• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Alucard

Banned
So, has the Pulp Fiction parody t-shirt jumped the shark?

e136350cf4744f1ba0faa4ea7e67f5bd.jpg
Pope-Fiction-T-Shirt.jpg
MEGA-PULP-MAN.jpg
fig,black,mens,ffffff.u1.jpg
PULP-SIMPSON.jpg
Z-Fiction.jpg
il_340x270.630493030_e3ax.jpg
Dark-Fiction-640x640.jpg

So many others. They do look pretty great, though.

Ultratech

I dunno, 2nd hand titles of "yearly sports releases" drop in price like they're nothing the second a new title is out, you can get old WWE games for 5 bucks tops.
For sure. They go for 1.99 at EB sometimes. At least, they did the last time I was at an EB.

Yup, there is truth to that.

It's why you can get old Madden games for hardly any money (or as mentioned, most yearly sports games).

I remember buying one of the old NHL games for PS1 to use for an exploit and got it for like $2.

Most of the old WWE games I've seen are similarly cheap, generally hovering around $3-10 (depending on things).

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, the only thing I don't like about Steen's new name is that it's two syllables instead of one. Otherwise, if they go with Kevin Owens, I'm totally on board.

So I just got an email from WWE that there is no more 6-month commitment.

Great News! WWE Network is now $9.99 per month with no commitment. That's right. You'll continue to get every LIVE pay-per-view, access to our massive on-demand library and more for the same $9.99 per month you currently pay, but without a 6-month commitment!

There is no action is required on your part. On your billing date in December, your WWE Network subscription will automatically convert to a no commitment account and will continue uninterrupted for $9.99 per month, plus applicable taxes.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I just got an email from WWE that there is no more 6-month commitment.

Great News! WWE Network is now $9.99 per month with no commitment. That's right. You'll continue to get every LIVE pay-per-view, access to our massive on-demand library and more for the same $9.99 per month you currently pay, but without a 6-month commitment!

There is no action is required on your part. On your billing date in December, your WWE Network subscription will automatically convert to a no commitment account and will continue uninterrupted for $9.99 per month, plus applicable taxes.

Just got this as well... I think it's a smart choice, they obviously aren't winning any subscribers with a 6-month commitment hanging over their hands and they certainly won't lose any subs over this.

jred2k

Got that email as well. These numbers are gonna be fucking murder today and their response is going to be putting even more focus on Cena for Survivor Series. They deserve every dollar they lose at this point. I love how they make sure to tell PPV viewers how fucking dumb they are for speding $55 during all of the special events now.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh snap:
WWE Network added 31,000 subscribers in the quarter, representing a 4% increase from June 30, and reached 731,000 subscribers at quarter-end. Subscriber growth reflected the acquisition of 286,000 subscribers, which was 71% above the gross subscriber additions in the period between April 7 (the day after WrestleMania) and June 30 (WWE Network added 182,000 gross subscribers during the April 1- April 6 period, which included WrestleMania). Through September 30, WWE Network had attracted approximately 971,000 unique subscribers with 75% of these subscribers active as of that date.

They expanded to include 170 countries more, but lost so many US-based subs their net-increase is only 31k over the last quarter.

RBH

Some news and notes from the latest issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter:

The battle plan is still for Brock Lesnar to defend the title next at the Royal Rumble, against John Cena, and for Roman Reigns to wind up as champion.

WWE made it clear on Raw that Cena is being primed for champion emeritus, calling attention to his being at the tail end of his run, which was a portrayal most felt was premature to be made public. Reigns, with new nicknames like “The Juggernaut” and “The Big Dog,” is being primed for the top position.

The plan has always been for Lesnar to retain against Cena and be the unstoppable monster that Reigns stops, preferably at WrestleMania, and after winning the Royal Rumble. Generally, WWE top of the card Mania plans are usually pretty obvious by December, although this plan was evident much earlier. And usually, they don’t change, although they changed greatly last year, between the crowd turning on Batista, Daniel Bryan’s emergence and C.M. Punk quitting.

This year’s questions are more along the lines of whether Reigns clicks. It’s clear from Hell in a Cell, that Dean Ambrose right now is not the guy, and unlike with Bryan, there isn’t anywhere near the momentum for him, even if he’s the more complete performer and better promo in an age where connecting on promos and in-ring work are more important than just big, good body and good looking.

There’s also the injury situation. Reigns, in a backstage (“satellite”) interview on Raw, directly targeted Seth Rollins, who beat Ambrose in Hell in a Cell, as his next target. One would think that by directly giving a name, that he’s not far from returning. Yet Randy Orton is clearly targeted for Rollins. Reigns is already being advertised starting the day after Christmas on house shows, for house show matches with Kane. But we’ve seen with Bryan, Reigns, Bad News Barrett and others, that there is a chasm between the doctors reports and the advertising department frequently.

Daniel Bryan was also in the news. In Houston on 10/28, at the Smackdown tapings, Big Show, in a segment not taped for television, and seemingly taped to cheer Bryan up, led the crowd chanting “Yes” and telling them that Bryan may need elbow surgery. We’d reported it was likely he would need surgery because his strength in his right arm still isn’t coming back.

The situation is significant. Bryan made a public appearance on 10/28 in Santa Clara. According to what we were told, even though he was wearing a long sleeve shirt, it was described to us, and photos backed it up, that you could tell Bryan’s left arm looked big and has retained its usual muscle (while not a big muscular guy by wrestler standards, by normal person on the street standards, he’s thickly muscled) and his right arm looked much smaller. We were told there is no timetable for his return nor a guarantee he will return. There have been reports that he’s going to get Tommy John surgery, an elbow procedure common among baseball pitchers, which has a long recovery time. WWE officially has been quiet about his situation publicly but wrestlers have talked about him needing major elbow surgery.

Right now the plan is to move Elimination Chamber to June, to try and have a big two month run where you have Elimination Chamber and Money in the Bank, which in recent years have been the two strongest “B” shows of the year.

Weddings continued to work like a charm on Total Divas. The Eva Marie wedding (with her hair back dark, because she wanted the dark hair in her wedding photos) as the final episode of this season on 10/26 did 1,133,000 viewers. That wasn’t even a real wedding, because the wedding was some time back, but a made-for-TV wedding since the original wedding wasn’t filmed. But it still drew on a show that draws nearly two-thirds women. That was up 37 percent from the same hour last week, even though this week’s show went head-to-head with both Hell in a Cell and the World Series. An interesting note is it’s the second time head-to-head with a PPV that the rating has gone way up. When the PPVs were only PPVs, the ratings for Total Divas was always way down. Now, when the actual PPV numbers are small, and there are theoretically more viewers for the PPV on the network, it seems to have less or no effect on the Total Divas numbers. It’s too soon to call it a pattern, but it is worth paying attention to once the new season comes.

Former WCW announcer Mark Madden, who was good friends with Brian Pillman, told this story on Jim Ross’ podcast this past week. He said Pillman called him up two weeks before the Super Bowl one year asking if he could use Madden’s press pass to chain himself to the goal post during media day. Madden said that if he did that, not only would he not be able to cover the Super Bowl, but he’d lose his job and probably would never be able to work again in the media. Pillman said, “Look, I can’t be the only one making sacrifices here.” I think this idea came from a crazy conversation between Pillman and Terry Funk. Pillman had previously gone to mentor and father figure Kim Wood, at the time the strength coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, to score him Super Bowl tickets, with the idea of, during the game, running onto the field and handcuffing himself to the goal post, figuring that would get him a ton of publicity. Wood told him no way, because if Pillman did that, the NFL would trace where the tickets came from. I hate to say it stemmed from me in a sense, but when there was an NFL strike in 1987 and they were using replacement players, I suggested to Pillman to try out. He had been a Division I-AA first team All-American nose guard (Yeah, I know, he was way too small for that position, at 5-8 3/4 and really about 220 juiced up) and even played one season with the Cincinnati Bengals, and would have made the Buffalo Bills in 1985 except he was a late cut when the Bills figured out he was really a little guy way juiced up after a decision had been made that he was going to survive the final cut. So this was only a few years later, but he had missed up his ankle playing in the CFL with the Calgary Stampeders, which led to him getting into wrestling. My suggestion was for him to try out for a team as a replacement player, then do something totally outrageous in a game that would result in a suspension, because he could use the idea of being kicked out of the NFL for wrestling publicity for the rest of his life. But he felt that because of his ankle, he couldn’t play football anymore.

Cody Barbierri, the employee who allegedly made the comments regarding Del Rio that led to Del Rio slapping him hard and being fired, is no longer with WWE and has started his own social media consulting business. Barbierri was in catering several months back and didn’t clean off his plate. When someone brought it up to him, he said, “That’s what guys like Del Rio are here for.” Del Rio wasn’t there at the time, but somebody told Del Rio he made that remark. Del Rio confronted Barbierri and complained about him saying it and asked for an apology. Barbierri didn’t apologize. Del Rio slapped him really hard and knocked him down, and was then fired.

Striker

Reeks of desperation.

^^ Both Elimination Chamber and MitB makes no sense. Both shows will have big matches like that for the title. The other will have an alternate with a 'young guy' winning the briefcase. Put the MitB back on Mania and make it so the match itself is based on the briefcase, not a title. Take away the PPV and bring back King of the Ring. The KotR winner earns a World title shot immediately at the next PPV (or SummerSlam, but knowing them they'll make a feud get stale by fighting each other for two months with 5 hour content each week).

Aiii

So not worth it
New Content / Product Features: New content recently added to the network includes WWE Rivalries. The original series, which provides a documentary-style look at some of the greatest moments in WWE history, debuted on October 27. In addition to providing new live and original content, the network has increased access to the Company’s comprehensive video-on-demand library to more than 2,500 hours from more than 1,500 hours at launch. Also enhancing subscribers’ viewing experience, the Company plans to roll out new "resume play" and “watch list” features across WWE Network media platforms by the end of December.

About time ffs.

Fox318

Good on fucking del Rio.

WWE doesn't exactly have a stalwart reputation with wrestlers from cultures other than the south and north east.

WWE made it clear on Raw that Cena is being primed for champion emeritus

Reigns, with new nicknames like “The Juggernaut” and “The Big Dog,” is being primed for the top position.

The plan has always been for Lesnar to retain against Cena and be the unstoppable monster that Reigns stops

Dean Ambrose right now is not the guy

We were told there is no timetable for his return nor a guarantee he will return. There have been reports that he’s going to get Tommy John surgery, an elbow procedure common among baseball pitchers, which has a long recovery time. WWE officially has been quiet about his situation publicly but wrestlers have talked about him needing major elbow surgery.

Dark Days ahead for WWE, not much to look forward to is there

Fox318

So if reigns gets injured they can't push cena again.

Who else would they push?

Bo Dallas vs Brock would be a great mania match.

Alucard

Banned
Dark Days ahead for WWE, not much to look forward to is there

Cena not being booked to beat Brock at Rumble is great news. I'm also down for Reigns becoming champion, as it's at least fresh.

Ambrose shouldn't be "the guy" right now. His stuff as of late has been...clearly written by someone else.

Poor Bryan.

Them stopping the 6 month commitment shows that they are probably going to stop including the ppvs soon. They won't be forced to include them for 6 more months at a time.

Cagey

Banned
A sizable chunk of the Reigns hate from internet fans comes from the fact that #dirtsheetz exist.

Eliminate any insider source/backstage gossip speculation and there wouldn't be this sense of inevitability about a coronation at WM31. Have #dirtz reporting that it's going to happen for 14 months, and well, different story.

Bryan winning at WM30 is a much different (read: worse) experience if you're sitting around before WM29 and read "the plan for WM30 is to have Daniel Bryan go over Randy Orton and Dave Batista, currently sources close to Vince McMahon are high on Bryan as a fierce underdog..."

Aiii

So not worth it
Them stopping the 6 month commitment shows that they are probably going to stop including the ppvs soon. They won't be forced to include them for 6 more months at a time.

Heh, and go back to charging 50 bucks for them at PPV's again? Fat fucking chance.

They're stuck with what they do, wether they want to or not. The consumers won't have it and the cable companies will tell them to go fuck themselves too.

Heh, and go back to charging 50 bucks for them at PPV's again? Fat fucking chance.

They're stuck with what they do, wether they want to or not. The consumers won't have it and the cable companies will tell them to go fuck themselves too.

Cable companies will take them back if they stop showing them on the network. They won't turn down half the profits from a ppv. Vince will definitely do this by Wrestlemania.

Fox318

Cena not being booked to beat Brock at Rumble is great news. I'm also down for Reigns becoming champion, as it's at least fresh.

Ambrose shouldn't be "the guy" right now. His stuff as of late has been...clearly written by someone else.

Poor Bryan.
If that's what they were going to do why did they make the Orton cena match for a title shot?

Cagey

Banned
No, it's coming from the fact that he's getting pushed when he's not ready.

You snipped one quote when the rest addresses the point you made. Fans "see" him getting pushed because they've been reading the plans for him win the belt at WM31 since May and beat Lesnar since, I don't know, July? You seriously believe this doesn't color people's perceptions?

Omega

Banned
Barbierri was in catering several months back and didn’t clean off his plate. When someone brought it up to him, he said, “That’s what guys like Del Rio are here for.” Del Rio wasn’t there at the time, but somebody told Del Rio he made that remark. Del Rio confronted Barbierri and complained about him saying it and asked for an apology. Barbierri didn’t apologize. Del Rio slapped him really hard and knocked him down, and was then fired.
smfh

I think it's telling that nearly all the Rivalries they've highlighted for the new Documentary series are from before 2005..! What have been the some of the better rivalries over the last 10 years?

I don't mean just compared to the rest of the crap happening in the same time period, but rivalries on the same level as Hogan v Sting, Rock v Austin, Austin v McMahon, Mankind v Undertaker, HBK v Bret Hart, etc.

Sephzilla

You snipped one quote when the rest addresses the point you made. Fans "see" him getting pushed because they've been reading the plans for him win the belt at WM31 since May and beat Lesnar since, I don't know, July? You seriously believe this doesn't color people's perceptions?

No I don't, because if Reigns was actually good enough to warrant a world title run I think people would be on board with it. Going into WrestleMania it was pretty obvious that Bryan was beating all of Evolution to win the title - and depending on who you talk to that was planned from either Elimination Chamber or even further back. Didn't stop people from complaining about Bryan winning the belt.

Hell I think a month ago I pointed out that I think most people on Gaf want to like Reigns but feel he's just not ready for the Cena level push - and most people agreed with me on that. If people's perceptions of Reigns were colored by knowing his future, I don't think there would be so many people who would agree that they want to like the guy.

Right now Reigns is on a trajectory to be Shaemus 2.0 in the sense that he got a major push before he was ready.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's telling that nearly all the Rivalries they've highlighted for the new Documentary series are from before 2005..! What have been the some of the better rivalries over the last 10 years?

I don't mean just compared to the rest of the crap happening in the same time period, but rivalries on the same level as Hogan v Sting, Rock v Austin, Austin v McMahon, Mankind v Undertaker, HBK v Bret Hart, etc.

Batisa/Cena circa 2010 was a very good rivalry. Brought out the very best in Batista.

Sephzilla

Batisa/Cena circa 2010 was a very good rivalry. Brought out the very best in Batista.

I'm honestly kind of surprised Undertaker vs HBK and Bryan vs HHH aren't in there.

Also I'd agree with Sunny that Cena vs Batista was pretty good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly kind of surprised Undertaker vs HBK and Bryan vs HHH aren't in there.

Also I'd agree with Sunny that Cena vs Batista was pretty good.

Undertaker v HBK was damn good, and those iconic Wrestlemania Entrances... so good.

---

OK it's time WrassleGAF...

Fav 5 Rivalries!

5. E&C/Dudleys/Hardy Boyz <-- No real storyline to it other than just trying to be the most extreme tag team.
4. Angle/Austin/RVD/McMahon <-- It's goofy as hell, but damn it was entraining
3. Austin v McMahon
2. Jericho v Malenko
1. Bret v Owen

Austin v Rock for IC and then WWE Title was damn amazing too. As was Bret Hart v Austin. Dammit, so many good times.

Sephzilla

Reigns doesn't have much of a body. He's got the face, though.

I think he has a good face/body.

His voice tho... so bad.

In my opinion Reigns has the look, his couple of big power moves are legit impressive in my opinion, he's got a good wrestler body, and I have to imagine the fact that he's related to The Rock is helping him a little as well.

If we could just put the brain of Daniel Bryan into Roman Reigns we'd have an amazing wrestler.

Hasney

Should've hit him harder

Yup. If a tool is going to say shit like that and you're going to fired for a slap, you may as well get your monies worth.

I'd be thinking "But we're only hearing one side of the story" if it wasn't for that dickheads reaction on @WWE just after he got fired.

Sephzilla

OK it's time WrassleGAF...

Fav 5 Rivalries!

5. E&C/Dudleys/Hardy Boyz <-- No real storyline to it other than just trying to be the most extreme tag team.
4. Angle/Austin/RVD/McMahon <-- It's goofy as hell, but damn it was entraining
3. Austin v McMahon
2. Jericho v Malenko
1. Bret v Owen

Fav Five Rivalries
5 - E&C / Hardy Boyz / Dudley Boys
4 - Undertaker vs Kane
3 - HBK vs Undertaker
2 - Bret Hart vs Owen Hart
1 - Austin vs McMahon

Top Bottom