• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo

Not sure on this, you'd have to research your specific motherboard and find out how many USB3-compatible controllers it has. The recommended max is two USB3 sensors per controller.
Unless your mobo is shit hot, the best you can probably hope for is two sensors on USB3, then the headset itself and third sensor on USB2.

You can get PCI USB3 cards if you want everything hooked up via 3, but the whole setup will work fine on 2 if you want to get it now and improve it as you go.

Here's the oculus blog post on the subject.

I plug mine directly into the HDMI port, but I've seen reports of it working fine with both DisplayPort and DVI converters. Mine's been plug-and-play thus far, so if pulling cables works for you, you can do it.

The headset comes with a little plastic screwdriver thing that you can use to take them off if you want to use separate headphones. It'll output via whatever audio device you tell it to in windows so there's nothing stopping you on the software side.
They're really nice though- being able to just put the headset on, grab your controllers and go is so much more convenient than having to mess around putting on a separate set of cans and worrying about extra wires that can get caught on things.

You can use Bigscreen Beta via SteamVR to play stuff on a 2D virtual desktop.

If you're after a full-on 3D inside-the-game experience, it'll be a per-game thing. There are tools out there to finagle VR into various non-VR games, but it'll be hit and miss depending on how a given game implements things.

Thanks for the answers and link, I'll read that tonight to educate myself on the subject.
Seems like the headphones that are included in the headset should be good for the use so I think I'll stick with that too.

Blam

Thanks for the answers and link, I'll read that tonight to educate myself on the subject.
Seems like the headphones that are included in the headset should be good for the use so I think I'll stick with that too.

If you prefer a earbud instead you can grab the oculus earbuds which aren't actually that bad.

low-G

Really close to pulling the trigger on the deal.. Just need to confirm few last things:
I have Asus Z170-A (Skylake) computer, I assume this will be more than enough to provide the needed USB power it requires? I read that it needs 3 USB3.0 and 1 USB2.0 so it'll require me to unplug something while I use it I think.
How hassle free is the setup? Is it easy to disconnect the headset when not in use? I have 2 monitors, 1 tv and then Oculus would be 4th display device connected to GPU, don't really want to have that many running at all times. Also I assume Displayport to HDMI cables work with Oculus?
Is the headphones easy to detach and what kind of headphones can be worn over it? I have Fostex TH-X00, can I use these with the headset?
And lastly is it possible to play games that don't support VR in anyway with the headset? Say Overwatch, PUBG and upcoming Destiny 2, maybe through virtual desktop or something? I understand the experience will be subpar but just kind of thinking maybe it'll be cool, any thoughts?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the amount of questions.

I have the Z170-A. Works just fine without an add-on slot if you're willing to have one sensor on USB2.0. (Thus, headset on 3.1 with dongle, 1 sensor on the neighboring port (these two will share the same bandwidth without issue), one sensor on a non-neighboring 3.0 port (this one will use a different hub), and 1 sensor on 2.0)

Because of my daughter I have specific placing which blocks my 2.0 ports so I did get an expansion card.

I had a super hassle free initial setup. I disconnect my headset after done, again because of my daughter, no problems. I plug my Oculus headset into the HDMI port direct and use displayport adapters for other connections.

Kudo

If you prefer a earbud instead you can grab the oculus earbuds which aren't actually that bad.

Hm, not a bad idea either and I'd assume they block out the noise better than the headset included.

I have the Z170-A. Works just fine without an add-on slot if you're willing to have one sensor on USB2.0. (Thus, headset on 3.1 with dongle, 1 sensor on the neighboring port (these two will share the same bandwidth without issue), one sensor on a non-neighboring 3.0 port (this one will use a different hub), and 1 sensor on 2.0)

Because of my daughter I have specific placing which blocks my 2.0 ports so I did get an expansion card.

I had a super hassle free initial setup. I disconnect my headset after done, again because of my daughter, no problems. I plug my Oculus headset into the HDMI port direct and use displayport adapters for other connections.

I'll need the HDMI port in GPU for TV, but I think I can swap between the two as both don't need to be connected at the same time.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions!

Synth

Hm, not a bad idea either and I'd assume they block out the noise better than the headset included.

I have the earbuds. They block out external sounds really well, even at lower volumes. Not that I ever use them at lower volumes. :p

Lord Phol

Woooo! Finally got my tracking numbers, two of them so looks like the old bundle. Really hope it isn't a returned or refurbished model, heard some horror stories about people getting non functional rifts this sale :x.

Shifty

Note that this can be a double-edged sword- the immersion will be better if you block out external noise, but when you're still getting your VR legs being able to hear the outside world can help with orientation and motion sickness.

Check your UPS manual or on APC website for your model. You might be able to up the threshold on it to allow a higher wattage. I forget what the setting is called.

Ah, I shouldn't have cheaped out to begin with. I'm just going to go out and get a 900VA UPS, and that should (hopefully) take care of the issues.

To follow up on my UPS issues, I exchanged my 450VA UPS for a 850VA/460W UPS.
Used the Oculus Rift for like 30 minutes with no problems, so it seems that solves that. Huzzah!

Blam

Yeah this times 1000. They are very noise cancelling and once you get immersed you can definitely not hear anything unless it's pretty loud.

Will be ordering this deal very soon but getting confused by USB stuff

If I want the headset, two sensors, touch controllers, and a Xbox controller plugged in how many 3.0 and how many 2.0 ports do I need?

Thanks in advance gaf, can't wait to finally join the VR train <3

Will be ordering this deal very soon but getting confused by USB stuff

If I want the headset, two sensors, touch controllers, and a Xbox controller plugged in how many 3.0 and how many 2.0 ports do I need?

Thanks in advance gaf, can't wait to finally join the VR train <3

Headset: One HDMI, One USB 3.0
Sensors: Two USB 3.0
Xbox Controller: One USB (2.0 is fine)

Soroc

Oh yeah, and as expected my glasses feel like they're going to break every time I put the headset on. And my glasses just barely even fit into the eyeslots.
And ordering one of those "custom-made glasses" thing is absolutely not an option, since there's no possible way they would be able to do my glasses with everything that needs to be in them.

Frustrating...

Have you contacted widmoVR about your prescription? I don't get the give up mentality. Send them an email with your requirements. Worst that happens is they reaffirm your suspiscions, best case they can do it for you.

They didn't have my prescription settings listed on the website. I have a bad astigmatism and my right eye is quite a bit worse than my left. I emailed them my updated prescription and they answered via email with a link to a custom order form on their website and I was all set. Should be coming in this week!

Just write them an email with your requirements and see what they can do! You would be surprised!

Have you contacted widmoVR about your prescription? I don't get the give up mentality. Send them an email with your requirements. Worst that happens is they reaffirm your suspiscions, best case they can do it for you.

They didn't have my prescription settings listed on the website. I have a bad astigmatism and my right eye is quite a bit worse than my left. I emailed them my updated prescription and they answered via email with a link to a custom order form on their website and I was all set. Should be coming in this week!

Just write them an email with your requirements and see what they can do! You would be surprised!

I'll send them something after my next appointment with my neuro-opthamologist and see. It'll likely be a "they reaffirm my suspicions," though.

The tracking sensors, the Headset, and the Xbox Controller dongle require USB ports. The controllers themselves are wireless, but you'll still need to charge the things occasionally :)

Mine use AA batteries...

SimplexPL

Woooo! Finally got my tracking numbers, two of them so looks like the old bundle. Really hope it isn't a returned or refurbished model, heard some horror stories about people getting non functional rifts this sale :x.

Did you order from Oculus store? How much time passed between ordering and getting the tracking number?

low-G

The touch controllers emit infrared light from a bunch of LEDS that you can't see. The sensors read those points of light.

I've read somewhere that the headset and or touch controllers and or sensors also communicate wirelessly (not just via the infrared light), but I don't know the nature of this communication, and I can't recall which combo.

I was thinking it was between the sensors themselves and the other devices.

Maybe I'm all washed up though. I read it in the context of diagnosing "poor tracking quality" messages.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I've read somewhere that the headset and or touch controllers and or sensors also communicate wirelessly (not just via the infrared light), but I don't know the nature of this communication, and I can't recall which combo.

I was thinking it was between the sensors themselves and the other devices.

Maybe I'm all washed up though. I read it in the context of diagnosing "poor tracking quality" messages.

The touch controllers communicate wirelessly with the headset and sends all it's imu data and controller inputs through this connection.

Lord Phol

Did you order from Oculus store? How much time passed between ordering and getting the tracking number?

Aye oculus is pretty much the only place I can order from and get the deal (Sweden). Ordered on the 15th, got processed on the 5th and I received tracking numbers on the 8th. So 3 and a half week :d.

Varg

Banned
Just bought the bundle and I'm in the middle of setting it up. Seems my "vr ready" 1080 only has one hdmi slot . Are you guys buying the display port to hdmi converters ? What's the normal resolution for the vr games? My Best Buy has an adapter I can snag right now but only supports up to 1080p and I game on a 4k monitor . Does the oculus rift work if it's connected to an adapter ?

Blam

Just bought the bundle and I'm in the middle of setting it up. Seems my "vr ready" 1080 only has one hdmi slot . Are you guys buying the display port to hdmi converters ? What's the normal resolution for the vr games? My Best Buy has an adapter I can snag right now but only supports up to 1080p and I game on a 4k monitor . Does the oculus rift work if it's connected to an adapter ?

I couldn't get my oculus to run on a display port so I just switched my other monitor to display port off of a adapter I got on amazon.

SimplexPL

You can use a DVI-HDMI adapter to connect either Oculus or monitor/TV to your PC.

sfried

Do the Touch controllers work on Steam games as well?

I'm split on where to buy REZ Infinite. On one hand, while VR is great, the original REZ was meant to be played on a screen, and DF mentioned it being tied to 60fps doesn't help matters in the HMD area where the native refresh is 90hz. On the other hand, I wanted to be able to play this game with full Touch Controller support, but am afraid Touch compatibility will be broken if I buy it on Steam (which supports VIVE controllers more, and very rarely am I able to use my Touch Controllers with Steam VR save for its home screen).

Izuna

Banned

I'm split on where to buy REZ Infinite. On one hand, while VR is great, the original REZ was meant to be played on a screen, and DF mentioned it being tied to 60fps doesn't help matters in the HMD area where the native refresh is 90hz. On the other hand, I wanted to be able to play this game with full Touch Controller support, but am afraid Touch compatibility will be broken if I buy it on Steam (which supports VIVE controllers more, and very rarely am I able to use my Touch Controllers with Steam VR save for its home screen).

I haven't come across a single game the touch controllers haven't worked perfectly with

I have it on steam with my rift. shit works perfect

sfried

I haven't come across a single game the touch controllers haven't worked perfectly with

I thought there was something about some games working better when they're native Oculus apps as oppose to Steam games? I know some of my Steam games don't seem to recognize the Oculus Touch controllers (ADR1FT being one).

I thought there was something about some games working better when they're native Oculus apps as oppose to Steam games? I know some of my Steam games don't seem to recognize the Oculus Touch controllers (ADR1FT being one).

ive got about 15 steam vr games. all work fine with oculus touch (even the ones that say Vive only like H3VR). and Rez does as well.

Adr1ft is just a developer situation where the developer lists it's supported but its not. That's on the developer. the Oculus version of Adr1ft doesn't use touch controllers either.

Shifty

Games with native Oculus compatibility will be able to support the capacitive buttons and have control layouts designed specifically for the touch, but Steam VR stuff will map across just fine.

Worst-case you'll maybe run into some unintuitive control mappings or see vive wand models instead of oculus touch ones.

So I've set everything up and come to a few conclusions.

A. I need more space. I have the optimal area setup. But it puts me a little too close for comfort to some devices.

B. I immediately knew I needed the ceiling tethers so I ordered those.

C. My glasses are far too large and are miserable to play with. I'm using contacts right now, but I really would prefer not to. I know I can get perscription lenses too for it. But damn the costs are racking up pretty quickly.

Does anyone have the VR long covers and thicker glasses? My frames are by choice/style pretty large so I need something like that. Any short term workarounds while I wait for the new cover if so. Just pulling the rift away from my face about an inch makes a world of difference in comfort and reduces godrays nicely. So I'd prefer something like that.

Varg

Banned
Well, got everyone hooked up and had a blast .... for about an hour . Then the headset and controllers decided to turn off and never turn back on again. I go to the oculus setup again and the headset hdmi and USB are stuck swirling when they were easily green an hour ago. Just gonna bring everything back tomorrow and get my money back. Awesome concept but the tech is just plain shit at the moment. Maybe the next version of headsets will be better .

Edit: seems like I wiggled the wire going into the headset itself and it kicked back on . Not a good sign maybe defective unit but it works again. Gonna go on and exchange it tomorrow at Best Buy and see how the new set feels

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Well, got everyone hooked up and had a blast .... for about an hour . Then the headset and controllers decided to turn off and never turn back on again. I go to the oculus setup again and the headset hdmi and USB are stuck swirling when they were easily green an hour ago. Just gonna bring everything back tomorrow and get my money back. Awesome concept but the tech is just plain shit at the moment. Maybe the next version of headsets will be better .

Edit: seems like I wiggled the wire going into the headset itself and it kicked back on . Not a good sign maybe defective unit but it works again. Gonna go on and exchange it tomorrow at Best Buy and see how the new set feels

The cord might have just been loose or gotten unplugged on the headset. You can pull the face plate off and reseat the 3-in-1 cord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKAmfHnnQ_g

Mascot

C. My glasses are far too large and are miserable to play with. I'm using contacts right now, but I really would prefer not to. I know I can get perscription lenses too for it. But damn the costs are racking up pretty quickly.

I imagine contact lenses dry out pretty quickly in a semi-sealed visor with its own heat source, especially if you blink less in VR like a lot of people seem to. My Rift gets pretty warm during extended play.

That's exactly what I did, I was on the fence for many years and VR is what pushed me. Can recommend.

I can recommend this as well. Not fumbling with glasses or even contacts makes a world of difference. The Lasik place I went to prepared me 100% for everything that was going to happen, realistically (not just ideally), and everything was just as they said. And because I went to their follow-up exams, they've technically promised that I get lifelong touch-ups if my prescription changes. Obviously I can't confirm they'll keep their word yet, but it's a nice potential fallback.

They even were able to discount it some with my insurance, which I didn't think would be possible.

I imagine contact lenses dry out pretty quickly in a semi-sealed visor with its own heat source, especially if you blink less in VR like a lot of people seem to. My Rift gets pretty warm during extended play.

I ended up biting the bullet and ordering the long interface from VRcover. In the interim I may try jerry rig a solution by adding some foam inside the VR cover I have from WidmoVR.

Probably won't work, but as it stands now I really can't play with my glasses.

This is the style of glasses I have
s-l1000.jpg
(Different color, but same model).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Buy on Steam. If it doesnt work, you can refund it

Puggles

Well I guess I have one of the motherboards that have incompatible USB 3.0 ports for the sensors (the headset works fine in 3.0). Everything seems to be working fine in USB 2.0 but is it worth getting one of those PCI-E USB 3.0 cards?

SimplexPL

I'm split on where to buy REZ Infinite. On one hand, while VR is great, the original REZ was meant to be played on a screen, and DF mentioned it being tied to 60fps doesn't help matters in the HMD area where the native refresh is 90hz.

According to Durante (and as we know he can be trusted) its 90fps on the Vive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom