• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiler

to add to what fixed2Bebroken said about extensions needing to be active, heres advice from oculus blog:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-extra-equipment/

All I know is I've seen these exact cables mentioned to work on both the amazon reviews and reddit,

"Can these be used to extend the usb connections for oculus rift?
Answer:
Yep. Both of my sensors and rift are extended with these cables.
By Gavin S. on December 11, 2016
Yes all three of my sensors are using these."

Matthew23

Did your amazon bundle happen to come with the xbox controller or are those phased out?

Yes, it had the Xbox controller and remote. I had my order placed on the 11th in the evening.

Another nice thing is that they used next day air UPS to ship. My tracking originated in Indiana yesterday and was at my door in AZ today.

All I know is I've seen these exact cables mentioned to work on both the amazon reviews and reddit,

"Can these be used to extend the usb connections for oculus rift?
Answer:
Yep. Both of my sensors and rift are extended with these cables.
By Gavin S. on December 11, 2016
Yes all three of my sensors are using these."

thats nice. they work. they just swapped to 2.0 randomly every now and then. and if u use more than 1 on the same cable, it will only be 2.0

It really is important to step back in almost anything whether technology or societal improvements, in regards to the progress we've made to get some perspective. Yes it never changes as quickly as we'd like. But it's accelerated to a pretty impressive pace. One where in my short life of 20 some years I've seen multiple drastic shifts in tech and society.

20 some? Yikes, that means I've probably known of Aztechnology since before you were born (from my 1992 Shadowrun sourcebook...). :D

20 some? Yikes, that means I've probably known of Aztechnology since before you were born (from my 1992 Shadowrun sourcebook...). :D

1991. So probably. When I started using this name I had never played Shadowrun either. I just was thinking of word combinations for a username and liked the sound of it.

Terminus909

Neo Member
Yes, it had the Xbox controller and remote. I had my order placed on the 11th in the evening.

Another nice thing is that they used next day air UPS to ship. My tracking originated in Indiana yesterday and was at my door in AZ today.

Thanks for the feedback! Mine shipped yesterday and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (didn't get the air 1 day upgrade) and I hope it has an xbox controller.

Mobius 1

Ended up buying a 3rd sensor because I wanted more freedom for things like Lone Echo. Setup was a breeze.

Did anyone's controller had the battery plastic tab stuck? I can't remove it, may have to pop the controller open.

to add to what fixed2Bebroken said about extensions needing to be active, heres advice from oculus blog:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-extra-equipment/
And just for some more information, here’s from the Oculus forum:

Cyberreality said:
Just because I was curious myself, I got some USB 3.0 and HDMI extension cables. I used them with both the sensor and the consumer headset. They're standard 10 foot passive cables. They seem to work with no problem. Cheers.

So, here were the cables used if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ517VI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7SA21U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Even though Rift uses HDMI 1.3, it's probably safer to get the 1.4 (4K/3D compatible) cables.

The extension cables were 10 feet each. The headset cable is supposed to be 4 meters (I didn't measure, but sounds right), so total length of the main cable is probably around 22 feet after extension. I'm not actually sure how long the sensor cable is. It may be slightly shorter but enough to place anywhere on an average desk without extension.

Yes, I do recall there being some problems with extension cables and DK2, but I'll keep testing on the setup and report back if there are any issues.

I'm not sure if hubs would work, as they may be bandwidth limited.

The cables I recommended in this thread should work. I've been using them for months without issue

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/30513/yes-extension-cables-do-work-w-cv1

Weevilone

Got my headset today.. thoughts in the 1 camera / Xbox game pad era.

I had fun with Lucky's Tale. I was surprised that it got choppy sometimes, but perhaps I was multitasking too much? I'm using 7700k and 1080ti and the GPU didn't seem to be working hard.

Sometimes it felt like stuff needed to be rotated a few degrees when on menus and such.

I need to work on comfort a lot. I have a skin condition and will need to make things as gentle as possible on my face. Tonight wasn't great in that regard. I also wasn't thrilled with the light coming in around my nose. I'll be investigating replacements for the fit and comfort, so recommendations appreciated.

That's it so far, definitely a good purchase. I can only compare to PS VR, which had better lenses and comfort. Obviously this will win the performance compare, and tracking too. My experience with PSVR tracking was terrible.

No idea what to play next.

Chanser

Got my headset today.. thoughts in the 1 camera / Xbox game pad era.

I had fun with Lucky's Tale. I was surprised that it got choppy sometimes, but perhaps I was multitasking too much? I'm using 7700k and 1080ti and the GPU didn't seem to be working hard.

Sometimes it felt like stuff needed to be rotated a few degrees when on menus and such.

I need to work on comfort a lot. I have a skin condition and will need to make things as gentle as possible on my face. Tonight wasn't great in that regard. I also wasn't thrilled with the light coming in around my nose. I'll be investigating replacements for the fit and comfort, so recommendations appreciated.

That's it so far, definitely a good purchase. I can only compare to PS VR, which had better lenses and comfort. Obviously this will win the performance compare, and tracking too. My experience with PSVR tracking was terrible.

No idea what to play next.

Racket NX - Futuristic squash game
Just ordered Widmovr VR covers, apparently it covers the nose gap for some people.

So I thought that you needed USB3.0 to use everything properly and I purchased the recommended PCI card in anticipation. My Rift arrived yesterday and I have a combination of USB 2.0 plus and early USB 3.0 ASmedia in use with no issues at all, am I missing something or is it a case of your mileage may vary? Thinking of sending the PCI card back as I don't seem to need it.

So I thought that you needed USB3.0 to use everything properly and I purchased the recommended PCI card in anticipation. My Rift arrived yesterday and I have a combination of USB 2.0 plus and early USB 3.0 ASmedia in use with no issues at all, am I missing something or is it a case of your mileage may vary? Thinking of sending the PCI card back as I don't seem to need it.

From what i've heard most work just fine on 2.0

Lum1n3s

Is it normal for the nose mask to be loose? Noticed when I took off the headset, the bottom part was kind if open and out. Could see two little plastic things that look like they go into something one on each side and when I connect it feels like it's in but doesn't feel secure.

Lancelot

I use my two sensors and headset on 2.0, it runs flawlessly.

Izuna

Banned
Compatible with more Steam VR games down on the line.

Although, I like to lean towards Rift for more portability, control and price.

Compatibility should change over time, no developer would be silly enough.

If you are talking about finger tracking, your Vive won't have it if you buy it soon.

Soroc

FYi...New adopters who wan't something better than the foam cover for the rift.

the Replacement cover at vrcover.com is SO worth it. Much more comfortable, less sweat, and you can just wipe it down when you're done.

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/

the only crappy thing is it takes like 14 days shipping time, which is annoying

Does anyone know if I get the basic set it will be compatible with my widmovr prescription lens + adapter that I will have next week?

Also I see that Rift was #3 and #6 today on Amazon UK. Seems like Rift sales not only in the US have picked up. This is very good news across the board for VR!

Does anyone know if I get the basic set it will be compatible with my widmovr prescription lens + adapter that I will have next week?

judging from how they fit in the video, and how they vrcover replacement looks. It seems like they will fit. I will know for sure once i get my widmovr but I can't see how they wont fit based on the video and looking at it in person.

Soroc

judging from how they fit in the video, and how they vrcover replacement looks. It seems like they will fit. I will know for sure once i get my widmovr but I can't see how they wont fit based on the video and looking at it in person.

Thank you! Yeah it looked like from videos that it has the same slots in the faceplate for where the lens adapter fits in but hadn't really seen anyone talking about combining them. I really want that leather padding. Think I'll take a shot and get the basic or pro set now since it seems to take about 2 weeks to get them in the states.

Thank you! Yeah it looked like from videos that it has the same slots in the faceplate for where the lens adapter fits in but hadn't really seen anyone talking about combining them. I really want that leather padding. Think I'll take a shot and get the basic or pro set now since it seems to take about 2 weeks to get them in the states.

it's so much more comfortable and breathable.

Awesome, I shall keep that PCI card around for a few days in case of any issues but otherwise back to Amazon it goes.

I also havent had a single issue with just 2 sensors, "mini-roomscale" with only one on 3.0. Sensors up high in each ceiling corner diagonally opposed and it's perfection.

1991. So probably. When I started using this name I had never played Shadowrun either. I just was thinking of word combinations for a username and liked the sound of it.

Wait, what? That's pretty cool! How did you react when you learned of it?

Edit: on second thought, I shouldn't derail the thread. Sorry and carry on. :/

Wait, what? That's pretty cool! How did you react when you learned of it?

Edit: on second thought, I shouldn't derail the thread. Sorry and carry on. :/

Nobody cares about a quick tangent ;)

Honestly for a while I fought it, like "Oh, Shadowrun is cool, but my name has nothing to do with it." Blah blah when people would mention it. Then later I kind of just accepted it, as I really do enjoy Shadowrun, especially in my late teens through present. My previous experience was the 360 game (At that time my name was Sporkmaster on most games though lol), then tabletop in college and more recently the Hair Brained Schemes games.

The name is also not well known enough to usually come up, but when it does, well like any more subtle (Even though it's a major corp) reference it's generally pretty cool, assuming I can keep up. I still to this day have more limited exposure than I'd like to admit lol.

MDave

Scan (UK website) have got some in stock, just bought and estimated delivery tomorrow or Monday. So yeah ... cancelled my Oculus order. I'll be joining you all in the next couple of days in the Rift!

This is what it said on the site, so fingers crossed! "Order by 18:20 & receive by Friday, 4th August 2017".

Mascot

Scan (UK website) have got some in stock, just bought and estimated delivery tomorrow or Monday. So yeah ... cancelled my Oculus order. I'll be joining you all in the next couple of days in the Rift!

This is what it said on the site, so fingers crossed! "Order by 18:20 & receive by Friday, 4th August 2017".

Is it the old bundle with the remote and Xbone controller/wireless dongle? When I spoke with Scan a few weeks ago they weren't sure what new stock they were getting, but thought it might be a new one-box bundle.

Edit: ah, seems not. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/ultimate-oculus-bundle-inc-oculus-rift-headset-and-oculus-touch-controllers-for-mind-blowing-virtual

Soroc

Does Best buy not sell sensors in store anymore? Was going to get one on my trip this weekend

I got mine 1.5 weeks ago using in store pickup same day so they probably still do, they just might be out of stock unfortunately. Try placing an in store order on the website and see what estimate for pickup they give you before finalizing the order.

Unai

That's probably not the best place do ask, but how is the current situation of VR and seated experiences?

I thinking about buying the rift, and although I'm sure that the games made with VR in mind and using room scale will be much better I can't justify spending $900+ (I don't live in the USA) to play only them. I want something that would be good to play games seated with normal controllers or keyboard and mouse.

Guys the worst thing imaginable just happened.

I got a bonus recently and my wife and I were talking about spending it on a trip to Disneyland with my daughters. Then I happened to mention we could also get a vr headset (we had both just tried the Oculus and touch controllers at an MS store) with the money. I thought she walked away from the experience indifferent but then she said “oh shoot, that would be awesome.”

?!?!?!? What do I do! How long do you guys think this deal is going to be around?

Soroc

I got a bonus recently and my wife and I were talking about spending it on a trip to Disneyland with my daughters. Then I happened to mention we could also get a vr headset (we had both just tried the Oculus and touch controllers at an MS store) with the money. I thought she walked away from the experience indifferent but then she said “oh shoot, that would be awesome.”

?!?!?!? What do I do! How long do you guys think this deal is going to be around?

I personally would take the kids to Disneyland, especially if they have never been there. Price of VR is going to come down to where it is now regardless. I wouldn't be surprised if Rift just keeps the 399 price point since it seems to be selling gangbusters for them and they probably have something newish to announce at OC4 in October anyway. If its 399 for the whole summer only than that would be until mid September I guess.

hoserx

Yeah, Actual Reality with your kids only lasts so long. VR is only going to get better. Get your Disneyland on.

Wallach

That's the worst thing imaginable...? Whatever happens, you're gonna be okay I think, lol.

To be honest when this deal ends it is only going to go up by like $100. I also would not be surprised if they have a similar deal around Chrismas or Black Friday, so I'd take the kids to Disneyland while the weather is good and get the VR when you're gonna be spending more time indoors around the holidays.

Blam

It's a 6 week deal so it'll be for a while

MDave

I got a bonus recently and my wife and I were talking about spending it on a trip to Disneyland with my daughters. Then I happened to mention we could also get a vr headset (we had both just tried the Oculus and touch controllers at an MS store) with the money. I thought she walked away from the experience indifferent but then she said ”oh shoot, that would be awesome."

why-not-both-gif-5.gif

(Doing Paypal credit with 0% interest for 4 months, basically buy now pay later as I can pay it off after a couple of months ;) )

My order from Scan was processed blazing fast!

45759cdca5.jpg

Weevilone

They did you a solid on the shipping. My stuff shipped UPS Ground and USPS Parcel Select.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom