.

Agreed. Even if I saw it for sale somewhere, I wouldn't buy it. Loved "the experience" in the theatre, but don't think I'd enjoy "the movie" if I had to watch it on a smaller screen with a more critical eye.

Things I'd probably complain about with Gravity on a small screen:

-pointless horror scene with half a dude's head missing
-religious overtones dialed up to 11

I dunno...maybe.

Ithil

2 questions.

-Sheamus' brogue kick
-Reigns' spear
-Rollins' curb stomp
-Big Show's KO punch

-Cena's AA
-Kane's chokeslam

Only two people have ever kicked out of the Brogue Kick (Bryan and Big Show).
No one has kicked out of the spear.
Ditto for the curb stomp.
Only Sheamus has kicked out of the KO to my knowledge
Orton kicked out of the Knee at WM30, but I think it was mistimed and he was meant to have 15-20 seconds between it hitting and Batista trying to pin him.

Cesaro's neutralizer has also never been kicked out of, also, so that's well protected. The AA, ironically, is regularly kicked out of in PPV main events. Bryan, Orton, Punk, Rock, Lesnar, all sorts have all kicked out of it.
The Tombstone used to be among the most protected moves, with it basically being Taker's ultra finisher (with the Last Ride and chokslam as regular finishers), but after WM 25, when Taker started to do only WM main events and every one tried to be like HBK/Taker, then everyone he faced (HHH, Punk, Lesnar, HBK again) kicked out of it, sometimes multiple times. Even Taker kicked out of it.

StevieWhite

Did anybody ever kick out of Yoko's Banzai drop? Sure the ropes broke evert now and then, and sometimes he hs fell.... but I cant recall a single kickout.

Edit: beaten.

Alucard

Banned
Banzai Drop
Steiner Screwdriver

Banzai drop...man. No clue how you could ever justify kicking out of that or how a kickout would even look after taking it, which is probably why no one (?) ever did.

Bret mentioned in his book that Yokozuna's ass smelled awful.

Agreed. Even if I saw it for sale somewhere, I wouldn't buy it. Loved "the experience" in the theatre, but don't think I'd enjoy "the movie" if I had to watch it on a smaller screen with a more critical eye.

I dunno...maybe.

Yeah, it's that 'Experience' over 'Movie' distinction that makes me think I'm getting older. Story was crap, but it was a great experience. It's one of those things that probably doesn't make sense to 18 year old me.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, it's that 'Experience' over 'Movie' distinction that makes me think I'm getting older. Story was crap, but it was a great experience. It's one of those things that probably doesn't make sense to 18 year old me.

Definitely an age thing. You learn to appreciate things in different ways and different contexts, and just saying something "sucks" or is "awesome" doesn't cut it anymore.

I dunno...maybe.

my only issue with Gravity is that at the end,
when she claws her way up out of that lake
that an ape doesn't ride up on a horse.

That would have pushed the whole thing over the edge.

Alucard

Banned
my only issue with Gravity is that at the end,
when she claws her way up out of that lake
that an ape doesn't ride up on a horse.

That would have pushed the whole thing over the edge.

My mind would have exploded if that happened. Definitely would have taken the movie to another level.

Top Bottom