• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

This special event has brought Wrasslegaf together friends

By golly you're right, friend!

Fuck y'all.

tumblr_mzgu3jVHMp1qheak7o4_250.gif

tumblr_mzgu3jVHMp1qheak7o6_250.gif

Big One

Banned
@ the points in response to my post

I suppose a lot of that is fair, but think of it this way: Would you rather have had this feud end at a pay-per-view no one is going to watch, or end at a bigger stage like...Wrestlemania, perhaps?

WWE obviously wants to secure the future with The Shield as they've been pushed harder than any newcomer has in the past few years. All three are going to carry the company into the future, so why would you end the feud so soon when WWE wants to actually have more people view the closure with it? Wrestlemania is a time of wrestling where even non-fans will watch out of tradition ala the Super Bowl so to speak. It only makes sense for them to close out the feud there.

Obviously having Ambrose and Rollins go after each other over and over again would get tiresome, so you have to freshen it up a bit and expand their characters and range by feuding them with different people. However I highly doubt Ambrose will outright forget about Rollins and you could even do a thing at WM where Ambrose is in a ladder match for the Money in the Bank contract with Rollins.

Personally I'd much rather spend the slump period building their characters up more than just outright attempting ot make them into top names. THat doesn't happen when no one is watching the product, but it does when they do and Wrestlemania is when all wrestling fans have their eyes on the product.

Omega

Banned
WWE obviously wants to secure the future with The Shield as they've been pushed harder than any newcomer has in the past few years. All three are going to carry the company into the future, so why would you end the feud so soon when WWE wants to actually have more people view the closure with it? Wrestlemania is a time of wrestling where even non-fans will watch out of tradition ala the Super Bowl so to speak. It only makes sense for them to close out the feud there.

while i don't speak for anyone else, i can say I don't give a shit about this feud anymore, or any potential revisit.

It's been interferences, Cena injection to kill any hype and meaning of the feud in the first place and just non-matches (Battlegrounds & NoC). It's been long and drawn out by random nonsense that none of this matters. None of it will ever matter

it sucks cuz WWE always gets me. back in 2011 i said to myself when they fuck up Punk I would stop watching, then they brought in Rollins/Rusev who I like. When they fuck them up, they'll bring up the NXT guys I like. Then when they fuck them up there will be someone to replace them.

It's worse then being a Knicks fan. I know nothing but disappointment can come but i still can't get out. I don't know why i ever came back, i was good for 5-6 years not watching it..

Anth0ny

But......the very first HIAC ended due to outside interference.

Well don't I feel stupid.

That was Kane though. I mean, that's gotta be Kane. He ripped the damn steel door off its hinges! It was a great debut, damn it. I'll allow it.

Tonight sucked. Kane interrupting the Taker match made perfect sense. Bray interrupting this match made no sense at all. Every fucking TV and PPV Ambrose match over the past 4 months has ended in a DQ or outside interference. Hell in a Cell should have put an end to this feud once and for all. No interruptions. No outside interference. I would have liked to see Ambrose get the clean win.

Where does Bray/Ambrose even go from here? Bray loses again?

I mean, I'm not defending the match or the ending at all. Just sayin, if keeping other wrestlers out was the point of the HIAC, they failed the first time.

A bigger issue than Bray interfering is that the PPV was boring. The big spot felt unearned and lacking in energy. The crowd, the commentary, the match layout...it was all flat. The rest of the night too. Cesaro/Ziggler was okay, but meh.

Omega

Banned
on the bright side, at least WWE was willing to not have Cena main event. They gave two new guys the shot and even put Rusev over Cena. They also didn't mess up Rusev's match by having Mark Henry interfere, which is what really seemed like was going to happen. No one ever walks to ring side and doesn't interfere, I think this is the first time in WWE history

While I thought the PPV was shit, hopefully this is a sign of things to come and not just a fluke.
who am i kidding, neither of these guys will ever have a match after Cena ever again

and for the love of God, I'll take another 15 years of Cena. Just please, please get a fucking competent commentary team. This shit is a god damn embarrassment. It would actually be more beneficial to not even have a commentary team

strobogo

Banned
How much higher is the current HIAC compared to the old one? Also, go back and see how many cage matches in the last 25 years DIDN'T have some kind of interference. Almost all of them have a manager getting involved in some way.

Omega

Banned
How much higher is the current HIAC compared to the old one? Also, go back and see how many cage matches in the last 25 years DIDN'T have some kind of interference. Almost all of them have a manager getting involved in some way.

which kind of makes the whole match pointless.

Hopefully Stephanie points out how stupid it is and never works like she did with kicking Ambrose out

I suppose a lot of that is fair, but think of it this way: Would you rather have had this feud end at a pay-per-view no one is going to watch, or end at a bigger stage like...Wrestlemania, perhaps?

Obviously having Ambrose and Rollins go after each other over and over again would get tiresome, so you have to freshen it up a bit and expand their characters and range by feuding them with different people. However I highly doubt Ambrose will outright forget about Rollins and you could even do a thing at WM where Ambrose is in a ladder match for the Money in the Bank contract with Rollins.

Personally I'd much rather spend the slump period building their characters up more than just outright attempting ot make them into top names. THat doesn't happen when no one is watching the product, but it does when they do and Wrestlemania is when all wrestling fans have their eyes on the product.

It's not the feud that I'm mad about, it's the way they're ending it. I'm perfectly fine with Wyatt and Ambrose going at it, but the way they ended Ambrose/Rollins was garbage. Months of interference and screwjob finishes leading up to...an interference finish to blow off the feud. It could have - and should have - ended with Ambrse winning, then the Wyatt stuff happens on Raw the next day.

strobogo

Banned
I think Dean/Rollins was the best HIAC of the PG era. They took big bumps and got about as violent as you can in this era. I like that not only did it finish out the show, but the start of Bray/Dean closed out the show. Not Cenawinslol or anything. But 2 fresh talents in a big match and 2 fresh talents starting a new angle.

Omega

Banned
I think Dean/Rollins was the best HIAC of the PG era. They took big bumps and got about as violent as you can in this era. I like that not only did it finish out the show, but the start of Bray/Dean closed out the show. Not Cenawinslol or anything. But 2 fresh talents in a big match and 2 fresh talents starting a new angle.

wasn't the crowd booing? The crowd never boos unless it's Rusev and that's because he's a commie. They're usually always dead until the piped in lets go cena chants start.

i could have just been hearing things

strobogo

Banned
Maybe. I think they were booing thinking the match was over after the table bumps and maybe at the end, but I enjoyed the match and that it featured 3 talents that aren't from 2002 ending the show.
ikGYrkxpcx5EG.gif

Anth0ny

A clean win doesn't have to end a feud forever. Ambrose could have gone over tonight and they could have started up another program heading into Mania season if they really wanted to.

we just saw cena/orton 909409609094

Big One

Banned
A clean win doesn't have to end a feud forever. Ambrose could have gone over tonight and they could have started up another program heading into Mania season if they really wanted to.

we just saw cena/orton 909409609094
If Ambrose got a clean win then his feud with Bray wouldn't have gotten as much heat as it did. The online and audience reaction alone proves this. If Bray just came out after he was victorious, all Ambrose would have to show for his reasoning of hating Bray Wyatt is that Bray jumped him.

Bray Wyatt cost Ambrose his ultimate revenge, so Ambrose will have a storyline motivation to go after him just as much as Wyatt has towards Ambrose.

You could argue that Bray Wyatt targeting Ambrose is random, but keep in mind Wyatt's entire gimmick is that he's trying to show people the truth/the light/whatever and possibly become a part of his cult. So targeting random people, especially ones he might feel astray, makes perfect sense.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I thought it was a pretty good show overall. I bit predictable, but hey, that's current day WWE for you. I liked the end, the lantern with the smoke and the projection looked really bad ass. Wyatt/Ambrose could have some amazing promos and matches, I hope it elevates both of them. Not excited in the slightest for Cena vs Brock 3. Everyone knows Cena is going to get the last laugh. I almost hope it comes at their next meeting so we get something new and fresh for WM.

I really can't fucking believe the rub for beating the streak-breaker, Brock Lesnar, is going to be given to fucking John Cena.

Vince McMahon is a fucking idiot.

You have Brock Lesnar break the streak.
You have him DEMOLISH John Cena for the WWE Title.

You have established Brock Lesnar as the absolute monster he is supposed to be. And you use that credibility to put on a 4-5 star match with someone younger to turn them into a star for the next 5-10 years.

You do NOT give Cena chance after chance again to redeem himself and suck all the heat Brock has built up over the last year away just to give a 36 year old John Cena yet another fucking title run.

I miss the 30 day rule for title defenses...

Oh and Cena AGAIN against Brock, seriously? Who wants to see that again? Orton would've at least been fresh and in turn actually interesting which isn't a word I have ever used with any sort of frequency when describing Randy.

I do wish they'd fire their soulless dead commentary team. Fuck. I hate all of them. Why are they all robots? Is emotion banned? Really good commentary would have made more people into those matches I bet.

Just, good lord. does no one listen to it? How could they listen to them and think that those three will raise any excitement at all?

see i'm good at complaining

Doesn't help that the only time their lead commentator has ever come off as legitimately sincere is when his co-commentator nearly died next to him. Lawler is just there these days and barely noticeable and JBL comes off more of an actual prick rather than just being a heel color guy. Actually there is no color commentator guy anymore, it's three guys who don't give a fuck and only say what the script says or what Vince or Dunn feeds them with all the fake enthusiasm they can muster. And it gets even worse with shilling to the point of being flat out insulting.

So I hadn't watched since the last "special event" and to see the main event end like that just makes me shake my damn head. Maybe Orton and Rollins will have a match which would be solid. Otherwise same old shit.

Also the commentary gets worse each time. They showed orton countering with the rko in the lead up and then they say he's never done it before. Stupid.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So I hadn't watched since the last "special event" and to see the main event end like that just makes me shake my damn head. Maybe Orton and Rollins will have a match which would be solid. Otherwise same old shit.

Also the commentary gets worse each time. They showed orton countering with the rko in the lead up and then they say he's never done it before. Stupid.

Don't forget when Rollins and Ambrose went to the top of the cell to start the match.

"I don't think we've ever seen a Hell in a Cell match begin like this, begin on top of the cell, have we?"

"No we haven't, Maggle"

HELLO? FOLEY-TAKER?

Chavelo

Calling it now:

Rollins is gonna have a feud with Orton/Cena, while Ambrose gets to see his real dark side with Wyatt. That's what the promos for Wyatt in the past few weeks have all been about, especially with the pregnant weird shit: Ambrose will be a new member of the Wyatt family. Same thing that they tried to do with Daniel Bryan.

A match is set with Brock Lesnar and Cena/someone else around King of The Ring, beats Brock, but Rollins cashes in the MITB. Wyatt is gonna make Ambrose feel like shit for not being able to stop Rollins before in the weeks leading up to KOTR. After Ambrose is able to overcome his demons against Wyatt, he enters the King of The Ring the same night with the only mission of stopping Rollins. He wins that, now you got Rollins vs Ambrose part 2 at WM31.

I swear this sounded better in my head.
jkyJVkSFt9C8Q_e.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Don't forget when Rollins and Ambrose went to the top of the cell to start the match.

"I don't think we've ever seen a Hell in a Cell match begin like this, begin on top of the cell, have we?"

"No we haven't, Maggle"

HELLO? FOLEY-TAKER?

They didn't see it, they weren't commentating.

King was though.

I really can't fucking believe the rub for beating the streak-breaker, Brock Lesnar, is going to be given to fucking John Cena.

You have established Brock Lesnar as the absolute monster he is supposed to be. And you use that credibility to put on a 4-5 star match with someone younger to turn them into a star for the next 5-10 years.

You do NOT give Cena chance after chance again to redeem himself and suck all the heat Brock has built up over the last year away just to give a 36 year old John Cena yet another fucking title run.

You realize this now?

3qbRYs6.gif

strobogo

Banned
Things that really suck legitimately for WWE right now:

Commentary.
On all levels. The main roster is garbage. King and JBL are fucking terrrrrrrrrrible. Cole is sometimes okay, but generally as bad or worse, especially when he's trying to sell something serious or try to keep up with corny jokes or references that King and JBL throw out. NXT commentary has been no better, especially now that Regal is out of the booth. Renee is NOT good at commentary, just like Gene wasn't good at it. She needs to stick to interviews and the pre-show stuff. Albert is every bit as bad or even worse than King and JBL. He's actually like the worst of both, since he does the "oooooohhhhh" struggle shit like King does during moves while also randomly being a dick and throwing out stupid as shit references like JBL. Not to mention that Alex Riley and Byron Saxton flip flop on alignments every show, and Byron/Todd/Rich Brennon all sound alike.

Rematches. There wasn't a single match on HIAC that was a first time match. Cesaro/Ziggler have been in 13 televised matches against each other this year (3 this WEEK). Miz/Sheamus have been in 13 televised matches against each other this year. 3 Show/Rusev matches in last 40 days. 14 matches with Cena/Orton against each other. At least 4 matches with Rollins/Ambrose. 8 with AJ/Paige. Somewhere around 17-20 Usos vs Rhodes matches.

Lack of mid card. This goes along with the last one. It's been made VERY clear that anything that doesn't happen at the top of the hour (8, 9, 10) or end of 3rd hour doesn't matter at all.

Lack of protection of champions. Winning a title that isn't the WWE Championship means you're going to lose more than win. In the process, it leads to the lack of a mid card and over reliance on rematches.

Lack of focus for anyone outside of the main event. This is directly tied into the last 3 points. The conflict of people outside of the main event becomes "Has a bunch of matches where they trade wins".

Making sure Main Event and Smackdown feel like secondary shows.
Pretty obvious. They don't even pretend to put effort into either show. At best they'll have a semi top guy do a promo on Main Event, and anything good on SD gets redone on Raw.

MC Safety

I think you greatly overestimate Bork Lesnar.

Aside from being a part-time champ, he's incapable of launching anyone's career. After two minutes in the ring he's beet-red and winded. Do you really see this sweaty, out-of-shape rest-hold machine and think monster? Or career maker?

So I didn't renew my network sub and last minute decided not to get it for last night's show. Looks like I chose wisely. Will probably wait until Rumble now, I don't need to see Cena win another title.

Aiii

So not worth it
Eden is a terrible ring announcer. Awful voice, awful pronunciation, awful volume so you can only hear half of what she says.

Justin Roberts wasn't amazing, but at least he had a good voice and you could tell what he said.

Hasney

Watching the Miz match and last night and had to pause it when Sheamus had Miz on his shoulders and Mizdow was lying on the steps. Too much gold.

Striker

Is this Wm 29 all over again?

Get rid of this stupid ass 60 seconds per post shit.
WM 29? I mean Austin-Rock did the same, so did Undertaker-Michaels, but it's mostly Cena matches. Cena-Orton, Cena-Punk, Cena-Rock, Cena-Michaels, etc. It is more common in the past several years. Instead of telling us a captivating story inside, they just spam finishers to create this epic battle, but it's mostly shit.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hell in a Cell is such a useless PPV. I guess they all are, but the whole Cell because Cell gimmick is just terrible. Cena vs. Orton was, as I predicted, safe and completely didn't need or use the Cell gimmick. Seth and Ambrose made it work somewhat, but a regular hardcore match would have suffised too, the drop of the cell was fun though.

Still, do gimmick matches when the feud calls for it so it's an attraction and a reason to buy PPV's, don't use it for throwaway PPV's, because throwaway PPV's.

Top Bottom