• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddrical

$590AUD including shipping. Holy fuck this is so tempting considering I nearly pulled the trigger on a launch Vive that was like... $1300 or some shit. Are Oculus pulling shady crap? I haven't really been following VR much in the last 6 months or so. Shit. $590 is a lot of money but damn.

Li Kao

Kind of a niche question but as I regularly play with other people in the room, is there a way for them to have what I see displayed traditionally on the monitor and not the 'doubled picture' you often see when they show VR ?
Is it possible ? Taxing for the PC ?

Kind of a niche question but as I regularly play with other people in the room, is there a way for them to have what I see displayed traditionally on the monitor and not the 'doubled picture' you often see when they show VR ?
Is it possible ? Taxing for the PC ?

This is the default behavior on the Rift. Spectators will see a modified version of what you're seeing, and they won't get a double picture. I believe you can even have sound play that way, though it's not a good idea.

It has no discernible impact on performance.

Thank you for help!

All headphones I have used before literally give me pain in my ears after half an hour of using, that's why I hate them.

But I heard that stereo headphones are the best solution for VR positional sound and consider buying quality Sennheiser headphones with deep ear cups. Hope it will be comfortable for my ears.

I'm a big fan of the Rift headphones tbh. They have very minimal pressure and sound great.

If you get headphones, three pieces of advice.

First, because they aren't going to be integrated on the headset, just make sure they hold on your head well. Don't want them falling off in the middle of a game!

Second, don't forget to factor in the added weight of the headphones on top of the HMD. This is where the Rift headphones have a big advantage because it's minimal. Too heavy and it's probably going to not be comfortable, and also break immersion feeling them on your head.

Finally, make sure the cable is long enough (or get an extension cable). While the Rift lets you remove their headphones, it doesn't have a headphone jack on the HMD itself. You need to run that cable yourself. Probably would be best to get cable ties of some sort as well so you can just wrap the audio cable around the HMD cable so it's not messy.

Have fun! It's awesome. :)

Li Kao

This is the default behavior on the Rift. Spectators will see a modified version of what you're seeing, and they won't get a double picture. I believe you can even have sound play that way, though it's not a good idea.

It has no discernible impact on performance.

Thanks for this very positive bit of info, but what about the sound part ? Can you elaborate ?
You mean I must choose between the sound being aired traditionally or with headphones ? Can't we have both ?
Yeah, basically I'm ok with a more shut-in video game experience only if I can share it.

Wollan

So you think we'll ever get fog-proof lenses in the future? This has been been a huge issue for me.
Every headset should adopt the open headset design of the PSVR. That + comfort is its main hardware advantage over the competition. Vive and Rift's goggle design are both pressing and heating up your face which makes long sessions uncomfortable.

Similarly everyone should copy Rift's built-in headset. Very, very convenient.

Vive is reigning due to its superior room-scale tracking and one-bundle-with-everything only option. But its lagging behind the others in terms of comfort.

Wow Bomba

But afaik a new version will not arrive before 2019, so this is no clearance sell. Just to get rid of regular stock. Must've sold bad as rumored

399 including touch and a $100 gift card is a fucking steal, tho
Would get one, too

Thanks for this very positive bit of info, but what about the sound part ? Can you elaborate ?
You mean I must choose between the sound being aired traditionally or with headphones ? Can't we have both ?
Yeah, basically I'm ok with a more shut-in video game experience only if I can share it.

I think you have to choose. I tried looking for a different option right now, but couldn't find any. Regardless, having audio played both from the headphones and regular speakers would be very disorienting for the person in VR, which is why it's not a good idea. Sound isn't really that necessary to spectators anyway as long as they have video.

x3sphere

Ya, I ordered earlier today, contacted Amazon and they won't honor the gift card. But they said I could just order it again then return the other one. So I'm going to do that.

No idea how that helps them out, considering it'll cost them even more in shipping, but ok.

Chumley

Banned
I don't really have any big Amazon purchases coming up, any easy way to flip the gift card into PayPal money or is the B/S/T thread my best bet?

Nah, you can have them go through both at the same time. It does depend on your sound card though, and may have latency though.

Steps in this videos description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb_VU8LfQZA&feature=youtu.be

I'd assume the best way to set this up is to have the Rift Headphones be Default, and the Stereo Mix output to the TV speakers or whatever.

One reason it's bad is that if you're in MP games, people will loathe hearing a constant echo from the TV. Most games simply use voice/sound activation for VOIP and not push to talk or anything like that. As long as you keep the TV at a fairly quiet level it should be okay though.

Zen Aku

Heck I'd sell my Vive to buy this. But I dont want to risk not being able to play Fallout 4 VR because I got the Rift.

Nah call them. I'm on the phone right now and I think I'm just really sensitive right now considering how late it is. You might get a better experience than I am currently having.

Ya, I ordered earlier today, contacted Amazon and they won't honor the gift card. But they said I could just order it again then return the other one. So I'm going to do that.

No idea how that helps them out, considering it'll cost them even more in shipping, but ok.

I did what I could but they just didn't add the gift card :(

robotrock

Banned

Same here I did what I could but they just didn't add the gift card :(

I got a $50 gift card from them. I don't think the people on the phone liked me for it either.

So you think we'll ever get fog-proof lenses in the future? This has been been a huge issue for me.

A more open design helps but is prone to let light bleed into the inside of the HMD. I've read plenty of PSVR users having fogging on the lenses. It's a condensation issue, if the temperature of the lenses is too low (lenses get heated from one side more than the other) and the percentage of moisture in the surrounding air is too high then it will always fog up until the temperatures have balanced out. I only know about gold dusted glass that is supposed to not fog up under any circumstances but I don't think I have ever heard anything about that in regards to VR.

There are anti fog coating sprays but I have no idea if they are usuable with VR lenses or could even decrease the quality or damage the lenses.
http://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/solving-the-problem-of-fogged-eyewear-in-hot-weather/ I'm kind tempted to give it a try....

SpacLock

Holy shit at that Amazon deal! And I just bought one around 7pm at Best Buy today too. Damn this impulse purchase curse.

And for what it's worth, it looked like I was the first one to get one there today because the shelf was still packed with them... which would be about 5 left.

This has to be an old stock clearance. I would imagine these things are everywhere and they need to get rid of them. At least that's what I'm hoping...

Testing mine out tomorrow. Hopefully this RX 480 doesn't melt.

I got a $50 gift card from them. I don't think the people on the phone liked me for it either.

Wow, that's great. When I first reached to the support I did not have Prime. After the first one I started a Prime membership and talked with another person however it didn't make a difference. 2nd person told me to contact with the carrier and try to cancel it from there

Maddrical

Tried to buy the Amazon deal but when I go to checkout it stays at $499.00 USD, is this deal only for US customers or something? Then to convert it to AUD it goes to $682, plus $95 shipping, for a total of $777. I signed up for a trial Prime account.

EDIT: If I select pickup it removes the $95 shipping fee but still $499.00 USD -> $682 AUD.

SO yea....Been on the fence this whole time....Was going to actually try to ride out the 6 weeks to see if VIVE price would drop...

But that Amazon deal....I mean...YOU JUST CANT BEAT THAT.

BOUGHT.

Chumley

Banned
I wonder if that deal might sell out quickly, I got weird arrival dates for mine. Rift shows up the 20th and touch the 24th.

Another new oculus purchased here.

Sad I had to buy it in amazon.de and it costs 16€ to send to spain, so at the end it's 470€ aprox., a good deal anyway I think.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I added it to my Amazon cart, and then I corrected another item I had that I didn't want and boom, gave me a big F-U and dumped it out of my cart. Sad!

I added it to my Amazon cart, and then I corrected another item I had that I didn't want and boom, gave me a big F-U and dumped it out of my cart. Sad!

I'm going to wait on the Oculus. I'm sure something at some retailer will pop up eventually. Even if it's $25 or $50, it'll only be a $25ish difference accounting for sales tax.

Chumley

Banned
The resellers going for those gift cards is going to be a huge problem. I figured they'd go quick as fuck. Makes me feel really bad for the people who legitimately wanted one.

Yeah, they're going to scalp the rift for $400+ once the 6 week deal ends probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom