• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Yep, like Smackdown its taped so they can retape matches or finishes.

In this situation Hideo
was supposed to hit his finisher which is the knee strike that Bryan took from him. So when he did it, it either missed or didn't look good. So he hit again for the win.

What did they do?

the Evil prother bought in big zeke and 2 gang bangers to attack puma and mundo. some NWO beat down type stuff

Old Man Otani has no time for Low Ki's flippy shit;

Otani1.gif

Also, I forgot how weird CM Punk's war crate used to be;

Punk.gif

Yep, like Smackdown its taped so they can retape matches or finishes.

In this situation Hideo
was supposed to hit his finisher which is the knee strike that Bryan took from him. So when he did it, it either missed or didn't look good. So he did it again for the win.

What did they do?
I thought his finisher was the Warriors Way?

Ithil

Some Hideo Itami news:

Its good they sent him down so he can adjust so he can work stiff but not to lite which is doing now. I understand that when Bryan talks about a kick of his bursting his eardrum. Its also helps he is doing what Sin Cara wasn't.

I find it funny the stiffest worker in NXT right now is Sasha Banks. lol

He'll find a balance. It's why he's NXT, to adjust.

Alucard

Banned
Reading some reviews of episode 1 right now. Sounds like the production is fantastic, the characters have character, but there are some cheesy soap opera elements that don't hit with everyone. I think I'll enjoy those parts, as they at least provide a back story.

How's Lucha Underground going?

I thought it was just about as good a debut as I could imagine. In one hour, they got over:

-the whole concept of lucha: they got over their version of the story of why lucha exists and what it means, and why the masks.

-the whole concept of the show: there's this rich dude who likes violence and so he made a gritty underground fight club. He put up 100k to motivate the competition.

-who like 6-7 of the main characters are, with pretty damn good vignettes

-the consequences of losing and the tease of "something big coming" that even the evil owner dude won't be able to control once unleashed

And then they had actual wrestling matches too. All in one hour.

Pretty remarkable. Pretty much shamed the WWE's ability to manage time in every way.

If the WWE managed time and could present stories in such a concise way as Lucha Underground, pretty much everybody down to the lowest midcarder and all the divas would have meaningful storylines and character development and motivations and feuds that you might care about.

Having said that, it's a cinematic presentation, not a sports-based thing. So it won't be for everybody.

Reading some reviews of episode 1 right now. Sounds like the production is fantastic, the characters have character, but there are some cheesy soap opera elements that don't hit with everyone. I think I'll enjoy those parts, as they at least provide a back story.

I found the cinematic element, or "the soap opera bits," pretty awesome, actually.

All wrestling has "soap opera bits" so that's a pretty lame thing to complain about.

This promotion just films them in a different way--a cinematic way. To me this actually makes more sense than doing a "traditional sports broadcast-based style" (or whatever the hell the WWE does these days) where they sorta pick-and-choose whether the camera is actually there in the room with the talent, and whether it is acknowledged or not, seemingly at random.

wait, is Lucha Underground a full fledged promotion?

It's a full-fledged TV show.

I think in order to call yourself a "full-fledged promotion" you have to sell tickets and do events and stuff. These guys do TV tapings, but they aren't like real events. If it takes off though, they could certainly take it on the road or make a paying show out of it. I'd buy a ticket to a show after tonight.

I found the cinematic element, or "the soap opera bits," pretty awesome, actually.

All wrestling has "soap opera bits" so that's a pretty lame thing to complain about.

This promotion just films them in a different way--a cinematic way. To me this actually makes more sense than doing a "traditional sports broadcast-based style" (or whatever the hell the WWE does these days) where they sorta pick-and-choose whether the camera is actually there in the room with the talent, and whether it is acknowledged or not, seemingly at random.

felt like they were going for a spanish soap opear feel. which i feel they nailed

Man God

Non-Canon Member

So it's basically Wrestling Society...Mex?

Are they going to have a repeat showing? Looked at the trailer and it seems really neat.

A repeat showing through a dot torrent file would be ideal.

felt like they were going for a spanish soap opear feel. which i feel they nailed

Yup. You nailed the description of it. And yes, they nailed that feel. The villainous owner was especially delightful to me. I felt the scene with him and Konnan in the office was the best of the night. The segment with Chavo after the match was good too, since he did all the talking and Chavo just had to sit there and stew, which he did a great job doing.

The only part that was weird, was the first scene, with the street fight, but I thought it was a good setup in retrospect after a second viewing. It was just such a shock to the system the first time, before you had the feel for the presentation.

So it's basically Wrestling Society...Mex?

I found it way more effective than WSX. And I was entertained by much of WSX at the time.

There are a few other things that remind one of WSX, like the warehouse/building. But even then, I like this one better.

the commentary cam is pretty dumb. its looks like its recorded from a cell phone. also at a wired angle

This was my biggest complaint too. Doesn't need to be there. I'm hoping it was just leaned on here because it was the first episode, and they want you to get acclimated to who is talking. I'm hoping it gradually diminishes, and is more or less eliminated by second season, when the viewers should be up-to-speed enough to recognize the voices of the commentary team.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dark opinion, friends.

I just watched Back To The Future for the first time ever, and I was pretty bored by the end of it. Even fast forwarding a few parts. Doesn't hold a candle to River's Edge as the best Crispin Glover movie.

somedevil

Well Kevin Steen new name might have been revealed according to pwinsider:

WWE applied to trademark "Kevin Owens" as a character name for a professional wrestler on 10/24. The word we are hearing is that will be Kevin Steen's official ring name in NXT and WWE.

So his last name is his son's first name.

Top Bottom