• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplexPL

You most probably can on minimum settings - because these are minimum requirements. It implies that ASW is used at all times (so the actual framerate is 45).

MJPIA

Touch controllers shipped woo!

I dunno if its a slow day or what but I've gotta say Oculus's customer support is fast.
I've sent 5 back and forth emails with Oculus due to a Eve Valkyrie code not working and each time they emailed back within 25 minutes.

MDave

I think I've played too much in one go, wasnt feeling the effects until now when I'm about to go to bed hah. Need to develop those VR legs.

So I ordered my Rift and I've been looking at whats available. There's a stable of games I want to get but I'm more curious about the non gaming applications.

I'm very very interested in Google Earth VR just based off of Giantbombs opinions on it. But outside of that, what else should I look into? Are there any meditative experiences that are worth checking out? Are there any cool recreations of castles or TV and movie environments?

Stiler

Just got my headset today (no touch though, that comes tomorrow).

Got it hooked up ok and setting up my headset.

Thank God for google, at first my headset was way too tight/weird and I find out how to properly adjust it and that you can tilt the headset up/down to put the weight on your forehead rather then your cheeks and wear it more like you would say, ski goggles.

The sense of scale is amazing in the few demos that play after you get it setup, the alien, the dinosaur, etc.

The one thing though that so far is bugging me is how blurry/smeary some things look, mainly lights. Like on the Home menu (with the pool/pond and the moonlight) if I look at the moon and things depending on how I move my head there's a lot of light smear going on, almost like you're looking through plastic with smudges on it (and yes I have taken off the plastic lens protectors).

Definitely think I'm going to have to order some of those lens things for glasses cause my glasses and a huge pita and I gave up on trying to wear them with the rift.

Apart from that it looked great, I didn't really notice any "Screen door" effect except when looking at like a text-menu in the store, then you can notice it.

Anyone recommend me some good games?

Lone Echo is a must already and one I plan to get come tomorrow when I get the controllers.

What are the "must haves" for VR right now?

I intend to play sitting down mainly for health reasons, so I'd like games that support that and don't require a lot of standing/moving around to play them.

_woLf

Yup, I can feel your pain (Asus Z77). I bought a 3.0 PCI card and although I've been able to get it to work for the most part, I still struggle with errors and issues. I'm considering upgrading my CPU/Motherboard mainly because of it.

This is....extremely discouraging. :(

Izuna

Banned
So it wasn't the 144hz monitor, but VR that made 60hz feel choppy for me.

Was on Rec Room for about 2 hours and now DOOM on Xbone feels awful.

Soi-Fong

Thank God for google, at first my headset was way too tight/weird and I find out how to properly adjust it and that you can tilt the headset up/down to put the weight on your forehead rather then your cheeks and wear it more like you would say, ski goggles.

The sense of scale is amazing in the few demos that play after you get it setup, the alien, the dinosaur, etc.

The one thing though that so far is bugging me is how blurry/smeary some things look, mainly lights. Like on the Home menu (with the pool/pond and the moonlight) if I look at the moon and things depending on how I move my head there's a lot of light smear going on, almost like you're looking through plastic with smudges on it (and yes I have taken off the plastic lens protectors).

Definitely think I'm going to have to order some of those lens things for glasses cause my glasses and a huge pita and I gave up on trying to wear them with the rift.

Apart from that it looked great, I didn't really notice any "Screen door" effect except when looking at like a text-menu in the store, then you can notice it.

Lone Echo is a must already and one I plan to get come tomorrow when I get the controllers.

I intend to play sitting down mainly for health reasons, so I'd like games that support that and don't require a lot of standing/moving around to play them.

A lot of the cockpit games then will be good like Elite Dangerous. ArchAngel seems to be being reviewed pretty good as well even if it's a bit on the short side.

Don't forget Star Trek! It's the best Social VR game right now and you don't have to be really into the movies or shows to enjoy it. The Climb is another game that you can enjoy sitting down as well.

There's a few others like Wilson's Heart and Chronos that you shouldn't miss as well.

Erekiddo

Still pretty nervous about dropping $400 on this, but man, all I want to do is play Stardew Valley while in bed. (and not on a portable)

... :|

SimplexPL

Still pretty nervous about dropping $400 on this, but man, all I want to do is play Stardew Valley while in bed. (and not on a portable)

... :|

It's not the best use for current gen VR, the image resolution is too low, alhough maype in a pixel-art game like SW it will not be that much visible.

Finally arrived! Haven't got a chance to set everything up yet as I just got home from a trip across the country and I'm exhausted. But man, it's a very premium feeling device. I'm not sure why I thought it would feel cheaper. But everything feels very sturdy and rugged. I love the texture on the device (I hate glossy plastics etc. So this is great, especially when dealing with sweat.) Hopefully my WidmoVR cover comes before my touch controllers arrive (Slated August 14th for the controllers apparently.)

Shifty

Of course, my body would make the executive decision to wake up two hours early on the day my rift is set to arrive.

Now to stare at the door until the delivery man comes.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Of course, my body would make the executive decision to wake up two hours early on the day my rift is set to arrive.

Now to stare at the door until the delivery man comes.
You can download and install the oculus client on your pc in the meantime

Shifty

You can download and install the oculus client on your pc in the meantime

Oh, I already did! That and installing as much free content as I could find. I even designed a few sensor setups with adhesive mounts for future use.

Back to staring at the door I guess :p

I need to clean my space badly and optimize it for room scale (I'll have three sensors once the touch controllers arrive) But what can/should I play on Rift without my Touch controllers? I'll look into Chronos, but top recommendation for now? One title is probably enough to hold me over.

Stiler

Also what can I do about the nosegap? Basically when I have the headset on there's still space between the bottom of the rift and my nose so I can see light/the outside world, I'd like to be able to close this off somehow but apart from growing a larger nose what can I do?

I read that the VR covers can help with it, anyone tried those?

IE:
https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/

Or are there others that help better with it?

Musician

For those on the fence due to owning Z77 mobos, I have an asus extreme4 which has worked so far without a hitch. Make sure you download the latest drivers for your usb controllers though. I'm currently using only the intel ports. (Two in the back, one in the front). No issues what so ever.

Also what can I do about the nosegap? Basically when I have the headset on there's still space between the bottom of the rift and my nose so I can see light/the outside world, I'd like to be able to close this off somehow but apart from growing a larger nose what can I do?

IE:
https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/

Wearing the headset low on your head and angling it down as far as you can should more or less eliminate the gap, depending on facial shape, of course.

IE:

I've heard the WidmoVR cover I'm getting is especially good at this, but I can't comment until it arrives.

MDave

I let my bro use my brand new rift for 30 mins, then he handed it back to me ... foam drenched in sweat. I was mad and disgusted, so ordered some VR covers that are washable at least!

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I let my bro use my brand new rift for 30 mins, then he handed it back to me ... foam drenched in sweat. I was mad and disgusted, so ordered some VR covers that are washable at least!

Yeah...I have to make sure I turn on central AC on top of having window AC with the fan on when I put this on. I can't wait for the weather to get cooler

Shifty

The first time I shared a VR headset at work was the most awkward thing ever. Here's hoping Gen 2 can do something about the ick.

Bert

This is the 13,324th time that's been said since this sale started. Most people who are seriously considering high-end VR already have a gaming PC.

That's just not true, it's just a self selecting sample. It'd be like saying only rich people want electric cars because of Tesla.

Me and at least five of my mates would love a rift but are all console gamers and can't justify spending £1500 on a gaming machine with limited full length experiences and that would get no use outside of VR. I had issues spending £200 on a Wii U just to play Nintendo games.

If console VR ever gets on the same level, or I can get the whole lot for £800 or so, Ill be on it like a tramp on chips. Until then Ive just got my face pressed up against the virtual window.

SimplexPL

If console VR ever gets on the same level, or I can get the whole lot for £800 or so, Ill be on it like a tramp on chips

You actually can. Rift is £400 currently and for another £400 it's entirely possible to build a VR ready PC that meets the minimum requirements (although it may require buying used components).

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/h4G323/cheapest-vr-ready-pc?show=1

This example is a bit outdated, but if anything prices should be lower now (even the GPUs prices are going down as the cryptocurrency craze seems to wind down, at least for now)

This is just from the new parts and has SSD:
https://riftinfo.com/choose-your-vr-pc-budget-i-will-build-it-2017-edition

you can save a lot if you buy a used 970 which should be faster than 1050Ti.

Shifty

Mine arrived! Watching the DPD truck tracker all morning was not good for my health, fuckers need to learn how to solve the Traveling Salesman Problem.

This thing is great. Everything's showing up as USB2 despite being plugged into the appropriate ports, but the tracking seems fine so far. Did the touch tutorial and Bullet Train, and I'm Already super happy with it.
The Vive we have at work seems a bit more solid on the tracking, but the ergonomics on the Rift are the real deal.

Now I just need to stock up on ginger while I get my VR legs. Feeling a tad wobbly after my first hour.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Mine arrived! Watching the DPD truck tracker all morning was not good for my health, fuckers need to learn how to solve the Traveling Salesman Problem.

This thing is great. Everything's showing up as USB2 despite being plugged into the appropriate ports, but the tracking seems fine so far. Did the touch tutorial and Bullet Train, and I'm Already super happy with it.
The Vive we have at work seems a bit more solid on the tracking, but the ergonomics on the Rift are the real deal.

Now I just need to stock up on ginger while I get my VR legs. Feeling a tad wobbly after my first hour.

As far as tracking goes a 3rd sensor goes a long way in solidifying tracking if you're seeing some issues.

Have you run the little calibration app for siting the headset on your face? It shows you a cross hair of a few vertical and horizontal green lines. You change IPD to get the least blur on the vertical lines, and physically move the headset up and down your face to get the horizontal lines sorted.

It's worth playing around with just so you can see how small adjustments on the headset can make quite big differences to blurriness.

In terms of must haves I would say:-
Google Earth VR
Rec Room -one of the most unexpectedly fun things was playing charades with 6 other people.
Superhot VR
Robo Recall
Big screen beta
Virtual Desktop

I havent played lone echo yet but it gets rave reviews from everyone.

rtcn63

Is it true that the rift only has a 1 year warranty, and afterwards you can't even pay for repair or replacement parts?

Shifty

Just tried out The Lab with the Rift, and I think I actually like it more than my experience with the Vive in some ways.

As far as tracking goes a 3rd sensor goes a long way in solidifying tracking if you're seeing some issues.

I think the main issue is that i'm not using the 360 setup at the moment. The sensors are on each end of my desk, and since it's L-shaped my play area is sorta angled off to the side.

I'll probably nab myself a proper USB card, some active USB3 extensions and adhesive sensor mounts. See if I can't improve my current setup a bit before I splash out on another sensor.

Edit: I redid my setup, and now have the sensors on two sides of the play area pointing in toward the center. Ignored the setup instructions and pointed at my desired 'forward' direction so the play area would fit in the box, and it's a night-and-day difference.
Feels like roomscale instead of standing, with just a tiny bit of iffyness with the touch controllers in the corner opposite the sensors. They need to integrate this into the tutorial ASAP, it's great.

Having used the Vive (Albeit briefly) I personally think the Rift is better in every way with exceptions to tracker setup, glasses comfort, and Maybeeee privacy issues. It's a shame it isn't selling nearly as well as the Vive.

Having used the Vive (Albeit briefly) I personally think the Rift is better in every way with exceptions to tracker setup, glasses comfort, and Maybeeee privacy issues. It's a shame it isn't selling nearly as well as the Vive.

I guarantee you it's been selling way better than the Vive for the past month or so. ;)

The Dude

I have a standing fan to turn on and blow at me during vr sessions, it's a difference maker. I can play pretty long sessions now.

Shifty

Has anyone else had eyestrain issues when playing Minecraft in VR? Specifically the Vivecraft version, it's way more fully featured than its Windows 10 equivalent but has been noticeably less comfortable than other VR stuff.
I think maybe it has to do with how close to your eyes the inventory and menu popups are?

I guarantee you it's been selling way better than the Vive for the past month or so. ;)

Truth. Oculus are getting more orders than they can ship right now.

I have a standing fan to turn on and blow at me during vr sessions, it's a difference maker. I can play pretty long sessions now.

Is that purely from a heat management standpoint, or does it help with other stuff like orientation, motion sickness, etc?

The Chef

So Im not sure whats going on but my tracking is getting a bit wonky.
I was playing Lone Echo for quite a while yesterday and it was rock solid. I disconnected a sensor from my PC momentarily today and when I started playing I was danging all over the place. I ended up restarting my PC and trying again. This time it seemed ok but if I remained still there was a slight jitter happening on my movement.

Whats causing this?

The Dude

Has anyone else had eyestrain issues when playing Minecraft in VR? Specifically the Vivecraft version, it's way more fully featured than its Windows 10 equivalent but has been noticeably less comfortable than other VR stuff.
I think maybe it has to do with how close to your eyes the inventory and menu popups are?

Truth. Oculus are getting more orders than they can ship right now.

Is that purely from a heat management standpoint, or does it help with other stuff like orientation, motion sickness, etc?

Well it might help with a but of orientation, overall this I just know I don't get hot at all anymore. I can sit and just play, now of course anything with major movement I sort of have to push it back further but when I'm sitting on my swivel chair doing most of my vr stuff I have it pointing at me and it's been a lifesaver.

Lakuza

So Im not sure whats going on but my tracking is getting a bit wonky.
I was playing Lone Echo for quite a while yesterday and it was rock solid. I disconnected a sensor from my PC momentarily today and when I started playing I was danging all over the place. I ended up restarting my PC and trying again. This time it seemed ok but if I remained still there was a slight jitter happening on my movement.

Whats causing this?

If you haven't already, I'd recommend running the oculus setup again to re-calibrate the sensors. Disconnecting one may have had the same effect that moving sensors around does (which results in issues with tracking, but its fixed by going through the setup again).

The Chef

If you haven't already, I'd recommend running the oculus setup again to rec-calibrate the sensors. Disconnecting one may have had the same effect that moving sensors around does (which results in issues with tracking, but its fixed by going through the setup again).

Ill give that a shot.
Thanks!

Yo!

Just wanted to let you all know that a game called Herobound is currently free on the Oculus store. Haven't tried it yet but it seems to be a lite rpg that takes influence from Zelda. Looks pretty fun and free is free so just wanted to spread the word!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom