• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

megamerican

Awesome. I think this might be the first Kickstarter I go in on. The Giantbomb stuff had already made my hyped on this for $500, now that it's $300, sold.

Atomski

Been waiting for this. I am not going to buy one just yet but will sure back it. Really want to see these take off :).

I can just imagine playing minecraft and skyrim with these O.O

Your right, there's countless kickstarters but there's undoubtedly something special about this...I mean, fuck, if Gabe likes it, I like it.

Dude... When you have a man like John Carmack on board as one of your technical engineers and software developers, then it does become something pretty special.

Though Gabe's endorsement certainly helps things too... This is actually the second KS project Gabe has officially endorsed BTW. The first one was "Clang".

Also, Notch showing is support is pretty great too.

I'm in for the dev kit for now. It's one of those things where I'd like to have the fucker in front of me to make the decision, but with all the support it's getting I suppose that'll have to be a substitute of some kind.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Still baffled that anyone anywhere in any situation outside of insane/greedy business people wants 3d in any shape/manner/form.

Vesper73

One more what if:

Dark Souls VR... nnnnnDude!

Anyway, guess I should start watching the Sword Art Online anime. :) We're almost there!

Have you tried the rift? It's not 3D it's VR.

It's also 3D.

50e663d8dcfb9ad5d2bb2577b973cfb3_large.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
Will there be some solution for watching movies with this HMD? Some video plugin that will transform both 2D and 3D videos into correct format?

Vesper73

I think the RIFT is more suited for FPS games, I'm not sure it would work well in Dark Souls. It wouldn't feel as immersive at best.

I was just trying to imagine looking up at that castle from below. What a moment!

The game would have to be patched for a first person view though.

Atomski

Im sure it would work fine for third person games. The your head display would just control the camera around your character.

Though first person will be much more appealing.

Durante

Still baffled that anyone anywhere in any situation outside of insane/greedy business people wants 3d in any shape/manner/form.
See, I'm baffled how any gamer could not want VR.

Will there be some solution for watching movies with this HMD? Some video plugin that will transform both 2D and 3D videos into correct format?
Not really feasible. The FoV is far too large for traditional content, so you'd need to watch the movie on a "virtual" screen, which would further reduce the usable resolution. This kind of software solution will be viable (and rather easily implemented) for future high-FoV HMDs with higher resolution though.

Im sure it would work fine for third person games. The your head display would just control the camera around your character.
Yeah, if no one tackles it before me, I'll try to make it work with Dark Souls.

Alchemy

Are people made of money? How do people have so much to throw away on all these countless kickstarters that seem to rake in so much? I thought the American economy sucked.

Edit: oh, you get a hardware product for $300. A little different. Overall point still kinda stands.

I like Kickstarters, but I only drop money when I can get a product out of it. I see it as a useful tool for preordering something that wouldn't necessarily exist if I didn't preorder it. I don't see how anyone could reasonably donate money without receiving anything in return, it isn't like Kickstarter projects offer profit sharing or IP ownership for investing.

Plus it is going to be awesome to have a box with this thing show up in December after I've forgotten I spent money on it.

Alchemy

Not really feasible. The FoV is far too large for traditional content, so you'd need to watch the movie on a "virtual" screen, which would further reduce the usable resolution. This kind of software solution will be viable (and rather easily implemented) for future high-FoV HMDs with higher resolution though.

Virtual reality movie theater!

HoosTrax

See, I'm baffled how any gamer could not want VR.
I was traumatized by my VirtualBoy experience.

I am curious about how the perception of depth and 3D works with a non-3D VR headset. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding this technology. The two individual screens are what produces the 3D effect? And the wraparound, fisheye effect is more for correct FOV?

Anyways, I think at some point, the supply of screens and parts is going to become a legitimate concern. I assume the first backers are going to get priority though.

I'm surprised so many people who aren't developers are backing. I know you'll get to play around with it earlier but the video mentions it's all to get ready for the consumer version. You can probably get a better product if you wait.

Looks amazing.

Though I do fear for the long term effects for this. Staring into an LCD screen at 2 inches away isn't exactly good for your eyes.

Not to mention that a lot of people might get motion sickness from this. 3D in theatres makes some people uneasy; this might be different since there isn't a "screen window" of 3D because it takes up your entire FOV instead, so hopefully I won't vomit all over my keyboard when I eventually try this thing out. LOL.

Durante

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding this technology. The two individual screens are what produces the 3D effect? And the wraparound, fisheye effect is more for correct FOV?
It's one screen split in two. Each half of the screen is fed with a pre-warped image, which is then viewed through the optics, filling most of the field of view of each individual eye. It provides immersive 3D by combining stereoscopy, a wide FoV and very fast camera response to your head movements.

Anyways, I think at some point, the supply of screens and parts is going to become a legitimate concern. I assume the first backers are going to get priority though.
Palmer posted about this before the kickstarter began, he said that they're ready to produce anything from 100 to tens of thousands of units.

Looks amazing.

Though I do fear for the long term effects for this. Staring into an LCD screen at 2 inches away isn't exactly good for your eyes.

Not to mention that a lot of people might get motion sickness from this. 3D in theatres makes some people uneasy; this might be different since there isn't a "screen window" of 3D because it takes up your entire FOV instead, so hopefully I won't vomit all over my keyboard when I eventually try this thing out. LOL.

The focus is at infinity.

HoosTrax

It's one screen split in two. Each half of the screen is fed with a pre-warped image, which is then viewed through the optics, filling most of the field of view of each individual eye. It provides immersive 3D by combining stereoscopy, a wide FoV and very fast camera response to your head movements.
Thanks for the explanation. If I'm reading that right, this would effectively supplant a 3D monitor + glasses + TrackIR combo. I like the potential of this, can't wait for the consumer version.

This should be much less demanding on the video card, correct? Lower resolution than the commonly used 1080p, and no requirement to output twice the framerates. Wonder how Nvidia feels about this development.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I see this becoming something bigger than OUYA.. Or at least I hope so.
Ouya is essentially worthless to someone who already has a PC. Which is pretty much everyone.

This on the other hand is going to be something truly novel, and exciting to use.

This should be much less demanding on the video card, correct? Lower resolution than the commonly used 1080p, and no requirement to output twice the framerates. Wonder how Nvidia feels about this development.
I really hope they'd build build this pre-warping into their drivers. It would not be impossible, and it could even be done without much IQ loss if the pre-warping is done in resolution higher than 720p, then downscaled to 720p.

Razek

Banned
That video is certainly enthusiastic. Let's hope this gets some attention from developers, the development kits iron out all the issues, and the consumer version becomes a must have in the next step of video game immersion.

I've always wanted to play games like skyrim/oblivion with a full view VR setup including 1-1 head tracking.

scitek

I like the idea of these HMDs because I don't care to go out and buy a 3D TV, and it's compact, so you can use it in any size room and get the full effect. I'm excited for where this will lead down the road.

aasoncott

You can't use this if you are blind on one side, right?

FML

I don't see what that would be a problem. Essentially it's the same thing as your normal vision. Each of your eyes get a different stream. If you can see enough to navigate real life, you should be able to see enough to navigate VR. You'd have the awesome FOV, you wouldn't so much have depth perception.

I don't see what that would be a problem. Essentially it's the same thing as your normal vision. Each of your eyes get a different stream. If you can see enough to navigate real life, you should be able to see enough to navigate VR. You'd have the awesome FOV, you wouldn't so much have depth perception.

AFAIK, it's a single screen split onto two displays... If he really is actually blind in one eye, then he might have issues. If he has some vision in that eye, then I'd just assume that it would look the same as his normal vision.

aasoncott

AFAIK, it's a single screen split onto two displays... If he really is actually blind in one eye, then he might have issues. If he has some vision in that eye, then I'd just assume that it would look the same as his normal vision.

Even though it's outputting from a single screen, it's still sending different images to each of your eye. I know, semantics.

DieH@rd

Banned

yeah, single screen that is reproducing splitscreen image.
CGpk5l.jpg

jett

D-Member
Man this seems to be way too low resolution.

edit: and according to Carmack the prototype doesn't work with prescription glasses, no mention of the devkit.

Okay yeah, based on that image, being blind in 1 eye is going to give you 0 depth perception (not like you get that anyways.... heh), but you'd still get the FOV benefits. So yes, he can use it!

wrowa

Man this seems to be way too low resolution.

The resolutions seems to be a serious bottleneck. Isn't a high resolution/ppi of particular importance when the screen is very close to your eyes? I'd expect that a low-res screen strains the eyes even more than necessary.

Whoah. CliffyB is here.
Nice.
Where is my new UT? :(

Besides that, I really would love to try it out, especially with "Games" like Dear Esther. When I finished it 4 days ago, I really thought it would be perfect with VR-googles and seems finally we are at the starting-point.
I just hope developers will integrate it into their future projects. Amnesia, the other Project from the Dear Esther developers and some Games like that would really be great with it.

But also. I would like to know if it really "feels" like you are in the world.

Corto

Valve is also researching on this kind of tech aren't they? Wearable computers/devices, augmented reality and whatnot. Strange to watch them back a competitor effort if so. Maybe they're set to buy them afterwards when the tech proves successful.

jett

D-Member
The resolutions seems to be a serious bottleneck. Isn't a high resolution/ppi of particular importance when the screen is very close to your eyes? I'd expect that a low-res screen strains the eyes even more than necessary.

According to Carmack the effect of the low resolution is such that you don't just notice individual pixels, you actually notice individual RGB stripes, lulz.

CliffyB

Playah
Version I played with had a decent res, but I was informed it'll be higher in the final. Given lots of feedback on this, finally, sweet VR for everyone! The feeling you get flying over an edge and looking down is amazing.

Also I want a first person "I am Mandingo" game where you play as him.

1-D_FTW

All Bethesda First Person based games. Oh man. When I buy the consumer version I'm going to play ever single First Person based RPG ever.

Edit: Holy Shit at Notch throwing in 10K and talking about support for it. Feels like we're really on the cusp of VR becoming huge. Glorious day, yo.

It's not just first person RPGs, it's third person. Seriously, once you start playing RPGs on a quality 3D display, it's jaw dropping. Next-gen type shock. Back when next-gen would actually make your jaw drop.

And that's with current 3D tech and low FOVs. I can only imagine how good it's going to be with that FOV.

Version I played with had a decent res, but I was informed it'll be higher in the final. Given lots of feedback on this, finally, sweet VR for everyone! The feeling you get flying over an edge and looking down is amazing.

I can only assume Fortnite will support this. Cause I'm not going to lie, when I first saw those screenshots, I pictured how good it'd look in 3D.

So. If you look into the distance with the VR-googles, it really feels like you look into the distance or more like "oh, there is a skybox?"
Thats some things I am wondering about.

How is the immersion? If I would look down at a character in a first-person Game, I would wanna see the "body". If I look into the distance, it should really feel like a distance, not see some skybox-texture.

Maybe need to try it out. Thats my only concern right now. Besides that, I am hyped and cant wait for the consumer-version to come out.

(And my sweet, sweet UT. Dont let it die!!! :()

aasoncott

Dammit, Cliffy. You're making this an extremely temping buy, even if there's a problem with glasses.

Top Bottom