• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
It's Win 10 clean install. All my partitions are basic :l.

The log file you posted earlier...was that the full log? It usually lists the reason in these logs. Also make sure you sent a support ticket to oculus if you haven't already with all this information and what you've tried.

Poster#1

The log file you posted earlier...was that the full log? It usually lists the reason in these logs. Also make sure you sent a support ticket to oculus if you haven't already with all this information and what you've tried.

I'll try to mess around and hope it works. Otherwise i'll have to contact them. If anyone know a fix please let me know :).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm interested to hear more about this. The more I use my rift the more I think I need to order prescription lenses ASAP because being short-sighted sucks in VR.

I think there are some impressions of it earlier in this thread. Maybe peruse the other Oculus thread as well?

Yes, my first attempt at racing in assetto corsa had me feel ill on the very first turn. I'd just race a little bit at a time and gradually build up. In less than 2 weeks I was doing complete races without problems. Just don't force yourself through.

Have you tried looking into locking the horizon?

http://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/...-settings-can-cause-vr-sickness-how-to-fix-it
http://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/...n-in-sim-racing-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

Just got it setup with 2xUSB 2.0 cameras for now and still blown away by how good the tracking is. Once I've got the Inateck card and 3rd sensor installed I'm sure it can only get better.

Robot Recall though.... wow. What an incredible intense experience.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

amardilo

I wouldn't leave it too late if I was you, as there's the possibility that vendors (or even Oculus themselves?) might cancel orders if the hardware isn't available to ship within the sale period, or even a 'reasonable' period beyond that. These things remain in very short supply. I had two Rift orders cancelled by a supplier a few weeks ago because they had no stock and weren't sure when they would get some in, if at all.

You snooze, you lose. Maybe.

Thanks. Might have to make my decision this weekend.

I set up my Oculus Rift today minus the Touch controllers (Amazon said it should arrive this week). No problems at all during setup, everything so far works flawlessly. I am very impressed with the graphics, the setup with the alien looking right at you and the dinosaur coming down the hallway were very realistic. I played the first level of Lucky's Tale with my new Xbox One controller. I actually thought my seat was sliding by itself, lol. The world is something hard to describe until you try it yourself. No jaggies at all, you can see the dots/pixels but it's not something that is discouraging. The game is actually quite fun too, like a Mario game.

Tried the Lost video, that was pretty cool but rather short. Google Earth I will wait until my Touch controllers arrive. Any other environment or games to try that are worth it without the Touch controllers for now? All in all very impressed!

Man, trying to get this thing set up for an at-desk usage is horrible.

At least I can skip that "boundary space" setting - since I'm only going to be using it in a chair in front of a desk, I'm not going to be moving.

Trying to complete that "tutorial," though, is an exercise in futility. I simply don't have the space to do the motions it wants me to do - for instance, taking the disk and putting it into the computer, I don't have enough forward space in front of me (or backwards space behind me to move back into before starting) in order to move my hand forward enough to "put" the disk in the computer.

They obviously didn't design this at all to be accommodating to someone who's just sitting at a desk.

Oh yeah, and as expected my glasses feel like they're going to break every time I put the headset on. And my glasses just barely even fit into the eyeslots.
And ordering one of those "custom-made glasses" thing is absolutely not an option, since there's no possible way they would be able to do my glasses with everything that needs to be in them.

Frustrating...

Erekiddo

Mine came today and I'm having difficulty installing anything from the store. It gives me a "Cannot be installed" error. Any tips?

Also, can that open robot tutorial be re-played?

Izuna

Banned
Man, trying to get this thing set up for an at-desk usage is horrible.

At least I can skip that "boundary space" setting - since I'm only going to be using it in a chair in front of a desk, I'm not going to be moving.

Trying to complete that "tutorial," though, is an exercise in futility. I simply don't have the space to do the motions it wants me to do - for instance, taking the disk and putting it into the computer, I don't have enough forward space in front of me (or backwards space behind me to move back into before starting) in order to move my hand forward enough to "put" the disk in the computer.

They obviously didn't design this at all to be accommodating to someone who's just sitting at a desk.

Oh yeah, and as expected my glasses feel like they're going to break every time I put the headset on. And my glasses just barely even fit into the eyeslots.
And ordering one of those "custom-made glasses" thing is absolutely not an option, since there's no possible way they would be able to do my glasses with everything that needs to be in them.

Frustrating...

After the boundry set up and you put the rift on, take the headset off and alt-f4 etc. I do it when I reset it all the damn time

edit: nvm.

I set up my Oculus Rift today minus the Touch controllers (Amazon said it should arrive this week). No problems at all during setup, everything so far works flawlessly. I am very impressed with the graphics, the setup with the alien looking right at you and the dinosaur coming down the hallway were very realistic. I played the first level of Lucky's Tale with my new Xbox One controller. I actually thought my seat was sliding by itself, lol. The world is something hard to describe until you try it yourself. No jaggies at all, you can see the dots/pixels but it's not something that is discouraging. The game is actually quite fun too, like a Mario game.

Tried the Lost video, that was pretty cool but rather short. Google Earth I will wait until my Touch controllers arrive. Any other environment or games to try that are worth it without the Touch controllers for now? All in all very impressed!
Of all the Oculus videos I've watched, Dear Angelica is by far the best. Give it a go even if the art style doesn't appeal.

Dartastic

Has anyone had issues with launching into Steam VR and having the Oculus blow your fuse? I've tried to use my Oculus three times now and three times I've had to go reset my circuit breaker. Not sure if I can even use a different outlet because I live in an apartment and I have no idea how the circuits are wired.

Just got Lasik, but I can't play my Rift until my eyes heal a bit more... It's torture, given that VR is what made me finally take the plunge into fixing my vision (can't wear contacts, glasses too big/uncomfortable)

Has anyone had issues with launching into Steam VR and having the Oculus blow your fuse? I've tried to use my Oculus three times now and three times I've had to go reset my circuit breaker. Not sure if I can even use a different outlet because I live in an apartment and I have no idea how the circuits are wired.

I don't use Steam, but:

Hmm, interesting...

Using the Oculus Rift causes my computer to draw too much power for my UPS to supply, causing it to overload and shut down.
Here's someone else who had a similar issue.

Odd that the Rift + 1 monitor would do that, when 3 monitors wouldn't do that...

Well, back to the drawing board (before I catch this place on fire, anyway)

Tried out Virtual Desktop - it was awesome!
For the 5 minutes or so until my UPS's overload alarm went off.

I really need to get a better UPS.
To be fair, this one is just a cheap little ~$70 thing, and is a number of years old.

It's only rated at 350VA...
Checking APC's website (the UPSs are CyberPower, but APC's grid should suffice), that translates to 200W...
So, yeah...

EDIT: Switched my desktop (the only thing plugged into it) to a 450VA / 347W, and it still triggers it within a few minutes.
Guess I shouldn't have cheaped out on UPSs.

Dartastic

Omg I just spent the last hour playing Superhot vr because I got my new smaller glasses that could fit in the Oculus and omg. Hat is incredible. That's one of the coolest things I've ever played. Holy shit.

Iorv3th

Hmm, interesting...

Using the Oculus Rift causes my computer to draw too much power for my UPS to supply, causing it to overload and shut down.
Here's someone else who had a similar issue.

Odd that the Rift + 1 monitor would do that, when 3 monitors wouldn't do that...

Well, back to the drawing board (before I catch this place on fire, anyway)

Check your UPS manual or on APC website for your model. You might be able to up the threshold on it to allow a higher wattage. I forget what the setting is called.

Stiler

One for the headset and one for each sensor (two by default, can add more), preferably USB3 across the board.

Actualy oculus suggests putting one on usb 2, not all 3 on the usb 3.0's, since usually one controller controls all usb's of that type, this keeps the bandwidth more distributed between the usb controllers instead of putting it all on one.

So two things on usb 3 and then one on usb 2.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2057419

I really want to get attachments for my Rift and stuff like this. But buying and having just a few printed basically pays for a printer. I really need to look into getting one. I've been tempted by the Monoprice select V2.

i got the headset clips for about 4 bucks and some wall mounts made for about 20 bucks.

how much does it cost to get that gun made?

and yea, its funny but the "first contact" app actually applies to real life, where a 3d printer can make oculus more fun.

i got the headset clips for about 4 bucks and some wall mounts made for about 20 bucks.

how much does it cost to get that gun made?

and yea, its funny but the "first contact" app actually applies to real life, where a 3d printer can make oculus more fun.

Like $25 for the full set of prints. But when you can get your own 3D printer for $150-300. And I likely plan to print more things... Well.

Any other environment or games to try that are worth it without the Touch controllers for now?

I'd suggest Alien Isolation with the MotherVR mod if you already own the game. The mod is really well done and it really adds a lot to the atmosphere. I'm in the same situation, waiting for the touch controllers, so that's what I'll play for a while.

FingerBang

Hey GAF, I ordered Oculus + Touch + one extra sensor 2 weeks ago from the Oculus website but it's still in TBA. I don't mind waiting, but in 3 weeks I'm moving to a new place and I was wondering if I should update the order with my new address.

What kind of shipping do they use? I'm in Tokyo.

Poster#1

I'll try to mess around and hope it works. Otherwise i'll have to contact them. If anyone know a fix please let me know :).

So I fixed my problem by installing Oculus software on external harddrive... It seems it's a known issue and people are complaining about it in Oculus forums. It was so fucking frustrating to get this shit to work. No body should go through this dumb workaround.

MDave

I have my Rift and 2 sensors all plugged into USB 2 ports, seems to work with no problems at all, tracking is 1:1 still. Good motherboard perhaps?

Might be worth a try if you have problems with USB 3.

Shifty

Has anyone on here ordered a VRCover recently? I got the basic set off their site but the order's been stuck on "Processing" for two days, and I don't really want to be waiting around like I was with my order from Oculus...

Edit: Scratch that, I contacted customer support and they straight up gave me a trackable shipping number. Still reads as 'Processing' in my account though, would be nice if their eCommerce setup was a little more on-point.

Actualy oculus suggests putting one on usb 2, not all 3 on the usb 3.0's, since usually one controller controls all usb's of that type, this keeps the bandwidth more distributed between the usb controllers instead of putting it all on one.

So two things on usb 3 and then one on usb 2.

Aye, that's true.

To add a bit more detail, I'm fairly sure the USB2 recommendation for the third sensor is to account for the fact that almost nobody has the setup to make that work without buying extra PCI cards.
More bandwidth will always be a good thing, but likely not enough to make a perceptible change if you're already running two of the sensors via USB3.

Also, I was experimenting yesterday and actually found the headset itself to be more stable when running via USB2- when running on 3 it would keep dropping back down to 2 and losing the headphone audio in the process, though that's probably because I'm pushing my mobo's USB chipset to the limit and hitting bandwidth constraints.

I have my Rift and 2 sensors all plugged into USB 2 ports, seems to work with no problems at all, tracking is 1:1 still. Good motherboard perhaps?

Might be worth a try if you have problems with USB 3.

Before I got my Inateck card I had everything going via 2, echoing that it works fine.

3 is a noticeable improvement but by no means essential.

Kudo

Really close to pulling the trigger on the deal.. Just need to confirm few last things:
I have Asus Z170-A (Skylake) computer, I assume this will be more than enough to provide the needed USB power it requires? I read that it needs 3 USB3.0 and 1 USB2.0 so it'll require me to unplug something while I use it I think.
How hassle free is the setup? Is it easy to disconnect the headset when not in use? I have 2 monitors, 1 tv and then Oculus would be 4th display device connected to GPU, don't really want to have that many running at all times. Also I assume Displayport to HDMI cables work with Oculus?
Is the headphones easy to detach and what kind of headphones can be worn over it? I have Fostex TH-X00, can I use these with the headset?
And lastly is it possible to play games that don't support VR in anyway with the headset? Say Overwatch, PUBG and upcoming Destiny 2, maybe through virtual desktop or something? I understand the experience will be subpar but just kind of thinking maybe it'll be cool, any thoughts?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the amount of questions.

Izuna

Banned
Really close to pulling the trigger on the deal.. Just need to confirm few last things:
I have Asus Z170-A (Skylake) computer, I assume this will be more than enough to provide the needed USB power it requires? I read that it needs 3 USB3.0 and 1 USB2.0 so it'll require me to unplug something while I use it I think.
How hassle free is the setup? Is it easy to disconnect the headset when not in use? I have 2 monitors, 1 tv and then Oculus would be 4th display device connected to GPU, don't really want to have that many running at all times. Also I assume Displayport to HDMI cables work with Oculus?
Is the headphones easy to detach and what kind of headphones can be worn over it? I have Fostex TH-X00, can I use these with the headset?
And lastly is it possible to play games that don't support VR in anyway with the headset? Say Overwatch, PUBG and upcoming Destiny 2, maybe through virtual desktop or something? I understand the experience will be subpar but just kind of thinking maybe it'll be cool, any thoughts?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the amount of questions.

1. You need 2 USB 3.0 for Sensors (additional sensors should be 2.0) - - Headset can be 2.0

2. There is no need the disconnect the headset, but if you do it's easy to plug it back in. Make sure the sensors are plugged into the same USB ports and they don't move otherwise you will have to do the setup again.

3. Yes, displayport to hdmi is fine.

4. The headphones are easy to detach, yes, but they should be replaced with the earphones you can buy. I don't think I have ever seen someone put other headphones over the headset and I don't think that would be very good. The ones included are very good.

5. You can do something like theater mode where you see the game on a big virtual cinema screen or something, or within Bigscreen. From what I've heard, VorpX isn't very good and I don't it will ever work with Destiny 2.

Kudo

1. You need 2 USB 3.0 for Sensors (additional sensors should be 2.0) - - Headset can be 2.0

2. There is no need the disconnect the headset, but if you do it's easy to plug it back in. Make sure the sensors are plugged into the same USB ports and they don't move otherwise you will have to do the setup again.

3. Yes, displayport to hdmi is fine.

4. The headphones are easy to detach, yes, but they should be replaced with the earphones you can buy. I don't think I have ever seen someone put other headphones over the headset and I don't think that would be very good. The ones included are very good.

5. You can do something like theater mode where you see the game on a big virtual cinema screen or something, or within Bigscreen. From what I've heard, VorpX isn't very good and I don't it will every work with Destiny 2.

Thank you for the answers! Think I will go forward with the plan.

Shifty

Not sure on this, you'd have to research your specific motherboard and find out how many USB3-compatible controllers it has. The recommended max is two USB3 sensors per controller.
Unless your mobo is shit hot, the best you can probably hope for is two sensors on USB3, then the headset itself and third sensor on USB2.

You can get PCI USB3 cards if you want everything hooked up via 3, but the whole setup will work fine on 2 if you want to get it now and improve it as you go.

Here's the oculus blog post on the subject.

I plug mine directly into the HDMI port, but I've seen reports of it working fine with both DisplayPort and DVI converters. Mine's been plug-and-play thus far, so if pulling cables works for you, you can do it.

The headset comes with a little plastic screwdriver thing that you can use to take them off if you want to use separate headphones. It'll output via whatever audio device you tell it to in windows so there's nothing stopping you on the software side.
They're really nice though- being able to just put the headset on, grab your controllers and go is so much more convenient than having to mess around putting on a separate set of cans and worrying about extra wires that can get caught on things.

You can use Bigscreen Beta via SteamVR to play stuff on a 2D virtual desktop.

If you're after a full-on 3D inside-the-game experience, it'll be a per-game thing. There are tools out there to finagle VR into various non-VR games, but it'll be hit and miss depending on how a given game implements things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom