• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soroc

They look awesome right?! If there was a nice, metal adjustable gun stock mount like the protube for $40 bucks i'd buy one in a second... not for what they're charging however.

Yeah I've seen the DIY versions with the PCB piping but damn if the protube doesn't freaking look hot and super functional. I can't blame the price honestly, everything with VR is pretty expensive due to the low pop audience at the moment. Hopefully we'll see prices drop on these sweet accessories as the audience grows and more competition enters the market.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just got this in at work. One of the Windows Mixed Reality headsets Microsoft's been releasing to developers. It's pretty cool.

Looks super intriguing, how is the mixed reality part working out? As a user does the headset work well? And as a dev, any sense yet on how easy it is to get working?

Guys, this is the Oculus sale price thread. MS headset stuff, either start a thread on it or find an existing one.

Yeah I've seen the DIY versions with the PCB piping but damn if the protube doesn't freaking look hot and super functional. I can't blame the price honestly, everything with VR is pretty expensive due to the low pop audience at the moment. Hopefully we'll see prices drop on these sweet accessories as the audience grows and more competition enters the market.

Yeah. I mean if they were local to me (USA) i'd probably go for it... but f' that noise with international shipping etc.

I nearly took the plunge today at £399. I had to stop myself though because I know I need a whole new cpu, mobo, graphics card and ram to get anything out of it.... What's the average amount I'd be looking at for those items these days anyway?

Overclockers have a very decent prebuilt i5 7400 + GTX 1060 machine (but with standard parts so fully upgradeable) for £1000 inclusive of Oculus Touch and Rift.

Think you'd struggle to match that with a custom build once you factor in the cost of a Windows license.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...ition-oculus-rift-vr-gaming-pc-fs-1bp-og.html

Soroc

Yeah. I mean if they were local to me (USA) i'd probably go for it... but f' that noise with international shipping etc.

No doubt, its 40 bucks shipping to US I think. Total is like $122 with the standard color. If you got the money to burn it seems awesome but I'm with you. I'll wait for a US competitor to offer something comparable without the crazy shipping prices added on lol

Stiler

So what is the deal with Amazon?

My headset FINALLY shipped, supposed to be here on the 4th now.

The touch was stated to come in stock today so it would have been perfect.

Just got an email this morning now telling me it's not expected until the 14th...sigh.

Decided to try and setup the Oculus Touch and through the sensors as best I could around my room. The whole experience is simply amazing. The First Contact demo they play at the start was incredible and it felt amazing picking up things, throwing them around and messing around the virtual space. After I played around with it for a bit I tried Robo Recall and it was such a great experience. I cannot believe how immersive it felt and the action was intense (Albeit a great workout). I worked up quite the headache though which I am guessing is from playing too long.

Is it hard to setup SteamVR with the Rift if my sensor setup is already kind of wonky for Oculus VR? Like, I can't touch the floor and my hands sometimes shake and shuffle around briefly.

Is it hard to setup SteamVR with the Rift if my sensor setup is already kind of wonky for Oculus VR? Like, I can't touch the floor and my hands sometimes shake and shuffle around briefly.
It is possible to set up Oculus sensors so that you don't lose tracking near the floor, but if you're limited by your room layout or something, then SteamVR will also exhibit the same problems. I can imagine that become annoying fast however, as many VR games expect you to be able to pick stuff off the floor (when you inevitably drop a virtual object).

Downloading a gun to 3D print and use with your virtual reality set. Just take a step back and think of what people from a few decades back (yourselves, even) would think of that. At some point we started living in a sci-fi novel. :D

It really is important to step back in almost anything whether technology or societal improvements, in regards to the progress we've made to get some perspective. Yes it never changes as quickly as we'd like. But it's accelerated to a pretty impressive pace. One where in my short life of 20 some years I've seen multiple drastic shifts in tech and society.

Erekiddo

Make sure to post some impressions after you've gotten a chance to mess around with it :D

I'd love to hear what hang ups you had about VR prior and how you feel about them once you've tried it out :)

I think the fact that 3 of them seemingly came out around the same time was a bit overwhelming. Also the fact that it's new technology, I'm weary about being an early adopter.

I think the fact that 3 of them seemingly came out around the same time was a bit overwhelming. Also the fact that it's new technology, I'm weary about being an early adopter.

Those are honestly some of the most level headed reasons for being skeptical that I've ever heard in regards to VR.

I'd say you made the right call jumping in now as you got some high-end hardware for a much better price than it was at launch with months worth of games already released and available to play.

And while it was reasonable to be wary of VR's future as a new technology around launch, VR is 100% cemented at this point and absolutely here to stay forever so you're all good on that front as well :D

Lakuza

Any impressions of Gunheart and Archangel here?

Both look aiiiiight.

This thread is for the sale so theres not much indepth talk on games, but we have a few impressions on Gunheart in the pc vr thread, I've posted atleast 2 impressions on it (been playing it for the past 2-3 days now)
They are all on this page in the thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409109&page=7

EDIT:
Collected all impressions by post for you:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245020843&postcount=325
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245027956&postcount=326
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245051110&postcount=336
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245134227&postcount=346
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245134708&postcount=347

Weevilone

FYi...New adopters who wan't something better than the foam cover for the rift.

the Replacement cover at vrcover.com is SO worth it. Much more comfortable, less sweat, and you can just wipe it down when you're done.

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/

the only crappy thing is it takes like 14 days shipping time, which is annoying

Any suggestions for extension cables?

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the double-post.

MDave

Any progress for anyone that ordered from Oculus after the 14th/15th of July? I seem to remember the launch of the Rift taking forever to fulfil orders after the first 6 minutes of it going live on the site, wonder if its a similar situation because of how well this sale is doing for them.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Headset came in. Touch controllers tomorrow.

This is cool as hell. Resolution isn't great but that isn't stopping me. I'm on the vr train, I think

Wallach

Headset came in. Touch controllers tomorrow.

This is cool as hell. Resolution isn't great but that isn't stopping me. I'm on the vr train, I think

play superhot, robo recall and lone echo

those three can make a believer out of damn near anyone

This price seems really good. My problem is I tried the headset and controllers for the first time ever at a Microsoft store a couple of weeks ago and I left not in love with the experience. The 3D wasn't as pronounced as I thought it would be, and it wasn't as immersive as I was hoping. I was disappointed that the I could still see the edge of the screen and there was light leak from the bottom of the headset. I didn't play any games, just looked at the hub and tried demo with the alien on the moon, the top of the skyscraper, and the dinosaur in the hallway. Overall, I went in really excited about vr but left the demo not interested anymore. But this price...

I will say that the controllers were amazing. I couldn't believe how well it tracked my fingers and the whole thing seemed very accurate. I also wasn't disappointed in the resolution of the screen. I thought the display looked good.

Lakuza

This price seems really good. My problem is I tried the headset and controllers for the first time ever at a Microsoft store a couple of weeks ago and I left not in love with the experience. The 3D wasn't as pronounced as I thought it would be, and it wasn't as immersive as I was hoping. I was disappointed that the I could still see the edge of the screen and there was light leak from the bottom of the headset. I didn't play any games, just looked at the hub and tried demo with the alien on the moon, the top of the skyscraper, and the dinosaur in the hallway. Overall, I went in really excited about vr but left the demo not interested anymore. But this price...

I will say that the controllers were amazing. I couldn't believe how well it tracked my fingers and the whole thing seemed very accurate. I also wasn't disappointed in the resolution of the screen. I thought the display looked good.

you tried dreamdeck by the sounds of it which is a passive experience as you described, I believe that was the first tutorial before the controllers were launched so its quite dated. The new tutorial with the controllers should be good enough to showcase what vr can do, after that jumping straight into robo recall is mind blowing :)

by light leak at the bottom of the headset, i assume you mean a gap where your nose goes so you can see the ground/ legs etc? If so, I actually don't mind that, in games where you have no body, looking down and seeing your real one works in a weird way :) Plus I also use it to quickly see where I'm standing in the room or to face someone without taking the headset off.

Izuna

Banned
But it still involves using Steam, which I have no desire whatsoever to do.

BigScreen VR seems like a perfect fit for what I want to do - use my computer through a VR headset.

I'm just letting you know that it almost halved my performance in some games.

Matthew23

Finally got my Amazon deal rift today (headset only so far). Set up was much quicker than expected. I only had about 10 minutes to try it on and run the setup and view the demo stuff before getting ready for work (I had to try it!). A little tricky to get it on/off with glasses but it definitely fit. Looked better than I expected once I was able to angle it correctly. My initial impression is that this is going to be how I play games from now on... just amazing. I can see how the touch controllers and presence of hands they add will really add to the experience. Can't wait for them to get here to try some games out. Ok shit, I'm late for work.

Lum1n3s

Finally got my Amazon deal rift today (headset only so far). Set up was much quicker than expected. I only had about 10 minutes to try it on and run the setup and view the demo stuff before getting ready for work (I had to try it!). A little tricky to get it on/off with glasses but it definitely fit. Looked better than I expected once I was able to angle it correctly. My initial impression is that this is going to be how I play games from now on... just amazing. I can see how the touch controllers and presence of hands they add will really add to the experience. Can't wait for them to get here to try some games out. Ok shit, I'm late for work.
This! I just got mine in and mother of god, the VR hype is real. Just going through that little robot demo made the future much clearer. I'm in love with VR <3.

Terminus909

Neo Member

Did your amazon bundle happen to come with the xbox controller or are those phased out?

They charged me, and it says "Shipping" as of last night but I haven't received any new news. Touch controllers were moved from the 2nd to the 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom