• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazillion

Does anybody know of a free VR app with artificial (analog) locomotion? I want to see how susceptible I am to motion-sickness and maybe train myself to get used to it before I go buying a game with it.

Kind of feels like Oculus should have had another sale to go alongside the sale. If I decide to keep the Rift I'm probably going to get all my games on Steam, but an Oculus sale may have deterred me from doing that.

chinoXL

Kind of feels like Oculus should have had another sale to go alongside the sale. If I decide to keep the Rift I'm probably going to get all my games on Steam, but an Oculus sale may have deterred me from doing that.

how come?? the games are pretty cheap...think there's only 2-3 games that are $50 and up on the Oculus store

Effect

I picked mine up at my store earlier this week and they still emailed me the code for Eve.

Edit: I just went back and looked and they emailed it to me right after I ordered which was a full day before I picked it up.
Just checked and they already emailed to me. That was fast.

Zalusithix

I am not sure. I would love to play Subnautica too, but I have problems with motion Sickness even in some normal shooters. I am afraid that will be a problem.

Tough to say for sure before you actually try a game with it, but you'll certainly want to be careful when first using any form of (non teleport) artificial locomotion. If you start to feel any nausea, stop. Trying to power through will just make matters worse for the majority of people. Ginger candies supposedly help, but I can't speak from personal experience as I'm highly resistant to VR induced nausea.

Reminder for folks if you're looking for more free stuff, take a look on Steam for advertised Vive experiences. The NVidia little fairgrounds demo is fun and I just spent 30 minutes just messing around in Waltz of the Wizard. Since my 10 year old loved First Contact so much, that'll probably be the thing I show her tonight.

how come?? the games are pretty cheap...think there's only 2-3 games that are $50 and up on the Oculus store
Because they ended their summer sale to match the Steam sale a few days before announcing the temporary price cut. I just feel like they should have either announced the price cut during the sale they were running or run another one.

I'm just kind of salty that I could have grabbed a bunch of VR games on Oculus/Steam during the sale if I had known this cut was coming.

$400 was the sweet spot for me! I've had a DK2 since it came out, so I knew what to expect--sort of. The touch controllers make such a HUGE difference. I am loving the hell out of it.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Because they ended their summer sale to match the Steam sale a few days before announcing the temporary price cut. I just feel like they should have either announced the price cut during the sale they were running or run another one.

I'm just kind of salty that I could have grabbed a bunch of VR games on Oculus/Steam during the sale if I had known this cut was coming.

The next sale most likely will be in Nov so you can hold off on splurging until then.

Zalusithix

This was deliberate. They want to make money on the software since they sure as hell aren't on the hardware right now. The know most people aren't going to wait until the next major sale. Even if they did another game sale, that wouldn't change anything in regards to Steam. Valve could easily match it. If a dev agrees to have their game discounted on one platform, it's likely going to be discounted on the other as well.

Is there an official Oculus OT?

Just searched and can't find it :(

It looks like people everywhere (including me) was waiting for this price drop to dive in.

Zalusithix

Maybe it's time for a new general-use PC VR thread? PSVR users stick to their dedicated thread mostly.

I think we're going to need one sooner than later. With the Windows "Mixed Reality" headsets (fuck that name) coming and additional native SteamVR headsets like the LG unit on the horizon, it's going to be rather cumbersome and inefficient to spread PCVR game discussion among so many device specific threads. (VR game specific threads still die off and get ignored extremely qucikly, so they're not a great solution either.)

Even hardware specific threads I think will be better off being generalized by the underlying native API. Oculus would remain the same since they're the only one using that tech, but rather than a separate Vive and LG headset thread, having one dedicated "SteamVR Hardware OT" that encompasses all relevant products would be best. There's going to be lots of technical overlap between them since they're both based on the same tracking tech and use the same API. They'll even share accessories. Ditto to the MS based units.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Bestbuy Canada got a few more in stock this morning and I managed to snag one before they ran out! Should be getting mine in on Monday!

Does anybody know if you have to pay tax when you order from the Oculus Store in Canada? The order form only shows two "--" lines in the tax section making it very confusing. It also doesn't seem to indicate if you have to pay it upon delivery or through some other means.

EDIT: All it says in their terms of service is that, "Applicable taxes may be presented at checkout."

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Looks cool, can't go wrong with free. I'll try it when I get home from work.

i havent try the app myself so i dont know if this is what you guys are looking for though

Nevertheless this is free, so why not

MazeHaze

Banned
My girlfriend brought home one of these as a surprise for my birthday.

It is fucking SWEET.

I'd only tried PSVR before today, this is way better. Touch controllers are a game changer.

Played Super Hot VR only so far, and it's incredible. Even the touch tutorial was crazy.

Keep in mind if you have your pc hooked up to your tv via hdmi, youre gonna want to get a display port to hdmi adapter for the rift.

My girlfriend brought home one of these as a surprise for my birthday.

It is fucking SWEET.

I'd only tried PSVR before today, this is way better. Touch controllers are a game changer.

Played Super Hot VR only so far, and it's incredible. Even the touch tutorial was crazy.

Keep in mind if you have your pc hooked up to your tv via hdmi, youre gonna want to get a display port to hdmi adapter for the rift.
My graphics card has 2 hdmi ports. Do I still need an adapter?

MazeHaze

Banned
My graphics card has 2 hdmi ports. Do I still need an adapter?
Nope, I don't think so. If you only have 1 hdmi port though and no way to have a monitor hooked up while the occulus is plugged in, you cannot complete set-up. Had to run to the store and get an adapter mid setting the rift up.

Matthew23

I'm trying to figure out the ideal usb set up for my system. My MB's (P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3) usb 3.0 ports aren't compatible with Oculus so I'm going to use a 4 port pci-e controller. Would it be too much to have 2 sensors and the HMD on this one controller? Would it be better to have the HMD (and possible 3rd sensor in the future) on usb 2 instead?

VICI0US

Finally got support to give me a code for the touch games that didn't automatically redeem to my account for some reason. Played the intro to robo recall, it was pretty awesome.

Also tried some echo arena. I was awful at it but it was pretty darn fun to float/boost around in zero g.

VICI0US

I'm trying to figure out the ideal usb set up for my system. My MB's (P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3) usb 3.0 ports aren't compatible with Oculus so I'm going to use a 4 port pci-e controller. Would it be too much to have 2 sensors and the HMD on this one controller? Would it be better to have the HMD (and possible 3rd sensor in the future) on usb 2 instead?

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-balancing-bandwidth-on-usb/

they recommend putting two sensors on 3.0 and one on 2.0 if you do a 3 sensor setup.

setup tells you to have the HMD itself on a 3.0 port, but I've seen some people in threads on here say they have theirs on a 2.0 and it hasn't caused them any problems.

How do you know they aren't compatible?

Jzero

I guess I will have to do some experimenting.

*checks amazon tracking for 20th time today*
Yea I plugged in the HMD in a 2.0 port just for fucks and it was pretty much the same but I've heard the performance of 2.0 ports depend on the manufacturer.

Matthew23

How do you know they aren't compatible?

They failed the compatibility check with the tool on the Oculus site, drivers up to date. I did some digging through Reddit for those with the same controller and they recommended using a pci-e card. I won't know for sure until my OR shows up.

Yea I plugged in the HMD in a 2.0 port just for fucks and it was pretty much the same but I've heard the performance of 2.0 ports depend on the manufacturer.

Ah, that's good to hear.

I should be good with an i5-4460 3.2GHz and a GTX 970, right? The Oculus rift ready application told me I met all the requirements but I just want to be sure.

I know I got a great deal, but this Amazon wait is going to feel like forever. Part of me thinks I should have just gotten one from the local Best Buy.

jrcbandit

My 3rd sensor isn't coming until next Wednesday or Thursday. Should I hold off on most Touch games until then? I have all the free Oculus games of course (Robo Recall, Echo arena, etc), plus Superhot VR.

So far I've played Lucky's Tale and Chronos. Lucky's Tale is pretty impressive, none of the PSVR platform games come close. Chronos seems like a cool 3rd person RPG with fixed angles rooms like older RE/GoW. The VR aspect of it seems kind of underutilized but I do like the art/graphics.

Izuna

Banned
My 3rd sensor isn't coming until next Wednesday or Thursday. Should I hold off on most Touch games until then? I have all the free Oculus games of course (Robo Recall, Echo arena, etc), plus Superhot VR.

So far I've played Lucky's Tale and Chronos. Lucky's Tale is pretty impressive, none of the PSVR platform games come close. Chronos seems like a cool 3rd person RPG with fixed angles rooms like older RE/GoW. The VR aspect of it seems kind of underutilized but I do like the art/graphics.

2 is fine for room scale, at least to try it. Some 2 sensor setups are almost as good.

LAA

I just want to say...I'm an idiot!
Been struggling trying to get oculus to fit comfortably on my head or stay in a perfect position, so I watched a video...noticed the headset had a part I was missing on mine...
The part I thought was just to protect the lenses or whatever is actually part of the headset!

So yeah, havent beem wearing it properly for a few days Now, but it's now all good on that end. Only thing now is it can get hot wearing it ha ha.

Izuna

Banned
YuHtL9E.png

All coming tomorrow. This is a much better setup with my new room.

Izuna

Banned
I just want to say...I'm an idiot!
Been struggling trying to get oculus to fit comfortably on my head or stay in a perfect position, so I watched a video...noticed the headset had a part I was missing on mine...
The part I thought was just to protect the lenses or whatever is actually part of the headset!

So yeah, havent beem wearing it properly for a few days Now, but it's now all good on that end. Only thing now is it can get hot wearing it ha ha.

Seriously? Haha that's incredible

YuShtink

Can someone explain the difference between 2 and 3 sensors, and what are they used for?

They are used for spacial tracking of the headset, which allows you to lean, duck, jump, walk, run, or crawl around perfectly 1:1 in virtual space. Oculus sensors use infrared cameras with a cone of vision. 2 sensors is the standard packed in set-up, which can be both placed in front of you for 180-270 degree experiences (certain games are designed for this) or placed on opposite sides for full 360 spacial tracking allowing you to turn around and spin freely (as free as the cord allows you at least lol). But you can't get a very big space with really good tracking with 2 Oculus sensors, at least not on par with the Vive out of the box. 3rd and 4th sensors are allowed though if you want to have the full room scale experience akin to the Vive, but must be purchased seperately.

Coolade

Anyone have any recommendations for VR covers? (so you don't sweat on the foam while wearing it) or solutions they use to clean the detachable foam?

theRizzle

I just played Robo Recall for 2 hours with just two sensors and the only thing I would imagine a 3rd sensor improving would be that I ended up turned around quite a lot... like not facing the direction I was expecting to. I never had an issue with reaching behind my back to get a shotgun or anything. Get in there!!

I am glad Robo Recall wasn't the first thing I played. It's made everything else look silly so far. Hard to imagine anything else living up to grabbing a robot from behind, pulling his head off, tossing that head at another robot and drawing your gun with the same hand afterwards to mow down a bunch of bad guys while using the robot whose head you ripped off as a shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom