• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any of you guys comment on what Oculus’s return policy like? I don’t want to abuse it, but if there’s a chance the headset isn’t right for me after extended usage, can I simply return it?

MDave

Can any of you guys comment on what Oculus's return policy like? I don't want to abuse it, but if there's a chance the headset isn't right for me after extended usage, can I simply return it?

Depends on the country perhaps, but here in the UK by law there is a 14-day returns for goods like the Rift, no matter what the reason is (as long as its not user damaged). Amazon are the best if you don't have a law like that in your country.

Depends on the country perhaps, but here in the UK by law there is a 14-day returns for goods like the Rift, no matter what the reason is (as long as its not user damaged). Amazon are the best if you don't have a law like that in your country.
United States. I could be wrong but I don’t think we have a similar policy.

But if we did, definitely sounds like the kind of safeguard our current administration would make sure to get rid of.

Gorn is incredibly fun. Over the last couple weeks my buddy and I have split Rick and Morty, Arizona Sunshine, and now Gorn. Definitely gonna get the most leverage outta Gorn, it's perfect for switching off. I'm just afraid my buddy is gonna break the shit out of my TV playing it, haha

low-G

Battlezone is $19.99 if you don't have it. I think I'm going to try that tonight.

I really love Battlezone. Probably the most in terms of sheer hours I've spent in VR (hard to tell because I was a beta tester too).

Fully featured game for a genre that gets far too few games these days.

Guys the worst thing imaginable just happened.

I got a bonus recently and my wife and I were talking about spending it on a trip to Disneyland with my daughters. Then I happened to mention we could also get a vr headset (we had both just tried the Oculus and touch controllers at an MS store) with the money. I thought she walked away from the experience indifferent but then she said “oh shoot, that would be awesome.”

?!?!?!? What do I do! How long do you guys think this deal is going to be around?

As someone who frequents Disneyland, $400 isn't going to get you very far. Might as well blow it on the Oculus. ;)

Lord Phol

Yeah Battlezone was a definitive favorite of mine on PSVR. Really want to get it on steam but still haven't heard anything regarding my Oculus order yet..

Izuna

Banned
Okay, Rift people!

Bae is visiting in exactly 2 weeks and I'm gunna need some great VR experiences (and multiplayer?) games.

Any recommendations?

Of course, outside of Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes.

ThisGuy

Okay, Rift people!

Bae is visiting in exactly 2 weeks and I'm gunna need some great VR experiences (and multiplayer?) games.

Any recommendations?

Of course, outside of Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes.
Rec room, best vr game I've ever played.

Its free.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I personally would take the kids to Disneyland, especially if they have never been there. Price of VR is going to come down to where it is now regardless. I wouldn't be surprised if Rift just keeps the 399 price point since it seems to be selling gangbusters for them and they probably have something newish to announce at OC4 in October anyway. If its 399 for the whole summer only than that would be until mid September I guess.

Oculus already said they are pricing it $499 (without xbox controller and remote) after this sales concluded.

_woLf

Really tired of fighting with my USB shit on my PC.

I have a Z77X motherboard which sounds like they can be fucky with the rift. :/

What is the best, cheapest multi-USB 3.0 PCI card that will work great with the Rift?

Amneisac

What is the best, cheapest multi-USB 3.0 PCI card that will work great with the Rift?

I bought a supported 3.0 card and it still does funky shit with USB switching to 2.0 and stuff.

As someone who frequents Disneyland, $400 isn't going to get you very far. Might as well blow it on the Oculus. ;)

Oh I know. To make trip I would need to use the entire bonus.

But it doesn't matter because I bought a Rift using interest free credit! YAY! I did it! Now I just need to get an inexpensive video card. I'm embarrassed to say that right now I'm only rocking an ATI Radeon HD 5670. Everything else on my PC is good though. Would an Nvidia 1050 be adequate?

But it doesn't matter because I bought a Rift using interest free credit! YAY! I did it! Now I just need to get an inexpensive video card. I'm embarrassed to say that right now I'm only rocking an ATI Radeon HD 5670. Everything else on my PC is good though. Would an Nvidia 1050 be adequate?

Aim for a GTX 1060 6GB minimum if you can.

Aim for a GTX 1060 6GB minimum if you can.

Agreed. Unfortunately you just missed the eBay 10% off deals and Jet deals which helped to really cut down on costs. Might be more with back to school stuff. Usually good deals to be had.

I bought a 1080 for $465. Then said na... I really wanted a 1080ti which I got for like $630. But now I need to sell the 1080... Lol

Lord Phol

Still nothing new regarding oculus orders for Europe people :(. Considering the horror stories I've read about their support I'm getting tempted to just grab it from Amazon even though I'll have to pay more.

Edit: oh shit seems like stuff is happening!

MDave

Heh, can't believe less then 24 hours ago I ordered it online from Scan and it's going to be in my hands in a short moment! Any recommended tips to do before setting things up?

Seems an acceptable deal if it wasn't for the ridiculously high PC specs/hardware/money required to enjoy this tech in a proper way...

hoserx

Seems an acceptable deal if it wasn't for the ridiculously high PC specs/hardware/money required to enjoy this tech in a proper way...

This is the 13,324th time that's been said since this sale started. Most people who are seriously considering high-end VR already have a gaming PC.

Amneisac

Agreed. Unfortunately you just missed the eBay 10% off deals and Jet deals which helped to really cut down on costs. Might be more with back to school stuff. Usually good deals to be had.

I bought a 1080 for $465. Then said na... I really wanted a 1080ti which I got for like $630. But now I need to sell the 1080... Lol

Can you not just return it?

Yup, I can feel your pain (Asus Z77). I bought a 3.0 PCI card and although I've been able to get it to work for the most part, I still struggle with errors and issues. I'm considering upgrading my CPU/Motherboard mainly because of it.

ChazGW7

Im so close to pulling the trigger and ordering from Scan. I know £400 is a steal im just worried I won't get much use out of it from upcoming games.

giphy.gif

MJPIA

Need to get used to it but having fun so far while waiting for my touch controllers to arrive.
Only annoying thing is turning it on after hibernation gives me a "Rift HDMI cable isn't plugged in" error every time and none of the fixes I've googled work for me.
Only way I've found to fix it is restart and I don't want to do that every time.

MDave

Love the box presentation and how everything is packed so neat and tidy, they make it feel like you are unboxing something quite luxurious hah.

Hot damn this is amazing. If you are on the fence, the experience of using the Touch controllers and playing Robo Recall and catching dozens of bullets with your hands and throwing them back like you were Neo or something is one of the best experiences in games I've ever had. Definitely need enough space that you can stretch your arms out in a circle around you (can play this standing in one spot and lean if you are limited in space). It's so good.

The finger gestures and hand tracking being so close to 1:1 is so magical the first time!

Tried Elite with the Touch controllers, controls need binding as they aren't binded at all by default. Even then, limited number of buttons so will not bother with those for this game.

Noticed the god rays are more pronounced the closer your eyes are to the lenses, so adjusted the side straps to minimise them somewhat. Trickier getting a clearer picture then the Gear VR I have, but once you get the fit just right its fine.

If you are in the UK, cancel Oculus order and go with Scan if they have them in stock. They got me the Rift in less then 24 hours hah!

By the way, setup thinks I am using USB 2 ports for everything, but I have at least one of the sensors in a USB 3. Everything still works!

Mascot

Love the box presentation and how everything is packed so neat and tidy, they make it feel like you are unboxing something quite luxurious hah.

*snip*

If you are in the UK, cancel Oculus order and go with Scan if they have them in stock. They got me the Rift in less then 24 hours hah!

Is it the new one-box bundle from Scan, without the Xbone controller, wireless dongle and remote?

corin7

Neo Member

Hot damn this is amazing. If you are on the fence, the experience of using the Touch controllers and playing Robo Recall and catching dozens of bullets with your hands and throwing them back like you were Neo or something is one of the best experiences in games I've ever had. Definitely need enough space that you can stretch your arms out in a circle around you (can play this standing in one spot and lean if you are limited in space). It's so good.

The finger gestures and hand tracking being so close to 1:1 is so magical the first time!

Tried Elite with the Touch controllers, controls need binding as they aren't binded at all by default. Even then, limited number of buttons so will not bother with those for this game.

Noticed the god rays are more pronounced the closer your eyes are to the lenses, so adjusted the side straps to minimise them somewhat. Trickier getting a clearer picture then the Gear VR I have, but once you get the fit just right its fine.

By the way, setup thinks I am using USB 2 ports for everything, but I have at least one of the sensors in a USB 3. Everything still works!

Really need that hotas setup for Elite but then it is amazing. If you like Robo Recall you are going to love to Super Hot VR. Good to see so many people enjoying their Rifts.

ArtHands

Heh, can't believe less then 24 hours ago I ordered it online from Scan and it's going to be in my hands in a short moment! Any recommended tips to do before setting things up?

Download and install oculus client, buy some exclusive games (be careful not to purchase the stuffs u will get for free) clear some space to play

Ops just saw that you already received it

ArtHands

Its not that ridiculously high actually, they are not asking for a 1080ti with 16gb RAM. Most mid end PC is just one graphic card (to a $170 1050ti) upgrade away to meeting the requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom