• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Love the video, great job as always.

As for motion sickness, lack of position tracking did result in more or less severe motion sickness. The strongest puke-inducing moment occurred right at the beginning of my test, when I purposely started to swing left and right. The brain didn't really like that sort of conflict between vision (the scene stayed still) and vestibular system inputs. Interestingly enough, tho, the opposite action (that is, strafing left and right with the stick while keeping the head still) didn't cause any motion sickness.
That's not too surprising. Second situation you describe is as if you were sitting really close to a TV screen, moving around with a gamepad. That's not too bad of a feeling.

I have to admit I got worried about two things: You getting motion sick so quickly (I know you don't get that easily) and screens looking too blurry without glasses. What lens correction do you wear? A guy from the office who's following Rift development very closely was telling me that the consumer version will have swappable or adjustable diopter lenses, so that's great news.

Love the video, great job as always.

That's not too surprising. Second situation you describe is as if you were sitting really close to a TV screen, moving around with a gamepad. That's not too bad of a feeling.

I have to admit I got worried about two things: You getting motion sick so quickly (I know you don't get that easily) and screens looking too blurry without glasses. What lens correction do you wear? A guy from the office who's following Rift development very closely was telling me that the consumer version will have swappable or adjustable diopter lenses, so that's great news.

in Carmack's keynote he called out swaying as the thing that made him motion sick and warned anyone who wanted to try it to wait until the end of their demo time! i guess TTP didn't hear that advice :)

generally though you figure out what makes you feel weird and just stop doing it. at some point they'll get full head position tracking going along with rotational tracking into this and motion sickness will be a thing of the past, but for now, just don't sway, or play sitting down if even standing bothers you.

it was really cool watching TTP explain what he was seeing and gesturing to things in the virtual world, like pretending to cradle the gun and so on.

great video TTP. i've seen a bunch of videos of people trying out the unit and this one offered something different.

PewPewK

Man I'm really quite hyped for this. Can't wait to see the improvements the consumer version eventually hosts and the software support we get out of the developer version.

DieH@rd

Banned
I tried the Oculus Rift myself at Gamescom. What an awesome piece of kit. And it's just a prototype!

My "eyes-on" vid:

I liked how you talked with the AI briefly when you waited for the chair. :D You turned to him and said "Wait a second."

If that is not "deeply fundamentally cool", nothing is. :D

1-D_FTW

Echoing what people have said about the video. It's very cool the way you filmed it. The uniqueness and enthusiasm you had for the device really came across this way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Echoing what people have said about the video. It's very cool the way you filmed it. The uniqueness and enthusiasm you had for the device really came across this way.

and the way he's pointing into space but in his mind he's pointing in the real world. Very cool.

Aiming with your head doesn't sound ideal though - can't you also use a mouse or right stick to control the gun and have your head disconnected? Most of the time you'd probably track the two together but not always.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Somehow I forgot to check this thread, so sorry for the late replies!

If I may ask, how strong are your glasses?

I'm have about -2 per eye, plus some astigmatism.

What lens correction do you wear? A guy from the office who's following Rift development very closely was telling me that the consumer version will have swappable or adjustable diopter lenses, so that's great news.

Yes, the consumer version will address that. How, it's not decided.

Aiming with your head doesn't sound ideal though - can't you also use a mouse or right stick to control the gun and have your head disconnected? Most of the time you'd probably track the two together but not always.

Head movement basically "overlaps" right stick tilting as far as controls go. You can't "detach" the view from the gun. Not in the version of Doom III that I tried at least.

I liked how you talked with the AI briefly when you waited for the chair. :D You turned to him and said "Wait a second."

If that is not "deeply fundamentally cool", nothing is. :D

LOL yeah. It felt so natural to turn the head and "talk" to the bot. Come to think of it, voice recognition/commands would fit the VR experience quite well. It's so believable you kinda expect to be heard.

Been looking forward to this video. Thanks!

Love you.

BTW, Hawken news is awesome. If this spreads among PC people as quickly as I expect, consoles will become almost irrelevant to me (if they don't adapt quickly).

I wouldn't touch Hawken if it wasn't free to play and supporting the rift. As it is, I WILL touch Hawken and I will touch it as inappropriately as it wants to be touched.

Haint

Does it need their support? What I mean is, since it receives video through HDMI anyway, wouldnt it just be up to the developer to add support? There could be an option in the video settings or something.

Even beyond the head tracking, I don't think Sony or MS would ever certify a game with a SBS distort-o-vision toggle sitting in the options menu. They will have to either make Oculus an official partner or rip off the idea and create their own Xbox or Playstation branded HMD.

Most of you have probably seen tomorrow (8/28) at 10am PST Palmer's doing an Ask Anything on Reddit. I wish we could get him to make a ballpark guesstimate on which half of 2013 it's looking like they may be able to release the consumer version.

1-D_FTW

Honestly, I would assume second half. I get the impression the screen they've targeted is that Toshiba (mentioned it previously in this thread). That thing is still a prototype. I doubt they'd give up on that unless Toshiba flat out canceled it. They seemed really excited about how perfect it would be.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Hawken in Virtual Reality:

Everyone with a Rift will be able to pilot their Hawken mech in completely immersive, stereo 3D virtual reality.

An entirely new way to play Hawken which includes updates to gameplay, input, the cockpit, and the heads-up-display.

Hawken will feature an exclusive Oculus VR cockpit that let’s the player look around inside the mech, independant of the mech’s direction, in full stereoscopic 3D.

Hawken is free-to-play, which means that anyone with a Rift can try Hawken in virtual reality on 12.12.12.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts
http://vimeo.com/48289061

Alchemy

Everyone with a Rift will be able to pilot their Hawken mech in completely immersive, stereo 3D virtual reality.

An entirely new way to play Hawken which includes updates to gameplay, input, the cockpit, and the heads-up-display.

Hawken will feature an exclusive Oculus VR cockpit that let’s the player look around inside the mech, independant of the mech’s direction, in full stereoscopic 3D.

Hawken is free-to-play, which means that anyone with a Rift can try Hawken in virtual reality on 12.12.12.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts

ALL OVER MY FACE.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
VR Hawken sounds utterly fucking amazing, I was seriously tempting myself to back the project for an early prototype, even though I can't really afford it...

Zaptruder

Banned

YES! OH YES!

Ok Mechwarrior, you're out as my go to mech game, unless I see some VR support from you too.

Haint

So Palmer mentioned in the Reddit QA that the consumer version is "a ways away, not sure exactly how long, but 1+ year is not out of the question", later adding "done when it's done". No doubt everything is still way up in the air, but it sounds like a pretty solid bet that if you want to experience this any time soon, you probably want to get in on the Kickstarter (which ends in 3 days). It sounds like the primary hold up is going to be waiting for significantly improved displays--he mentioned at least double the Dev kit (so 2560x1600) and possibly quadruple (probably referring to 4k e.g. 3840x2160--not literally 4x1280x800)

So Palmer mentioned in the Reddit QA that the consumer version is "a ways away, not sure exactly how long, but 1+ year is not out of the question". No doubt everything is still way up in the air, but it sounds like a pretty solid bet that if you want to experience this any time soon, you probably want to get in on the Kickstarter (which ends in 3 days).

You are not helping with the temptation....

Good thing my credit card got stolen on Saturday and now I dont have a Visa for 10 days.

TheExodu5

Banned
So Palmer mentioned in the Reddit QA that the consumer version is "a ways away, not sure exactly how long, but 1+ year is not out of the question", later adding "done when it's done". No doubt everything is still way up in the air, but it sounds like a pretty solid bet that if you want to experience this any time soon, you probably want to get in on the Kickstarter (which ends in 3 days). It sounds like the primary hold up is going to be waiting for significantly improved displays--he mentioned at least double the Dev kit (so 2560x1600) and possibly quadruple (probably referring to 4k e.g. 3840x2160--not literally 4x1280x800)

When he says double/quadrupe, I would definitely assume he's talking total pixel count, not double in both width and height. 4K resolution in such a small display isn't terribly reasonable for the near future.

Double = 2x1280x800 ~ 1920*1080 or 1920*1200
Quadruple = 4x1280x800 ~ 2560*1440 or 2560*1600

LordCanti

Just read about the Hawken support. Hnnnngggg....

What are the chances of actually getting a rift in December if I pledge now? I realize I'd be behind thousands of other funders.

brainpann

What are the chances of actually getting a rift in December if I pledge now? I realize I'd be behind thousands of other funders.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone gets a Rift in December.

Don't get me wrong, I am hoping that it will be on time.

Izayoi

Banned
Do we have any ETA on the consumer version?

I still want to get one of these, but money is kind of tight right now and if the consumer version isn't too delayed I'd rather get that instead.

But... Hawken. :(

pakkit

Banned
Saying that FOV outweighs resolution for an immersive experience is a little silly, IMO. For virtual reality, both are integral.

Haint

When he says double/quadrupe, I would definitely assume he's talking total pixel count, not double in both width and height. 4K resolution in such a small display isn't terribly reasonable for the near future.

Yea you're probably right, a ~6" 4k screen is probably much further out than a year or two. Being Toshiba showed off that 6" 2560x1600 display a year ago and hasn't said or done anything else since (at least AFAIK), it'd probably be a long while before a 4k screen could realistically materialize. I don't think a prototype unveil is too far out of the question, though I don't know what the practical application would be to create such a thing (aside from the Rift). That kind of resolution seems largely unnecessary for a phone or tablet. I guess I could see them pushing it to maintain parity with 4K TV's, should they ever become a thing.

1-D_FTW

Toshiba (in partnership with Sharp) has been demoing a 6.1 inch 2560*1600 panel. It sounds like this is their dream scenario (6.1 even allows the horizontal and vertical FOV's to be identical).

Unfortunately, until Toshiba has a practical reason to bring it into production, it'll probably remain a pipe dream. This is why I said earlier I can't see it being 1st half of 2013. If there's any chance this thing is coming to market, I think they'll wait it out. And they'll only settle for something less when it's clear they have to move on.

LordCanti

Do we have any ETA on the consumer version?

I still want to get one of these, but money is kind of tight right now and if the consumer version isn't too delayed I'd rather get that instead.

But... Hawken. :(

Until the higher res cellphone/tablet (I guess 6" is somewhere in between) screens come out, I doubt we'll see the consumer version. I'd say Christmas next year is probably the earliest timeframe. That's assuming that the vendor is going to want to sell Oculus these bleeding edge panels for a price that makes an HMD worthwhile. Otherwise, I guess there are probably 1080p panels out there that he could use in a shorter time frame.

I'm with you though...I'm super hyped for Hawken, and I may pick up the dev model based on that. I kind of fear that the retail model is going to be like... $500+, and that I won't want to spend the money at the time.

1-D_FTW

Until the higher res cellphone/tablet (I guess 6" is somewhere in between) screens come out, I doubt we'll see the consumer version. I'd say Christmas next year is probably the earliest timeframe. That's assuming that the vendor is going to want to sell Oculus these bleeding edge panels for a price that makes an HMD worthwhile. Otherwise, I guess there are probably 1080p panels out there that he could use in a shorter time frame.

I'm with you though...I'm super hyped for Hawken, and I may pick up the dev model based on that. I kind of fear that the retail model is going to be like... $500+, and that I won't want to spend the money at the time.

He has said he doesn't want to do a bunch of models. So they wanna make it right from the get-go. He's also mentioned he wants it to be under 1000 dollars. So you can pretty much count on it being 500+. I don't think he's looking to have insane margins, but if the tech is available at an even reasonable prices, he wants to load up as much as he can.

Durante

Palmer has repeatedly stated that they have everything in place to make thousands of Rifts if required.

LordCanti

He has said he doesn't want to do a bunch of models. So they wanna make it right from the get-go. He's also mentioned he wants it to be under 1000 dollars. So you can pretty much count on it being 500+. I don't think he's looking to have insane margins, but if the tech is available at an even reasonable prices, he wants to load up as much as he can.

Once it's the commercial product, I think standard margins are probably going to be in play. That's the point where making money is something that pretty much has to happen.

That's why the developer model seems like a good deal; Who sells you VR kit (or pretty much any piece of electronics) near cost these days?

Palmer has repeatedly stated that they have everything in place to make thousands of Rifts if required.

My body is ready.

1-D_FTW

Once it's the commercial product, I think standard margins are probably going to be in play. That's the point where making money is something that pretty much has to happen.

That's why the developer model seems like a good deal; Who sells you VR kit (or pretty much any piece of electronics) near cost these days?

My body is ready.

I'm just saying I doubt he's pulling a Nintendo here. It may go as high as 1000, but if it does, it's because they've crammed in some cutting edge tech.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Another game gets Rift support

Miner Wars 2081 [VIDEO]

http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=2656

MinerWars0187_zoom.jpg

We are proud to be supporting the Oculus Rift Project! Our in-house VRAGE Engine which powers Miner Wars: 2081 is already scheduled to implement TrackIR headtracking to better allow players to be immersed in the game. We're taking it a step further this time and are scheduling some modifications to our engine that will not only support the Oculus Rift but perhaps future VR equipment as well. The Oculus Rift looks perfect for our type of gameplay, and we feel Miner Wars: 2081 is the perfect 6DoF game to test it on. Sure other engines allow the 6DoF (especially the ID engine that is heavily endorsing the Oculus Rift Project) but there are no other games that actually allow the 6DoF movement nativaly, giving us something special to work on!

With Head-Tracking and the addition of Stereo Displays compatibilty we expect players to be able to experience a richer Miner Wars 2081 immersion. We'll be polishing the cockpits in places we thought people would never look, and you may start using the side windows tactically in ways that we never initially intended! We feel this project is perfect for our type of game, and it will bring the six degrees of freedom feel that virtual reality units are traditionally attracted to! So we're stocking up on our whips, forcing our 3D artists to model things behind and under the 'viewport'.

Keeping those in mind who may not be able to get such special equipment for leasure, but may have a web-cam; we're also consdiering adding FreeTracking to our engine. FreeTracking will allow for many of those who want the immersive qualitys of headtracking or VR but aren't yet able to spend quite the money on the equipment. This may also allow ways for those who want to play with large stereo displays (like in movies) without having to require head-gear for the player. We want to open up new play possibilities for all our players, and allow for them to upgrade on their own schedule.

We're very excited about this project, and can't wait to recieve our Dev Kit. This might be a whole new step in gaming, and we are interested in seeing how this will change the arsenal of the common player. Will this push the release of the game back? We've decided that it would be best to add support for these immersive technolgies after the release of the game. We'll implement this technolgy as a free update to the game before we start working on other DLC as we fully complete our features. As a consequence however you might lucid dream it's already in the game...

mclem

Umming and ahhing over whether to go for this. On the one hand, it sounds very impressive indeed, and seems to be a nice setup for the home. On the other, though, it also sounds like the consumer version will be significantly superior, although it's not clear how the consumer version would be *priced*.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Umming and ahhing over whether to go for this. On the one hand, it sounds very impressive indeed, and seems to be a nice setup for the home. On the other, though, it also sounds like the consumer version will be significantly superior, although it's not clear how the consumer version would be *priced*.

you'll be waiting about a year for the consumer version. If you're into tech and salivating at the idea of VR, and aren't too scared by the beta nature of the hardware or the risk of not having too many games support it, then why not jump in?

you'll more than likely get your few hundred dollars worth out of it during that 12 months, and if the consumer version looks fantastic, get that too.

My only worry is the resolution of the display. We've had limited impressions from the press about this, and unfortunately no good way to represent it on a video.

edit: damn, its about £200 including international shipping. Don't have a great PC to drive it though but so so tempting. I bought a bloody HMZ-T1 and sat around like an idiot with cycle helmets on my head trying to make it comfortable, this should be no problem :)

Top Bottom