• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Only got occulus library atm
I'll be the "get Beat Saber" guy. Also make sure to check out applab.games for a bunch of free games and demos along with some early access paid content you can try out from the Oculus store without sideloading. They have cool stuff like Ancient Dungeon and Sky Squadron.

Last edited:
Anyone with shit eyes (glasses) that have prescription lenses on their quest 2? Any recommendations? I saw those magnetic clip ones from VR wave and Reloptix, but i was also wondering if that is not creating too thick of a package to the point you need to use the glass extension adapter without glasses..

Feedback would be appreciated.
I've got prescription lenses in my rift cv1 from Vroptician and they are great. Not the same headset I know but I can say least vouch for this company.

In this headset it doesn't make it too thick, I just have it a little looser then before as the lenses are closer to my eyes. It's way better than wearing glasses.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Walking Dead Saints & Sinners is probably the most complete game that you can compare to a AAA console game that runs natively on the Quest 2.

It’s a bit of a leap as first VR experiences go no? I guess it depends on peoples but Saints&Sinners made me uncomfortable even after a week of VR experiences. Half Life’s Alyx warp around mode is way more comfortable by comparison.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
you're crazy if you believe that out of context inflation numbers.

I had the 2600 in the very early 80s, here in Brazil. My father would never get one if it were that expensive, man - specially with all import taxes and conversion rates and all. Yet, it was very popular here too.
In fairness, by the early 80s Ataris had dropped from like $300 to $125, and eventually $50 by the mid 80s.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
On the Oculus app for Win10 I enabled Public Beta participation and it immediately downloaded a bunch of shit including v28 for the Windows app. It didn't start the update for the headset, but I suppose that's what that zip file posted here is for. I have too much shit to do right now, but I'm excited to sit down and give it a shot later tonight.

Fess

Quest 3 might need individually adjusted lenses...
Just broke my real glasses, not sure but I suspect it was because they were tucked quite tightly inside the Quest 2. 🥸😑

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Quest 3 might need individually adjusted lenses...
Just broke my real glasses, not sure but I suspect it was because they were tucked quite tightly inside the Quest 2. 🥸😑
laser your eyes srsly it's 2021

Last edited:

Tygeezy

On the Oculus app for Win10 I enabled Public Beta participation and it immediately downloaded a bunch of shit including v28 for the Windows app. It didn't start the update for the headset, but I suppose that's what that zip file posted here is for. I have too much shit to do right now, but I'm excited to sit down and give it a shot later tonight.
The beta version apparently doesn’t have airlink. It’s said you need the release version of the desktop app.

Only got occulus library atm

right now there's the Start an Epic Journey Duo Pack sale with Apex Construct and The Wizards on sale for just $17,79.

Hardly the best games to begin with in VR, but both quite standout titles on Quest: some of the few action-adventure titles with progression, combat, story. And both very good at VR interactions: Apex with bow and shield, Wizards with gesture-based spell casting.

If you want more than the usual Quest minigames, these are essential.

Last edited:

Fess

laser your eyes srsly it's 2021
I’m in a phase where things change too fast, 4 years since I bought my last pair of glasses and let’s just say that 4K is no concern for me on the new consoles lol

I'd be more concerned with the headset lenses...
Yup I know about the risk for scratches, they don’t touch as long as I have the spacer but they should have silicone edges or something, a friend of mine said there was a risk of scratching both the lenses and the glasses 😬

SScorpio

Anyone with shit eyes (glasses) that have prescription lenses on their quest 2? Any recommendations? I saw those magnetic clip ones from VR wave and Reloptix, but i was also wondering if that is not creating too thick of a package to the point you need to use the glass extension adapter without glasses..

Feedback would be appreciated.

I tried the self printable magnetic ones off Treatstock, but my eyes suck too bad so even with the highest index lenses they were too thick. I'm using a different set of adapters I ordered from Amazon with Zenni lenses.

If I was doing it again, I'd order a set from somewhere. After having to order the adapter and lenses myself, I saved less than $20 and it was a big hassle.

All that said, if you need glasses, or even wear contacts. Get prescription lenses. I found the experience to be better than either.

Fess

I tried the self printable magnetic ones off Treatstock, but my eyes suck too bad so even with the highest index lenses they were too thick. I'm using a different set of adapters I ordered from Amazon with Zenni lenses.

If I was doing it again, I'd order a set from somewhere. After having to order the adapter and lenses myself, I saved less than $20 and it was a big hassle.

All that said, if you need glasses, or even wear contacts. Get prescription lenses. I found the experience to be better than either.
This is interesting! I have no idea how this work, I have progressive glasses (short and long range correction), can I use a receipt of that type for prescription lenses or should I use only short range correction?

this kind of validation from a classic videogame company is always nice:

yep, Taito, the creators of Space Invaders. Namco used to host a VR arcade chain in japan and Atari, well, Rebellion brought their IP for Battlezone and made the excellent 2016 Battlezone to kickoff the VR revolution with style...

Wonko_C

this kind of validation from a classic videogame company is always nice:

yep, Taito, the creators of Space Invaders. Namco used to host a VR arcade chain in japan and Atari, well, Rebellion brought their IP for Battlezone and made the excellent 2016 Battlezone to kickoff the VR revolution with style...

Let's hope Arkanoid and Space Invaders Extreme get the VR treatment next.

Thabian

I just bought the Quest 2, really looking forward to getting back into VR (previously i had the PSVR).

Are we expecting any big news from tomorrows Oculus event?

Resident Evil 4 on Quest 2 is all I've heard about so far.

Also, you might look into getting in on the Humble VR Bundle, expires in 17 hours.

$15 for 8 games is the best value you'll get for VR games, especially compared to the Oculus Store. Note, these are Steam keys so you'll need a Link cable or VD/Air.

How is the RE7 pcvr modding coming along? Good enough for a first play through or should I wait?

Shout out to lazy ass Capcom for making us do this shit on our own.

Romulus

How is the RE7 pcvr modding coming along? Good enough for a first play through or should I wait?

Shout out to lazy ass Capcom for making us do this shit on our own.

What if Sony fronted the money for the VR development? It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Romulus

Actually, according to the 1TB data that hackers stole from Capcom, that's exactly what happened.
Sony paid $5 million USD for RE7 VR/timed DLC/demo exclusivity.

Well, in that case, I don't see any reason why it should just come to other platforms for charity reasons. Exclusivity sucks, but it is what it is.

Well, in that case, I don't see any reason why it should just come to other platforms for charity reasons. Exclusivity sucks, but it is what it is.
Yeah I guess that's fair if they footed the development bill. I was under the impression they paid for 1 year vr exclusivity and capcom didn't bother when the contract was up. Shame as there is profit to be made I'd imagine

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
24hr Flash Sale just started on the Quest 2 store...$99 for 6 of the best games on Quest 2.

I'm tempted to get this, but I already have a couple of these on Steam. There is something to be said for having the native Quest versions. After they adjust for owned games on the store, it would be $88 for me.

RPS37

24hr Flash Sale just started on the Quest 2 store...$99 for 6 of the best games on Quest 2.

I'm tempted to get this, but I already have a couple of these on Steam. There is something to be said for having the native Quest versions. After they adjust for owned games on the store, it would be $88 for me.
Damn....so tempting.
Def need to try Pop One and Superhot. Already bought Pistol Whip.
Job Simulator can’t be that interesting. ArizonaSu shine can’t be anywhere near as good as Saints and Sinners.
I wanted Eleven Table Tennis, but I don’t have the room.
After all of that, should I pull the trigger?

I thought I read a typo. But no, they're not charging $9.99 for a bunch of real old casual VR minigames, an overrated battle Royale and a rhythm game disguising as action movie. It's really 100 bucks.

fuck you, Oculus.

kizito

Damn....so tempting.
Job Simulator can’t be that interesting. ArizonaSu shine can’t be anywhere near as good as Saints and Sinners.
Job Simulator is not very interesting, that was among the first wave of fully fledged VR games, but it has no depth. Eleven Table Tennis is extremely fun and I highly recommend it, very close to the real experience, especially with a paddle adaptor.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Damn....so tempting.
I'm in the same boat, in that I already have Job Simulator and Superhot on Steam. Both are awesome games.

Good news is they prorate the cost of the bundle if you already own a game on the store. Eleven Table Tennis is great. I find you need the side to side space more than front to back.

You'll get something like $14 off for having Pistol Whip. That's makes around $86 for Population One($30) and Superhot($25) as your main games. Let's say we promo those to $36 combined, that means you'd be paying $50 for Job Simulator($20), Arizona Sunshine($40), and Eleven Table Tennis($20).

Personally, I'm going to put that money into some games I've been wanting to play: Gorn, Premium Bowling, and Dash Dash World.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I picked up The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets on Daily Deal for $10 the other day. I had to get it when I found out Wintergatan did the soundtrack. Made a little video of the first level.

It's hard to show in flatland how much depth the levels have, you can lean in and stare into the house and discover little details scattered around. It reminds me a bit of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. It has hand tracking support now, but it didn't work very well for me in this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom