• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

I'm finally back from vacation and I'm happy to say I jumped on this as soon as I saw it for the $300 dev kit. Thankfully supply wasn't super limited because I didn't see it for a day or so.

DieH@rd

Banned
There's a pretty good, pretty lengthy article about the Rift on the PA report:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...lus-rift-the-hardware-that-could-change-the-w

This part is awesome:
“Galvanic vestibular stimulation, have you ever heard of it?” he asked me. I shook my head. He described hardware that uses electrical signals to affect the small hairs on the inside of your ear through electrodes placed around your head. Luckey can make people feel like they’re falling, or flying forward, by using the right impulses.

“Moving forward is one of the easier ones. That’s something I’ve played with a lot. That’s something that would be very cool in a headset,” he said.

I imagine that not a lot of people could play with this movement simulation while they are standing. :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
This part is awesome:
“Galvanic vestibular stimulation, have you ever heard of it?” he asked me. I shook my head. He described hardware that uses electrical signals to affect the small hairs on the inside of your ear through electrodes placed around your head. Luckey can make people feel like they’re falling, or flying forward, by using the right impulses.

“Moving forward is one of the easier ones. That’s something I’ve played with a lot. That’s something that would be very cool in a headset,” he said.

I imagine that not a lot of people could play with this movement simulation while they are standing. :)

lol yeah.

I've read some research about this and I'm curious if you can actually achieve that at "6DOF", if you get what I mean. It looks like GVS works only for "faking" horizontal shifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlXYqfQHNuA&feature=related

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
This looks great. Hopefully they can integrate something like this in the audio system of some future Rift model.

Also, is there some simmilar solution that will give us vertical impression of movement? GVS is only for balance.

That's what I'm wondering as well. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned the "6DOF" stuff.

Also, I wonder how much responsive the GVS can be to changes of head orientation relative to movement. Say you turn your head left and right while accelerating in a car in GT. The GVS thing should be able to quickly "tilt" the stimulus orientation according to head orientation. Even tho you are accelerating in a fixed direction, the GVS can't just simulate an absolute "pull back" effect but rather a relative one. So for example, if you have your head turned to the left, the GVS should simulate a "pull left" sensation, rather than a pull back one.

1-D_FTW

There's a pretty good, pretty lengthy article about the Rift on the PA report:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...lus-rift-the-hardware-that-could-change-the-w

Exciting stuff.

I'm finally back from vacation and I'm happy to say I jumped on this as soon as I saw it for the $300 dev kit. Thankfully supply wasn't super limited because I didn't see it for a day or so.

:lol

I almost did a search for your username to see if you'd gotten a ban. Was wondering where you were.

I almost did a search for your username to see if you'd gotten a ban. Was wondering where you were.

I was off in the woods of the pacific northwest enjoying the Twin Peaks fest, also visiting the Milk Barn from Deadly Premonition and enjoying the Alan Wake atmosphere too. I was set up to get an e-mail notification from the official Oculus site, presuming they'd update that when the kickstarter went up, but they didn't. i just happened to check MTBS3D while I was away at one point and saw the kickstarter had began.

I can't wait to play fighter simulators like "Wings of Prey" or "Ace Combat" with this. Cockpit view, looking around. So much goodness is to be done.

I cancelled my pledge btw since they stated to wait for consumer product. I will buy it day one though!

Dgott

Banned
I can't wait to play fighter simulators like "Wings of Prey" or "Ace Combat" with this. Cockpit view, looking around. So much goodness is to be done.

I cancelled my pledge btw since they stated to wait for consumer product. I will buy it day one though!

I can't wait to play a racing game in cockpit view, being able to look all around the cockpit, and be able to drift properly by looking out the side window.

Haint

Engadget did.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/oculus-rift-hands-on/

This resolution was picked to ensure that the Oculus Rift danced at a frame rate up to 60Hz and was HDMI-friendly. If they had plumped for 1080p on those screens (which is possible, for a price) then the frame-rate would arrive at around 24Hz if using the existing HDMI standard.

Lest anyone get the idea that the forthcoming 1.4b or 1.5 HDMI spec is going to open up the flood gates for potential displays, I'm pretty sure that little snippet is inaccurate. Rift uses the side by side format which is NOT limited to 24Hz in 1080p like Frame Packed/Sequential.

Durante

Yeah, what is going to open the floodgates for new, higher-res displays are new, higher-res displays.

Y5U0U.jpg
Seems like we may just need a single cable. I love the cardboard box.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, what is going to open the floodgates for new, higher-res displays are new, higher-res displays.

Yeah. HDMI limitations played zero role in that choice. I don't know why that guy kept harping on it, because it made him seem like he was just clueless.

I agree the sooner the better on consumer models, whichever company gets a comparable headset out on the market first is going to be the winner of the next gen display war. Because let's be honest if you're talking about displays for videogaming this is the most godly thing ever imagined.

Jarmel

Banned

They have to develop a consumer model(as it seems there needs to be a bunch of changes to the consumer version), respond to the developer feedback that they're surely going to get at the end of this year, work out kinks, distribution on a semi-large scale, and marketing. This isn't exactly a large already established company having a go at VR.

Mindlog

Clearly this product will focus on games. It's the easiest product to support because it can be tailored to the optics.

However, I wonder how difficult it would be to port some OmniMAX/IMAX Dome media. I would happily pay the premium. Watching documentaries in this format at home would be spectacular.

PewPewK

Western guys are making this, and will be on PC. So microsoft supporting it is almost a given.

Well I wouldn't guarantee that, but who knows, it is possible.

If Microsoft got behind the product and had Rift support built into most of their next-gen titles, it could be HUGE for the VR industry.

Valygar

Amazing stuff. They say they don't really win much money from the dev kits, so if you want to support them I would get a T-Shirt or poster.

They have a lot of influential developers praising the device, plus it seems easy to implement into games.

Will buy it first day, if it is not incredible expensive.

Durante

They have to develop a consumer model(as it seems there needs to be a bunch of changes to the consumer version), respond to the developer feedback that they're surely going to get at the end of this year, work out kinks, distribution on a semi-large scale, and marketing. This isn't exactly a large already established company having a go at VR.
Sure, but they have over a year for all of that. The basic design including the optics is more or less fixed, they just need to source better screens. And they already started working on the consumer model. I really think it's not too ambitious a target.

scitek

I would think this could potentially be a very lucrative market to get into. The devices themselves can't cost that much to make when mass produced, and the idea of virtual reality is one that I think could appeal to a ton of people if properly marketed.

1-D_FTW

Sure, but they have over a year for all of that. The basic design including the optics is more or less fixed, they just need to source better screens. And they already started working on the consumer model. I really think it's not too ambitious a target.

It seems reduced latency for tracking is just as important as sourcing better screens. But they seem equally optimistic on both fronts. So assuming there's no massive derailment along the way, fall of next year does seem entirely reasonable.

PewPewK

Right, it's not just the screens though, but as 1-D_FTW mentioned, they're also trying to get the 40-50ms latency for the headtracking down to 20ms (the point at which the mind can't even perceive it being different from real-life [according to Carmack at least]).

Also it's not that there aren't already better screens out there, it's that they don't have a chipset that can really support those screens and what they want to do and/or the screens aren't consumerized yet.

Really, at this point I think they're just playing a waiting game for some companies to build the tech that they need so that they can start buying it up for the consumer version. In the meantime, they're running this Kickstarter to get prototypes into the hands of developers so that, when the components they're waiting for are finally available, they can jump right onto the consumer version and already have a lineup of software support. Brilliant idea if you ask me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I tried the Oculus Rift myself at Gamescom. What an awesome piece of kit. And it's just a prototype!

My "eyes-on" vid:

brainpann

I tried the Oculus Rift myself at Gamescom. What an awesome piece of kit. And it's just a prototype!

My "eyes-on" vid:

Nice.

You mention the tracking is good which is a relief after hearing Carmack say that it still needs a lot of work.

Two quick questions. Did you find it more comfortable to play sitting down or standing up? Did you experience any motion sickness while playing?

Atomski

Get MS and Sony on the phone and get support from their next consoles.

Pffttt this thing will be amazing on PC. I can't wait till people are modding support for it into older games and such. :)

Honestly hope it stays PC exclusive for a while. Could really push consumer and developer interest.

Plus I will be honest I am sure MS/Sony will find some way to dumb it down by making it a cheap piece of junk.

brainpann

Get MS and Sony on the phone and get support from their next consoles.

Does it need their support? What I mean is, since it receives video through HDMI anyway, wouldnt it just be up to the developer to add support? There could be an option in the video settings or something.

Atomski

Does it need their support? What I mean is, since it receives video through HDMI anyway, wouldnt it just be up to the developer to add support? There could be an option in the video settings or something.

No you would need a way to control the game using it. They have a little box set up for controls and hdmi that connects to the PC and has one wire going to the headset.

On console you would only be able to use it as a display and not be able to control .. making it not so much VR.

brainpann

No you would need a way to control the game using it. They have a little box set up for controls and hdmi that connects to the PC and has one wire going to the headset.

On console you would only be able to use it as a display and not be able to control .. making it not so much VR.

Doh! Forgot about that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Nice.

You mention the tracking is good which is a relief after hearing Carmack say that it still needs a lot of work.

Two quick questions. Did you find it more comfortable to play sitting down or standing up? Did you experience any motion sickness while playing?

Sitting/standing didn't make much difference, but that's mostly because I was using the right stick to spin around. In theory, you are supposed to spin around by actually turning with your whole body, but I was too accustomed to use the stick so I was using my head for just looking around.

Perhaps I should clarify how the controls worked:

- Left stick controls movement along Z and X (back and forth, left and right strafing)

- Right stick controls camera rotation much like it does in any shooter. But this is true only with regards to turns (yaw). When tilting the stick up/down (pitch) the camera doesn't move but the gun tilts in the opposite direction (Y inverted). To be honest I'm not completely sure this is how it works because I used the head to look up and down rather than the stick, but that's what I gathered from asking around in the MTBS forum.

- Headtracking controls camera view 1:1, ie You look 90° to the right. Game view rotates 90° to the right. Camera roll is go as well. It's worth noting that the direction you look at is the direction you'll walk towards. Basically headtracking controls the whole in-game character orientation.

- Weapon is attached to the camera view. Wherever you look, that's where you are aiming at as well.

As for motion sickness, lack of position tracking did result in more or less severe motion sickness. The strongest puke-inducing moment occurred right at the beginning of my test, when I purposely started to swing left and right. The brain didn't really like that sort of conflict between vision (the scene stayed still) and vestibular system inputs. Interestingly enough, tho, the opposite action (that is, strafing left and right with the stick while keeping the head still) didn't cause any motion sickness.

Over the course of the demo, I felt some slight discomfort from time to time, but (as I mention in one of the captions in the video) that's probably the result of the lack of position tracking. The thing is that even if you try to keep you head as still as possible, it does still move a little bit, and since those movements go unregistered, the visual-vestibular conflict, while minimal, eventually induces a feeling of discomfort. When I seated I felt better because it was easier to stay still.

Stewox

Banned

They firstly said as early as late 2012, but also expressively said that the consumer version will NOT be compromised in any way.

Acheron

Banned
This plus a bundled (and thus worth developing for) Kinect 2 would be potentially quite compelling.

pmj

My "eyes-on" vid:
If I may ask, how strong are your glasses?

As long as your glasses strength isn't too strong, yes.
Is there official word on how strong is too strong, or have there been tests made by people normally wearing glasses that went into detail about dioptres on their glasses and how blurry the game appeared without them?

Top Bottom