• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Aiii

So not worth it
edgechristianqisn3.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
I see we have forgotten how mediocre Rock's last run was?

I also see we are ignoring everything Ambrose does because "IF YOU SMEEELEEELALALALALALALA WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING?"

There are very many awful things in WWE right now, but to claim the entire roster is devoid of charisma is taking things too far.

I also see we are ignoring everything Ambrose does because "IF YOU SMEEELEEELALALALALALALA WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING?"

There are very many awful things in WWE right now, but to claim the entire roster is devoid of charisma is taking things too far.

There's a handful of charismatic guys on the roster, let's be real.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Charisma is one thing. Rock has a Super Sayian next level presence while silent.

My theory is they hold wrestlers back to prevent huge salaries.

Unfortunately for current wrestlers, it's as if Jordan could come back every few years and still average 30 a game with no sweat while the rest of the league could barely hit a jump shot.

There are plenty of guys with a basic level of charisma, but in late 90's or early 00's WWE or even mid 80's NWA, Dean Ambrose would've been just another guy. And Dolph Ziggler would've been in a lower card JTTS blowjob babyface tag team.

And I say this as somebody who thinks the actual "wrestling" in the WWE is the best it's ever been.

I think they hold wrestlers back by having a script for everything. You know Rocky has, at the most, some bullet points for his promos and then just goes out there and says whatever he wants - it'd be nice to believe that the rest of the roster are being given that same benefit, rather than word for word reciting some soap opera bullshit given to them by some soap opera-grade hack of a writer.

DMczaf

I think they hold wrestlers back by having a script for everything. You know Rocky has, at the most, some bullet points for his promos and then just goes out there and says whatever he wants - it'd be nice to believe that the rest of the roster are being given that same benefit, rather than word for word reciting some soap opera bullshit given to them by some soap opera-grade hack of a writer.

The irony of it all is WWE Network running this Monday Night Wars series where every episode has the same "We were behind the times, we finally let guys create their own characters and gimmicks and let them be themselves" narrative....and here we are in 2014 where they are behind the times, everyone is scripted and given shitty gimmicks, no one (besides CM Punk) speaks up about their position in the company.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The irony of it all is WWE Network running this Monday Night Wars series where every episode has the same "We were behind the times, we finally let guys create their own characters and gimmicks and let them be themselves" narrative....and here we are in 2014 where they are behind the times, everyone is scripted and given shitty gimmicks, no one (besides CM Punk) speaks up about their position in the company.
Sometimes even universes are on repeat.

Fox318

Meanwhile they always cut to wrestlemania 9 and the clown match.

Shit looks just like the gator shit.

kiguel182

Really great episode of Raw.

Ambrose was great as is this whole story if Cena doesn't end up on top. Really interesting set up they've got here.

Rock returning was nice I guess but wasn't really needed. I doubt they are going to do a ton with him so it was just a chance for him to do his routine and leave. I hate this whole Rusev storyline so that doesn't help.

Sandow out classing Miz is always great to see. He is a joy to watch and it made me really happy how the crowd was reacting to him.

Brooklyn was great tonight. If we had this crowd every week the shows would always look better.

Browny

Banned
Anyone who had anything to do with that segment should be locked in a room and forced to watch Shane Douglas promos until their brain simply gives up.

Alucard

Banned
Bret just told Undertaker it's time to wake up to the real world.
I..Is he shooting?

God damn that Winged Eagle belt. Sets off my Bret Hart Boner Scale.

The winged eagle belt is probably my favourite of all time. That's not even the nostalgia talking. It's just a wicked design and looks super classy. Not like the create-a-belt they have now.

Striker

Skimming through clips on YT, only thing I wanted to watch was Rock's clip. Easily outclassing any other guy on the roster with his mic ability. And this is for no storyline or feud purpose. Just random. Lana is the worst though. I'm surprised they've gone so long with "Shut up!" and "You're stupid!". I mean Hassan lasted roughly 7-8 months (almost the same length as Rusev's been on the main roster, give or take) and they did a variety of cool shit for promos/segments. With Rusev/Lana, it's the same cut and dry material, just a different opponent. One time it was interesting and that was because of Zeb.

Fox318

This shit right here reeks like a 1995 Raw episode. Thank god my hometowns intelligence was not insulted last night. This is stupid indeed.

If this was a Saturday morning program targeted at kids I could see it being fun but you need to target your audience.

Cagey

Banned

The people who thought his last run was mediocre are people with bad opinions.

Alucard

Banned
Hope yall are ready to talk about how Ambrose was never over and his character wasn't going to go anywhere and all his promos sounded aimless and the same after Cena pins him.

Psyched for it, Data!

Wasn't me. But I certainly have zero interest in watching The Rock wrestle ever again.

Michael Elgin quitting ROH via Twitter is definitely a work, right...?

ROH has walked this line pretty well, so I'm not sure. John Pollock says it's not a work, but who knows?

Samus4145

I don't think the cameras showed it last night, but when the crowd chanted for Sandow, and he wasn't in the middle of mimicking a hold, he put his hands behind the back and made a motion to egg the crowd on to get louder.

Was weird to be fast forwarding through Raw and suddenly spy The Rock standing on the ramp, that's one way to get my attention. The Rock could be reading me a depressing tale of tragedy that would move men to tears and he'd still be able to make it electrifying, just a shame that Rusev didn't get to land one blow leading to a glorious Rock oversell.

For the most part it's like the only enjoyment I get from Raw right now is Ambrose shenanigans, Sandow's Miz mimicry and Kane in 2014 with all the salty posts it brings from mark arse marks.

Sephzilla

Rusev is just incredible in every aspect. He has staying power.

Yeah, Rusev has become one of my favorite guys on the active roster right now. He works his gimmick well, doesn't really have bad matches (and when he rarely does have one it's usually his opponents fault), and he actually knows how to sell and make is opponents look good.

Also Lana.

RP912

Banned
I think the issue with the younger talent is the fact that creative won't let them embrace their character or in most cases...won't put more time in character development. Sure there's Bray Wyatt and a few others but the majority of the roster just seems like a bunch of high school jocks being forced to read from a script.

The reason why wrestlers from back in the days in the 90s and 80s were so over was the simple fact that character development was taking serious. Plus Kayfabe was apart of the wrestling code which Vince fucked up with the whole "attitude era" shit. It gets to the point where I can't take some of the storylines and gimmicks seriously since there's most emphasis for reality but let's focus on gimmicks and make it fun again.

Bottom line its a mess.

Rusev is just incredible in every aspect. He has staying power.

I'm shocked out how much I like Rusev and happy that this entire storyline is working. It's just about the only thing besides Ambrose that's working for me at the moment.

Once Rusev is defeated though (hopefully not until Wrestlemania) I'm curious to see how his gimmick works. Also, how long do they keep Lana with him.

Until then, he better get the US Title soon.

How bad was that Reigns segment last night, eh? I don't mean to crap on the guy because it mostly wasn't his fault, but everything about that sucked.

Top Bottom