• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

HoosTrax

I forget - can you see your feet in Skyrim? Seems like it would be even more disconcerting than usual if not.

Also, I think they're going to have to allow for changes to where on your screen your arm is being rendered, otherwise it'll feel like you're doing the Robot, where your entire upper body follows your head/eyes.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm really curious how much the units will change from dev version to consumer version

Really tempted to get it even though I'm not developing at the moment :>

Vol5

Version I played with had a decent res, but I was informed it'll be higher in the final. Given lots of feedback on this, finally, sweet VR for everyone! The feeling you get flying over an edge and looking down is amazing.

Also I want a first person "I am Mandingo" game where you play as him.

Final dev kits or final consumer kits?

Haint

Version I played with had a decent res, but I was informed it'll be higher in the final. Given lots of feedback on this, finally, sweet VR for everyone! The feeling you get flying over an edge and looking down is amazing.

Yea, Palmer suggested on MTBS he possibly has a higher resolution panel sourced (i.e. higher than 1280x800), but it probably wouldn't make it into the dev kit release (assuming the deal even goes through in the first place). My question is just how far out the consumer version is. I'd definitely wait 4-6 months for a better, higher res device, but wouldn't want to be stuck waiting for Q3/Q4 2013. I'd really like to find out what his ballpark time table is for a retail release and what specs he thinks are attainable right now.

CliffyB

Playah
Yea, Palmer suggested on MTBS he possibly has a higher resolution panel sourced (i.e. higher than 1280x800), but it probably wouldn't make it into the dev kit release. My question is just how far out the consumer version is. I'd definitely wait 4-6 months for a better, higher res device, but wouldn't want to be stuck waiting for Q3/Q4 2013. I'd really like to find out what his time table is for a retail release and what specs he thinks are attainable right now.

The thing is, even if it ships with the res I saw it's still very very nice.

And it can only get better with retina displays always getting cheaper.

I want Slenderman on it! And a base jumping game. And racing! Wipeout in first person! Aaahhh

Always said the Next Big Thing is often that thing that quietly got better over the years that you forgot about.

Kauwn

Neo Member
I like the idea, I'm just not sure whether my eyes will appreciate staring at a screen so close to them for anything over about 15 minutes. That tolerance can only shorten if it's 3D too.

Seems like something worth trying though, why not eh.

Detox

All those particle effects in UE4 were worth it.

Mirror´s Edge with this thing would be insane, jumping from one building to another and looking down equals to me shiting my pants

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are the specs as good (and as compatible) as Sony's HMZ-T1?

The problem with the rift is that is uses cheap screens, literal screens that are taken out from the mobile phones. And, to deliver image to both eyes, they use cheap optics that transfers FISH EYE view to the user. To play the game on Oculus Rift, developers or modders need to render the game with that FISH EYE effect in mind, so when we look trough the eyepieces we will see normal image.

In a year or two, i think that many many games will support this kind of rendering out from the box.

[Sony HMZ-T1 uses two extremly small OLED screens that cost an arm and a leg [<2" screens with 720p pixel density].

This isn't a problem, it's a benefit. Reversing the fisheye is relatively straightforward to add to a game, and it means you can use much cheaper and lighter optics.

Digital camera makers do similar things these days, correcting for lens distortion in-camera via software.

Amagon

I would love to see a take of this game on the Rift.

hj8k3.jpg

Jumping Flash!

Anybody who has played this game knows what I'm talking about.

:)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The thing is, even if it ships with the res I saw it's still very very nice.

And it can only get better with retina displays always getting cheaper.

I want Slenderman on it! And a base jumping game. And racing! Wipeout in first person! Aaahhh

Always said the Next Big Thing is often that thing that quietly got better over the years that you forgot about.

I haven't tried one in person but i can't wait to see where this goes. Carmack's interviews nailed what needs to be nailed for this tech. Super low latency from the sensors and display, smart post-processing to correct for distortion, and not forgetting yaw sensors - although I think this latter one isn't in this version, carmack has it clearly in his sights to add in

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I was able to check out John Carmack's "version" of this at E3.

Its super rad and I highly recommend everyone get one. As CliffyB said, the res isn't that big of a deal - after 30s you don't even notice. It was also very intuitive to use, I was killing Imps with ease after a minute or so.

This isn't a problem, it's a benefit. Reversing the fisheye is relatively straightforward to add to a game, and it means you can use much cheaper and lighter optics.

Digital camera makers do similar things these days, correcting for lens distortion in-camera via software.

The fisheye also make better use of the limited pixel budget by using more of those pixels for the center of the frame, where the eye can discern far more detail.

My hope is that if the final consumer model has significantly better components (screen, motion sensor, optics) that Oculus will sell an upgrade kit so that the devkit version can be upgraded to the final specs.

Dgott

Banned
What's the comfort factor on this? Is it neck snappingly heavy? Is it more comfortable than the Sony setup? If its good, my body is ready...

Going to start doing neck exercises now just in case.

Brofield

Over 200% now backed.

I don't care what kind of deal would be reached, but to see this compatible with all sorts of first party/console exclusive games would be phenomenal.

Halo, Zelda, God Of War...

I mean...good lord. And even if not, the likes of Monster Hunter, or Assassin's Creed, or Silent Hill...

So help me one or more Gods, or fewer, with one of my next paycheques, I'll support this.

Alexlf

What's the comfort factor on this? Is it neck snappingly heavy? Is it more comfortable than the Sony setup? If its good, my body is ready...

Going to start doing neck exercises now just in case.

It's 0.22 kg, which is about 0.5 pounds if you're in the US.

jack.

Banned
Backed. I hope they can actually get this out to backers by the end of the year. I'm pretty stoked to get my hands on it.

Haint

My hope is that if the final consumer model has significantly better components (screen, motion sensor, optics) that Oculus will sell an upgrade kit so that the devkit version can be upgraded to the final specs.

This was also brought up on MTBS. He mentioned an upgrade should be possible, but suggested the cost might be prohibitive and the modding requirements fairly significant. The display is by far the most costly component. His response was it might make more sense to just buy a whole new device outright.

orioto

Good Art™
It's nice it's funded, but i wouldn't use it..
640x800 must look terribly blurry with that FOV i guess...

What i like about it, compared to HMZ, is that even for movie, i'm certain the ideal would be to have a big FOV and an actual virtual screen (the image wouldn't be 1;1 obviously) that would have a physical place, and would not be glued to your eyes. It would feel like a theater screen. But it would need a good enough resolution.

This was also brought up on MTBS. He mentioned an upgrade should be possible, but suggested the cost might be prohibitive and the modding requirements fairly significant. The display is by far the most costly component. His response was it might make more sense to just buy a whole new device outright.

I would certainly expect it to be the most expensive component, but that doesn't tell you whether that one component is (for example) 33% of the cost or 95%. Anyway, as long as they're thinking about it, that's fine.

Kauwn

Neo Member
My dream is that Microsoft somehow supports this with kinect and a new age of hilarious TV smashing goodness is born.

MrKayle

do want (clarify: have wanted for a long ass time. i even considered hacking up a psone LCD monitor to make my own one of these types of devices)

1-D_FTW

Yea, Palmer suggested on MTBS he possibly has a higher resolution panel sourced (i.e. higher than 1280x800), but it probably wouldn't make it into the dev kit release (assuming the deal even goes through in the first place). My question is just how far out the consumer version is. I'd definitely wait 4-6 months for a better, higher res device, but wouldn't want to be stuck waiting for Q3/Q4 2013. I'd really like to find out what his ballpark time table is for a retail release and what specs he thinks are attainable right now.

The thing is, the time probably wouldn't be too wasted either. Because be then, the mod community would really have things humming on the support side. So if it was 4 months and a higher resolution, I'd definitely wait it out. Hopefully we'll find out before it closes.

But Cliffy B's making it real hard.

And I hope they don't delay the "regular" units too far after the "protypes". Because those first 100 units are going to be fetching a small fortune on ebay if this demand is any indication. And it seems wrong people should profit so much when it's against the spirit of what they're for.

Haint

I would certainly expect it to be the most expensive component, but that doesn't tell you whether that one component is (for example) 33% of the cost or 95%. Anyway, as long as they're thinking about it, that's fine.

I'd say you'd likely be talking about ~70%+, but that's pure conjecture based on where it'd make sense to either upgrade components or buy a new unit.

Derrick01

Banned
Watched the video on the kickstarter page and I'm impressed with all of the people they have on board with this. I'm mildly interested in seeing where this goes.

That being said this is something I have 0 interest in ever using in the future. Like with motion and all this other stuff I just want to sit down and play a game and not move around or have something on my head. I'm very traditional in that sense. Meanwhile through all of this outside "innovation", actual games are getting dumber and dumber as time goes on. It's almost a "why bother" with all of this other stuff to me.

I want one.

And it's crazy it has already doubled its funding goal, I can't wait to try it and to play other games (when someone eventually makes everything work perfectly, we all know it will happen with several games).

Give me Mirror's Edge.

1-D_FTW

Watched the video on the kickstarter page and I'm impressed with all of the people they have on board with this. I'm mildly interested in seeing where this goes.

That being said this is something I have 0 interest in ever using in the future. Like with motion and all this other stuff I just want to sit down and play a game and not move around or have something on my head. I'm very traditional in that sense. Meanwhile through all of this outside "innovation", actual games are getting dumber and dumber as time goes on. It's almost a "why bother" with all of this other stuff to me.

You don't actually have to move around. The thing about something with that large an FOV, if it didn't have head tracking, most people would get sick. Even with the HMZ and only a 45 FOV, many people reported getting sick when they moved their head. It confused their brain. Brain knows it's moving, yet the picture is remaining static. It's problematic. Personally, I didn't really have this issue, but I also wasn't intentionally torture testing my brain to see how far it would go before it rebelled. But at that FOV, I'm not sure anyone could escape the phenomenon.

Derrick01

Banned
You don't actually have to move around. The thing about something with that large an FOV, if it didn't have head tracking, most people would get sick. Even with the HMZ and only a 45 FOV, many people reported getting sick when they moved their head. It confused their brain. Brain knows it's moving, yet the picture is remaining static. It's problematic. Personally, I didn't really have this issue, but I also wasn't intentionally torture testing my brain to see how far it would go before it rebelled. But at that FOV, I'm not sure anyone could escape the phenomenon.

The moving around part was for the motion control.

fauxtrot

Banned
I didn't see this talked about in the pages I read, but if it's been stated, sorry for overlooking it:

With a lot of games being able to be "forced" into displaying in 3D with the right graphics card & TV, is there any chance of something like this happening with these types of headsets? It'd be awesome if it could play almost any game you threw at it out of the box or with small community developed mods...

Top Bottom