• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Hmm, it says Eve Valkyrie does support HOTAS, but still requires an XBox 360 controller plugged in. I'm running out of USB ports here...

I have keyboard, mouse, hotas, g29 wheel, wireless xbox controller dongle. I stuck all of them on a single powered USB2.0 hub and hooked that to a single port. None of these items require much bandwidth.

VICI0US

Hm, I completed all of the setup (remote, xbox controller, touch) and all it gave me was Lucky's Tale and the tutorials.

I had the same issue with my best buy purchase. I ended up having to open a ticket with oculus support, send them pictures of my touch controller/package serial numbers, and they sent me a code for my touch games.

Crash331

Wow, the god rays are off the charts with this dang thing. It's damn near unplayable. I just launched Elite Dangerous VR and at the hangar/menu every one of the lights has massive rays that go from screen edge to screen edge. They turn circles when I turn my head.

Izuna

Banned
Wow, the god rays are off the charts with this dang thing. It's damn near unplayable. I just launched Elite Dangerous VR and at the hangar/menu every one of the lights has massive rays that go from screen edge to screen edge. They turn circles when I turn my head.

Yeah, I didn't know until I stopped using my normal glasses with the anti-reflective lenses. You can get some for the Rift (coatings) but I don't know where to get any.

gdt

Any games that are more triple a experiences? Games that you control a actual moving character? Or something like RE 7 is? I'm loving the headset and the tech but starting to feel like a lot of these games are the samey.

I tried Ethan Carter before, with regular movement and I felt sick as fuck. Of course this was seated at the time, maybe regular movement is easier standing.

Haint

I tried Ethan Carter before, with regular movement and I felt sick as fuck. Of course this was seated at the time, maybe regular movement is easier standing.

It's the smooth camera turning that did it, not the sitting. If they would implement the now standard 45 degree stepped/snap camera, motion sickness would be negligible for a majority of users.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Anyone got an opinion on Unspoken?

It's really good although be prepared to get owned a lot at the start. It's very competitive and high ranked players demolish newbies. There is a single player campaign mode coming at some point and insomniac continually updates the game. They seem to add a new class every couple months and new features as well.

Yup. It's way worse with space games because of the contrast of lights on a black background. A game like Robo Recall and it's barely noticeable.

SpacLock

If you bought it from Best Buy, check your email if you ordered it online, or your receipt if you bought it in-store.

FYI: For those of you who purchased from Best Buy and chose for them to e-mail the receipt like I did... There may not be a code on your receipt.

I had to call the 800 number and have them give it to me over the phone because of it.

Crash331

I had the same issue with my best buy purchase. I ended up having to open a ticket with oculus support, send them pictures of my touch controller/package serial numbers, and they sent me a code for my touch games.

For those wondering, my games finally showed up. I didn't have to open a ticket, Just waited about 6 hours after initial activation.

ElyrionX

Do majority of the games involve you standing up and having to flail your arms around? Is feet movement necessary? Not sure if I have the space around my PC to do this.

CaLe

So does the Godrays make playing Elite impossible / very distracting ? It's the only game I planned on playing... that and Euro Truck Simulator 2

Crash331

So does the Godrays make playing Elite impossible / very distracting ? It's the only game I planned on playing... that and Euro Truck Simulator 2

It's pretty bad at the main menu in ED. I haven't got in to the cockpit yet because I am fighting the combination of SteamVR, Windows 10 and my fucking Saitek drivers. I suddenly remember why I have been a PS4 gamer for the last 4 years.

Edit: I can't take it. It's terrible. if you go in to the system map, the system's star absolutely blinds you because the color bleeds all over the screen. I don't know if I have a bad unit, or a weird face, but it is definitely a problem with either my particular hardware or the oculus design in general because the PSVR has no such issue.

The PSVR looks a little more lo-fi and is heavier on your head, but the god rays make anything with contrast unplayable on oculus.

Soi-Fong

Really only bad in menus. I've played Elite extensively in the Rift and they don't bother me otherwise.

CaLe

It's pretty bad at the main menu in ED. I haven't got in to the cockpit yet because I am fighting the combination of SteamVR, Windows 10 and my fucking Saitek drivers. I suddenly remember why I have been a PS4 gamer for the last 4 years.

Edit: I can't take it. It's terrible. if you go in to the system map, the system's star absolutely blinds you because the color bleeds all over the screen. I don't know if I have a bad unit, or a weird face, but it is definitely a problem with either my particular hardware or the oculus design in general because the PSVR has no such issue.

The PSVR looks a little more lo-fi and is heavier on your head, but the god rays make anything with contrast unplayable on oculus.

Geez... yeah that's a major turnoff... I'm not so sure about getting this now. Sad :(

Conezays

For those wanting something that's longer, Obduction seems like a decent purchase. I've only played 30 minutes so far but it's the sort of game that seems great for VR IMO. One of the few games I've had to play on much lower settings but it still looks nice regardless.

Mage's Tale also seems interesting so far; getting to throw a fireball alone is fairly entertaining, lol.

bbjvc

Ordered my on 13th, status still is 'Order' Money hasn't been charged yet, not sure how long it's going to take.. the wait's killing me :(

Crash331

I've never had a major issue dealing with the system map in Elite, even with the god rays.

To me, every light source or bright object looks like this, but instead of a star, it just looks like someone smeared vaseline on the lens and there are only 2 directions the light bleeds instead of 18.

From what I'm reading, it's from the fresnel lens. Maybe PC folks who are used to the oculus and vive think it's ok, but coming from PSVR where this is not a problem, it seems unacceptable to me.

moSOmIL.jpg

I order on Friday but still haven't been charged. Is this normal for the Oculus store? Usually when I purchase something online it charges you immediately.

Soi-Fong

I order on Friday but still haven't been charged. Is this normal for the Oculus store? Usually when I purchase something online it charges you immediately.

Seems like Oculus is behind on orders as from the look of things they've been overwhelmed by the amount of orders.

To me, every light source or bright object looks like this, but instead of a star, it just looks like someone smeared vaseline on the lens and there are only 2 directions the light bleeds instead of 18.

From what I'm reading, it's from the fresnel lens. Maybe PC folks who are used to the oculus and vive think it's ok, but coming from PSVR where this is not a problem, it seems unacceptable to me.

moSOmIL.jpg

If only Sony had allowed it to work on PC as well. I would have bought one, but the simple fact is, the PC is a much better platform for VR, motion controls and tracking are more important. But I agree, and I'm worried about this. I hear it's a little bit of a lottery, and how you adjust the lenses etc. People were saying that increasing the distance from your eyes to the screen in the headset helps a lot.

As to whether that means default adjustment options, or third party add-on I don't know the answer.

Effect

Finally mine is here. Will have to pick it up from the post office after work though. Wish it had came Friday like the tracking originally said. Oh well. Still feel good about the purchase and the money spent. No strong desire to back out. Just hope the experience makes that hold when I finally get it setup (hoping all ports on my computer work. It's a mix of 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports.)

Izuna

Banned

moSOmIL.jpg

Just get some anti-reflective coatings. :/

I think we are getting this price drop *instead* of a new version. They haven’t hinted at any future high-end VR headsets yet, and when this one first went on preorder they basically said it’d get updates every couple of years (Rift came out March 2016). So don’t expect a new PC headset until 2018. It sounds like next year they may be releasing mid-range headsets, better than Gear VR but not as good as Rift.

Ah cool. Gives the hardware a chance to cheapen a little more then if I give it another 7 months

Conezays

moSOmIL.jpg

Haven't tried Elite on the CV1 yet, but yeah, this issue has been fairly consistent in things like loading screens for me. I was convinced I had smudged my lenses more than I'd thought.

Listonosh

Oh wow, kind of glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this god ray issue. At first, I kept taking the Rift off and cleaning my glasses and the lenses with microfiber because I thought I kept steaming the lenses up, but after it happened almost all the time, I realized it has to be the headset itself.

I did notice it's the worst in dark scenes with a single light source. When Mage's Tale loads and that magic symbol appears in the middle of the screen, that thing shoots god rays like crazy. I havent tried Elite yet but I can imagine with a game that dark, it might be a problem.

As someone suggested, coming from PSVR where that's basically non-existent, I think that's why I'm noticing it so much on the RIFT. However, I still very much love the headset, and my god some of the games on here are absolutely killer.

enewtabie

Oh wow, kind of glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this god ray issue. At first, I kept taking the Rift off and cleaning my glasses and the lenses with microfiber because I thought I kept steaming the lenses up, but after it happened almost all the time, I realized it has to be the headset itself.

I did notice it's the worst in dark scenes with a single light source. When Mage's Tale loads and that magic symbol appears in the middle of the screen, that thing shoots god rays like crazy. I havent tried Elite yet but I can imagine with a game that dark, it might be a problem.

As someone suggested, coming from PSVR where that's basically non-existent, I think that's why I'm noticing it so much on the RIFT. However, I still very much love the headset, and my god some of the games on here are absolutely killer.

Haha I feel so dumb now. I was thinking " How did I smudge these lenses so quickly" or damn Enew your eyesight is getting really bad . I'm kinda overlooking it now. Played that Space pirate game and damn is that some fun. Honestly, I think this is the sweet spot for price on VR. I wouldn't have even got into these games with the old price and now I've purchased a few games.

I was worried I'd have buyers remorse after buying this thing, but honestly, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Robo Recall and Echo Arena more than justify the cost of admission. My interest in gaming has been dwindling severely as of late, but this has definitely gotten me back in the groove.

Listonosh

Haha I feel so dumb now. I was thinking " How did I smudge these lenses so quickly" or damn Enew your eyesight is getting really bad . I'm kinda overlooking it now. Played that Space pirate game and damn is that some fun. Honestly, I think this is the sweet spot for price on VR. I wouldn't have even got into these games with the old price and now I've purchased a few games.

That's literally me as well. I really didn't think I needed a second VR headset after owning the PSVR but damn, the Oculus Touch really seals the deal for this one.

As far as eyesight goes, I found that putting on glasses makes everything clearer for me. which is weird because I thought looking at VR meant your looking at things up close, and since I can't see far, I didn't think that was a problem. I found that super odd.

Have you played Robo Recall? Man, I don't think I've had more fun playing a VR game than that. Great mix of action and humor and some really fun controller mechanics. Reaching behind you to take out shotguns feels amazing. And ripping robots apart with your bare hands is super satisfying.

I was worried I'd have buyers remorse after buying this thing, but honestly, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Robo Recall and Echo Arena more than justify the cost of admission. My interest in gaming has been dwindling severely as of late, but this has definitely gotten me back in the groove.

Same! When I bought it at Best Buy, I made sure to find out how long I have before I can return it, stressing that I wasn't sure if my computer could run it (as an excuse in case I had buyer's remorse) but WOW, I'm keeping this little guy.

mantis23

I saw a few folks having issues with redeeming the EVE: Valkyrie code from Best Buy. I was also having the issue and eventually figured out that the codes don't exclude similar characters like most digital codes would do to avoid possible confusion. .

Turns out I had an upper case O that was sandwiched between two zeros and it was nearly impossible to tell the difference. Once I figured that out it redeemed no problem.

Ehker

Having a blast with my new Rift.

Think I got all the free games, but The Unspoken seems to be full priced. Think it had a free weekend or something? Maybe good idea to remove from OP, unless I'm missing something.

TI82

Banned
Yeah, I didn't know until I stopped using my normal glasses with the anti-reflective lenses. You can get some for the Rift (coatings) but I don't know where to get any.

Widmovr is the site name, great reviews all around but mine aren't here yet so I can't review for myself.

Come on UPS driver...I'm dying to get my hands on this and jump right in

Yep mine just departed my states FedEx hub a few minutes ago wonder if it will be here tonight or tomorrow. Estimated for tomorrow but I've gotten things earlier. I've also had horrible luck with FedEx being absolutely horrible so we will see

solarus

How great is the vr experience with an amd 290 and a 4670k? Not sure whether i should hold off and just upgrade my gpu. Thanks.

moSOmIL.jpg

Haven't tried Elite on the CV1 yet, but yeah, this issue has been fairly consistent in things like loading screens for me. I was convinced I had smudged my lenses more than I'd thought.

I'm really tempted to get a CV1 for the touch controls alone. BUT: I do own a DK2 and I tried the CV1 (without touch that is) already. The improvement of the display is not enough to get used to those god rays. They are stopping me from getting the CV1+Touch. (Playing mostly Elite with the Rift)

Too bad you cannot change the lenses. Too bad you can not use DK2 and Touch controllers :( I would gladly do so.

So I'm keeping my DK2 and waiting for the next generation. Hopefully without fresnel lenses.

enewtabie

That's literally me as well. I really didn't think I needed a second VR headset after owning the PSVR but damn, the Oculus Touch really seals the deal for this one.

As far as eyesight goes, I found that putting on glasses makes everything clearer for me. which is weird because I thought looking at VR meant your looking at things up close, and since I can't see far, I didn't think that was a problem. I found that super odd.

Have you played Robo Recall? Man, I don't think I've had more fun playing a VR game than that. Great mix of action and humor and some really fun controller mechanics. Reaching behind you to take out shotguns feels amazing. And ripping robots apart with your bare hands is super satisfying.

Just at the intro. Waiting on our house to be finished so I can use in my office upstairs. I keep hitting the desk right now. House of the Dying Sun is pretty good. I want to try that Raw Data game but not sure it's a shooter or an rpg.

I'm really tempted to get a CV1 for the touch controls alone. BUT: I do own a DK2 and I tried the CV1 (without touch that is) already. The improvement of the display is not enough to get used to those god rays. They are stopping me from getting the CV1+Touch. (Playing mostly Elite with the Rift)

Too bad you cannot change the lenses. Too bad you can not use DK2 and Touch controllers :( I would gladly do so.

So I'm keeping my DK2 and waiting for the next generation. Hopefully without fresnel lenses.

The "god rays" are annoying, for sure, but definitely not a deal breaker IMO. I generally only encounter them in game menus, and they've in no way impacted my playtime enjoyment.

I also have a DK2, and the overall experience is just infinitely better.

Haint

moSOmIL.jpg

The problem is Oculus' hybrid fresnels, not fresnels in general. Vive's glare artifacts are nowhere near the level of Oculus and are easy to ignore. The trade off with PSVRs simple lenses is their microscopic sweet spot and warping/bowing artifacts.

I have keyboard, mouse, hotas, g29 wheel, wireless xbox controller dongle. I stuck all of them on a single powered USB2.0 hub and hooked that to a single port. None of these items require much bandwidth.

Yeah I went ahead and did the same thing and just attached the hub to the back of my PC. It had a great side effect of cleaning up the back of that birds nest of wires.

Also, if you don't want to go the hub route, you can just get a USB 3.0 PCIe card if you wanna get nuts.

The "god rays" are annoying, for sure, but definitely not a deal breaker IMO. I generally only encounter them in game menus, and they've in no way impacted my playtime enjoyment.

I also have a DK2, and the overall experience is just infinitely better.
It's really that way for you?

I had the CV1 lying around for two weeks during christmas time (my brother in law brought it with him) and I just tried it, I hated the god rays and put it back in the box.

It's kinda funny the perception is that different.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
The problem is Oculus' hybrid fresnels, not fresnels in general. Vive's glare artifacts are nowhere near the level of Oculus and are easy to ignore. The trade off with PSVRs simple lenses is their microscopic sweet spot and warping/bowing artifacts.

It's the reverse for me regarding the godrays, the defined concentric circles on the vive are harder for me to ignore then the undefined smear on the rift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom