• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Old Man Otani has no time for Low Ki's flippy shit;

Otani1.gif

Also, I forgot how weird CM Punk's war crate used to be;

Punk.gif

i love me some early ROH

Anth0ny

So last time it was 667k, US only, as of June 30.

If it's flat from last time even after expanding to a bunch of other countries that would be hilarious. We are also going to hear 9.99 and "hey idiot PPV buyers, you're an idiot!" a whole hell of a lot more.

Watching The Era of Honor Begins, ROH's first show. Holy shit, this opening segment/match between Da Hit Squad and Christopher Street Connection... so much gay bashing. Incredible.

alstein

It's a full-fledged TV show.

I think in order to call yourself a "full-fledged promotion" you have to sell tickets and do events and stuff. These guys do TV tapings, but they aren't like real events. If it takes off though, they could certainly take it on the road or make a paying show out of it. I'd buy a ticket to a show after tonight.

How does it compare to WSX? I liked WSX.

So last time it was 667k, US only, as of June 30.

If it's flat from last time even after expanding to a bunch of other countries that would be hilarious. We are also going to hear 9.99 and "hey idiot PPV buyers, you're an idiot!" a whole hell of a lot more.

More shopzone dollars for everyone!

Back to the Future is a goddamn classic, as far as I'm concerned. I can't imagine anyone finding such a perfect, insanely quotable film to be boring. Best time travel film ever.

Watching The Era of Honor Begins, ROH's first show. Holy shit, this opening segment/match between Da Hit Squad and Christopher Street Connection... so much gay bashing. Incredible.

Yeah, that shit's pretty disgusting - I really want to know what was going through Gabe's head, as I can't quite believe anyone would actually think "OK, let's start this crowd off hot with two fat slobs from New Jersey beating the fucking shit out of a couple of gay guys".

strobogo

Banned
lolindiewrestling, friend. If you recall, Rob Feinstein was once attached to the group as Fun Athletic Guy. ROH in general was not nearly as "pure wrestling" as their marketing would want you to believe. I mean, they had a whole show named after and devoted to Abdullah the Butcher, the catchiest catch of all catch wrestlers.

If Big E/Xavier/Kofi had been a team in early ROH:

Nice Intentioned Guys Getting Athletic Sports

Hasney

Damn, that was a solid opening to Lucha Underground. Good matches, great main event, story development and character introductions from the off, decent production while feeling like something underground and even Vampiro was better than I thought he'd be.

Obviously, trigger warning for Konan, but the show managed to stay good in spite of him.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lucha Underground is something else, for one, it's fun! Boy, who knew you could watch an entire wrestling show not called NXT and end up with something that was enjoyable to watch for every minute and you wouldn't have to go "yeah, this segment saved the show." \

What an amazing concept.

Seriously though, backing the other people in here, great first showing. They have some pretty cool camera angles, but what I really like is the feel they give the show, the set is great and they really show you they're something different and just the same-old bs.

The best part though is how they have very well produced and pre-shot backstage segments to intercut with matches. None of this live interview crap, no, a shot of Chavo Guerrero sitting in the back after losing a match and the heel promoter talking down to him. Or Konnan meeting with said producer in his office. Great lighting and camera angles to emphasise what is happening. It really is something different and it worked great.

Commentary was good, Matt Striker is a great play-by-play guy and Vampiro did well as color announcer, but could have shown a bit more emotion here and there. Good production value all around, but Vampiro's mic was a bit low-grade (literally the only complaint I have on this).

The Main Event had Johnny Mundo (JoMo) vs. Prince Puma (Ricochet) which was as good as it sounds. It was better than any match on Hell in a Cell.

Lucha Underground was tons of fun, I want more! Watch this.

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

WCW Monday Nitro 11/18/96

Go home show for WW3.

• La Parka vs Juventud Guerrera
  • Ultimo Dragon vs That Motherfucker Dean Malenko WCW Cruiserweight Championship
  • Amazing French Canadians vs American Males
  • Lex Luger vs Hugh Morrus
  • Bobby Eaton vs Jeff Jarrett
  • Big Bubber vs Jim Powers
  • Chris Benoit vs Eddie Guerrero

Well, a show of everything that makes WCW WCW. The debut of La Parka, Eddie vs Benoit, TMF vs Ultimo, the nWo causing trouble, a main event talk segment with a huge SWERVE, cops, and WE'RE OUTTA TIME. The good news is that La Parka has arrived. The bad news is that he didn't do any dancing.

iAUQCJkUuX5te.gif

ivT8VdpWBAc9i.gif

iPkqyxc8B2M1z.gif

Alucard

Banned
Lucha Underground is something else, for one, it's fun! Boy, who knew you could watch an entire wrestling show not called NXT and end up with something that was enjoyable to watch for every minute and you wouldn't have to go "yeah, this segment saved the show."

What an amazing concept.

Seriously though, backing the other people in here, great first showing. They have some pretty cool camera angles, but what I really like is the feel they give the show, the set is great and they really show you they're something different and just the same-old bs.

The best part though is how they have very well produced and pre-shot backstage segments to intercut with matches. None of this live interview crap, no, a shot of Chavo Guerrero sitting in the back after losing a match and the heel promoter talking down to him. Or Konnan meeting with said producer in his office. Great lighting and camera angles to emphasise what is happening. It really is something different and it worked great.

Commentary was good, Matt Striker is a great play-by-play guy and Vampiro did well as color announcer, but could have shown a bit more emotion here and there. Good production value all around, but Vampiro's mic was a bit low-grade (literally the only complaint I have on this).

The Main Event had Johnny Mundo (JoMo) vs. Prince Puma (Ricochet) which was as good as it sounds. It was better than any match on Hell in a Cell.

Lucha Underground was tons of fun, I want more! Watch this.

I hope they take off, but I'm concerned about them only being on El Rey, which I don't think most people get?

The best part about them is that as much as they're about wrestling, they ARE "an entertainment company," which is what Vince calls the WWE. I'm ready for LU to challenge the WWE, but it's a pipe dream for now due to the low TV market penetration.

Of course, if more people get El Rey than I think, we could have something special here.

I'll be curious to see the rating for the show, which I hope we'll get.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's not just on El Rey, it's also on UniMás in Spanish.

I think them being on El Rey actually works in their benefit if their ratings are low, it's a young network so ratings don't have to be huge for them to be renewed for a second season. As long as it's doing okay, they'll give it another shot.

strobogo

Banned
El Rey is in my area, but it isn't part of our package. Looking at their site, it seems like a pretty dope network. Like what Hispanic Spike would be if Spike had ever been cool at all.

strobogo

Banned
Friends, using Bing Rewards, I have $75 in Amazon credits. I see I can purchase WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011 for $99. Should I get it?

2k.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Hell, you can buy my SvR 2011 LORD OF DARKNESS EDITION for only 90 bucks!

4989048645_5393537819_z.jpg

Comes with an exclusive cardboard Undertaker sleeve, an Undertaker card and Unforgiven 2007 on DVD!

Aiii

So not worth it
Looking up prices of "rare" PS2, GBA, etc. games will take your head for a spin.

I dunno, 2nd hand titles of "yearly sports releases" drop in price like they're nothing the second a new title is out, you can get old WWE games for 5 bucks tops.

Alucard

Banned
I dunno, 2nd hand titles of "yearly sports releases" drop in price like they're nothing the second a new title is out, you can get old WWE games for 5 bucks tops.

For sure. They go for 1.99 at EB sometimes. At least, they did the last time I was at an EB.

Alucard

Banned
ROH Announces "Tag Wars" on the road to Final Battle.
roadtofb.jpg

Ring of Honor returns to Charm City! On November 22nd, ROH will be back in Baltimore once again and our TV cameras are coming along, too! Not only will you get a full night of the best professional wrestling on the planet, but the action will be filmed for broadcast on ROH TV. And this stop in Baltimore will be extra special as we bring you TAG WARS 2014!

The tag team scene in ROH is always fast paced and competitive, with current ROH World Tag Team Champions reDRagon constantly raising the bar. Right now, reDRagon are in Japan showing the entire world why they are the preeminent team to beat! But Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish will be back in the States by November 22nd, where they are already scheduled to defend their titles at TAG WARS.

TAG WARS is a unique single night tournament where ANY of the teams entered can end the evening as the ROH Tag Team Champions! Six contender teams will be entered. The first round consists of 3 tag matches as these six teams are pitted against each other. The three advancing teams will go on to the finals: a four-way elimination tag with reDRagon standing in the fourth corner. And the titles WILL be on the line!

Today we can announce the first team entered into TAG WARS. When you talk tag team wrestling in 2014, one team is constantly requested by ROH fans. With their hectic international schedule, this team is in high demand at all times. But on November 22nd, THE YOUNG BUCKS will be in Baltimore! Matt and Nick Jackson are former ROH World Tag Team Champions and have been embroiled in a long standing rivalry with Fish and O'Reilly. They would relish the opportunity to take the titles from them once again!

At TAG WARS, the Bucks will compete against five other teams contending to the ROH tag titles. Ring of Honor is THE place to be for top level tag team wrestling and November 22nd will be no different. Don't miss out on TAG WARS 2014! For tickets to be there live, click HERE.

RING OF HONOR WRESTLING PRESENTS:
THE ROAD TO FINAL BATTLE: TAG WARS 2014
NATIONAL TV TAPING

William J. Myers Pavilion
4300 West Bay Ave.
Baltimore, Md. 21225
Doors open 5:00pm / 6:00 PM bell time

Basically, there will be three tag matches featuring six teams, and the winners of those three matches will go into a four-way against reDRagon at the end of the night. Should be fun. Any idea of who the six teams will be?

The Young Bucks
The Addiction
Monster Mafia
The Decade (Strong and Jacobs?)
The Briscoes (Maybe?)
War Machine (Maybe?)
The Kingdom (Maybe some combination of Cole, Bennett, and Taven?)

I'm wondering if they're saving up for the return of Raymond Rowe so that War Machine can get in on this. Or maybe they'll have that Red Scorpion and Grey Wolf team again, which I wouldn't reeeaaally want to see in this tournament, as they're too green and aren't over. What I'm really hoping for is an appearance by The Forever Hooligans.

Gonzalez

Banned
The Back To The Future franchise is one of the most remarkable movie franchises in history. If you told a studio today to back a franchise that has no significant gun violence, no on screen body count, and Marty's romantic situation has already been settled in the first 20 minutes of part 1, they would laugh right in your face and send you to the psych ward. It's a sci-fi comedy action-adventure, with very little action, and mostly contains a very pedestrian adventure starting a teenager, and an old scientist.

Says the guy who thinks the "Meltzer Driver" is the greatest thing ever.

The Meltzer Driver actually looks effective, though - Starship Pain, or whatever the hell Morrison's calling it these days, looks like ass because he never actually hits the thing. It's just a flashy Arabian press corkscrew flip with zero impact.

Alucard

Banned
Just watched the Age of Ultron trailer. WTF at showing way too much. They pretty much showed every one of the forms you'll get to see of him in the movie. At least, that's the perspective I got.

Also, I'm soooo hyped to see John Wick tonight. HNNNNNG.

It makes much more sense to buy the network for 3 months no commitment. Rumble, Mania, and SummerSlam for abnout $40 bucks a year instead of the $120 a year for all of the PPV's

Shit you can even buy MITB and still make out on the deal and not have to feel forced to watch the rest of the inconsequential PPV's

Top Bottom