• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

nemiroff

Gold Member
For those of you with a Quest 3 and are using Virtual Desktop on a pretty fast wired to wifi connection; How much does the impact on latency and image quality affect your experience? Do you think it's really noticeable, not noticeable, or acceptable?

Last edited:

Romulus

For those of you with a Quest 3 and are using Virtual Desktop on a pretty fast wired to wifi connection; How much does the impact on latency and image quality affect your experience? Do you think it's really noticeable, not noticeable, or acceptable?

It's really not a thing. I switch from psvr2, quest standalone, pcvr wireless and never notice it. So long as your pc has a wired connection is the main thing.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Yeah it doesn't bother me at all, way better than wired when I compared that.

It also gives substantially better overall performance than wired (I mean as far as the strain on your PC). That's not what I originally expected, but apparently is due to the heavy encoding that is used to transmit over the wire--whereas, in comparison, the compression algorithms for the wireless connection are heavily optimized by third parties. Virtual Desktop did an amazing job at making it run with barely any extra strain on your system.

Plus they have the other smart optimizations like the option to turn on superresolution or framerate interpolation on the headset side, using only the Quest's GPU to smoothen out the experience and thereby allowing you to use a lower res & framerate on the PC itself if the game is too demanding.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Thanks guys, I hear a lot of good things about it.

I’m looking to upgrade from my outdated HP Reverb G2 headset, but with so much happening in the PCVR space right now, I’m hesitant to spend ~4000 on a Somnium VR1 when the equivalent of it will be released for half the price in a few months, like the Pimax Crystal Super.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Currently playing the Wanderer that I picked up in the humble bundle. Really impressed, don't often here it talked about so wanted to give it a quick shoutout. It's a time traveling, escape room puzzle solving type of game.
Also been enjoying some asymmetric VR games with my kids, shame it's such a limited genre, as it is a great way to get multiple people involved without having multiple hesdsets.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

Hot5pur

Someone will have to explain to me how you burn through BILLIONs of dollars in R&D cost.

I've worked at startups where with ~100 million we've built instruments, cartridge, had a full software team, process development teams, manufacturing, etc, over the course of 3 years and only grew to 100-150 people total.
A billion dollars is a staggering sum, and they are burning 4-5 billion every 3 months. WTF.

Like by all means, burn your billions Mr. Zuckerberg so I can have nice VR, but damn.

Last edited:

hlm666

Someone will have to explain to me how you burn through BILLIONs of dollars in R&D cost.

I've worked at startups where with ~100 million we've built instruments, cartridge, had a full software team, process development teams, manufacturing, etc, over the course of 3 years and only grew to 100-150 people total.
A billion dollars is a staggering sum, and they are burning 4-5 billion every 3 months. WTF.

Like by all means, burn your billions Mr. Zuckerberg so I can have nice VR, but damn.
It's worth noting that it was the whole quest division and not solely r&d, they have software teams (1st and 3rd party) making games that chew into it and they also sold the quest 2 for a substantial loss according to some reports which account for a decent chunk of those past losses/costs and the quest 3 is being sold at a slight loss too apparently. I am surprised that according to the graph there that it has increased by so much though.

The link in that article you posted also says this.

"Within Reality Labs, over 50% of the spending is going to the research & development of AR glasses, around 40% to virtual reality, and around 10% to first-party content such as Horizon, he said. That’s a stark contrast to the popular perception Meta is spending most of its AR/VR budget on Horizon."

But moving back to their r&d costs, some of the lens and display research they have been doing is probably not cheap, there's probably a reasonable amount of research that also doesn't pan out that we never see and good software engineers wont be going to meta for cheap where as with a startup they may get equity in the company for smaller paycheck. But yeh it's still alot and there's probably some amount of creative accounting going on for tax purposes.

Stuff like the varifocal stuff mentioned in this video has been in research for years before the quest 3 release and if it pans out we wont see it in anything for probably many more years.

But yeh I'm with you in regards to letting zuck burn that cash so we can have nice VR ;) Has there ever been any info on how much microsoft spent on r&d for their mixed reality/hololens stuff? Because their r&d numbers are pretty juicy aswell but i've never seen a breakdown.

Romulus

Seems like some pretty smart compromises for the Quest version. Still get the open world and lots of NPCs but just toned down. If the controls are as good as the devs claim, it'll be the best VR version to own though. Which is pretty sad.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ve been waiting for the Quest 3 visuals update for Medieval Dynasty. I might try that tonight.
I’m on a VR kick and started Red Matter 2 instead. But I will maybe start the game tomorrow. Either way, I purchased the game a while back when I saw the dev was awesome and totally in touch with their audience.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Last edited:

poppabk

Hope this turns out good this is exactly what I have wanted from a VR game. Subnautica was too gamey, and Ocean Rift while a nice stop gap just didn't have the graphical quality.
Downloading the subside demo now and hope it holds up.

poppabk

Yeah subside seems very solid for a game made by a single person. Hopefully the levels open up significantly past the demos training level, I know this is not supposed to be deep sea diving but I want a much larger area and depths to explore. Graphics are great, controls are great, if the scale is increased this might be a day one purchase.

Alexios

So, this just got shadow dropped on Steam and looks pretty rad, hopefully it's awesome like its style and intent.

Last edited:

Romulus

I could be wrong, but my predication is this will suck. They haven't shown any hands on previews at all and the devs are pretty unknown.

Hope I'm wrong.

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
Top Bottom