• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hmm, they changed the narrative a bit:

betting a full 2 years before the next. 2 years from release...

To be fair Quest 2 is pretty awesome and I can understand why they are sticking with it. I think it’s much more successful then they thought it would be so made then change direction and stick with what they have.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
To be fair Quest 2 is pretty awesome and I can understand why they are sticking with it. I think it’s much more successful then they thought it would be so made then change direction and stick with what they have.

I think with air link and a few more tricks up their sleeves, it’ll have enough legs until their Half Dome tech can be made at a good entry price.

But they have a lot of things coming in the pipeline that will change VR forever and leave these current techs in the dust

Half Dome
Full body Avatar with face recognition
Eye tracking+AI foveated

I think with air link and a few more tricks up their sleeves, it’ll have enough legs until their Half Dome tech can be made at a good entry price.

But they have a lot of things coming in the pipeline that will change VR forever and leave these current techs in the dust

Half Dome
Full body Avatar with face recognition
Eye tracking+AI foveated
What's half Dome?

Romulus

For those new VR players that have a PC and like space games, give Elite Dangerous a try.

Just the scale of space alone is mindblowing in VR. I've never felt so small in my life.

I played it without VR years ago and was bored out of my skull because it can't convey scale on a monitor. Feels like it was made for VR.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Just the scale of space alone is mindblowing in VR. I've never felt so small in my life.
I have it (elite) but I don't have the time to get into it yet, from what I understand the learning curve is really steep.
I know what you mean though, I had the same experience in Lone Echo, the sense of scale and space was sometimes terrifying

Last edited:

WizeVibez

Banned
For those new VR players that have a PC and like space games, give Elite Dangerous a try.

I played it without VR years ago and was bored out of my skull because it can't convey scale on a monitor. Feels like it was made for VR.

I haven't been able to get my EGS copy of Elite Dangerous to work in VR yet. Might give it another try but previously no control scheme worked even in the main menu.
Which is sad because playing Elite in VR seems like something that would take me over in the best way.

Yup, game is much better in vr, imo. Drifting in space, alone and with nothing but the twinkling stars and passing space debris, it really makes me forget that I'm actually sitting in a well-lit room with a piece of hardware strapped to my face. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
What's half Dome?

All current VR headsets have fixed focus lenses, which, the lenses create the 3D effect but the world is focused at a constant distance.
Half Dome basically is a variable lens system which focus where you look and will give the correct distance perception accordingly. Much less eye strains, but also more realistic with how our eyes work.

Half Dome 3 headset is also ridiculously small for the tech it packed.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I've had an Oculus CV1 for quite a while and just bought a Quest 2 this week, i can't get enough of VR.
As mentioned in a previous thread, gaming is a concept and way of life for me, being able to use it as an escape from pain and disability, and VR takes it that one step further.
Frinkin love it!
I think this is where VR can truly shine and no doubt does but anyone with a physical disability, wheelchair bound etc it's gotta be an incredible experience for them, especially Google Earth VR, street view etc so I can understand how Facebook sees it as the next big social thing.

Connecting people from all over the world in one massive digital space that places everyone on a equal footing would be amazing for people house or bed bound and would do wonders for their mental health and well being.

On another note can anyone who has played both tell me is there much of a difference between Moss on Quest2 & PSVR? I'm playing it on PSVR and it's incredible and was thinking of purchasing a Quest2 but wondering yes the resolution would be better but can a mobile chip really compete with PS4 Pro in VR so does the game look like a really good mobile game minus the additional effects that console games have

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Stupid question time but is Lone Echo available for the Quest 2? I can only find the store page for the Rift.

Can only be played with oculus link to Quest 2 (thus rift store). It is not natively supported (in headset).

I’ve had the game on my wish list for a while now, oculus store promos sucks a bit, or they have big sales at a certain period of the year?

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
Can only be played with oculus link to Quest 2 (thus rift store). It is not natively supported (in headset).

I’ve had the game on my wish list for a while now, oculus store promos sucks a bit, or they have big sales at a certain period of the year?

Incorrect. It can be played through Virtual Desktop, via Steam.

I haven't been able to get my EGS copy of Elite Dangerous to work in VR yet. Might give it another try but previously no control scheme worked even in the main menu.
Which is sad because playing Elite in VR seems like something that would take me over in the best way.
I have the free esg copy and it works fine, you just have to launch it from the epic store, which then opens the elite dangerous launcher and you then run it from there.

Game is amazing in vr. It's my most played vr game actually at about 50 hours. Manual landing at a rotating space station is always a blast.

It's on the back burner for now though as I hit the full on grind but it's so good.

scale is everything in VR - first impact I had right away in Battlezone demo.

it's not that things are giant-sized, it's that depth perception gives you correct scale with characters, rooms and objects, buildings and landscapes of appropriate size - and then you realize how big and epic the game worlds in Elite Dangerous, Skyrim, No Man's Sky, Obduction, Borderlands and others really are...

is there much of a difference between Moss on Quest2 & PSVR? I'm playing it on PSVR and it's incredible and was thinking of purchasing a Quest2 but wondering yes the resolution would be better but can a mobile chip really compete with PS4 Pro in VR so does the game look like a really good mobile game minus the additional effects that console games have

I don't have Moss on Quest, but I did get again on Quest Apex Construct, Rush and Angry Birds: Isle of Pigs, as well as Rec Room.

usual translations, with some loss of details and dynamic shadows and an extra blurry texture or two, but visuals intact overall. But the resolution is so much better, specially surprisingly crisp in Rush which for whatever reasons looks like trash on Pro psvr. I don't know why many games struggle with subpar resolution on psvr - heck, Hitman has modern slick graphics and is so sharp... Apex Construct loses metallic shading (though possible on Quest) and some textures, and resolution is about the same.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Incorrect. It can be played through Virtual Desktop, via Steam.

Lone Echo and steam? Not sure I follow the steps...

but yea, I forgot you could just launch virtual desktop if you bought it to launch the oculus app game, there’s that. Oculus air link should be helpful in these extra steps removal.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Heads up on a couple more Steam VR bundles going right now.(*disclaimer* always check the official Steam listing for VR headset compatibility):

1. Binary Mill VR Bundle ($41 on Steam | $29 on Green Man Gaming):

2. Platinum VR Collection mix and match (2 for $7, 3 for $9, or 5 for $15 on Fanatical)
-Sprint Vector, Raw Data, Battle Wake, Cosmic Trip, Svrvive: The Deus Helix, Conductor, Dungeons and Treasure, Polybius, Rainbow Reactor, Craft Keep VR, GRIP VR

I went with the $5 for $15 to test it out and it worked fine. This is what I ended up going with...
8X4LHrM.jpg

I like the idea of having a mixed library of native Quest 2 games and SteamVR games. I got my headset just before Christmas and now I have 22 SteamVR games, and 8 Quest 2 games(not including the radical SideQuest/AppLab games!). Loving this thing.

Between the Humble Spring Into VR bundle, Fanatical Platinum VR Bundle, and Binary Mill Bundle you can get 16 games for $60, or $3.75 per game. Pretty sweet considering how many good to great games are in there.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm still stuck on v27. Hopefully the general Quest 2 populace will get it soon. Anything better than Virtual Desktop would be amazing since Virtual Desktop has been a game changer. I hope they don't try to mess with the functionality of VD in some nefarious way. It's always best to have options. Maybe Airlink will solve the problem Steam has with identifying what type of controls are being used.

Anyway, I just tried Surgeon Simulator and that's some real fucked up stuff. Felt like Hannibal Lector. Gave Sprint Vector a shot and holy shit those jumps/drop offs really make you feel the g-force. I'm glad I have better VR legs now that would have made me barf pumpkin ice cream all over.

Kazza

Am I at the end of Superhot? The last level I played told me to look down, and once I did the elevator suddenly fell down. Then I was back in the little office with the post-its and floppy disks. I noticed a floppy disk lodged in a broken monitor, so inserted it into the drive and was taken to a room with an unarmed red guy in front of me and a pair of hands squeezing into knuckles. I was guessing that it wanted me to clench my hands into knuckles too, but nothing happens when I do. Is the game just bugging out?

Wonko_C

Am I at the end of Superhot? The last level I played told me to look down, and once I did the elevator suddenly fell down. Then I was back in the little office with the post-its and floppy disks. I noticed a floppy disk lodged in a broken monitor, so inserted it into the drive and was taken to a room with an unarmed red guy in front of me and a pair of hands squeezing into knuckles. I was guessing that it wanted me to clench my hands into knuckles too, but nothing happens when I do. Is the game just bugging out?
Squeeze your hands into a fist and punch to the red guy.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
I'm still stuck on v27. Hopefully the general Quest 2 populace will get it soon. Anything better than Virtual Desktop would be amazing since Virtual Desktop has been a game changer. I hope they don't try to mess with the functionality of VD in some nefarious way. It's always best to have options. Maybe Airlink will solve the problem Steam has with identifying what type of controls are being used.

Anyway, I just tried Surgeon Simulator and that's some real fucked up stuff. Felt like Hannibal Lector. Gave Sprint Vector a shot and holy shit those jumps/drop offs really make you feel the g-force. I'm glad I have better VR legs now that would have made me barf pumpkin ice cream all over.
They’re saying general rollout from Monday.

TriSuit666

Banned
Lone Echo and steam? Not sure I follow the steps...

but yea, I forgot you could just launch virtual desktop if you bought it to launch the oculus app game, there’s that. Oculus air link should be helpful in these extra steps removal.
Add a non-Steam game. Select the LE executable, then click ‘show in VR’, and it appears just nicely, and works ok, as I’m playing it that way.

You can also launch the executable directly from the VD desktop streamer.

The only definitive game I’ve had trouble launching through VD is Vader Immortal (but I’ve refunded it, so not sure if it’ll now work with AirLink).

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Thanks. Last time the red guy was too far beyond my guardian area, but I'll try again.
Sorry I thought you were on an earlier part of the game. You do have to hold the button shown on each controller in front of the red guy, it will activate some kind of telekinetic power that blows it up if you hold it long enough (a couple of seconds). Make sure both your hands are directed at the enemy you want to "squeeze". Check this video from the 0:50 mark:

Last edited:
Some questions.

1. Little confused on the Oculus store and what's quest exclusive mean. Do quest store items have crossbuy to steamvr? If so where do I see that info?

2. Take a game like beat saber, should I buy on steam for futureproofing? Does it run better on oculus store since I'm on quest 2?

3. How do I know if a game on oculus store is running internally within the headset vs streaming from computer? Where does it say that? I was assuming beatsaber was an internal game but it showed recommended computer specs so idk.

4. I am playing Alyx with virtual desktop. It's running great with no issues. Does oculus link run things sharper? Less latency?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Some peoples are reporting they got v28 patch on their headset. Apparently, seems to be less laggy than VD :eek:

Fucking sweet.

I can run Alyx pretty damn well with VD, but still do occasionally get some jerkiness. If Air Link smoothes that shit out completely, happy days.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Come On Tars Come On Tars

I haven't seen any games with "crossbuy" support ala Xbox Play Anywhere(Xbox+PC). I strictly buy games for Quest 2 off the mobile app or in the headset, but you can browse "Quest" games on their site under the Quest tab.

Some games on the PC app are "Rift" games and require the app and a cable. Asgard's Wrath is an example of this since it requires the Link Cable and Oculus PC app. Airlink should solve all this going by the reddit above, since it sees your Airlink as a Link Cable session.

I have Beat Saber for Quest 2 and Steam, and the reason is convenience and portability on Quest, and custom soundtrack support and other mods on Steam.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Best free (or cheap) Quest 2 native apps/games to show off to my 10 and 13 yr old nieces?
Use the url applab.games in your headset web browser, or on a smartphone with the Oculus App installed and linked to your headset to install Applab games from the official Oculus store. You can even use these links from GAF on your headset or phone and it works, too.

It's essentially SideQuest games without having to register dev mode or sideload. Makes it easy to find Applab games since they're unlisted in the Oculus store.

For kids that age I'd go with V-Speedway and Sky Squadron(videos in the store listing after the jump):

Simple controls that are pretty much the same on both games: middle finger triggers to hold steering wheel or flightstick/turret, and index finger triggers to accerelate/break or aim/shoot the turret. Simple, fun, and lightweight games that won't make you spew.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Some questions.

1. Little confused on the Oculus store and what's quest exclusive mean. Do quest store items have crossbuy to steamvr? If so where do I see that info?

2. Take a game like beat saber, should I buy on steam for futureproofing? Does it run better on oculus store since I'm on quest 2?
it might run better if you don't have decent connection because it's running native on the headset. but quest games are also always going to look worse and modding is a pain in the arse (or impossible) 🤷‍♂️ if you want your games on steam you need to buy them on steam (it's also cheaper)
3. How do I know if a game on oculus store is running internally within the headset vs streaming from computer? Where does it say that? I was assuming beatsaber was an internal game but it showed recommended computer specs so idk.
you were probably looking at the rift store!? every quest game is running on the headset.
4. I am playing Alyx with virtual desktop. It's running great with no issues. Does oculus link run things sharper? Less latency?
no one knows because facebook is really slow at rolling out updates. there's like one guy on reddit who seems to have it but he's not very active..

--------

Coming to the Oculus Quest platform on 13/05/2021! (Both Oculus Quest 1 and 2.)

Zero Caliber: Reloaded is a story based first person military shooter with a full-blown single player campaign and Co-operative mode (up to 4 players). Rise through the ranks to unlock a wide variety of weapons and attachments, customize them on-the-fly, climb, jump, crouch, shoot, get to cover, reload, repeat - be prepared for a mind-blowingly immersive experience!

# SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN You'll find yourself in a war-ridden, dystopian United States as a newly enlisted OSA soldier. What does OSA stand for? Outer States of America, the last bastion of hope. War over water destroyed the world as we know it. A fearsome organization worshipping Tlaloc, the aztec God of rain emerged from the chaos. What is even worse, they know something that can change the fate of humanity...

# CO-OPERATIVE MODE Invite your friends to your Co-op session, communicate via the built-in voice chat feature and fight together throughout the whole campaign!

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
Some questions.

1. They are separate storefronts - I don't believe there is any crossbuy ability (but happy to be corrected if wrong).
2. The PCVR version of Beat Saber has higher fidelity and can set ingame resolution settings. Things like shader effects are boosted (eg, the dodge blocks have internal distortion effects on the PC version that aren't present on the Quest native app). They are otherwise the same game gameplay wise.
3. Native Quest apps are Android apk's versus standard Windows Executables for PCVR.
4. Wireless solutions will always be limited by the throughput of your router and type of wifi you have, a direct connection is likely (but not always per wifi throughput) to be a faster solution, and suffer from less latency and dropouts.

it might run better if you don't have decent connection because it's running native on the headset. but quest games are also always going to look worse and modding is a pain in the arse (or impossible) 🤷‍♂️ if you want your games on steam you need to buy them on steam (it's also cheaper)

you were probably looking at the rift store!? every quest game is running on the headset.

no one knows because facebook is really slow at rolling out updates. there's like one guy on reddit who seems to have it but he's not very active..

--------

Coming to the Oculus Quest platform on 13/05/2021! (Both Oculus Quest 1 and 2.)

Zero Caliber: Reloaded is a story based first person military shooter with a full-blown single player campaign and Co-operative mode (up to 4 players). Rise through the ranks to unlock a wide variety of weapons and attachments, customize them on-the-fly, climb, jump, crouch, shoot, get to cover, reload, repeat - be prepared for a mind-blowingly immersive experience!

# SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN You'll find yourself in a war-ridden, dystopian United States as a newly enlisted OSA soldier. What does OSA stand for? Outer States of America, the last bastion of hope. War over water destroyed the world as we know it. A fearsome organization worshipping Tlaloc, the aztec God of rain emerged from the chaos. What is even worse, they know something that can change the fate of humanity...

# CO-OPERATIVE MODE Invite your friends to your Co-op session, communicate via the built-in voice chat feature and fight together throughout the whole campaign!

that one was promised for psvr a long time ago - broken promises have been a constant once VR devs realized the poor controls they'd have to work with. Plus the exodus to Quest anyway...

still, I'm not into these arena shooters. Single player campaign? Yeah right, we know full well what kind of simplistic bots these indies come up with...

RPS37

So I think I’m hating how the elite strap fits on my head.
However I’ve already purchased the official case to go with it.
If I was to get...say..the BMTick strap like some random YouTube dude recommended, would it fit in the official case?
More specifically, is there a strap besides the official strap, that’s comfortable, that fits with the official case?
Am I just 100 down the drain here? 🥲

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Randomly got a 30% discount code on the Oculus Store, maybe because I haven't bought anything in a while. Or maybe everyone gets it. Bought Pistol Whip, pretty fun once you figure out how it's meant to be played (rhythmically - which the game and its tutorial does a pretty terrible job explaining). Ain't no Beat Saber though, that game just doesn't get old.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Randomly got a 30% discount code on the Oculus Store, maybe because I haven't bought anything in a while. Or maybe everyone gets it. Bought Pistol Whip, pretty fun once you figure out how it's meant to be played (rhythmically - which the game and its tutorial does a pretty terrible job explaining). Ain't no Beat Saber though, that game just doesn't get old.
They keep sending me codes.
I think the only thing i bought was VD

RPS37

I noticed I was getting a lot less strain from sitting rather than standing.
I dunno. These elite straps are sold out lots of places maybe I just need to mess around with it more.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Anyone with shit eyes (glasses) that have prescription lenses on their quest 2? Any recommendations? I saw those magnetic clip ones from VR wave and Reloptix, but i was also wondering if that is not creating too thick of a package to the point you need to use the glass extension adapter without glasses..

Feedback would be appreciated.

Top Bottom