• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

TheExodu5

Banned
When Kickstarters say "please include x amount of $ for international shipping", does it mean you need to add that much to your Kickstart amount manually?

I'm guessing Canada is considered as being International? =\ Hopefully I don't get charged duties on this thing on top of that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
When Kickstarters say "please include x amount of $ for international shipping", does it mean you need to add that much to your Kickstart amount manually?

I'm guessing Canada is considered as being International? =\

If it's a $300 reward, do $315. And not sure if Canada would count or not, not sure how the shipping rates between the US and Canada work.

mclem

you'll be waiting about a year for the consumer version. If you're into tech and salivating at the idea of VR, and aren't too scared by the beta nature of the hardware or the risk of not having too many games support it, then why not jump in?

you'll more than likely get your few hundred dollars worth out of it during that 12 months, and if the consumer version looks fantastic, get that too.

Actually, one of my main thoughts is to have a usable home 3D display without upgrading my television, and I'm not sure how effective it is in that respect. It's the resolution which worries me, too, since it looks like the consumer one would use better panels.

Other than that, though, there's the fact that I'm in no particular hurry. If I was I'd be getting it like a shot, but as it is I'm busy weighing up the downsides of waiting.

(Oh, and on top of all that, I'd be looking at international shipping too. That's not cheap... and it's the sort of thing that I would not be surprised if Customs were to take issue with it. It cost me a *hell* of a lot to import Guitar Hero - at a time when an EU release didn't look all that likely - and I'm nervous about that sort of thing again)

Zaptruder

Banned
Another game gets Rift support

Miner Wars 2081 [VIDEO]

http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=2656

MinerWars0187_zoom.jpg

Nice. Seems like we're going to get a fair amount of content over the course of the year even before the consumer version launches.

I'm definetly psyched about Hawken, but I'll give this one a shot too.

Mostly, I just want modders to get that Skyrim support up and running ASAP.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This Kickstarter specifically says to add $30 for International shipping. Rather steep, unfortunately.

Oops, all the ones I've paid attention to said $15. But yeah, you just go over the reward tier by however much.

But I'm passing for the consumer version most likely, they even kind of suggest doing that in the FAQ at the bottom if you're on the fence unless you just really like being an early adopter or want to develop for it.

The consumer version probably won't cost significantly more, and should be quite a bit better from the description. Just a matter of waiting, and of course support should improve by then as well.

Zaptruder

Banned
Actually, one of my main thoughts is to have a usable home 3D display without upgrading my television, and I'm not sure how effective it is in that respect. It's the resolution which worries me, too, since it looks like the consumer one would use better panels.

Other than that, though, there's the fact that I'm in no particular hurry. If I was I'd be getting it like a shot, but as it is I'm busy weighing up the downsides of waiting.

(Oh, and on top of all that, I'd be looking at international shipping too. That's not cheap... and it's the sort of thing that I would not be surprised if Customs were to take issue with it. It cost me a *hell* of a lot to import Guitar Hero - at a time when an EU release didn't look all that likely - and I'm nervous about that sort of thing again)

The funny thing is they've actually gone on the record to discourage normal people from buying into the developer's version. They know a lot of enthusiastic gamers will do it anyway, and they can't stop them - but they'd rather not.

Which is fair enough when you understand the intention of the kickstarter - to get this stuff in the hands of developers and modders around the world, so that there can be significant community reports and feedback on the product, so that there can be significant improvements on comfort, form factor, usability and content before launch. And when you realize that they're selling them at break even prices - it just makes that much more sense.

mclem

The funny thing is they've actually gone on the record to discourage normal people from buying into the developer's version. They know a lot of enthusiastic gamers will do it anyway, and they can't stop them - but they'd rather not.

Which is fair enough when you understand the intention of the kickstarter - to get this stuff in the hands of developers and modders around the world, so that there can be significant community reports and feedback on the product, so that there can be significant improvements on comfort, form factor, usability and content before launch. And when you realize that they're selling them at break even prices - it just makes that much more sense.

Yeah, that's a fair point. The only thing is that I *could* be a dev. I've done it professionally, it'd be nice to start up on a more amateur basis again, and maybe this tech could spark me off... but on the other hand, it could just be an expensive boondoggle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

The units they were demoing recently didn't look too bad - very basic and not tweakable if you have bad eyesight etc.

So realistically they don't want to provide tons of support to normal people that just want to play games, and also they hope to make a decent profit margin on the consumer version.

Zaptruder

Banned
mcclem said:
Yeah, that's a fair point. The only thing is that I *could* be a dev. I've done it professionally, it'd be nice to start up on a more amateur basis again, and maybe this tech could spark me off... but on the other hand, it could just be an expensive boondoggle.
If you have an interesting idea, go for it. I'm not exactly a developer type. Not even a modder - but I do have a great deal of interest in VR, and will want to experiment with this in conjunction with kinect and other motion controllers (with the aid of various open source drivers already available for them) to figure out a way of doing immersive full body motion VR within the specific confines of readily and cheaply available consumer products.

The units they were demoing recently didn't look too bad - very basic and not tweakable if you have bad eyesight etc.

So realistically they don't want to provide tons of support to normal people that just want to play games, and also they hope to make a decent profit margin on the consumer version.

Yeah, they're definetly usable. But they're pretty explicitly stating that these are 'beta test' products at best. I mean obviously technology gets better all the time - but the difference between developer and consumer sounds like night and day from the way they talk about it.

brainpann

so just the dev version is available?

should people who aren't interested in developing just wait for the consumer version to begin preorders?

Probably but I'm not a developer and I backed it. If you want one and don't mind the downsides that co e with a dev unit, why not?

HoosTrax

should people who aren't interested in developing just wait for the consumer version to begin preorders?
I feel that way. At least, I've learned not to be an early adopter when hardware is concerned. At least with software, it can always be patched.

.GqueB.

Banned
Hawken in Virtual Reality:

Everyone with a Rift will be able to pilot their Hawken mech in completely immersive, stereo 3D virtual reality.

An entirely new way to play Hawken which includes updates to gameplay, input, the cockpit, and the heads-up-display.

Hawken will feature an exclusive Oculus VR cockpit that let’s the player look around inside the mech, independant of the mech’s direction, in full stereoscopic 3D.

Hawken is free-to-play, which means that anyone with a Rift can try Hawken in virtual reality on 12.12.12.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts
http://vimeo.com/48289061

That game looks a lot less exciting than I remember. Did they change something? I only saw the first gameplay trailer.

Zaptruder

Banned

Basically, if you've always been interested in VR, and know that this is an unsupported product that will be made obsolescent in a 1 year or so, and you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket, it's totally worth it.

If that doesn't describe you... waiting is the best bet.

I don't know if these will be available after kickstarter, but I suspect they will be.

1-D_FTW

I have a hard time believing that in 6 months time, you won't be able to sell these at a profit on ebay. This is just the type of product that does real well there. So I don't think there's a whole lot of risk.

Personally, I didn't think the HMZ-T1 looked that great with the pixel grid blown up in your face. And that thing was a lot higher (2 720P screens). That's the only thing holding me back. I just can't envision any way I could prefer everyday gaming (assuming the mod support was there) at that resolution. Those pixels are going to be huge if the HMZ is any indication.*

*Varies with eyesight. The worse your vision, the better off you are in this circumstance.

TheExodu5

Banned

I think they're just trying to get people's expectations in check. From the Kickstarter page, it's clear they're using early tech adopters to help give the project some traction.

I fully realize that I'm basically throwing $330 away for an early tech demo...and I'm fine with that. I'd like to provide criticisms to developers while I'm at it. They do need non-developers to test out developer software as well, so your purchase isn't going to waste in that regard. If only developers were purchasing this thing, then there wouldn't be enough feedback on beta software, IMO.

I have a hard time believing that in 6 months time, you won't be able to sell these at a profit on ebay. This is just the type of product that does real well there. So I don't think there's a whole lot of risk.

Personally, I didn't think the HMZ-T1 looked that great with the pixel grid blown up in your face. And that thing was a lot higher (2 720P screens). That's the only thing holding me back. I just can't envision any way I could prefer everyday gaming (assuming the mod support was there) at that resolution. Those pixels are going to be huge if the HMZ is any indication.*

*Varies with eyesight. The worse your vision, the better off you are in this circumstance.

I have 20/10 vision...we'll see how that goes.

Haint

Basically, if you've always been interested in VR, and know that this is an unsupported product that will be made obsolescent in a 1 year or so, and you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket, it's totally worth it.

If that doesn't describe you... waiting is the best bet.

I don't know if these will be available after kickstarter, but I suspect they will be.

I think Palmer said in the QA they plan on selling through their website post-KS, but he doesn't know how many and specified they would be part of a second batch.

I'm wondering if the type of optics they're using don't introduce blurring (think Panasonic's Smooth Screen FPJ tech). If a lot of people point out the pixel structure at 720p/45°, it does seem like 640x800/90° would have everyone commenting on nothing but the resolution and declaring it worthless. Can anyone do the math on how much larger the pixels would appear Vs. the T1? Just the resolution difference is going to make them ~2x larger (for simplicity's sake, technically it's ~1.8x), but I have no idea how to calculate the difference due to the FOV's.

1-D_FTW

I'm wondering if the type of optics they're using don't introduce blurring (think Panasonic's Smooth Screen FPJ tech). If a lot of people point out the pixel structure at 720p/45°, it does seem like 640x800/90° would have everyone commenting on nothing but the resolution and declaring it worthless. Can anyone do the math on how much larger the pixels would appear Vs. the T1? Just the resolution difference is going to make them ~2x larger (for simplicity's sake, technically it's ~1.8x), but I have no idea how to calculate the difference due to the FOV's.

To be fair, a lot of people really couldn't see it on the HMZ. But if you have eagle eye vision, it really was obvious. I even saw some reviews call it gamey looking. Which is a good description IMO. I could always see the grid structure and it never left the back of my mind.

Zaptruder

Banned

From the various reports - yes, those pixels are huge; big enough you can see its pixel structure.

Probably pixels that are about the quarter the size of your pinky nail at arms length.

But apprently, despite that, it doesn't seem to matter (so much) - because the experience is so astounding that it overrides those concerns!

I'll take off my glasses and see how that goes. If it doesn't work so well, I'll tape some prescription lenses from my spare frames onto it and see those pixels I suppose!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Or the more you are able to look past the low resolution and enjoy the game. If you can enjoy 3DSXL games or Wii games on a big HDTV you can probably manage with this.

also, from the kickstarter page

So if you're not a developer or hardcore enthusiast, sit tight for now. We promise the consumer Rift will be worth the wait!

So why not jump in?

So its confirmed this is coming out in December with Hawken support at launch? With 9 days to spare before the end of the world. My dear lord this is gonna be amazing.

I think they're just trying to get people's expectations in check. From the Kickstarter page, it's clear they're using early tech adopters to help give the project some traction.

I fully realize that I'm basically throwing $330 away for an early tech demo...and I'm fine with that. I'd like to provide criticisms to developers while I'm at it. They do need non-developers to test out developer software as well, so your purchase isn't going to waste in that regard. If only developers were purchasing this thing, then there wouldn't be enough feedback on beta software, IMO.

right, and i think they recognise that most of us grabbing the dev version now are going to be first in line to get the improved consumer version when that launches too. they just want to make sure people know that this ISN'T a consumer device. that it isn't the end product. it's a proof of concept.

Tain

I was kind of surprised and disappointed to hear that Doom 3's head tracking was tied to the player's aim, but the way Hawken is doing it sounds awesome.

and yeah, decisions decisions

Man

11 hours to make a decision.

Panic.

HDMI or DVI (you will probably need an HDMI to DVI converter if you only have DVI).

I say do it! I bought into 3D early on before many others and even though I don't use it anymore it was so worth the money with the wow effect and exploration of the first few weeks. Oculus Rift is way, way more barrier breaking. It's like being a gun lover and getting the chance to buy a Plasma rifle today that's a mess of wires and tape and that you have to recharge every five minutes but OMG!

Regarding HDMI: does it transfer both video and position data through it?

LordCanti

11 hours to make a decision.

Panic.

HDMI or DVI (you will probably need an HDMI to DVI converter if you only have DVI).

I already pledged, but I'm trying hard to not undo it. I'm really excited to play Hawken, but I fear that this is $300 for a peripheral I'll use a couple of times and then never again. I guess I can always sell it if that happens though.

I say do it! I bought into 3D early on before many others and even though I don't use it anymore it was so worth the money with the wow effect and exploration of the first few weeks. Oculus Rift is way, way more barrier breaking. It's like being a gun lover and getting the chance to buy a Plasma rifle today that's a mess of wires and tape and that you have to recharge every five minutes but OMG!

Regarding HDMI: does it transfer both video and position data through it?

HDMI is video, USB is power/position data.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I already pledged, but I'm trying hard to not undo it. I'm really excited to play Hawken, but I fear that this is $300 for a peripheral I'll use a couple of times and then never again. I guess I can always sell it if that happens though.

HDMI is video, USB is power/position data.

should be fairly easy for people to release patches for games to support this. even if just replacing mouselook with head movement.

6 hours to go, I need to go to bed. sorely tempted

edit: screw it, I'm in. I spent ages messing around with the HMZ-T1, this is a fraction of the price and really promising sounding. Plus amazon payments makes it way too easy to hand over your money

LordCanti

Only a few more hours left for anyone interested.

should be fairly easy for people to release patches for games to support this. even if just replacing mouselook with head movement.

6 hours to go, I need to go to bed. sorely tempted

edit: screw it, I'm in. I spent ages messing around with the HMZ-T1, this is a fraction of the price and really promising sounding. Plus amazon payments makes it way too easy to hand over your money

Yeah, screw it, I'm going to let my pledge stand.

It's too bad that they don't take Paypal. I'd have preferred to convert my Diablo 3 winnings into a Rift, rather than pay $300 out of pocket to my CC company for a product I won't get till December. Oh well.

LordCanti

They are VERY confident that all the backer units will go out in December. This pleases me.

images

I hope they get them all to people for Hawken's launch. I probably wouldn't have pledged if Doom 3 was going to be the only thing with proper head tracking during the first month or so. Actually being in a VR cockpit is pretty much the dream though.

They're making 7000+ units and selling them for cost. How many millions of dollars in private funding do we think they have at this point? Chinese factories don't just pump out thousands of kits for free.

megamerican

Well after waffling forever I finally took the plunge. I just don't think I could bear hearing all the awesome impressions while having no option to nab one.

LordCanti

Well after waffling forever I finally took the plunge. I just don't think I could bear hearing all the awesome impressions while having no option to nab one.

You've made the right a decision.

My only real fear is that the low resolution is going to be really noticable. Well, that, and the lack of any sort of warranty (if this breaks, or has stuck pixels or something, would they send a replacement?).

Only an hour and a half left to go.

Glassboy

I really think this could be big. Everyone's impressions have been extremely positive. I would pay a lot of money if they came out with a consumer version with 4k resolution. I wonder if they would have a couple different skus when they launch next year.

Haint

Is this 3D kinda like Nintendo 3DS, where things kinda pop-out?

This aims to mimic real life where the depths and size of objects mirror what you would see were you actually there. I think it's called ortho stereoscopy or something. The idea with VR is that the viewer doesn't realize he's looking at a screen, so there will be nothing for objects to pop out from. It's supposed to look natural and true to life.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just checked this out, looked totally vapor ware, then I saw Hawken and thought, "lol, vapor ware loves company."

Then that video... Abrash, Cliffy B., motherflippin' Carmack?!

I'll have to check this out when they launch it. Can't back it now tho, 300 is too rich. Glad to see they smashed their targets.

Top Bottom