• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

I have never used one of these things before and I have a question.

When you move your head and the camera moves on the game world, does the crossair also move? I mean normally your weapon is tied to your camera in most games, but that would really suck when using one of these things, and it would kinda defeat the porpuse of a wide field of view.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I have never used one of these things before and I have a question.

When you move your head and the camera moves on the game world, does the crossair also move? I mean normally your weapon is tied to your camera in most games, but that would really suck when using one of these things, and it would kinda defeat the porpuse of a wide field of view.

It really depends on the implementation. There is no default way of doing this. As far as I understand tho, Doom III BFG only lets you fine tune aim with head movements, not look around freely and independently from gun orientation. I think that's limited to up/down head movement.

Arma2 with TrackIR5, on the other end, works exactly as you'd expect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

fauxtrot

Banned
ACK! I was totally spacing about the head-tracking part. That would be a lot more work to configure for each game, and who knows if it might actually feel better to have the reticle detached from your POV so that it's not solely controlled w/ your head movements.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It really depends on the implementation. There is no default way of doing this. As far as I understand tho, Doom III BFG only lets you fine tune aim with head movements, not look around freely and independently from gun orientation. I think that's limited to up/down head movement.

Arma2 with TrackIR5, on the other end, works exactly as you'd expect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

Keeping your eye on a fixed point but tracking head movement feels pretty awkward. It has to feel real nice to use a VR unit that re-combines these two things when shifting viewpoints. Another point of immersion.

Playing racing sims with these combined with a high quality steering wheel should feel really immersive. Suddenly you're there in LeMans racing a Ferrari and looking through your side window to your opponent. :)

golem

They should give a coupon for the consumer version to those pledging the lower tiers who dont want the dev version

Keeping your eye on a fixed point but tracking head movement feels pretty awkward. It has to feel real nice to use a VR unit that re-combines these two things when shifting viewpoints. Another point of immersion.

Bwahahaha, I can just imagine watching someone trying to fine tune their aim. Awkward head movements up down diagonally, possibly leaning over too for no good reason

ZoddGutts

Wouldn't this be a problem for people not using a controller but a keyboard. Only area I have a problem is past #5 in the keyboard so I have to check every once in awhile when playing MMO's or switching items/weapons. Guess I'll have to take off the Rift to check the keyboard and then put it back on. lol

If people would stop and think they would see how literally unpractical it is for games.

people are imagining .hack and having there minds go haywire

LeCapitan

Neo Member
My eyes are pretty bad, no focal adjustment seems like a deal breaker :\ Otherwise I am really excited for these guys fulfilling all of our childhood dreams.

Alchemy

If people would stop and think they would see how literally unpractical it is for games.

people are imagining .hack and having there minds go haywire

Head tracking is questionable for some games (and fucking awesome for FPS games), but a 3D high FOV headset is still pretty bad ass.

Vandiger

I've played many games on the Sony HMZ, no problems with motion sickness or having issues with control. Normally I play with a Logitech G13/PSMove Navigator + Razer Naga for most console-ported PC games, thats enough buttons to cover almost any game genre. Main issue might be eye strain, I did have to take breaks every hour or so while using the HMZ.

shaowebb

This looks extremely promising. Imagine survival horror games or open world games using this. Making this so affordable and dev friendly sounds like a dream. Here's hoping we see this thing explode like Guitar Hero as the next surprise peripheral based experience. I'm really curious about this as an animator and I'm thinking that for a cheap experiment it'd be nice to setup a small town and cast of characters with dialogue trees and do a visual novel using this sort of thing.

Color me excited. If I get the position I'm looking at in the next couple of months I'll be dumping some cash in on a devkit.

You don't get why people like being more immersed in their video games?

A bigger screen isnt immersion if the resolution is worse than you can get even on a 10 year old tv.

I mean sure its on your face, great, but if you have to look down, or do anything, I just dont get it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A bigger screen isnt immersed if the resolution is worse than you can get even on a 10 year old tv

Resolution isn't the end all be all here. I'd rather have the drop in resolution if it means the FoV engulfs my vision and ultimately immerses you in the game more than a 1080p 65" HDTV would.

This looks extremely promising. Imagine survival horror games or open world games using this. Making this so affordable and dev friendly sounds like a dream. Here's hoping we see this thing explode like Guitar Hero as the next surprise peripheral based experience. I'm really curious about this as an animator and I'm thinking that for a cheap experiment it'd be nice to setup a small town and cast of characters with dialogue trees and do a visual novel using this sort of thing.

Color me excited. If I get the position I'm looking at in the next couple of months I'll be dumping some cash in on a devkit.

Imagine Minecraft and Day-Z... !

A bigger screen isnt immersion if the resolution is worse than you can get even on a 10 year old tv.

I mean sure its on your face, great, but if you have to look down, or do anything, I just dont get it.

You can make that claim, but it puts you in opposition to everyone who has, you know, actually used the thing.

You can make that claim, but it puts you in opposition to everyone who has, you know, actually used the thing.

Ive learned long ago not to believe hype.

Resolution isn't the end all be all here. I'd rather have the drop in resolution if it means the FoV engulfs my vision and ultimately immerses you in the game more than a 1080p 65" HDTV would.

I have a big enough tv, where my vision is basically engulfed.............

It wouldnt add that much to me. I wouldnt buy an extra peripheral ( I hate peripherals if they are extra)

Anyway, thats what I am feeling.

Sorry if it conflicts with what your feeling

Shawsie64

Banned
Backed.

The resolution is low, sure, but thats not the point and its going to be insanely immersive.. Can't wait to mess around with one.

Vesper73

I must be the only one here with a projector and a 100 inch screen lol

My friend and I built a custom 16:9 framed screen, (150") for my basement. The screen literally takes up almost the entire wall on one end of the room. I have a beanbag that I use with a wireless controller and sit approximately 8 feet away from the screen! I am an immersion whore! Trust me, I get it. But not even that touches this FOV. This is a game changer. Mix that with stereoscopic rendering and headtracking, and you're done!

You'll get it when you try it. Remember I said that.

I really think that this is one of those things that you are going to really have to physically try before you'll understand.

Anyone going to QuakeCon?

My friend and I built a custom 16:9 framed screen, (150") for my basement. The screen literally takes up almost the entire wall on one end of the room. I am an immersion whore! Trust me, I get it. But not even that touches this FOV. This is a game changer. Mix that with stereoscopic rendering, and headtracking, and you're done!

You'll get it when you try it. Remember I said that.

Sorry when you say game changer, I want more than this which isnt really a game changer for me.

I dont play shooter so headtracking is useless..........

Sorry I will just stick with the standard controller and screen

Vesper73

Sorry when you say game changer, I want more than this which isnt really a game changer for me.

I dont play shooter so headtracking is useless..........

Sorry I will just stick with the standard controller and screen

Clearly this isn't for you.. Sorry to waste your time.

I must be the only one here with a projector and a 100 inch screen lol

Have you ever used the HMZ-T1? Any 3D head mounted display?

I'm guessing not, because you can't even start to compare a flat TV to these things. I played through parts of Half Life 2 with the HMZ (even though it destroyed my face in the process) - a game I've played through ten times before. It was like playing a completely different game because of the level of immersion it provided. I could stand three meters away from something and KNOW it was three meters away just by looking.

And the Rift blows the Sony effort right out of the water with 8+ times the field of view. Sign me the fuck up!

Count me in! Should be fun coding for this and seeing what others come up with. Just hope they can make enough of these seeing as how many backers they've had so far.

All your posts read more like "you people are all idiots and I'm smart" than a discussion.

Uh, I dont insult people like that, I never would

Clearly VR is the future! If not, I'll eat a broom....

What we should all be doing right now is, know that this is the future, how can we take advantage of this trend.

I dont believe so but your welcome to think so. Ive been through so many this is the future declarations I must live in a warped reality

@FoxHimself

Your face was destroyed? That doesnt sound great

HoosTrax

So let me get this right -- Notch donated $10,000, but he's not going to be able to meet the Oculus team since the $5,000 bonus is only open to US residents according to the description?

Or I assume they'd totally be ok with Notch showing up as long as he bought his own plane tickets?

I feel like I've been waiting my entire life for this...well, at least since I saw The Lawnmower Man. Is VR finally going to be a reality?

Have you ever used the HMZ-T1? Any 3D head mounted display?

I'm guessing not, because you can't even start to compare a flat TV to these things. I played through parts of Half Life 2 with the HMZ (even though it destroyed my face in the process) - a game I've played through ten times before. It was like playing a completely different game because of the level of immersion it provided. I could stand three meters away from something and KNOW it was three meters away just by looking.

And the Rift blows the Sony effort right out of the water with 8+ times the field of view. Sign me the fuck up!

So let me get this right -- Notch donated $10,000, but he's not going to be able to meet the Oculus team since the $5,000 bonus is only open to US residents according to the description?

Or I assume they'd totally be ok with Notch showing up as long as he bought his own plane tickets?

according to the rules

Top Bottom